Menu

Deep breath. It's GOOD to let go, right?!

My oldest is 18; she'll be 19 in January. She's at a 2nd grade level educationally though, speech days, developmental delays and disabilities since birth, in a special needs school/life skills class and so on.

She's never had a lot of social opportunities. She goes to a Special Olympics sports practice 2X a week over much of the school year after school, that's her main social life.

She has an adult woman who takes her out for five hours once a week to work on skills and goals while doing social outings, sometimes with the woman's 14 y/o daughter along, too. She loves doing that.

Once a month now that she's turned 18, she is in a social program where they pick her (and others like her) up once a month and take them out to an evening social event like a dance, movie, dinner, the mall, mini golf, bowling and so on- all supervised.

Once in a while someone from school will come over but hardly ever. She's never really been invited to someone else's house. Ever.

Well today out of the blue she came home from school beaming from ear to ear and saying that her friend is going to an amusement park tonight with her older (grown) sister and the sister's husband and 4 y/o son and they're going to take Melissa with them. It's about 45 minutes away.

I was skeptical at first because she tends to say things like "my friend invited me to a concert! My friend's taking me on vacation!" but it's never really REAL, KWIM?

But not two minutes later the phone rings, and it's her friend calling her. And the friend put the grown sister on the phone with me, and the sister said that yes she's taking her sister, and the sister wanted to bring a friend, and that it was fine with her, and she could pick my daughter up at 3:30 and have her home around 11:30 if it was okay with me.

She'll be here any minute.

Gulp.

I'm a little nervous!

I've never even met this person! Will she supervise as closely as I would? That kind of thing.

But how can I deny my 18 y/o daughter this chance to do something fun with a friend... that NEVER happens!!! It'll be okay, right?????

My oldest is 18; she'll be 19 in January. She's at a 2nd grade level educationally though, speech days, developmental delays and disabilities since birth, in a special needs school/life skills class and so on.

She's never had a lot of social opportunities. She goes to a Special Olympics sports practice 2X a week over much of the school year after school, that's her main social life.

She has an adult woman who takes her out for five hours once a week to work on skills and goals while doing social outings, sometimes with the woman's 14 y/o daughter along, too. She loves doing that.

Once a month now that she's turned 18, she is in a social program where they pick her (and others like her) up once a month and take them out to an evening social event like a dance, movie, dinner, the mall, mini golf, bowling and so on- all supervised.

Once in a while someone from school will come over but hardly ever. She's never really been invited to someone else's house. Ever.

Well today out of the blue she came home from school beaming from ear to ear and saying that her friend is going to an amusement park tonight with her older (grown) sister and the sister's husband and 4 y/o son and they're going to take Melissa with them. It's about 45 minutes away.

I was skeptical at first because she tends to say things like "my friend invited me to a concert! My friend's taking me on vacation!" but it's never really REAL, KWIM?

But not two minutes later the phone rings, and it's her friend calling her. And the friend put the grown sister on the phone with me, and the sister said that yes she's taking her sister, and the sister wanted to bring a friend, and that it was fine with her, and she could pick my daughter up at 3:30 and have her home around 11:30 if it was okay with me.

She'll be here any minute.

Gulp.

I'm a little nervous!

I've never even met this person! Will she supervise as closely as I would? That kind of thing.

But how can I deny my 18 y/o daughter this chance to do something fun with a friend... that NEVER happens!!! It'll be okay, right?????

Yes, it will be okay :grouphug:. How wonderful!

Sniff, sniff. Thank you! She just left. The sister seemed really nice, promised to keep an eye on her.

I'm really happy for my daughter and nervous all at the same time. I am a little teary eyed myself! Nobody has ever invited her anywhere and meant it, ever that I can recall. I just couldn't tell her no based on some over-protective thing, this meant so much to her...

I hope she does fine though!

Sniff, sniff. Thank you! She just left. The sister seemed really nice, promised to keep an eye on her.

I'm really happy for my daughter and nervous all at the same time. I am a little teary eyed myself! Nobody has ever invited her anywhere and meant it, ever that I can recall. I just couldn't tell her no based on some over-protective thing, this meant so much to her...

Super cyber hug, girly squeels and Mommy tears :grouphug:

No matter when they make that first step it's so heart warming it hurts.

How did it go :001_smile:?

I have to confess (bad mom I know) I fell asleep before she even came home (which was at nearly midnight). I was SO tired lol. I had talked to her on the phone at one point a little after 9 PM though when she had called to check in and say hi so I knew she was doing well and having fun!

My hubby was up and waiting for her when she got home (he's way more of a night owl than I am), and I talked to her this morning.

She had a blast! They walked around, they ate, they went on rides, they played games (she won a Webkinz playing a game)! And she really had a nice time.

I was SO happy she made a friend who wanted to socialize with her outside of school. I will be keeping this girl's number and letting Melissa invite her over in the near future, I hope that they stay friends! I think it's so good to have social opportunities and relationships outside of a structured setting, and she's never really been able to have that!

Anyway it went great- I'm glad I let her go (literally and figuratively) and I'm glad she had fun!

How lovely! I got a little teary eyed too! Are you considering having your daughter write a quick thank you note to the sister? Or maybe from you... just a suggestion since it sounds like such a wonderful gesture on the part of the sister. She must be very thoughtful!

And it's so great that your dd has a new friend to invite over... I'm just so happy for her!!!

How lovely! I got a little teary eyed too! Are you considering having your daughter write a quick thank you note to the sister? Or maybe from you... just a suggestion since it sounds like such a wonderful gesture on the part of the sister. She must be very thoughtful!

And it's so great that your dd has a new friend to invite over... I'm just so happy for her!!!

I was just going to say the same thing.

I have to confess (bad mom I know) I fell asleep before she even came home (which was at nearly midnight). I was SO tired lol. I had talked to her on the phone at one point a little after 9 PM though when she had called to check in and say hi so I knew she was doing well and having fun!

My hubby was up and waiting for her when she got home (he's way more of a night owl than I am), and I talked to her this morning.

She had a blast! They walked around, they ate, they went on rides, they played games (she won a Webkinz playing a game)! And she really had a nice time.

I was SO happy she made a friend who wanted to socialize with her outside of school. I will be keeping this girl's number and letting Melissa invite her over in the near future, I hope that they stay friends! I think it's so good to have social opportunities and relationships outside of a structured setting, and she's never really been able to have that!

Anyway it went great- I'm glad I let her go (literally and figuratively) and I'm glad she had fun!

:D Nance, that is so wonderful to "hear."

:grouphug:

You've made my Monday.

Edited by lionfamily1999
typing with my toes