Menu

Agent Orange and a Disturbing Statistic

My dad (65yo) has stage 4 terminal lung cancer. In August, when he was diagnosed, they gave him 10-24 months. He is doing well so far, having chemo treatments every 3 weeks. The thing is, this is my dad's 4th completely unrelated cancer. He is a bit of an anomaly and the Dr.'s at the University of Iowa Medical compound find him quite extraordinary.

His 2nd cancer, to make him all the more unusual, was breast cancer, which he had 9 years ago. He even had a mastectomy. However, given the oddity of that cancer in a man, he began to do some searching.

To make a looooong story short, his search led him to investigate the possibility of Agent Orange, having served in Vietnam. He discovered it was a very real possibility, so he made a claim for his diabetes, which at the time was all he knew he could qualify for. This was in 2003. He never heard anything (shocker, right? :001_rolleyes:).

Forward to this fall. He finds out he now has his 4th cancer, this time of the lung. All of a sudden, he hears from an old shipmate (he was in the Navy) whom he had not had any communication with in the last 40 years (the way this guy found my dad is an amazing story in and of itself). Turns out this man is recently divorced and is kind of lonely, so he had been on a search for old friends to reunite with. When my dad told him of his cancer, this guy was able to give him a plethora of information to help build a case for Agent Orange - something my dad had forgotten about because it was so long ago that he had looked into it without hearing anything from the government. Then, this guy sends my dad a huge amount of paperwork - paperwork that my dad was missing to make a case - so he could make a claim. My dad makes his claim, and with the help of this friend and the DAV (Disabled American Veterans), his case is accepted and, because of the proof from his Dr. that he is terminal thereby accelerating his case, he is approved for Agent Orange disability compensation - 20% for the diabetes, 100% for the lung cancer.

While all that is fantastic, something his friend told him is very disturbing and I'm not sure how or if I should act on it.

I told you that his friend was lonely and looking for old companions. In his search, he discovered that so far, 50% of their shipmates have died of cancer. Is it just me, or is that a very disturbing statistic? I know that it is based on his own searching, and he didn't know everyone on the ship for it to be a statistic of the whole outfit, but still...don't you find that odd?

I just think about those families who are NOT compensated for what their husband, dad, brother endured. It's great that my dad is being compensated for before he dies, and my mother will have some compensation when he passes, too. But what of those families before us? What if they haven't even considered an Agent Orange connection?

Obviously this friend and old shipmate of my dad is armed with more information than I have, so I hesitate to pursue it. But at the same time, it just doesn't feel right to let it go, either. It's an uphill battle, I know. It's the government for Pete's sake. But...what would you do? How would you go about it? Is there a different perspective I should have, for those who work for the government or have spouses that do?

Wow. I don't have any insight on this, but it is SCARY. I am sorry to hear about your dad's cancer, but glad to hear that at least the government is going to have to compensate him.

Would be an interesting movie...or newspaper article??

Maybe see if there are forums out there dealing with this?

Wow. I have no idea. My dad, too, was in the navy and at Vietnam. My dad is your dad's age. He is having problems but nothing that can be linked to anything but heredity.

:grouphug: I'm sorry about your dad.

Maybe someone from the DAV can answer your questions.

we lost a dear friend due to lung cancer. He, too, fought in the Viet Nam war, and his doctors told him the cancer was caused from agent orange exposure. I do know his wife got a HUGE amount of paperwork to fill out for compensation, but I believe this was after his death. I never asked her if anything became of it. I didn't feel right. She had such a hard time after he died. He was a few years older than her and she was only 48 or 49 when she lost him.

Have you considered the possibility of contacting a journalist? I know this isn't always the best choice for action, but if you can work with someone who has more resources you may have a better chance of successfully contacting living shipmates and families of the deceased. Also, the journalist can chronicle the endeavor (through a book, a series of articles, a magazine publication, etc.) giving it more credibility.

Best of luck with it, and prayers going out for your father.

I read your thread with a lot of interest because my dad was in Nam. He was blown off a bridge into a field loaded with Agent Orange. When I was 3, he died from a heart condition that was caused by the A.O. exposure. And of course, it took my mom something like 10 years to prove her case and get a payout.

I think that things like this need to be brought to light...as you said there may be men who are sick and not making the connection on your own. Like a pp I was thinking a local journalist might be a good place to start. Our ABC affiliate has a segment called "Your Stories" that seems like it would be a good fit for this. Getting involved with the DAV might be another route.

Good luck on this journey, and thanks for caring about all our veterans!

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/benefits/herbicide/aono3.htm

A good place to start regarding agent orange claims.

http://www.onlinelawyersource.com/agent_orange/claims.html

Find a lawyer in the state in which you are seeking to make a claim. I also can recommend Social Security attorneys in your state. I think it is shameful how long the military claimed that agent orange was not killing our soldiers. My dentist served there did two tours of duty , did not smoke and perished from several unrelated cancers. If you are in Iowa pm me and I have more names if you so choose.

The province my daughter was born in had a very high number of soldiers who had been exposed to Agent Orange. Her orphanage had a large number of babies and children who were born with birth defects as a direct result of AO exposure, and the effects continue today. It is horrifying, and was deeply disturbing to witness in person. The U.S. government has a long way to go to attempt to compensate the American soldiers and the Vietnamese people who continue to suffer as a result of AO.

Am I surprised that half of your dad's cohorts have died of cancer? No. Cancer is a very common way to die. Cancer & heart disease are the top two leading causes of death. Men have about a 44% chance of getting cancer in their lifetime, and about 1:4 men die of cancer.

But her dad is only 65. None of the men I know in their 60's has cancer. For half of them to have already died of cancer seems excessive.

Janna, my Dad died of cancer. He was career Navy and served during Viet Nam. I pm'ed you with a list of ships. Maybe they knew each other. I'm pretty sure Dad's cancer was prompted by his 4 pack a day smoking habit, but if they were ever shipmates, you have another name to add. I'm sorry about your Dad.

Edited by Audrey

My uncle just recently died of AO related cancer. He fought the cancer for a very long time, was in remission for a long while and then fought it again before passing. During that time he was able to get his case settled and He got a fairly large settlement. He was able to completely pay for my aunt's house and car and leave her plenty to live on. He also bought a house for my other aunt (her hubby had already died) and left money to all of his kids. I never did here what the total was but it sounds like it was pretty substantial to me.

Am I surprised that half of your dad's cohorts have died of cancer? No. Cancer is a very common way to die. Cancer & heart disease are the top two leading causes of death. Men have about a 44% chance of getting cancer in their lifetime, and about 1:4 men die of cancer.

That said, Agent Orange and other herbicides are linked to cancer. You can read more here: http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CancerCauses/OtherCarcinogens/IntheWorkplace/agent-orange-and-cancer

The government has well established procedures for filing claims.

:iagree: Now that I'm in my 50s, seems like every few months someone I know falls off the perch. Two entirely vibrant men, aged 50 and 55, whom I knew from high school died this last summer. I would also bet a good portion of those Navy cohorts smoked. Smoking does more than cause lung cancer. Head and neck cancer, increase in pancreatic cancer, heart disease, etc.

My brother, a Vietnam vet and a heavy smoker, died of lung Ca. His widow told me the VA (where he was treated) fell over itself giving them info on AO, and she wasn't interested in pursuing it. Agent Camel Straights was enough of a cause for her, and she had other worries.

:iagree: Now that I'm in my 50s, seems like every few months someone I know falls off the perch. Two entirely vibrant men, aged 50 and 55, whom I knew from high school died this last summer. I would also bet a good portion of those Navy cohorts smoked. Smoking does more than cause lung cancer. Head and neck cancer, increase in pancreatic cancer, heart disease, etc.

My brother, a Vietnam vet and a heavy smoker, died of lung Ca. His widow told me the VA (where he was treated) fell over itself giving them info on AO, and she wasn't interested in pursuing it. Agent Camel Straights was enough of a cause for her, and she had other worries.

Just to clarify, my dad was not a smoker. He has non-small cell lung cancer which is a lung cancer not associated with smoking. His lung cancer has nothing to do with the testicular cancer he had over the summer, which had nothing to do with the breast cancer he had 9 years ago, which had nothing to do with the colon cancer he had 15 years ago. These are all separate strains, which really, is quite unusual.

I know you aren't saying my dad was a smoker, I just wanted to clarify.

I am very sorry to hear about your fathers cancer. I hope he continues to do well with his treatment.

Agent Orange was a horrible thing and I am glad his shipmate was able to provide him with the information he needed.

I just wanted to add that while it is unusual to have different primary cancers over the course of a lifetime it is not unheard of. My dh's grandfather had 4 primary cancers over the course of his life: Kidney, prostate, colon, and lung. Also, men get breast cancer more often then people think. It really gets me riled up the way men with breast cancer are ostracized by the movement. It is not a woman only cancer.

Agent Orange isn't the only problem hanging out there. Scientists and workers from Oakridge Laboratories have also died in droves and it is suspected that there are major problems in the wake of the Hanford facility out in Washington state, but since the population dispersed when the facility closed, it is hard to prove such a thing....

And those are just two instances that I know about from personal experience. I'm sure there are others as well....

I just wanted to add that while it is unusual to have different primary cancers over the course of a lifetime it is not unheard of. My dh's grandfather had 4 primary cancers over the course of his life: Kidney, prostate, colon, and lung. Also, men get breast cancer more often then people think. It really gets me riled up the way men with breast cancer are ostracized by the movement. It is not a woman only cancer.

Absolutely. I was not saying my dad is the only one with that many primary cancers, just that it is unusual. I don't know of anyone else, and I know his Dr's are certainly interested in him. I'm sure there are people who have had even more primary cancers than 4, too. And absolutely, breast cancer is not a woman only cancer. I guess I don't feel worked up about the movement being for women because honestly, it primarily is. As more men get it, there will be more awareness, I'm sure.

:grouphug:

There were just recently new guidelines for being reimbursed for Agent Orange exposure. THere was a story on NPR with someone from NIH or VA talking about it. They've finally done enough studies or have managed to show a causal (not coincidental) link to AO and more medical conditions. The VA is going back thru old claims in case anyone with a condition that is now covered and was previously denied. Those reimbursements should be retroactive.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129921198

see also: http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/ and http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/diseases.asp - Lung cancer (and other cancers) are on that list.

Janna, my Dad died of cancer. He was career Navy and served during Viet Nam. I pm'ed you with a list of ships. Maybe they knew each other. I'm pretty sure Dad's cancer was prompted by his 4 pack a day smoking habit, but if they were ever shipmates, you have another name to add. I'm sorry about your Dad.

I have lost two friends to lung cancer, both of them smoked, neither of their cancers were related to smoking. With one, it was due to Agent Orange and with another, it was environmental. He used to stir huge barrels of pesticides with his bare hands and arms. He also painted golf carts and would cough up the green paint for days to weeks afterwards. :angelsad2:

Have they ever genotyped your dad's cancers?

No, they haven't. At my last yearly Dr. appointment I met with a new nurse practitioner. As she was going over my medical history and learned of my dad, she strongly recommended that he be tested and then that I be tested, if he had the brca2. When my dad inquired about the test on my behalf, we learned that it is a very costly test (in the thousands) that insurance won't pay for, nor will the VA. So...he decided not to do it and I don't blame him. As far back as we can know, there is no cancer on my dad's side of the family. None. My dad is the first, even among his siblings. It's kinda weird that he's been hit so hard with it.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your daughter and your grandmother, and in a short time frame, too. I can't imagine your pain. I'm so sorry. :grouphug::grouphug:

This thread is really troubling to me. My dad was in Vietnam in the Army. He is in his mid-sixties and is healthy as can be, however I was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer at 17. It really shocked all the doctors because it's almost unheard of kids at my age and background to be diagnosed with that. Guess I'll call him and ask if he'd ever been exposed to Agent Orange. Hope I'm not a ticking time bomb for another cancer. :glare:

What does that mean? :bigear:

Just that the government and the military admit he was exposed to agent orange. As of right now he has no health problems other then some issues with his sperm, tmi I'm sure. However our kids have exhibited conditions that do not run on either side of our family. Because he is on the watch list they (government and military) are looking into problems with the kids.