Menu

Best combination of "Asian" and "American" math curricula for you long-term?

jer2911mom

I'm interested to hear what combination of "Asian" and "American" math curricula has worked best for people long-term. I've read a lot of threads about using one as the spine and the other as a supplement, and would like to find out what the majority seems to be doing (realizing I'll need to do what's best for my dc).

Thanks!

1st dd: Horizons, then Singapore (not at the same time)

2nd dd: Miquon and Singapore PreK-2, then BJU (and one yucky year of Saxon)

3rd ds: Miquon, Singapore, and R&S

For 3rd, I plan to stick with the Miquon until we complete the series, and the R&S until he has his facts down completely, then we will just go ahead with Singapore, pulling in other resources less formally.

We've dabbled in other things, but really it's been Singapore straight through until high school, at which point we added in "extra" topics (Statistics, Number Theory, etc.) that Singapore didn't cover, and so we branched out.

We're making a transition to Art of Problem Solving now, after NEM 1 & 2. It's not "Asian" or "American"... it's kind of its own little thing.

For us, I foresee using a hybrid approach of Singapore, MM & TT until prealg, when we will switch to CD. I love aspects of each.

Dd 6 is working through RS B, but will switch to the above list for 2nd & beyond.

I was wondering what "we will switch to CD" means exactly. Thanks!

We have finally (and I mean FINALLY) settled on a permanent math sequence for our kids. We are doing Singapore + CLE.

We love Singapore, but my kids were forgetting things two weeks after we learned them. There just wasn't enough review for them. CLE has the student do a speed drill every day and my kids' math facts retention is so much better right now. CLE also constantly reviews the material. My kids need a lot of review...

DD is using Singapore as a spine. I pull from Miquon every now and then when she needs more time for things to "sink in" (and the topic is covered in Miquon). She also does an Abeka math test once per week (instead of a Singapore lesson) and the Math Drills from the Abeka Test book.

ETA: I forsee us using this through elementary school!

Edited by hopeallgoeswell

We're using Math In Focus, which is labeled as a "Singapore approach". Our local homeschool supply store sold it to me as "Saxon's version of Singapore math" although its published by Houghton Mifflin.

I really like it so far. I like the quick lessons, I like the way they teach the lessons, I like the colors and pictures in the books, and I like the workbooks too.

MM and MUS - we switch whenever they hit a conceptual wall in one curricula, and inevitably, we manage to break through that particular concept with the other curricula on the second go-round ...

This is what I am doing as well. MUS is our primary math, but my little man is such a whiz at math that I needed something to challenge him. I like the way Mammoth Math looks at a problem differently.