Menu

Any other inked/pierced homeschoolers?

LOVE those. You and I think alike it seems -- here's the link to my tattoo story -- The Reader's Tattoo

For those reading between the lines, yes, the butterfly mostly symbolizes a baby we miscarried, though I tend to just say "loved ones we've lost" when talking to people, rather than go into the whole story. I would like to get a 2nd color added to it, the color of my dear stepmom's birthstone, as it has come to symbolize her to me as well.

And here is a photo for anyone who doesn't want to go over to my blog --

[ATTACH]3825[/ATTACH]

ETA: It's on my left shoulder blade, and the whole thing is about 4.5" across/up and down, and I love it.

I love all the meanings behind your tattoos!! My husband and I want to get matching tattoos that represent our Chinese birth year symbols. His is a dragon and mine is a snake. We've got it all planned out. He just has to work up the nerve. I also want to, like I mentioned, have my tree finished, and I want to have the word "Worthy" tattooed on my foot to remind me to walk worthy of my calling from the Lord (Ephesians 4) and to remind me that I am worthy.

I had 3 holes in my lower ears, 1 in the top of the right ear, and my naval, but my body never really took to the piercings so they have all just closed up and scarred. (Really badly, I might add.) My dh and I both would like tats but have never been able to decide what we want.

I used to be against them. I actually admire certain ones. I admit, I'm chicken. #1 I've been pregnant or nursing for goodness knows how long #2 the pain, the possibility of infection or disease (hep scares) #3 it's just so permanent! If I got one, it would be in an easily covered place and it would have to really mean something to me, a mix of celtic and native american. Two of my sisters and their mother got matching tats on their feet. One sister has a tat of a rosary and the other just got a cherry blossom branch done up her side (beautiful work). I know they have more, but nothing that really stuck out to me.

My son's nouna has a friend that does beautiful henna work and there are a lot of henna artists out at the boardwalks in Jersey. I've considered having henna done as it's not permanent.

I have a Costa Rican Poison Dart Tree Frog on the back of my neck (the blue and red one). WHen I was on college I wanted tattoo but decided that I would wait 5 years after I graduated to see if I *really* wanted it. Five years coincided with my divorce and I still wanted one, so I chose a tree frog.

I was teaching high school at the time and one of my students was in AP art and doing her portfolio using frogs. She drew it for me and used a pic of my tat in her final senior portfolio with her original sketch.

At the time I said that poison dart frogs are really pretty and cute and won't bother you, but if you try to mess with them, you are in trouble (kind of a commentary on where I was after my divorce). Now I saw the FROG stands for "Fully Rely On God".

I have double piercings in my ears and a very old rose tattoo on the upper part of my left booK. Thanks to the march of time, it's now a long-stemmed rose. :D

I've been wanting a nose piercing for years, but have put it off. I'd like some more ink when our finances get better.

My husband has 6 tattoos and will probably get one more when he retires.

I won't officially be a homeschool until 2012, but I have some ink/piercings. My only tat is a very small cherry blossom branch behind my ear. I'm more partial to piercings because they aren't as permanent. I have ears (of course), cartilage, tragus, and a bad girl piercing (don't ask). I really like dimple piercings, but I've heard a few horror stories. I don't want scarring in the middle of my cheeks if I get tired of it and I can't cover it up when I have to pretend to be professional.

I want a tattoo. I think I'm too fat. Can't do it on my arms, they're fat. Can't do my legs anymore as I have cellulite and vericose veins. I'm just a mess. Or at least that's how I perceive myself. I have told dh that if I ever lost a considerable amount of weight I would get a tat to symbolize a new me. Don't know what yet. Probably something from nature. Nakia, I like that tree on your arm. And I like the orchid idea. My favorite flower is an iris, so maybe that. But I'm 43 so I'm not seeing it happen.

My luck I would get something after losing weight and then gain it all back again and have some gross distorted gray-green blob on my skin...:001_huh::lol:

I have

-a rose/butterfly on one ankle, my first tattoo, in memory of a boyfriend that died when I was in High school,

-a celtic knot on the inside of that ankle that I did with a friend who has the same one

-a bee on the top of one foot-my name means honey bee in Greek

-a moose on one deltoid-for some dumb reason, I have been called moose since jr high...I won't let DH call me that and thankfully my siblings have stopped more or less.

-a stork on one breast, I am a labor and delivery nurse

-an arm band with flowers on it and my name on the other deltoid....and roses to cover exDH's name.

That is all I am getting. It was a phase in my early 30's but I am over it now. I wish I didn't get the ones one my arms, they are so big and now I am embarrased to wear t shirts that have shorter sleeves on them. I don't wear tank tops anyways but now definately not.

No piercings...had my belly button done at 30 but it got all kinds of nasty infection so it lasted about 2 weeks.

I've got a dot. Long story, don't ask.

I'm not morally against tats, piercings, guages, etc. I think tasteful is the way to go. Of course I mean what I find tasteful. :D

Well I have to be the defiant one and ask, simply because I know your posts and it has got to be a hilarious story. Maybe not for you, but for us. :lol: Oh please please pretty please tell us the story of THE DOT. Please? :D

000_0006.jpgHere's mine! The daisies are for my parents and sisters. The stars are for my husband and children.

I'm going to second a previous poster, this is pretty: but where is it on you, if you don't mind sharing? I'm envisioning an ankle but it's just not working out LOL, or is the photo turned sideways? I just can't picture it :tongue_smilie:

I love all the meanings behind your tattoos!! My husband and I want to get matching tattoos that represent our Chinese birth year symbols. His is a dragon and mine is a snake. We've got it all planned out. He just has to work up the nerve. I also want to, like I mentioned, have my tree finished, and I want to have the word "Worthy" tattooed on my foot to remind me to walk worthy of my calling from the Lord (Ephesians 4) and to remind me that I am worthy.

Nakia, this is so funny - the next tattoo I want to get is a matching w/DH one. We have designed a phoenix tattoo that incorporates our initials. Just waiting on the chance to leave the kids so we can go get it done! (he was supposed to get a matching one to what I have already, but decided against that and chose the phoenix instead, after a rocky time in our marriage).

Love the idea of "worthy" on your foot!

Nakia, this is so funny - the next tattoo I want to get is a matching w/DH one. We have designed a phoenix tattoo that incorporates our initials. Just waiting on the chance to leave the kids so we can go get it done! (he was supposed to get a matching one to what I have already, but decided against that and chose the phoenix instead, after a rocky time in our marriage).

Love the idea of "worthy" on your foot!

Thanks! I love the idea of matching tattoos with my sweetie.

I want a tattoo. I think I'm too fat. Can't do it on my arms, they're fat. Can't do my legs anymore as I have cellulite and vericose veins. I'm just a mess. Or at least that's how I perceive myself. I have told dh that if I ever lost a considerable amount of weight I would get a tat to symbolize a new me. Don't know what yet. Probably something from nature. Nakia, I like that tree on your arm. And I like the orchid idea. My favorite flower is an iris, so maybe that. But I'm 43 so I'm not seeing it happen.

My luck I would get something after losing weight and then gain it all back again and have some gross distorted gray-green blob on my skin...:001_huh::lol:

Thanks!!

Tat and I'm still summoning the courage for the nose piercing I have always wanted. I think this move is the perfect time to do it!!!!

Go for it! My nose piercing was a piece of cake. Seriously. It hurt for a few days, but just off and on, not constantly or anything.

I'm going to second a previous poster, this is pretty: but where is it on you, if you don't mind sharing? I'm envisioning an ankle but it's just not working out LOL, or is the photo turned sideways? I just can't picture it :tongue_smilie:

It looks like it is over her shoulder, collar bone area w/her head bend sideways for a better picture....that's what it looks like to me...

Well I have to be the defiant one and ask, simply because I know your posts and it has got to be a hilarious story. Maybe not for you, but for us. :lol: Oh please please pretty please tell us the story of THE DOT. Please? :D

#1 - thanks for asking. I wanted to do the same. ;) Parrothead, please share!

#2 - I think we're looking at an armpit, aren't we? The tattoo is on the back shoulder and wraps around to the armpit?

That is really pretty!

Do you mind saying what part of your body it's on? I can't tell from the picture, but I love how it seems to wrap around to the side of whatever it is. Looks like a great location.

(if I'm being too nosy, just ignore me)

Thanks! My tattoo on my shoulder. It wraps over the top, like a tank top strap. I love it!

I really wasn't meaning to ignore anyone. Sorry for now checking back in sooner. I'm sure the mystery of my tattoo location has been keeping some awake at night! :blushing:

It's over my left shoulder, like a tank top strap. The only way to see it all at once is to look from the top down.

I have 3 right now. Rose with tribal on my left wrist, heart on my ankle and a calla lily on my lower thigh. I plan on covering my back and arms and more of my legs. Dh has both lower parts of his arms covered, upper back, back of his neck, some on the legs and is getting ready to finish his sleeves and cover his chest.

All piercings are closed now, but did have upper ear lobes, lip, eyebrow, and tongue.

hsmom:

Well, piercings can be taken out, of course, so it can be a bit harder to argue against them getting piercings sometimes, when they start getting interested. For tats, 18 is the minimum age, usually. (And really, should be, too, I think.)

18 is the min age without the consent of a parent here. You can get one at 16 with the permission of your parent. Now I see nothing wrong with them getting a small tattoo at that age. I surely won't let them sleeve themselves out or get anything huge till they are old enough to know what they want and are old enough to go get it themselves. But if my daughter wants a small flower or something on her ankle then I will let her. Same for my sons.

Not many people I know regret their tattoos. Now this is not the norm probably and really depends on the people whom you put yourself around I guess.

Yep - no regrets here :)

In fact - this evening I'm getting my second... I'm a bit nervous. He said it could take anywhere from 4-6 hours!

I've been working with him on the deisgn for 6 weeks now - its a phoenix, going on my right shoulder.

As for my kids - I've told them numrous times that they should wait until they are at least 25. I didn't get my first until I was 32..... and I'm glad I waited.

18 is the min age without the consent of a parent here. You can get one at 16 with the permission of your parent. Now I see nothing wrong with them getting a small tattoo at that age. I surely won't let them sleeve themselves out or get anything huge till they are old enough to know what they want and are old enough to go get it themselves. But if my daughter wants a small flower or something on her ankle then I will let her. Same for my sons.

Not many people I know regret their tattoos. Now this is not the norm probably and really depends on the people whom you put yourself around I guess.

This sounds like my thoughts/attitude as well.

A good rule of thumb someone gave me, and what I used myself, and will tell my boys if/when they ever want one (my boys are 13, about to be 10, and 5.5) is to think on the design/placement for one year. If at the end of that year, the same tattoo is still wanted, they will have our blessing (this assuming they are under 18).

I would still encourage that after they turn 18 as well, but of course won't be able to enforce it.

Just seems to make so much sense, it being a permanent thing and all.

*I would likely make an exception in the case of, say, a memorial tattoo or something, though I'd still encourage a waiting period of some sort.....

i started getting tattooed at 16. i had a friend with a gun and well...i can say that i wish i had waited because the tats i got when i was young are crap. the ones i got once i'd grown up (my shoulder pieces) are beautiful, well thought out pieces done by a competent artist.

in fact, that competent artist is working on some cover-up pieces for one of the crappy ones i got when i was too young to know better!

;)

And I've already gotten a weird pm from person. ugh

Did you forward it to the mods?

He made a weird post on the HS board and I immediately recognized the "voice" and went looking for other posts. Of course I went straight to the tattoo/piercings threads. :rolleyes:

At least now we can follow him around and make sure he doesn't request that parents post any more pictures of their "adolescent boys." Blech.

Jackie

The only piercings I have are 2 in each ear, and I hardly ever wear earrings anymore. I'm surprised they haven't closed.

No tats -- not enough nerve. I do love to get henna tattoos though. Does that count? When I try to do it myself it looks stupid, but we have quite a few moms and teen girls in our local hs group that do it. I usually have one of them decorate me at park day.

Did you forward it to the mods?

He made a weird post on the HS board and I immediately recognized the "voice" and went looking for other posts. Of course I went straight to the tattoo/piercings threads. :rolleyes:

At least now we can follow him around and make sure he doesn't request that parents post any more pictures of their "adolescent boys." Blech.

Jackie

No, but I will.