Menu

Paperback Swap - Is it worth it?

For those of you that do Paperback Swap, is it worth your time and postage dollars? What type of books do you post? What type of books do you order. On average, what is the quality like of the books that you receive? I am sitting on 26 credits at PBS and thinking that it's just not worth it so I am curious to hear about others' experiences.

For those of you that do Paperback Swap, is it worth your time and postage dollars? What type of books do you post? What type of books do you order. On average, what is the quality like of the books that you receive? I am sitting on 26 credits at PBS and thinking that it's just not worth it so I am curious to hear about others' experiences.

For me, it's not worth packing and mailing. I buy my credits for around $3.50 each directly from PBS. I'm happy to help support them and happy that I don't have to pack and ship! I do think it's worth it for the most part, but I'm very particular about the books I order (in that I'll only order books I KNOW I'll love and/or definitely use for school). I've gotten many good items via PBS, including SOTW books, RS4K materials, FIAR guides, etc. With only two exceptions, everything I've ordered has been of very good quality. I have an extensive wish list and don't mind waiting a long time for most things.

But if I were just getting books that I'd read once and give away or try to re-list, no, I wouldn't consider that worth it.

I love paperback swap.

I have received 197 books and mailed 270 books.

I have only had 2 complaints out of 270 mailings and I have not been happy with 1 book out of 197.

You can also sell those credits. I have done it several times. You post in their forums and guaranteed someone will buy them.

I have gotten some great books - they quality is has always been good.

I like that I can add all the books I want and just wait. It's a pain to send the books. But it's nice to get them.

What I list and get varies widely. I list whatever I have that I don't want. I like that I can list it, and if no one takes it, I sell it later at the next booksale or something. My wish list is full of out of print books as well as lots of other books, curriculum etc.

Edited by Steph

I've enjoyed it. I'm someone who has a hard time purging and it motivates me to purge. Shipping is better now that I have bought a supply of envelopes and save salvageable ones I get from Amazon etc.

Moneywise I think it may be questionable. If you are trying to stretch the value, I've heard (and it makes sense to me) that you should forgo ordering any books you can get cheaply at Amazon or a local used book store. Under that theory maintain an Amazon wishlist and use it to look for books you want and can compare prices.

I've kept tabs on homeschoolers who have sent me good quality books. (in good shape, or good values)

Some people seem super persnickety about condition so I now try to PM people on any quirks. I'm purging books from college and grad school so some of mine are quite old!

I'm looking forward to reading other people's tips.

It's been well worth it to me. I had some great success and a few flops on condition. I tend to buy more credits because I have a hard time letting go of books and some I order to preview for ds down the road.

I haven't sent or received anything since August, but that is mostly because of life forcing me to put my account on hold.

I never have more than a few credits at a time because I spend them all. I use most of mine for school books anyway. I ordered all of my LOTR books for LL LOTR from there (that was before the edition change, booger).

I really like PBS. I don't post books for trade that are heavy or very large, because they would cost me more in postage. I'd rather let them gather dust here, put them in a yard sale, take them to Half Price Books, or take them to Goodwill. But for the average paperback book, I definitely trade them at PBS. I have also had very good success with receiving books. One thing I have learned, though, is that if a book could be considered a text book, to ask the "seller" if there is any writing in it, because writing and highlighting is allowed in textbooks, but not in other books.

I never have more than a few credits at a time because I spend them all.

Me too. I have to beg for one from dh now & then, as he usually has several credits and mine are always all gone. I tell him he has to give me credits because I'm getting a book that the kids need for school! Dh mostly trades CDs on Swap A CD (part of the PBS "network"). You can transfer credits between your accounts at PBS, Swap A CD and DVD Swap.

I have received a few great books and many questionable ones. My two most laughable were the one that the student had previously drawn happy faces on the cover and annotated nearly every page in the book. The sender was apparently unaware of the markings. My most recent acquisition is a coveted Barbara Pym book that is a 26 yo paperback that is mottled and is so musty, you can smell it across the room and the envelope it came in had to be discarded. The sender was happy to return my credit as long as I returned the book.

Elegantlion, how do you find school books? It seems that most of what I want is seldom available. I thought it would be a good place to dispose of school books that we no longer use. Many of them are in excellent condition, but I find lately that when I sell them here, it's just not worth the $0.50 I might make on a like-new book. My school books usually do go quickly but I find little to order on PBS. Actually, right now, I would like to stop sending stuff out, but still receive books, but you can't do that with a vacation hold, right?

So, Madame, I can help you, but I can't do that out of the system, right? If I post the book, it would go to the first person on the list?

You can do it out of the system. You can let her know what book you have, agree to send it to her, and then she can send a credit to your account. Otherwise, I don't know if there is a way to post it to your bookshelf and make sure it goes to her.

ETA: I believe people use the PBS forums in this way, to make various sorts of deals, and it's allowed.

I think it is worth it... I find the local used bookstores ask for around $2 on most books at my dc's current reading levels, so, unless the library has the books at the time needed, this is another "cheaper than new" option for me.

I also feel like I am sending out more than I am receiving. I wonder if everyone on PBS feels this way? And, yes, there are long waits for wishlisted books.

My employer, the local hospital, has a business postal account, so I can sometimes send books at a discount. If your employer has a mail-room, you might explore that option and get a discounted business rate.

You can do it out of the system. You can let her know what book you have, agree to send it to her, and then she can send a credit to your account. Otherwise, I don't know if there is a way to post it to your bookshelf and make sure it goes to her.

ETA: I believe people use the PBS forums in this way, to make various sorts of deals, and it's allowed.

This is good to know. If I can help out a board member, I would prefer to do that. I know how difficult it can be to find your school books and stay in your budget. Thank you for the information.

I think it is worth it... I find the local used bookstores ask for around $2 on most books at my dc's current reading levels, so, unless the library has the books at the time needed, this is another "cheaper than new" option for me.

I also feel like I am sending out more than I am receiving. I wonder if everyone on PBS feels this way? And, yes, there are long waits for wishlisted books.

My employer, the local hospital, has a business postal account, so I can sometimes send books at a discount. If your employer has a mail-room, you might explore that option and get a discounted business rate.

You may be right on the bolded part. Thanks too for the heads-up on my sig line. Hopefully, I have it fixed it now.:tongue_smilie:

So, Madame, I can help you, but I can't do that out of the system, right? If I post the book, it would go to the first person on the list?

Looks like if we "friend" each other then I can request a book from you directly.

Oh, wait. That is if the book is already on your bookshelf. Hum, if it's not I guess I can't request it from you on the site because when you post it then it would go to the first person in line. *smacks head*

I do see under the "friends" section that I can send credits to my friends. Sending you an invite to friend me. :)

Edited by Kleine Hexe

I deleted everything from my bookshelf because of several very upsetting transactions. I'm in a season of my life where anything that causes unnecessary stress must go. I have a big box of books I'm going to take to the used book store just like I used to before PBS, and I am quite happy now LOL.

I also feel like I am sending out more than I am receiving. I wonder if everyone on PBS feels this way?

Shipping on the average book is around $1.82 (or it was, it's been a while since I've sent any books out). Even though you receive books for free, I flip that around and consider that it costs me about $1.82 to receive a book (since I have to send one out to get a credit). I only request books that I feel are worth at least $1.82, and I don't send books out that are not worth at least that much. If I have a heavy book that could cost a couple of times that amount to ship out, I consider whether I would be able to get a book from PBS worth that ($4 or more). So in other words, I don't send out more than I receive. I make sure it's worth it both ways.

Edited by gardening momma

I love PBS. Nearly all my transactions have been excellent, and I just find it fun. I was able to get all but two of my oldest ds' literature books for this year there, plus some readers for my youngest dd, and various things for me - mysteries, religious/spiritual, etc. I just got a very nice hc copy of My Life by Bill Clinton, and an awesome copy of Presidential Cookies cookbook.

Shipping on the average book is around $1.82 (or it was, it's been a while since I've sent any books out). Even though you receive books for free, I flip that around and consider that it costs me about $1.82 to receive a book (since I have to send one out to get a credit). I only request books that I feel are worth at least $1.82, and I don't send books out that are not worth at least that much. If I have a heavy book that could cost a couple of times that amount to ship out, I consider whether I would be able to get a book from PBS worth that ($4 or more). So in other words, I don't send out more than I receive. I make sure it's worth it both ways.

This is a good point. I find that my average cost is $2.50-$3.00. So if I were to send out 100 books over the course of a year or two, my cost would be $250-$300. The question I am asking myself is do I get that much value in return? I used to be able to count on our library for a good selection of used classics for $1-3. That's not happening anymore.

I only request books that I feel are worth at least $1.82, and I don't send books out that are not worth at least that much.

I should re-word this. If I have a book that I picked up for pennies and would be cheap to mail out and I'm confident that someone will want it, then I'll post it. It's a cheap way to get a credit worth $1.82 (or more, depending on your average shipping costs). Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to pawn off cheap books on someone. I weigh whether it's better to trade the book through PBS (what's the value of the book you can receive in return?), or sell it in a yard sale, Half Price Books, etc...

I just put my account on hold until we're done moving. We're living overseas and the sources of English books are the base library, the small corner of the base exchange, Amazon and the thrift store. English books in town are about twice what the price on Amazon would be.

Here's why I've liked PBS

-I purged books off my shelf that I otherwise might not have. I was more critical about what books I was keeping if I felt that I could redeem them by turning them into credits (especially for homeschool books).

-It has encouraged my kids to let go of books that they would otherwise let linger on their shelves.

-For homeschooling books that we were done with or that hadn't been good fits, I think the value of the credit was more than I got at used curriculum sales.

-It gives me access to older titles that I might otherwise have trouble finding. (In the last couple weeks I've ordered a romance from the 1960s that I enjoyed as a kid and a climbing history book that the movie Northface was based on.) My kids like the Battletech series, which is pretty much out of print. You can find them occasionally at used bookstores, but we just don't have much access to those.

I use my wishlist a lot. I've gotten Ruth Beechik homeschooling books, other homeschooling reference and other good stuff by just being patient. I'll list books that interest me but that aren't time sensitive. (And my offerings have certainly blessed others that way.)

Most of the books that we've gotten have been in surprisingly good shape. I've gotten over 100 books. Only one has come arrived in poor enough condition to warrant reporting it as a problem. I've honestly been surprised at how many books look like they were almost new.

I wanted to add:

We live in an apartment tower. I've often found books in the lobby where people leave give away stuff that I've listed and had snapped up. Especially books on Japan or crafting.

I've also used credits to buy books for my emerging reader son that I probably wouldn't have ever bought new. But he's at that stage where I'm tempting him with all the golden goodness that can be found inside the covers of books. So trading a book that was mine for a Berenstain's Bear Scouts chapter book is a good trade for us.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

Elegantlion, how do you find school books? It seems that most of what I want is seldom available. I thought it would be a good place to dispose of school books that we no longer use. Many of them are in excellent condition, but I find lately that when I sell them here, it's just not worth the $0.50 I might make on a like-new book. My school books usually do go quickly but I find little to order on PBS. Actually, right now, I would like to stop sending stuff out, but still receive books, but you can't do that with a vacation hold, right?

Many of the books I've ordered from school come from recommendations here. Also when I've been searching for textbooks I often check amazon reviews after doing a search at PBS. I got a wonderful high school geography book that way, an introductory college Earth Science text that I opted to use this year for school (had never heard of it before), and even a few Dolciani math books, including a coveted 1960s Geometry book. I used to spend a lot more time searching and think it's a great way to preview something like textbooks.

When my account is active I make sure not to list more than I can afford to send out at one time, but that's usually not a problem.

Many of the books I've ordered from school come from recommendations here. Also when I've been searching for textbooks I often check amazon reviews after doing a search at PBS. I got a wonderful high school geography book that way, an introductory college Earth Science text that I opted to use this year for school (had never heard of it before), and even a few Dolciani math books, including a coveted 1960s Geometry book. I used to spend a lot more time searching and think it's a great way to preview something like textbooks.

When my account is active I make sure not to list more than I can afford to send out at one time, but that's usually not a problem.

I didn't even think to look for textbooks as I assumed they were too bulky to send out.

Do you all use Delivery Confirmation? Do you print your postage through PBS or not to keep costs down? I went and checked my numbers. I had no idea I had received 50 books.:blushing: I am on about a 1:2 ratio for received versus sent.

I didn't even think to look for textbooks as I assumed they were too bulky to send out.

Do you all use Delivery Confirmation? Do you print your postage through PBS or not to keep costs down? I went and checked my numbers. I had no idea I had received 50 books.:blushing: I am on about a 1:2 ratio for received versus sent.

I do not print my postage through PBS. I just go to the post office. I do have a little scale at home that I use to estimate the weight if I'm unsure how much the book will cost.

For textbooks...make sure you ask the seller about writing/highlighting, since it's allowed in textbooks.

I do not print my postage through PBS. I just go to the post office. I do have a little scale at home that I use to estimate the weight if I'm unsure how much the book will cost.

For textbooks...make sure you ask the seller about writing/highlighting, since it's allowed in textbooks.

Thank you. You have really been a lot of help. I didn't really do much with PBS until this fall when I needed numerous books to supplement the few ancient classics I had in my permanent library in order to work with my senior.

Thank you. You have really been a lot of help. I didn't really do much with PBS until this fall when I needed numerous books to supplement the few ancient classics I had in my permanent library in order to work with my senior.

I think that you would also be able to find lots of copies of standard texts for high school or college level literature or history classes. Things like Penguin classics.

I've also had good results when I did searches that were more general. For example searching NOLS for any of their outdoor books or "Christmas" or "Climbing" instead of just for a title that I knew about.

Pretty good for field guides too.

I think that you would also be able to find lots of copies of standard texts for high school or college level literature or history classes. Things like Penguin classics.

I've also had good results when I did searches that were more general. For example searching NOLS for any of their outdoor books or "Christmas" or "Climbing" instead of just for a title that I knew about.

Pretty good for field guides too.

I didn't even think about field guides. Swimmer Dude has quite a list in that category. This is beginning to feel like one of those slap the forehead and mutter, "Oh duh!" threads.:D

I used it quite a bit this spring and early summer. I have never gotten back from a vacation hold since I went on vacation in late July, broke my leg in Yellowstone in mid August, and am still in a walking boot in late Nov. SInce I have a number of credits, I could request some books. I haven't used any for my kids yet. I have ordered some mysteries for me and one sci fi for my husband. I am using it to reduce my mostly homeschooling kids books.

I didn't even think about field guides. Swimmer Dude has quite a list in that category. This is beginning to feel like one of those slap the forehead and mutter, "Oh duh!" threads.:D

Well we all have those occasionally.

I've also taken to browsing the recently posted or available in bars for books I didn't know I needed until I saw them.

• 2 weeks later...

Lately, though, I have had to use the "Vacation Hold" feature. I was getting 10 requests for books a week for awhile and was spending way too much for postage. I have got so I am on "vacation hold" 2 weeks out of each month in order to sync my sending out of books with payday. While on "vacation hold," you can still receive wish list books or order other books. All you have to do is go to your wish list, select the books you know for sure you want, and put "Auto Request On." As long as you have credits, your wish list book will be automatically sent to you.

Thanks. This was a really helpful explanation.

What I find weird is that I have very obscure reading interests and yet when I put a book on my wish list, I sometimes have a lot of people in front of me. I am number 467 on one book. Another book had a total print run of maybe 100. Only a few people are looking for it but it is never available. Out of our Christmas wish list of about 20 books or so, I was able to get one. Since a lot of the books we are interested in are science, history and reference, we don't mind waiting for them but if you need something popular in a short amount of time then you need to look to other sources. It seems to work best if you are interested in popular fiction, current politics and angels (?).

Since I live out in the boonies and have more intellectual tastes--it works for me. I buy books at Half-price's clearance section, goodwill, or garage sales and trade those for what I really want. Very cost effective.

I've noticed that having more than 15 credits at a time is a waste for me. It takes me too long to get things I want. So 2-3 times a year (usually right before a holiday) I input books, do a whirlwind week or two of trading and then keep myself on vacation hold the rest of the time.

What I find weird is that I have very obscure reading interests and yet when I put a book on my wish list, I sometimes have a lot of people in front of me. I am number 467 on one book. Another book had a total print run of maybe 100. Only a few people are looking for it but it is never available. Out of our Christmas wish list of about 20 books or so, I was able to get one. Since a lot of the books we are interested in are science, history and reference, we don't mind waiting for them but if you need something popular in a short amount of time then you need to look to other sources. It seems to work best if you are interested in popular fiction, current politics and angels (?).

Well, I have a few books that I have on my wish list just because they are so difficult to lay hands on at all. So if they should ever go into the system, I want to be in the line to get them.

And you never know with the wish lists. I posted a few logic books that were wish listed with several people wanting them. It was over a week before anyone finally accepted the offer and it seemed that the wish list was totally cleaned out at that point (ie, when I posted the second copy, it wasn't wish listed by anyone). So even though you are a ways back, there may be reasons (vacation hold, low credits, lost interest) why the people ahead of you decline the book.

I think if you go to your friend's wish list, find the book on her list, click the "post book" button, I believe it will be offered to your friend. I think this is the way to do it (I saw it under one of the FAQ's a long time ago), but I've never done it.

I love PBS. I try to always send out excellent books, not just silly twaddle that are a dime a dozen, or cheap to send. I like finding good homes for my books. I've always believed that you get what you give. :)

It doesn't really matter what you post, as long as someone requests it. So whether it's a highly desired silly twaddle book or a highly desired science book, it's about the people who request it, not who sends it out. You won't get twaddle if you don't request it, even if you do send it out. :)

You are absolutely correct. :)

But that wasn't exactly what I meant. ;) I meant to say, that I enjoy sending excellent books out to people who will enjoy them; I am fortunate enough to have received many books from PBS that were high quality, wonderful books in excellent condition; that I think the integrity and enjoyment of PBS is best when everyone is generous in their giving and not limit the books they send only to what is cheapest, etc. I received a wonderful, thick, Saxon math manual from PBS (back when we used Saxon). I was so very grateful that someone decided to ship it, despite the fact that it is not the lightest book in the world! I'm also thankful for having received many books that might have sold for much more on the the used book marketplace, but someone decided to post it on Paperbackswap instead. (Who can afford the inflated prices of OOP books?)

And, I admit it, I have an easier time letting go of my books when I imagine them being received with joy by someone who'll really appreciate them. I'll stand by what I said earlier; you get what you give. :)

Happy Weekend! MM

Edited by Medieval Mom

As PBS is only for the USA, we use Bookmooch, which is a similar concept except that one cannot buy credits. For international books you pay two credits for a book and earn 3 when you send one out.

For me it has been absolutely worth the time and effort to send books out. Most of our SOTW additional reading books come from Bookmooch. These books seem to be freely available 2nd hand in the USA, but obviously not here. Dd loves the American Girls and Royal Diaries books and they've all come from Bookmooch too.

On Bookmooch the wishlist system is unforetunately not first come first served, the first person who asks gets the book. I do miss out on popular books because of the time difference.

As a previous poster said, I calculate what it costs me per book I receive by adding up the price I would have got for the books had I sold them + postage costs. I was lucky to receive a few boxes of books for free that I could also send out and that has also made it cost effective. There's no way I would have bought the more than 400 books we've received from Bookmooch new.

I've only had one really bad mooch where the book I received was in very unreadable condition. Now I make a point of checking condition notes and the sender's track record.