Menu

What words really get under your skin?

For fun, I went through the thread and categorized and tallied the words and phrases causing aversion. I had to make some informed guesses, and in the end included a category for "unsure" (and another for words and phrases that are standard English usage, but which seem to strike some people as nonstandard or impermissible usage). Words were tallied repeatedly if cited repeatedly by different posters.

Here's the breakdown:

Slang/Jargon/Cliches 98

Standard English vocabulary (aversion to sound/association) 47

Non-standard/Dialectical/Regional usage 36

Non-standard/Dialectical/Regional pronunciation 28

"Filler" speech (without semantic content) 16

Coinages 13

Profanity/Vulgarity 13

Spelling errors 5

Standard English usage 5

Unsure 8

Comments: Coinages were the "Rachel Ray" category (a woman of whom I had never heard before reading this thread), plus two deliberately silly words from The Simpsons (redonkulous, embiggen).

Omitting "to be" in such expressions as "it needs [to be] picked up" seems to be a Pennsylvania Dutch and Scottish construction. It's not standard English, but I'd be slow to pronounce it wrong or uneducated.

My favorites:

Fargo (it does evoke thoughts of wood chippers, doesn't it?)

Burger King (mostly because I'm curious about that third trip to BK for their botulism special)

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For fun, I went through the thread and categorized and tallied the words and phrases causing aversion. I had to make some informed guesses, and in the end included a category for "unsure" (and another for words and phrases that are standard English usage, but which seem to strike some people as nonstandard or impermissible usage). Words were tallied repeatedly if cited repeatedly by different posters.

Here's the breakdown:

Slang/Jargon/Cliches 98

Standard English vocabulary (aversion to sound/association) 47

Non-standard/Dialectical/Regional usage 36

Non-standard/Dialectical/Regional pronunciation 28

"Filler" speech (without semantic content) 16

Coinages 13

Profanity/Vulgarity 13

Spelling errors 5

Standard English usage 5

Unsure 8

Comments: Coinages were the "Rachel Ray" category (a woman of whom I had never heard before reading this thread), plus two deliberately silly words from The Simpsons (redonkulous, embiggen).

Omitting "to be" in such expressions as "it needs [to be] picked up" seems to be a Pennsylvania Dutch and Scottish construction. It's not standard English, but I'd be slow to pronounce it wrong or uneducated.

My favorites:

Fargo (it does evoke thoughts of wood chippers, doesn't it?)

Burger King (mostly because I'm curious about that third trip to BK for their botulism special)

What is that I smell? Could it be the thesis for a master's level linguistics project? :tongue_smilie:

"Preggers" :ack2:

What really bugs me though is the misspelling of words like definitely and definately or the mix-up usage of advice and advise. I know it shouldn't bug me as I am sure I write things that annoy others, but those do :willy_nilly: to me. :D

Yes, those and "than" and "then". Dh is bad about these kinds of mix-ups.

No, because subs are grinders. This is what they are called where I grew up in NH.:D

Deciphering regional stuff kills me. When I moved to MA from MI 12 years ago and somebody asked me if I wanted a grinder for lunch I seriously had no idea what they were asking.

I also remember my college roommate asking me if I wanted to go to the "bubbla" with her, AKA the drinking fountain, and just being completely baffled.

So which ones fell into the "Unsure" category. Maybe I should start using those ones in daily speech :D

You can always tell someone who is from a PA Dutch background by the way they say "Lancaster". They put the accent on the last syllable and say it as if they are asking a question. Ask any one else to say the word and the accent will go on the first syllable. I noticed several little quirks like these among the PA Dutch while living in eastern PA.

'Step up to the plate' when used by Britons who know nothing about baseball. David Cameron has been saying it recently. I suspect that it's less loaded with class signifiers than the cricket metaphors that would come more naturally to him.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

What is that I smell? Could it be the thesis for a master's level linguistics project? :tongue_smilie:
Some of us just have our own definition of "fun.":D

So which ones fell into the "Unsure" category. Maybe I should start using those ones in daily speech :D

In fact, the OP's selections fell into the "Unsure" category; I wasn't able to figure out what about "sample" and "tip" was obnoxious. Possibly their overuse? Or use as euphemisms? Or just the sound of the words?

I don't like the word share, when used instead of tell. It gets on my nerves. You tell me something. I tell you something. Do not thank me for sharing something with you, unless it is a physical object.

When someone uses gift as a verb, that screeches at me like squeaky chalk. I don't care if it is correct, as I recall someone here showed when she posted a dictionary entry.

I also heartily dislike it when people use the word addiction in a frivolous manner. To me, having a habit and being addicted to something are two different things. Using addiction to describe a habit minimizes the meaning of the word.

Edited by RoughCollie

I know this is petty, but it has always stuck with me from my student teaching days.

One day I called all the children 'kids'. My supervising professor crawled my *&^% and informed me that they were 'children'. Kids are baby goats. Even thirty years later, when someone says 'kids', all I can picture are a bunch of baby goats.

Oh, my! EVERYONE here (central GA) calls it a buggy. People look at you funny if you call it a cart. :lol:

I am cracking up at this one. I also call it a buggy and didn't realize that I never called it a cart until DS was learning the presidents by using the book "Yo, Millard Fillmore". The example for President Carter was a grocery CART running into things. DS kept saying that the president's name was BUGGY.:lol: We had a loooooong conversation about how some things have two different names.

Moist

"Yummers."

Panties.

Also "wieners." Eww. Call them hotdogs, please! And speaking of food, subs should never be called "blimpies" or "hoagies." Sounds so much like what it does to your figure.

Asked when pronounced as axed.

If you asked your husband a question that is one thing, if you axed him then you may be going away for a while.

:lol:

"Preggers"

"booty" that's almost as bad as "panties"

"v@gina" I am sorry but this is the ugliest word imaginable.

"MILF" don't like the acronym, don't like the look

"snatch" when NOT used as a verb

I also don't care for Va-jay-jay

I can't stand this word-it sounds sleezy.

And referring to employees as "team members". Believe me, when people don't have nearly as much power as those at the top, they don't feel like 'team members', they feel like employees.

supposably

I also do not care to hear people refer to babies as 'it.'

"We don't what it is yet." I know what it is. It is a baby.

Along with another poster's "baby daddy", I despise "baby momma".

Also, creamy. Ew.

Well, the word they get is no walk in the park, either. 'penis' sounds like some sort of industrial vehicle. "The boss said we had to drive the penis over to the quarry".

:lol::lol:

Anywho (as a replacement for "anyhow").

Can't. stand. it.

I think I used this in an email to you the other day:tongue_smilie:

strategize - My dh once called me from work and told me he wanted to strategize with me that night. I asked him to just tell me he wanted to talk next time.

Panty (especially when used by a sales lady at the lingerie department -- as in, "this panty goes with..." or "here's a really great panty"). Gag!

When referring to food:

Sensuous

Sumptuous

Other words:

When someone pronounces "coupon" as COO-pon.

Menstruate (sorry, but I just HATE that word!)

Puberty when pronounced POO-bur-tee

Slacks. - worst word ever.

Funner

Some of us just have our own definition of "fun.":D

In fact, the OP's selections fell into the "Unsure" category; I wasn't able to figure out what about "sample" and "tip" was obnoxious. Possibly their overuse? Or use as euphemisms? Or just the sound of the words?

:D. I'm afraid one person did "coupon" and "sample" in for me. It was the way she said them - it is the "p" sound, I think. Her voice will forever echo in my mind when I hear those words :tongue_smilie:.

"Tip" is on my list because of how it is used in advertising (along with the "p" sound). It comes across as dumbed down information and makes me scorn whatever is said. I also can't bear it when the American public is referred to as a group as consumers. I probably should find other things to annoy me than these but I can't get past them.

"It is what it is"

Is this just a new, trendy way to end a conversation or change the subject? It DRIVES. ME. CRAZY!

I say this a lot. It's one of my favorite acceptance phrases. I was even contemplating buying the rustic sign at a quaint shop on Main Street that says "It Is What It Is."

Sample usage: "The new computer simply wouldn't accept a transfer of the accounts pre-2006. They just won't reconfigure. No, I'm not happy about it, but It Is What It Is. Love that phrase.

I love words and I love the ever-changing face of word choices. It's interesting to me that some of you don't like a newly-minted version of words, but I always find them delish. When writing, they give voice; there's no benefit in speaking like an Oxford Professor all the time. :tongue_smilie: Just sayin'.

But they aren't hotdogs until they are on a bun; if they are still in the package, they are wieners.

This cannot be true, because I would never purchase wieners! Mine must be Beef Franks. At least that sounds sophisticated. ;)

Here's a funny tangent: On a rare occassion when dh had to buy groceries, he bought a couple of packages of fat-free hotdogs. This was baffling to me, because he's not a health-nut of any sort and is always scornful of FF things that should have fat in them. So, I asked him, "Honey - why on earth did you buy FF hotdogs?" He looked sheepish and said, "Well I just saw the big 'FREE!' on the package and I thought they were Free." :tongue_smilie::lol:

Here's a funny tangent: On a rare occassion when dh had to buy groceries, he bought a couple of packages of fat-free hotdogs. This was baffling to me, because he's not a health-nut of any sort and is always scornful of FF things that should have fat in them. So, I asked him, "Honey - why on earth did you buy FF hotdogs?" He looked sheepish and said, "Well I just saw the big 'FREE!' on the package and I thought they were Free." :tongue_smilie::lol:

I shudder to think what the ingredients of free hot dogs would be.

Panties. :ack2::ack2:

"Like" is bad, but I'm, like, still working on eradicating that one completely.

Also "wieners." Eww. Call them hotdogs, please! And speaking of food, subs should never be called "blimpies" or "hoagies." Sounds so much like what it does to your figure.

But they aren't hotdogs until they are on a bun; if they are still in the package, they are wieners. :D

This cannot be true, because I would never purchase wieners! Mine must be Beef Franks. At least that sounds sophisticated. ;)

I shudder to think what the ingredients of free hot dogs would be.

Mine is labeled "nutritious vegetarian weiner product" and I wouldn't accept anything less!;)

I also heartily dislike it when people use the word addiction in a frivolous manner. To me, having a habit and being addicted to something are two different things. Using addiction to describe a habit minimizes the meaning of the word.

:iagree:I'm on a childrearing hiatus from the mental health field. This word being thrown around makes me batty, and costs the user large amounts of my respect. ugh, it's like throwing the word "rape" around. It's VERY serious.

I do appreciate addiction humor, both sides, but just to abuse the word like this, makes me very upset.

My husband comes unglued when I use the words "blessed" and "lucky". They offend his world view. :lol:

Edited by strawberrymama

The word just sometimes bothers me, particularly when it's used to mean merely.

Just grates on me when used in spontaneous prayer. It's like a supplicatory hiccup. Or a solemn form of like; to be used with the Almighty instead of with teenagers.

Father God, we just come before you today, we just want to ask your blessing Father God, and just lift these people up before you....

Panty (especially when used by a sales lady at the lingerie department -- as in, "this panty goes with..." or "here's a really great panty"). Gag!

Ugh, hate this word, too!

When someone pronounces "coupon" as COO-pon.

This is how I pronounce it and according to Merriam-Webster it's a correct pronunciation. ;) But I have heard it pronounced "Q-pin" and that bugs me.

I have said to NUMEROUS people, "When did jackets with hoods get renamed to hoodie?" They always look at me like this: :001_huh: and then :glare: as if I'M the troublemaker just for pointing it out!!

It does describe the article of clothing but in that vein, I nominate "wife beater" (tank top) and "skort".

I will throw that I dislike it when people use the word "hot" to describe someone who is sexually appealing ESPECIALLY if that person is a mother or over 30. Sure, no one wants to be an asexual dud but "hot" is not dignified.

Most words that Rachel Ray abuses. Her little giggle as she explains, "I call it stoup because it's thicker than a soup, but not as thick as a stew....hehehe" makes me want to HURL A LA CRUESETTE AT HER HEAD!!!

Will you throw one at my head if I point out that it's Le Creuset? :leaving:

I hate the following abbreviations:

'puter for computer

'rents for parents

'za for pizza

NOT EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE ABBREVIATED, PEOPLE!

I also hate it when people say they 'heart' something. As in, "I heart asparagus!"

And if you say that you "big puffy heart" something, well. . . you might end up with something puffy on your face, like a lip or an eye. :tongue_smilie:

Oh, and "grow a pair," especially when said to a woman.

I used to get upset when someone would say my kid was "growing like a weed." I actually corrected one of my husband's co-worker's wife and said "Weeds are unwanted. We prefer 'growing like bamboo' or 'growing like a sunflower.'" They still tease him about it. :tongue_smilie:

Service.

As in, "We will be right back to service you."

And gifted.

As in, "I gifted her a bottle of shampoo."

What happened to the word "gave"?

I also missed the "hoodie" and "track suit" transition. It just...all of sudden happened.

Edited by stripe