Menu

Got any great ideas for a Christmas gift for my mother in law?

Digital picture frame loaded with pictures of the kids?

:iagree:I got this for my parents one year and it was very popular! I pre-loaded pics of all their grandkids on it for them.

Also kitchen stuff if she likes too cook -- a nice cookbook (depending on her style, personally I love Taste of Home cookbooks), kitchen towels and a good casserole dish.

Or, a wine gift basket if she likes wine -- bottle of wine or two, nice glasses, cheese/grapes/crackers.

We always give DH's Mom tickets to a show in the spring. DH takes her out to dinner and to the show. It's sort of an "event gift" and allows them a night out just the two of them. Even movie tickets and a dinner out would do in a lean year.

I do the same for my Mom - usually Opera tickets and the two of us go.

Does she have ANY hobbies? For example--

knitting?--buy some wool, new needles, a cute bag for holding yarn

watching TV?--get a dvd of a fav show from the past, or a Netflix subscription

exercise?--pedometer, yoga pants, water bottle (try a metal one), hand weights, exercise band, dvd workout, yoga mat

reading?--bag of books from the library sale (beach reads), fav author (see if you can get a signed copy)

Does she like going to events?-- Tickets somewhere fun

Does she like to go to lunch?-- Gift certificates for some nice lunch places

Does she like to be pampered?--cologne? (maybe a blast from the past--look at Vermont Country Store online for "older" scents) A basket of pretty smelling room sprays and candles? Some wonderfully rich foot lotion and some soft socks?

Can you give us a little more info about her? Is she old or young? Is she fashion and image-conscious? Is she a country club mom or a Walmart shopper? (Not that she couldn't be a little of both!) Does she travel, have hobbies, spend her evenings at Bingo or at the opera?

Cat

a social life outside of church activities, has very few friends still living, leads a sort of boring life. She says she wants to do crafts, but then you try to get her interested and she has no interest. She has no hobbies. She's a Target shopper, not a Walmart shopper, not a country club person at all. She doesn't like to cook anymore.

Does that help any?

we did ceramic photo ornaments of the kids last year. I had pictures of each from the fall that I liked. I went into photoshop and put the kids names and the month and year the pictures wwere taken. We ordered them from Winkplash.com - they were about $10-15 each and we ordered them for all of the grandparents and they all loved them. Since $$$ is tighter this year, I am thinking about doing one ornament with all 3 kids.

If you don't photoshop you can still do this from a regular picture (you can preview it online) and write the name and year on the back with a sharpie.

a social life outside of church activities, has very few friends still living, leads a sort of boring life. She says she wants to do crafts, but then you try to get her interested and she has no interest. She has no hobbies. She's a Target shopper, not a Walmart shopper, not a country club person at all. She doesn't like to cook anymore.

Does that help any?

Would she like to have a hand in getting out of the house? Do you live near each other? Maybe you could sign the two of you up for a craft class like at a scrapbook or yarn store?

How about a magazine subscription? How about a ___ of the month club, especially a food-related one, if she doesn't cook?

Does that help any?

Yes! Thanks!

Can you get her a personal chef service that will deliver her meals to her so she doesn't have to cook?

Since she lives alone, how about a Keurig coffee brewer, so she can brew one cup of tea, coffee, hot cider, or hot chocolate at a time? It's something she might like, but probably wouldn't bother to buy for herself.

Cat

I bought a photo frame that holds a regular (not digital) picture and lets you record a message for my in-laws. I'm going to put a pic of the kids in it and records them saying, um, something. :confused: They live far away so I thought they would enjoy hearing the kids' voices whenever they wanted to. BTW, I bought it at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

I would not do anything with crafts. My grandmother was that way. She always wanted to do crafts because my mom was very crafty, but she just didn't have the knack or personality or patience or something.

Bed Bath and Beyond has had for the last couple of years a tote where you can put pictures in the front in pockets. It wasn't expensive and came in black and maroon. Since she is your MIL I'd try to have pictures on any gift include lots of pictures of kids with your DH.

Restaurant gift certificates is our gift of last resort. When we can't figure out what to get someone.

Gift certificate to a spa to have a manicure or pedicure or facial or massage?

Fruit of the Month Club (just don't watch the episode of Everyone Loves Raymond) or maybe a monogrammed toaster.

This year we are getting my MIL:

a one-cup coffee brewer, not a Keurig (too $) but one with pods

a photo calendar of the kids

a pretty robe/housecoat

a Thomas Kincaide photo/scripture book

White Shoulders powder

I also got on her behalf, and from our whole family, a gift card to a restaurant for her neighbor. She's the kind of neighbor who brings in the trash can each week, helps get the newspaper to the door if it wasn't already, bagged all MIL's leaves this week, etc. I am making her a really nice gift basket full of treats and the restaurant card. MIL considers this part of her gift too because she really needed me to do this for her. Maybe you can help your MIL make treats to give away?

Well, if she's not crafty, but thinks she wants to try/do crafts, is there a senior center in her area that offers a class/workshop or series of classes? A local art center that offers adult classes would work too. Maybe she could find something she enjoys doing w/out having to invest in the time/space to keep the stuff at her house, plus maybe she'd get out & talk to others a bit.... If she's near you, could you offer drop off/pick up service for her getting to/from class? Or even take the class w/ her?

As someone else already mentioned, a gift of going somewhere is fun too. My mom has always really enjoyed when we get tickets to go to an ice skating/Ice Capades type show. This year, there's not one near us, so I'm getting symphony tickets instead (to a show w/ a featured pianist since my mom is a pianist).

ETA: Oops, I see Mrs. Mungo already suggested this too. I guess my whole post was a repeat of other ones.... :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Stacia

• 11 years later...