Menu

Gingerbread kits

Last year we had a kit with premixed icing. This year we had to mix the frosting. If you mix your own frosting, it needs to be thick -like toothpaste.

In any case... you need to let the "frame" harden. You can use canned goods to support the sides while it sets, if needed.

Then you can put the roof on - and again, let it harden.

THEN you can have fun decorating!

Enjoy!

Use a pretty good amount of frosting to "glue" everything in the beginning. You'll have to be really, really patient during this stage. Getting the roof to stay might mean actually standing there and holding it for about 10 minutes. After you get it all glued with icing...leave it alone! :) Don't touch it for at least an hour. Someone stay nearby to noticed is something is sliding. If you'll get it soundly assembled and glued, you'll have a great time with it. This is about our 5th year with one (actually it's a gingerbread train this year) and I remember the beginning being SO frustrating that I nearly gave up.

Well, if you're not eating it-and does anyone actually eat them??? I highly recommend a hot glue gun to glue the pieces together. I help hot glue the pieces together then the kiddos use the icing to decorate. We do them the day after Thanksgiving to kick off the Christmas season and they don't hit the trash until mid way thru January.

Well, if you're not eating it-and does anyone actually eat them??? I highly recommend a hot glue gun to glue the pieces together. I help hot glue the pieces together then the kiddos use the icing to decorate. We do them the day after Thanksgiving to kick off the Christmas season and they don't hit the trash until mid way thru January.

:001_huh:You don't eat them? They are yummy.:lol:

Who has done one of these? We got one as a gift and we are failing miserably with it...any tips before I totally just trash the whole thing???

We do at least one every holiday season. My tip is to build it and let it dry over night before you decorate. And if you are letting kids decorate, prepare for a mess! :D It helps to have zero expectations about what the end product will look like.

My kids LOVE doing this. It's very fun! Enjoy!

P.S. We don't eat them. Usually they usually "decorate" our dining room for a couple weeks and happily disappear. Although I suspect my youngest picks bits off now and again.

I just had a Children's Christmas Party yesterday and we decorated gingerbread houses with 15 small children. I did make the parts from scratch, as well as the icing. An assistant and I assembled the houses on Monday and the kids decorated them on Tuesday. I think they really needed that time to dry. I'm not sure of the quality of the materials in those kits, but we had no problems and if I could figure out how to post pictures, I'd show you them!

In the past we've made our own with graham crackers and bought the kit to make your own. However, this year, I made it even easier on myself and bought a pre-built one for dd6. She was thrilled to just decorate it and it was very stress free. My poor neighbor (who is VERY food/candy artistic) was almost in tears putting some together today.

For those of you who had trouble making it stick together, did you use Royal Icing? It's easy to make with meringue powder, powdered sugar and water. It makes a wonderful thick, gluey frosting that dried hard in about 15-20 minutes. I just propped the walls up for a few minutes with cans of soup and it worked great.

We have done these homemade and with kits. For little kids, I found that you can use those cute little house cartons that Whoppers come in (always at Wal-Mart) with gingerbread or with graham crackers. It gives them a foundation and a treat. Also, get some peppermint sticks (the soft big ones that are straight) to glue to the sides of the building like pillars. It helps hold the seams together and support the roof. Golden Grahams dipped in chocolate on the ends (for glue) make a beautiful and yummy shingled roof. Just have fun and get messy!

Well, I've tried everything known to man and have to successfully build one of these either. We've used the kit icing, let sit for hrs and the walls came tumbling down.

We tried making our own frosting last yr, a special recipe especially for this purpose. It was thick. I let them dry for 24 hrs before decorating. Again, the roofs and walls came tumbling down. I ended up hot gluing them, which wasn't even to successful since the hot glue didn't stick to well to the floury outside of the gingerbread.

Oh man... I literally spent HOURS today trying to get mine to stay together (We got the mini-village with 5 cottages! :glare:)

I wish I would have read about the glue gun sooner!

At least they turned out cute....

That is what I bought we did it last night..very disapointed! Two of the houses or whatever the pieces would not fit together, there was huge gaps so the icing didn't even touch to keep it together. There is also not enough candy to make those things look like the picture at all.

My mother has made homemade ginger bread houses for years and she holds them together with straight pins for sewing together with icing. This does not impact the edbility of the house as long as an adult carefully dissassembles it and removes the pins before children try to eat it. She also places cardboard underneath the roof to help support it. However hers are significantly larger than most of the kits on the market.

You have to use cans for support until it dries (Usually overnight). You can speed up drying process by using hair dryer on COLD and high.

If the icing is too hard to use, make your own Royal Icing.

My recipe:

3 tbsp meringue powder and 6 tbsp water -mix until frothy

Then add 3 cups of powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp cream of tartar and mix in mixer for 5-7 minutes.

If they don't fit together- use a bit of extra icing. Icing hides many flaws. You can go beyond the candy in the kit and use just about any hard candy, colored cereal or frosted mini-wheats, sprinkles, marshmallows, pretzels, cookie bits, etc.

:iagree: Makes the decorating so much more fun!