Menu

Wild plans with a friend of mine, tomorrow we are ...............

going for a bra fitting. Now, how wild is that for 2 40 year old women to do:glare:

Seems like we don't lead very exciting lives if this is the best we can come up with for our holiday weekend get together.

Each year for maybe 10 years or more we have done the bit of shopping (like usually under 30 minutes), lunch and a funny/chic flick movie. This year we couldn't think of any good movies to see and this was the best we can come up with.

We will get supper and have fun anyway. We have just been talking about needing to do this for quite a while and decided that tomorrow is "the day".

We are going to a woman's store in a local downtown for the fitting. I am sure the bras will be very expensive but even 1 good one would be nice. My "girls" can use all the uplifting they can get.

Has anyone else gone for a professional bra fitting? It is really helpful?

I love (seriously!) doing the bra fitting. Okay. I am very, very shy and have a hard time dealing with that aspect of it. But it is so nice to find a bra that fits perfectly! I am a strange size and can never get one that fits properly. It is just so worth it to go through the uncomfortableness of the fitting to get a great fit.

My favorite store, if you have them in your area:

http://www.soma.com/store/home.jsp?ICID=Soma_Link

I was talking with a friend recently and she said she had spent one entire day bra shopping and couldn't find a single one that fit good. I can walk into Soma and find several that fit great within 30 minutes.

Anyway. Have fun. It is really worth the expense and the 'ugh' factor.

I love it. Consider this. A 40 something mom going to Victoria's Secrets with her lovely 20 year old daughter and doing the same thing. We had a great time! What we were trying on we thought were 2 for 20 dollars. We were seriously wrong. They were 2 for like 100.00 bucks. Daughter and I left the store empty handed! But we had a great time.

I love it. Consider this. A 40 something mom going to Victoria's Secrets with her lovely 20 year old daughter and doing the same thing. We had a great time! What we were trying on we thought were 2 for 20 dollars. We were seriously wrong. They were 2 for like 100.00 bucks. Daughter and I left the store empty handed! But we had a great time.

My friend and I considered Victoria's Secrets but we weren't sure we could find any "sturdy Christian underwear" (as Tamar Myer's Magdalena would say" there. We are both a bit bigger in size and don't need the plunging, cute prints, cleavage inducing models. We just want nice, comfortable, well fitting bras with decent coverage.

I looked at a few of the stores mentioned but there aren't any in our area at all.

I had that done last spring and was so glad I did! I hadn't realized that my cup size had increased over the years. I thought the reason my bras weren't fitting was because I needed a larger chest size, and I couldn't understand why no bra was ever very comfortable on me. (How dumb was that?)

The bras at the fitting store were very, very expensive. I bought one to "pay" for my fitting, and then I bought a bunch more very inexpensively at the outlet mall.

I'd still be walking around in total ignorance if I hadn't had that fitting.

I had one done at Nordstrom's quite awhile ago and it was so worth it. I had done one at Victoria Secret years before and it was a waste of time, but the Nordstrom fitting was so professional and she had me try on dozens of bras. All the women in the undergarments dept. there have some button on that says something like, "40% of all women are wearing the wrong bra size" or something like that. I believe it.

Oh yes, a proper fitting by someone who knows what she's doing is quite valuable! I had a great fitting at maternity shop once. Also, if there's not a nice lingerie store near you (ditto on soma, I sure don't mean Frederick's of Hollywood!), go to the intimates section of a high-end department store such as Nordstrom's, Talbot's or Lord & Taylor. Remember, as others have said, you don't have to buy a bunch of expensive bras, you really just want a professional sizing.

It was such a big deal for me to go into a bra shop and get properly fitted a year or so ago. No wonder my bras werent feeling so good- I was bigger than I thought! But still, after buying a bra for $60 and taking it home..I found I just couldnt stand the underwire- which has always been the case for me. After leaving the bra in the drawer for 6 months and wearing my saggy old comfortable bras, I decided to rip out the underwire- and now I have a bra I will wear that actually fits, too.

I definitely have a wild side and I found going bra shopping very daunting!

I went to Victoria's Secret today for a fitting (took dd8 along for a girl's day that was so fun!)... I've nursed continuously for almost 12 years now, and with an end in sight, (ds is now 41 mos. old and down to about 5 times a week) dh and I decided it is time to ditch the nursing bras and get pretty ones:) I am so excited!!!

Dunno about bra fitting, but SpecialMama and I got together tonight. She arrived when my nurse was here. Nurse asked us what we were going to go do. My answer? "Don't know, don't care. No hubby, no kids, wooo!"

We then tried to shock her with our wild antics.

• Debated if we spotted a serial killer had just exited some trees. SpecialMama actually went to look, in case a victim was there. I stayed in the car to wait...and honk loudly if a gibbering maniac with tattoos on his tongue jumped out of the bushes. Figured out it was just a guy walking his dog.

• Sat and quizzed each other from the new game I bought for Diva...a geography/social studies game.
  • Listened to a 'what animal is this' cd. In my defence, it wasn't my car, my cd, and I did beg for mercy.

My nurse looked unimpressed. Even mentioning curricula shopping didn't seem to thrill her.

I have a story for her next wk though. I went totally wild and crazy when we were out tonight. Spent a ridiculous amount of money for a bit of ice cream.

Wild, I tell you. *swaggering off*

ps...I won the game, btw. :tongue_smilie:

Just be prepared to get a size that's a lot bigger than you expect. Maybe not in your case, but everyone I've ever know who got a professional fitting at a decent store came home with at least one cup size bigger--one person thought she was a DDD, but turned out to be a G. I've never even heard of that size! (It's really just two sizes after DDD--DDD can be called E).

Gotta get my girls into the shop soon, too...wish I knew of a good store around here!

We went tonight nad it was a very "uplifting" experience. My friend was fitted, tried on ONE and LOVED it so much that she wouldn't take it off.

I was fitted and tried on 3 and kept the 3rd one. The first underwire hit a rib (I had had heart surgery as a young child and they had broke that rib so that might be it) and then the 2nd had plastic stays that poked me but the 3rd one seems to be uplifting.

I spent $72 for a top quality bra and a set of little "shields" to avoid the headlight effect :-)

The lady said she would even come to our woman's ministry night and do fittings for free for those that wanted them.

Isn't well, kinda embarrassing? :blushing:

Or is there some modest way to accomplish this fitting?

If you go to the Soma website someone linked earlier they give you a guide on how to measure. I haven't done it yet, can't find the tape measure, but it can be done in the privacy or your own home. :D I'm betting there is more to the fitting, maybe showing you what style would work best, but you can at least determine your size at home.

Isn't well, kinda embarrassing? :blushing:

Or is there some modest way to accomplish this fitting?

Honestly the lady was very professional and it was more funny than embarrassing. I went with my friend and she started with me (my friend said I had to go first) and then when I was out walking around she started with my friend. Then I had to sit in the chair for a few minutes, etc. She does that so that you make sure the bra fits while sitting, standing, etc. She even asked what types of jobs I do, etc. to make sure that the bra fit my lifestyle.

I am happy with what I got as it is a "sturdy Christian underwear" style (for those who have read the Magdalena books). It is pretty and comfortable but has comfort and function as main priorities.

We then went and I bought shoes at the running store. The lady there thought my friend and I were just a hoot. I don't know what was so funny about us but she thought we were a riot.

We did laugh those as they had a T-shirt in the running store that said "support the girls" and we thought we should get those to wear for publicity for our woman's ministry bra fitting we are going to try to get set up for a future date.

Honestly the lady was very professional and it was more funny than embarrassing. I went with my friend and she started with me (my friend said I had to go first) and then when I was out walking around she started with my friend. Then I had to sit in the chair for a few minutes, etc. She does that so that you make sure the bra fits while sitting, standing, etc. She even asked what types of jobs I do, etc. to make sure that the bra fit my lifestyle.

I am happy with what I got as it is a "sturdy Christian underwear" style (for those who have read the Magdalena books). It is pretty and comfortable but has comfort and function as main priorities.

We then went and I bought shoes at the running store. The lady there thought my friend and I were just a hoot. I don't know what was so funny about us but she thought we were a riot.

We did laugh those as they had a T-shirt in the running store that said "support the girls" and we thought we should get those to wear for publicity for our woman's ministry bra fitting we are going to try to get set up for a future date.

Looking forward to reading your church bulletin in the near future. :lol: