Menu

Opinions: Ds's teacher advises class on how to vote.

Ds17 told me yesterday that his marketing class instructor asked his group of high school seniors how many of them voted on Tuesday. A few hands went up. According to ds, the teacher then proceeded to tell the kids how he voted, which was, "[Political party], [political party], [political party]..." and so on down the ballot. (Obviously, I'm trying to avoid any potential bias by not naming the party.) The class also discussed various issues that were on our ballot on which, ds relates, the teacher began arguing a position for a particular initiative. (I'm proud to say that ds challenged his teacher on it and lead him to a point that the teacher conceded ds was right!)

I have SO many problems with this, I don't know where to begin! I think this true story which actually occurred on Tuesday while I was volunteering in dd9's classroom actually sums it up. Some kids in dd's class asked their teacher which Senatorial candidate she was voting for and the teacher replied thus, "I'm not going to answer that because, as your teacher, I'm in a position of influence over you." Enough said!

What's the opinion of the Hive?

If the discussion took place after the election, I don't feel he was advising them how to vote. He was just discussing who and what he voted for. Some people like to do that. They even put little signs in their yard that tell you exactly who and what they are voting for :D.

High school seniors? The day after the election?

This wouldn't bother me.

If it had been the day of the election (so the teacher could have influenced their votes), I would have thought it was inappropriate. The day after? Totally different story.

:iagree:

As long as the tone of the conversation remained respectful throughout I wouldn't have a problem with it. It might have been a more useful exercise in a civics or debate class.

I do have a problem with it. This was not a poli sci class or even history. I do not appreciate having politics be the subject of every single class. Around here, it can be. All of the teachers belong to the same unnamed party. Students are actually teased and harassed about their opposing views in math class!

Being seniors and 18 or near it doesn't make indoctrination any more acceptable. The teachers are still in a position of influence. The indoctrination is still effective, even more so if it is subtly done. If their college professors hadn't done this, maybe there wouldn't be so much political homogeneity in the public school and college teaching profession today.

Some kids in dd's class asked their teacher which Senatorial candidate she was voting for and the teacher replied thus, "I'm not going to answer that because, as your teacher, I'm in a position of influence over you."
I like this one. Stick to the subject you are supposed to be teaching. The kids have no choice but to attend.

No problem with it after the election. Before or the day of, I'd have a problem with it. I think it's instructive to show kids that a voter should consider the actual issues instead of being influenced by being a member of X political party or the incessant advertising or so-and-so has more yard signs or "well, she's hot" etc.

My dh was told by a client that he (the client) was voting for a particular candidate because "she's hot" (anyone guess, based on my location? :rolleyes: ). This guy didn't know anything about the candidate's stand on actual issues or her background, just her appearance. Jeepers.

I just re-read the OP. A marketing class would be a great environment to discuss the political process----advertising both positive and negative, robocalls, the money involved, local vs national influences, etc.

I had a lot more to say about political indoctrination going both ways but I'll just leave it alone.

:D

Yes I have a problem with an agent of the State (assuming PS) endorsing a political party, particularly when one party more strongly supports the interest of that agent more than the other.

:iagree:

If the election/ballot initiative relates in some way to the subject of the class, and if the teacher is able to conduct a discussion that is unbiased regardless of their own personal views - then yes, it would be okay. Otherwise, not appropriate.

I would think a good teacher would be able to lead a discussion about elections/politics relevant to a high school subject without identifying the party they voted for or even their views on controversial issues.

The teacher's political views are not relevant and I believe it was extremely inappropriate for the teacher to divulge who he voted for, even though it was the day after the election. Teachers' opinions can have an effect on kids, not just for a day but for years. Heck I remember the views of one of my college professors twenty years later. At the time, I thought he must be right. (If I had studied more of that class at the time :o, I might have come to a different conclusion. Instead that took another decade or so. And that was macro theory :tongue_smilie:.)

The title is a misnomer and is designed to get people stirred up. The teacher did not advise the class on how to vote. He did tell them how he voted the day before. While I do think that he should have kept the details quiet, I would be very surprised if any of the kids remember the specifics on how that teacher voted (other than perhaps a general "he's a __republican/democrat_") by the next time they vote.

If it had been the day of the election (so the teacher could have influenced their votes), I would have thought it was inappropriate. The day after? Totally different story.

Same. It sounds like it encouraged debate, the teacher was open enough to concede a point to his student and it didn't influence the students' votes in any way. And I would bet that the OP's son wasn't the only one who took the experience home to discuss with parents, which encourages further discussion about political issues and process.

It would have been most appropriate had the teacher said up front some verion of "Your mileage may vary, the discussion is what's important." (I don't know if this happened, but I'd be surprised if it didn't.) The idea that thinking high school students need to be sheltered from opposing views in the interests of political correctness is more bothersome to me than the teacher sharing his opinions after the election. They're almost adults, who are or will soon be voting.

And OP, good for your son! It sounds like he was able to articulate his position clearly and defend his viewpoint. What great experience. :)

Cat

The title is a misnomer and is designed to get people stirred up. The teacher did not advise the class on how to vote.

Same. It sounds like it encouraged debate, the teacher was open enough to concede a point to his student and it didn't influence the students' votes in any way. And I would bet that the OP's son wasn't the only one who took the experience home to discuss with parents, which encourages further discussion about political issues and process.

It would have been most appropriate had the teacher said up front some verion of "Your mileage may vary, the discussion is what's important." (I don't know if this happened, but I'd be surprised if it didn't.) The idea that thinking high school students need to be sheltered from opposing views in the interests of political correctness is more bothersome to me than the teacher sharing his opinions after the election. They're almost adults, who are or will soon be voting.

And OP, good for your son! It sounds like he was able to articulate his position clearly and defend his viewpoint. What great experience. :)

:iagree: with all of the above.

Jackie

I think it's one thing to facilitate a discussion amongst the students about the initiatives and candidates, it's another thing for a teacher to be arguing a specific position. I think that was totally inappropriate.

:iagree: The teacher should have kept his opinions out of it and led a general discussion and/or debate among the students. Students shouldn't have to argue with their instructors over opinion. Politics isn't like math where there is one correct answer.

This has been such an interesting thread. At first I thought I absolutely agreed that the teacher should not have done what he did. Then as I read why others thought it was fine, I realized I probably agreed with that, too. Now I have no idea what I think. :D I don't care about sheltering kids from the ideas of others. We're hardcore liberals in a far-right conservative family, so my 6yo already knows people believe all kinds of different things. Just last week my brother, who is a financial planner, told her, "The size of your Christmas gifts depends on whether or not income taxes increase for the wealthy." :lol: (He was joking of course.)

I don't shelter my kid from much, other than the really bad things she just doesn't need to worry about at her age. So in that respect, I have no problem with a teacher saying anything about politics. On the other hand, it really, really bothers me for someone in a position of authority to tell teenagers what they 'should' believe. I guess it would all depend on how the teacher handled it. If he simply explained how he voted and why, the I wouldn't care. If he belittled students who disagreed, that would bother me.

I can't tell from the way that you've written your post whether the teacher's comments were made Wed (the day your son told you about it) or whether they happened on Tuesday, when presumably the polls would be open after school.

I do not think it is appropriate for a person in a position of authority to state how s/he voted. It's egregious if it was done on Tuesday, inappropriate but not a huge deal on Wednesday. Knowing the teacher's political choices will not be limited to this class, but will get around the school, also figures into my thoughts. I don't see it as a matter of "being exposed to other views" duh high school students should be exposed to other views, but the teacher should attempt to be a neutral arbiter of any discussion.

I have no problems with teachers occasionally discussing matters not immediately germane to the 'lesson,' and I have no problems with a teacher disclosing their voting habits to a classroom full of seniors. When my kids are 18, I certainly hope they have enough mojo that I don't worry unduly about protecting them from people trying to push their point of view.

With much younger children, more care should be taken, because they are far more likely to give their teacher's words more weight than they might merit. Seniors? They should have a bit of discernment; if they don't, a teacher spouting off about politics is the least of their worries.