Menu

Kids are scary!

Just today, my 2yo has:

Tight-rope walked across the back of our rather tall couch (I walked into the room as he finished)

Climbed onto the dining room table and started jumping

Done a complete handstand, using just the tips of his toes to balance against the wall

Found an empty wrapping paper roll and used it to knock down things he wanted from the top of a bookshelf

Moved all the dining room chairs into the family room

Created a slide out of a couch cushion leaned against the couch

Balanced on top of an inflated beach ball

Stolen the broom from the hall closet and attempted to 'sweep' everything in his path

Tried to use the rocking horse as stool to reach something on the kitchen counter

Along with all his garden-variety day-to-day craziness. I am SO TIRED! :tongue_smilie:

My real life friends all seem to have rather placid children and can't understand what this is like. Please tell me someone else has a little boy like this...better yet, that they had one and he grew up to be sane and normal! :lol:

This sounds like a normal day with a 2 year old boy in our family. Thank you for reminding my why I'm thankful mine are now 5 & up :lol:.

So it gets better?! There's hope? :D

I've kind of wondered if he's just going to get bigger, louder, and more creative in his destruction, lol.

My daughter wasn't like this AT ALL. I've been in a state of shock with this child for his entire life. :lol:

My ds (now almost 9) was/kind of still is a crazy kid..

at 2 - 3 he was a climber - furniture was a challenge to be scaled, the long bannister on the steps was rappeled down a few times a day - on the side where the drop to the bottom floor was, he tried catching bees one week and was stung about 8 times, ate a chili pepper in my garden, jumped from the garage roof into the pick up bed (ouch!), propped lawn chairs up by big trees to get up those...then as he got older he discovered electricity and started trying to put htings together with some disasterous results, and one time he caught 8 toads and released them in the kitchen - they all hid under the fridge and stove. Chaos!

But, he is pretty mellow now compared to then...I did have to stop him from dropping a parchute man thingy from the roof last week. I caught him climbing out his sisters' room window.

Sadly, I was just like him when I was a kid! My mom passed but I bet she's smiling...:tongue_smilie:

My ds (now almost 9) was/kind of still is a crazy kid..

at 2 - 3 he was a climber - furniture was a challenge to be scaled, the long bannister on the steps was rappeled down a few times a day - on the side where the drop to the bottom floor was, he tried catching bees one week and was stung about 8 times, ate a chili pepper in my garden, jumped from the garage roof into the pick up bed (ouch!), propped lawn chairs up by big trees to get up those...then as he got older he discovered electricity and started trying to put htings together with some disasterous results, and one time he caught 8 toads and released them in the kitchen - they all hid under the fridge and stove. Chaos!

But, he is pretty mellow now compared to then...I did have to stop him from dropping a parchute man thingy from the roof last week. I caught him climbing out his sisters' room window.

Sadly, I was just like him when I was a kid! My mom passed but I bet she's smiling...:tongue_smilie:

:svengo: *envisioning my future*

My mother claims this child is payback for me. Surely she must be joking. ;)

I had one like that and now she's a team gymnast. Even though she spends a decent amount of hours at the gym she still manages to do many handstands and whatnot in the house and she's ten.

Find a way to channel it someway; gymnastics at 2.5 was the answer for us.

I was thinking of putting him in gymnastics next year, actually. Right now I'm just hoping for some milder weather so we can go outside more, and trying to plan a way to fit the trampoline into the house... ;)

So it gets better?! There's hope? :D

I've kind of wondered if he's just going to get bigger, louder, and more creative in his destruction, lol.

My daughter wasn't like this AT ALL. I've been in a state of shock with this child for his entire life. :lol:

Better? I don't know, but it gets different. I've found the best way to parent boys is to just not watch :D.

That sounds like life in my house years ago. It does get better.

I always wondered when I went to a homeschool meeting and a mom was telling (not bragging--she thought it was normal) that the night before her and her dh had sat down in front of the fire and read for almost 2 hours while the 1 1/2 year old sat and looked at books.:glare: At my house that would have lasted about 2 minutes at most.

:grouphug: Yes, my ds13 was like that but has thankfully mellowed out some. He constantly has to be on the move though. We did find out that he is naturally talented at the drum, so we try to let him play whenever we can. Hopefully once your ds gets a bit older you can channel his energy into something fun and productive.

Sounds completely normal here. DS is 3 1/2 and stuff like that happens daily. Half the time I don't even fix the couch cushions anymore because they are going to be a slide again before I'm done. I really hate it when he uses the indoor slide to make the couch cushion slide longer too, because seriously kid you have a slide to use.

I have found that his trampoline helps some with this, but not completely. I will have him jump while I count to 100 sometimes though if he is getting really bad.

One of his favorite things to do is to stand on the nightstand that is about 3 feet from my bed spread his arms and jump onto my bed. Honestly as long as he isn't actually causing a mess or doing something that is likely to hurt himself I tend to ignore it.

I am so hoping he gets better eventually. His 21 month old sister loves to follow him and do whatever he is doing too, which is always fun since she is so much smaller then him, that half the time I do stop her because it isn't safe for her.

I've heard about these quiet calm children I just haven't had any yet myself. Though to be fair DD is a lot more mellow then DS, but the whole has to do what he is doing doesn't always make it feel that way!

I had (and still do to an extent) a little GIRL like that. If it could be climbed on, over or under she did it. And she always wanted to "help."

See, my little girl wasn't like this at all. She wasn't a girly-girl, either...more like a tiny adult. It was comparatively relaxing. :lol:

That sounds like life in my house years ago. It does get better.

Promise?!?!

:grouphug: Yes, my ds13 was like that but has thankfully mellowed out some. He constantly has to be on the move though. We did find out that he is naturally talented at the drum, so we try to let him play whenever we can. Hopefully once your ds gets a bit older you can channel his energy into something fun and productive.

I look forward to the day he becomes channel-able (hey, new word! :tongue_smilie: ). I try to give him some functional ways to burn off the energy, but it's HARD right now in winter!

Honestly as long as he isn't actually causing a mess or doing something that is likely to hurt himself I tend to ignore it.

I think that's the real trouble...my son is ALWAYS doing something that causes a mess or is likely to hurt him. :tongue_smilie:

Yep, that was my ds. Still is. It IS exhausting . . . and yet at the same time, I'm so delighted with his strength, skill, and ingenuity. :lol:

I have to admit, it IS pretty impressive at the same time as being horrifying...

Mine are 16, and they scare the crap out of me.

Oh dear. Do you at least get to sit down more than when chasing toddlers? I think maybe I could handle the trauma if I just got to sit down for more than thirty seconds at a time... :D

My son was like that. When he was 2 He crawled up the outside of an open staircase that went 2 stories while I was trying to use the bathroom. Yeah. He thought it was a funny game and I was panicing but not trying to show it. And the thing is, I thought I had it blocked with furniture, gates, and so forth. Then there was the day he rode his tricycle down a staircase. When he was 3 I found him tightrope walking across the top of the swingset! He could also get out of anything and climb anything. I met most of my neighbors because he would strip and go over the fence while I was gardening. It would happen before I knew it,and honestly even sometimes while I was right next to him. I had to be very careful and calm in my reactions because if he saw how scared I got, or angry, he would do it again and again.

I joke now that he was like having a mini Evil Kinevel in my home. It slowed down some after I put him in swimming and gymnastics classes. They gave him a 'safer' physical challenge. Instead of finding him on top of the frig I would find him trying to do the lastest moves from class. At 10 he is still a risk taker. He loves 4wheelers, gocarts, fast bikes... He wants to do jumps and loves the high diving boards at pools.

It gets some better because you can reason with them a bit more, but it never completely gets out of their system.

Just today, my 2yo has:

Tight-rope walked across the back of our rather tall couch (I walked into the room as he finished)

Climbed onto the dining room table and started jumping

Done a complete handstand, using just the tips of his toes to balance against the wall

Found an empty wrapping paper roll and used it to knock down things he wanted from the top of a bookshelf

Moved all the dining room chairs into the family room

Created a slide out of a couch cushion leaned against the couch

Balanced on top of an inflated beach ball

Stolen the broom from the hall closet and attempted to 'sweep' everything in his path

Tried to use the rocking horse as stool to reach something on the kitchen counter

Along with all his garden-variety day-to-day craziness. I am SO TIRED! :tongue_smilie:

My real life friends all seem to have rather placid children and can't understand what this is like. Please tell me someone else has a little boy like this...better yet, that they had one and he grew up to be sane and normal! :lol:

Well, I don't know about being sane and normal, :lol: but he grew up, has a wonderful wife, and 7 adopted and foster children. They home school and he is very active in that process. As a job he works for the state cleaning up road kill.:001_huh: He is able to make a decent living working 2-3 days a week and although it isn't the best job in the work he likes it because he gets to spend so much time with his family. As a toddler/child/teen he really did teach me to trust in my Heavenly Father rather than my ability to protect him.

By the way it was my calm, always careful ds that went to sleep while driving and has spent the last 19+ yrs in a power chair. Go figure!

My little man will be 2 on Feb 28, and he sounds just like yours.

The little stool that the kids need in the bathroom to wash their hands has become a weapon of mass destruction! It gets dragged all over the place. All the appliances on the kitchen countertop need to be kept unplugged. A couple days ago he thought it would be a good idea to put the stool at the top of the stairs to the basement (with one leg of the stool hovering over edge of the top step), so he could reach the lightswitch and turn it off. I grabbed him just before he fell down the long, steep steps that end in concrete!

He uses the arms of the couch to balance on and jump off (way too near the tile floor), and today he thought it was great fun to slide off the front of the couch, land on his head and do headstands. He spent most of the day upside down.

He has a terrible attraction to water, and I often catch him in the bathroom sink getting himself soaked. Recently, I caught him *in* the toilet, laughing huge belly laughs as he flushed and flushed.

More and more I find myself walking away because I just don't want to know what he's into now! This child needs shoes with lead soles to keep him grounded!

Neither of the others were like this.

Hm. About the best hope I can give you is that we haven't had any broken bones (knock on wood!).

Have you had equal luck avoiding stitches? ;)

My little man will be 2 on Feb 28, and he sounds just like yours.

The little stool that the kids need in the bathroom to wash their hands has become a weapon of mass destruction! It gets dragged all over the place. All the appliances on the kitchen countertop need to be kept unplugged. A couple days ago he thought it would be a good idea to put the stool at the top of the stairs to the basement (with one leg of the stool hovering over edge of the top step), so he could reach the lightswitch and turn it off. I grabbed him just before he fell down the long, steep steps that end in concrete!

Neither of the others were like this.

I have one of those crazy child-proof doorknob things precisely to keep the toddler out of the bathroom (and the toilet!) and the stool IN the bathroom. He just finds other things to use as stools. :glare:

My older child wasn't like this and I'm desperately hoping the new one due next month is a tad mellower as well!

Hey, did you end up with my boys clone?????? They have done pretty much everything you listed :tongue_smilie:.

Sorry my insane children (Ds#2 and Ds#3) are 9 and 11 and are still insane but it is better than when they were toddler/preschool years.

They will still do some crazy stuff but at least now video games will occupy them long enough for me to breathe and go to the bathroom before the next chaos.

One of his favorite things to do is to stand on the nightstand that is about 3 feet from my bed spread his arms and jump onto my bed. Honestly as long as he isn't actually causing a mess or doing something that is likely to hurt himself I tend to ignore it.

My youngest two still do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ds#3 was into Warrior Ninja for awhile a year or so ago. Obstacle course all through the house!!!!!!!! He tried to crawl across the fridge, he spiderwalked down the hall way, he tried to use the bathroom doors to use as a way to swing across the lava.....

Edited by AnitaMcC