Menu

REALLY struggling with science

delaney

I got RSO space and earth to use with my 1st and 5th grade girls. First let me say that I do not like to learn or teach science and that has been one obstacle. I am not an experiment lover. I need to either ditch this or learn to tweak it. Is there a curriculum that will allow me to run these 2 girls side by side? i love the way Elemental looks but it seems like it will be too easy for the 5th grader. Noeo looks really great but which do I choose for the 2 of them so I don't have to buy and run 2 different levels?

The girls do love crafts, experiments, lapbooks....that type of stuff.

Please save me from my science misery!!

I don't have any advice, but I'm definitely watching for replies as I'm in the same boat. We're using the same thing, and even though I bought the experiement kit from homesciencetools.com, I still seem to not have the supplies needed for many of the experiments, and I am not an experiment lover either. My kids sure do love them though, but I find since I hate experiments so much I'm skipping them a lot....

I'm using Elemental Science - Chemistry - with my 3rd and 5th grade dds and they're loving it. We've struggled with science the last two years but this is actually getting done. I don't think it is too easy and she can always research a topic she finds interesting on her own.

I'm doing Real Science 4 Kids with my 1st, 3rd, and 5th graders. I did buy both Pre-Level 1 and Level 1. So far I haven't found it hard to do both levels simultaneously, because the experiments are similar, well laid out and easy to follow. However, I think it would also be easy enough to just have my oldest read the Level 1 book and do the simpler experiment with the younger two. It's not a cheap program, but I bought all in pdf format, which was cheaper, so I can print as I go and print as many copies as necessary for my kids. So far, in 5 years of homeschooling, it's the first time science has ever gotten done.

Also, if you like Elemental Science, which I have not used, do a search in the archives. The author has suggestions for how to use it with an older kid.

There are skads of books out there on science...fun to read, colorful, etc. Can you do read alouds and someone else, like hubby, do the hands on? If you get supplies ahead of time, he could knock off most in just a few minutes on Saturday morning. For planets, your elder could make a simple series of short talks for your younger. The earth part has more hands on experiments, but with some prep, it won't take long. There are more in chemistry, but again, with prep, someone else can do them fairly quickly. You could watch. You might like them!!

What about just reading? You could just use the Unit topics from RSO and check out library books. Most science books have lots of "try this" activites in them, while you are reading you can keep an eye out for things that can actually get done. Or just read!

Have you seen Living Learning Books? http://www.livinglearningbooks.com/newllb/index.php

Ooohh, wait, what about Great Science Adventures? Every lesson makes little mini books your girls might like. It is more crafty then lab or experiments and should be good for both girls http://www.commonsensepress.com/greatscience/default.htm

There are skads of books out there on science...fun to read, colorful, etc. Can you do read alouds and someone else, like hubby, do the hands on? If you get supplies ahead of time, he could knock off most in just a few minutes on Saturday morning. For planets, your elder could make a simple series of short talks for your younger. The earth part has more hands on experiments, but with some prep, it won't take long. There are more in chemistry, but again, with prep, someone else can do them fairly quickly. You could watch. You might like them!!

:lol: My DH??!! Sadly for us he is zero percent interested in HSing and just as soon put them on the bus. He is not opposed to it....just not interested. too far out of his box.:glare:

What about just reading? You could just use the Unit topics from RSO and check out library books. Most science books have lots of "try this" activites in them, while you are reading you can keep an eye out for things that can actually get done. Or just read!

Have you seen Living Learning Books? http://www.livinglearningbooks.com/newllb/index.php

Ooohh, wait, what about Great Science Adventures? Every lesson makes little mini books your girls might like. It is more crafty then lab or experiments and should be good for both girls http://www.commonsensepress.com/greatscience/default.htm

I love both and I actually own the Great SCience space book! I didn't really look too hard at it so I will have to go back and check it out. I really love the looks of the LLB though and am ordering the solar system set. Thanks!

I would look at Plato Cybered for the oldest; home school co op is running a special on it now but it ends very, very soon. Then I would just add in some fun read alouds, experiments, and field trip type things to include the youngest, on the same theme as what big sis is studying. Even the occasional netflix dvd.

That's a might wide age spread to combine. I would combine in the sense of using the same TOPICS, but not the same program. Don't worry about the 1st grader too much; provide her with appealing books, let her tag along with the occasional experiment or project with big sis, buy her a nature journal and point her to the backyard, lol.

:iagree: Science never seems to get done at our house (unless they do it at coop.) This semester, I decided just to read some of the Horrible Geography & Science books. We just finished Odious Oceans and are moving onto Wild Islands. Believe it or not, they've learned a lot! Next semester, we'll move onto Chemistry Chaos and I'll incorporate some experiments from Experiments with Atoms and Molecules. They're enjoying the books and the stress I usually feel regarding science is gone...at least for this year!

I agree that there is quite a span from first grade to fifth grade and that would make it very difficult to use the same materials. I keep my kids on the same general topic but customize the materials to the age. RS4K has been mentioned and that is one option. Otherwise you might want to look at some of the lists for additional books for the fifth grader to expand the topic. Myself, I find it easiest to work from the eldest on down, it is always possible to just do a quick library search or pull from one of the multiple lists out there for a recommendation for the younger kids. My younger kids always love to watch what is happening when it comes to experiments, you'd be amazed what they pick up in the process.

I am doing Great Science Adventures with a 2nd grader and a 5th grader. If your children like crafty things and lapbooking, then they will probably like GSA.

First trimester we are using GSA-Space, second trimester GSA- Human Body, third trimester GSA- Tools and Technology.

We are finishing Great Science Adventures Space this week. We will take a week off from science to organize all of the crafty things we have made and then we will begin Great Science Adventures Human Body. I have not added any books (except a little perusing of books already on my shelf), but we have watched several videos. We have also used the IAU website and the NASA kids' website quite a bit in order to have the most current information. I will definitely be using videos from HowStuffWorks especially when we do anatomy. The New the Way Things Work that is referenced in GSA- Tools and Tech. I will use it, because I already own it and it is a great book. Because I like The New the Way Things Work, I may actually decide to buy The Way We Work. This book was released after GSA- Human Body, so I know it is not referenced.

What I liked about GSA-

1. I liked that I could tailor it for use with different ages.

2. I liked that I could cover a topic from Earth science, life science, and physical science each year instead of spending a whole year on one topic.

3. I liked that I could pick and choose which three topics.

4. I liked that there were reproducibles included and that I could pick and choose which ones to do and once I decided which ones I could choose to do them as a disposable ditto sheet, as a notebook page, or make them into minibooks and lapbooks.

5. I liked that there were clear topics, because this made it easier for me to include memory work.

6. I liked that there were clear topics, because this makes it easier to just grab support material weekly at the library.

What I don't like about GSA-

1. It is bound as a book, but then includes all this reproducible material. I had the binding cut off.

2. The reproducible material requires prep time on my part. However, I know that if I could buy it all cut out, I wouldn't. So, I suck it up, copy only the pages that I know I want to use, and whip out the handy little paper cutter.

3. The Space volume was written while Pluto was still classified as a planet and before the discovery/ naming of many of the outer planets' moons, so I have needed to do some editing.

HTH-

Mandy

I'm using Elemental Science - Chemistry - with my 3rd and 5th grade dds and they're loving it. We've struggled with science the last two years but this is actually getting done. I don't think it is too easy and she can always research a topic she finds interesting on her own.

:iagree: We are loving Elemental Science chemistry. I think it would be really easy for more in dept topic research. It is actually getting done!:D

We use Apologia -- the ones for kids, written by Jeanne Fulbright. We LOVE them. There are some easy experiments, but nothing too overwhelming. I don't buy the new notebooks they came out with, just print the free notebooking pages instead. That really is enough for us, but it would be very easy to add some lapbooking or crafty type activities.

What i really like is that these books focus on one area. The kids learn enough to actually be interested. We did "Flying Creatures" last year, and my children are truly birding geeks now.;) I thought maybe going into that much detail in one area would get boring, but for us it is just right, and gives the kids enough information to really connect to the topic.

I'll admit - I have no solid advice since we use secular science materials.... so probably won't work too well for you...

But - those ages can be a real blast with science. I didn't actually use a science "curriculum" until middle school. Before - we would choose topics that the kids wanted to focus on (with me off to the side with a check list making sure we eventually covered everything). We made volcanos, we made slime, we almost blew up a plastic cup in the backyard (it just melted after catching fire), we made electromagnets and disected a pig fetus, and isolated our DNA using household products.

If you can get past the "this is so much work" (which it it, and sometimes can take up entire afternoons), you all can get so much out of it - and it can be really fun :) Most of what we did used household stuff (other than the pig), but we did more that included real science equipment purchased online.

I do think hands on experimentation - even in 1st grade - is crucial. They remember so much more than they will than just reading. Not that reading is bad! We did that too - but my sons don't really remember as much of that - they sure do remember why that cup almost exploded!

Have you considered BJU online, if you don't mind Christian material? Now that their distance learning is available online you can purchase single subjects in the elementary grades. You will receive all the student materials in book format, and your materials are available online.

My dd is using the 7th grade Life science, and I'm strongly considering using it for ds starting next year. She has shown more interest in science than I think I've ever seen. You watch the teacher do the lessons and experiments. You can choose to do the experiment along with the teacher when you want to do so.

I'm using RSO Life science this year. I invited a neighbor to join us for the labs. My ds has really enjoyed doing them with his best friend. It keeps me motivated to do it, too, as well as pick up my house on those days!

I got RSO space and earth to use with my 1st and 5th grade girls. First let me say that I do not like to learn or teach science and that has been one obstacle. I am not an experiment lover. I need to either ditch this or learn to tweak it. Is there a curriculum that will allow me to run these 2 girls side by side? i love the way Elemental looks but it seems like it will be too easy for the 5th grader. Noeo looks really great but which do I choose for the 2 of them so I don't have to buy and run 2 different levels?

We are working on the same Science. I don't do every experiement. We read the suggested book topics though, and if I can't find the exact book I get something else from the library. I concentrate on her Big idea parts of each lesson and make sure that they grasp that, but other than that we don't follow it to the letter.

I think, and I truly do not mean this rudely, that it is not a good idea to combine science (or school, really) for children who are that far apart in age, level of understanding, interests, etc. I would give each his/her own science curriculum even though it would be less convenient to do so. I'm more for meeting the kids where they are at as individuals, and a kid who is of 'middle school' age and a kid who is just starting out their school years just aren't in the same place, in any area.

My daughter is doing Oak Meadow 5's Environmental Science and she loves it. She tells me science is her favorite subject. She's read about The Environment (and had to look around her "room environment" and list living and non living things), and she made a multi-media mural of a forest environment which included living and non living things.

She's read about Ecology and Ecosystems and had to choose things from a list that she cannot live without in her environment. Then it would say something like, "If you chose a cow, what things does a cow need in its environment in order to live? If you chose grass, what things does grass need in its environment in order to live?" to show that all living things need some of the same things in order to survive.

She's read about "Back To The Earth" and then buried some things in our backyard, which will soon be dug back up and examined to see what changes, if any occurred (what decomposes? What doesn't?)

She's read about Composting, and we've started a simple indoor worm bin (which I preferred to the idea of starting a compost heap in my very tiny backyard).

This week we'll be reading about "Energy In Ecosystems And Food Chains." In later weeks we'll do different biomes (which will include a four week biome observation project) and habitats, water cycle, water pollution, air and land pollution, natural resources, recycling, organic gardening and so on.

My son is only in Kindergarten but if he were in 1st grade, we'd be using Oak Meadow's 1st grade science for him. That would include:

Observing the Natural World (phases of the moon, life cycle of the seed, animal tracks, cloud formations)

The Natural World In Winter (animal behavior, deciduous and coniferous trees, hibernation, Arctic and Antarctic, growing an indoor plant)

and The Natural World In Spring (pond life, forest life, bird activity, vegetable garden and scientific inquiry).

It's a secular curriculum, I should say. But I really love it.

I agree that there is quite a span from first grade to fifth grade and that would make it very difficult to use the same materials.

I also agree with this. It is a little bit unreasonable to expect the two to do science using the same curriculum. You wouldn't have them do math and reading that way.

When my son was in first we did very hands on life science - MFW to be exact. But in fifth grade, well we skipped 5th grade, but in sixth grade we did apologia physical. I could not imagine trying to make the two levels mesh.

What I liked about GSA-

2. I liked that I could cover a topic from Earth science, life science, and physical science each year instead of spending a whole year on one topic.

4. I liked that there were reproducibles included and that I could pick and choose which ones to do and once I decided which ones I could choose to do them as a disposable ditto sheet, as a notebook page, or make them into minibooks and lapbooks.

5. I liked that there were clear topics, because this made it easier for me to include memory work.

6. I liked that there were clear topics, because this makes it easier to just grab support material weekly at the library.

I think, and I truly do not mean this rudely, that it is not a good idea to combine science (or school, really) for children who are that far apart in age, level of understanding, interests, etc. I would give each his/her own science curriculum even though it would be less convenient to do so. I'm more for meeting the kids where they are at as individuals, and a kid who is of 'middle school' age and a kid who is just starting out their school years just aren't in the same place, in any area.

:iagree:But this can be done with a single science curriculum, especially if it is problematic to juggle 2 science programs.

GSA is designed so that with each topic presented there are suggestions for 3 different levels of teaching. For example they may have the same labeling sheet, but the 1st grader would just be expected to copy info whereas the older student would be expected to provide much more detail.

I also agree with this. It is a little bit unreasonable to expect the two to do science using the same curriculum. You wouldn't have them do math and reading that way.

When my son was in first we did very hands on life science - MFW to be exact. But in fifth grade, well we skipped 5th grade, but in sixth grade we did apologia physical. I could not imagine trying to make the two levels mesh.

I just wanted to encourage you that if you want to combine your two that you can. I know a large family that used Apologia General Science one year with all their kids from jr high all the way to K. They just took the topics and presented them with other materials to the littles and then everyone did the experiments together.

If you wanted them to do math together, you could use Math on the Level.

Phonics/reading will probably need to be separate, but you can all listen to the same read-alouds/audio books and poetry. Just direct the discussions to the older child and let the younger one tag along. You may be surprised at how much the little one picks up! Until this year I did poetry with all three of my children together. The only reason I am not doing it this year is because my oldest left for college! There is a spread of over 11 years between my oldest and youngest. I was always surprised at how much my youngest understood.

HTH-

Mandy

:iagree:But this can be done with a single science curriculum, especially if it is problematic to juggle 2 science programs.

GSA is designed so that with each topic presented there are suggestions for 3 different levels of teaching. For example they may have the same labeling sheet, but the 1st grader would just be expected to copy info whereas the older student would be expected to provide much more detail.

I just wanted to encourage you that if you want to combine your two that you can. I know a large family that used Apologia General Science one year with all their kids from jr high all the way to K. They just took the topics and presented them with other materials to the littles and then everyone did the experiments together.

If you wanted them to do math together, you could use Math on the Level.

Phonics/reading will probably need to be separate, but you can all listen to the same read-alouds/audio books and poetry. Just direct the discussions to the older child and let the younger one tag along. You may be surprised at how much the little one picks up! Until this year I did poetry with all three of my children together. The only reason I am not doing it this year is because my oldest left for college! There is a spread of over 11 years between my oldest and youngest. I was always surprised at how much my youngest understood.

HTH-

Mandy

Yes I believe you can as well since my first grader reads on a 4th grade level. I have combined GSA with Pata's Elemental science. The experiments and info are the same but I require my older DD to do more writing with it and I write for my younger DD. I realize that some of the discussions may go over her head but she enjoyed the lesson we did and as long as we do experiments it will work out. I have no choice but to pull them together for science and history or it won't get done. I just don't have the time with the 4 year old and the 2 year old in the mix. Next year I will get older DD something different for science I think but continue to run them together in history using TOG maybe. My greatest concern is getting the science to the older child since the younger will get the same thing again in 4 years if I continue with ES. I joined Enchanted Learning and they have great colorful pages on the topics that older DD liked today!

I don't have any advice, either. :tongue_smilie:But when you mentioned that the girls LOVE doing lapbooks and crafts and that you do NOT enjoy doing experiments, my heart went out to you.

:grouphug:

Would it work to just choose a spine text, read library books according to a schedule of topics, watch DVDs, and add in the occasional hands-on project -- something like a lapbook, instead of an experiment?

http://www.answersingenesis.org/publicstore/catalog/Gods-Design-for-Heaven-Earth,194.aspx

This is supposed to work for various levels, have easy hands-on things to do, and be reusable at the next level (so, good for 1st and 5th). HTH.

Dawn has some helps for Earth/Space, too. Let me see if I can find them....

:auto:

Really? I have a 2nd and a 6th grader and combining them wouldn't be a problem to me. I would follow the same spine but have different requirements for both of them so far as results go. I would expect them to read books relating to the topic at their reading and comprehension level and whereas the younger would narrate to me, I would require the older to write papers and follow the scientific method. I would also have scientific vocabulary requirements at each of their levels. The older could also research pioneers in whichever study we were working on or find current events that related to it. I guess I would have the older snack on the idea and make sure the older enjoyed the entire meat of it. But I wouldn't set myself up with separate curriculums for Science of History for more than one child.

Really? I have a 2nd and a 6th grader and combining them wouldn't be a problem to me. I would follow the same spine but have different requirements for both of them so far as results go. I would expect them to read books relating to the topic at their reading and comprehension level and whereas the younger would narrate to me, I would require the older to write papers and follow the scientific method. I would also have scientific vocabulary requirements at each of their levels. The older could also research pioneers in whichever study we were working on or find current events that related to it. I guess I would have the older snack on the idea and make sure the older enjoyed the entire meat of it. But I wouldn't set myself up with separate curriculums for Science of History for more than one child.

I think what you are describing here is what some of us are describing as "using the same topic, but not the same curriculum," which I certainly consider doable, somewhat like using SOTW for a history spine and giving different assignments. But I had the (possibly mistaken) impression that the OP wanted a full curriculum, as in all assignments/questions/etc, that could be used with both kids, and that I really don't think is nearly as wise.

imo, it's much easier for a person who doesn't like teaching/implementing a certain subject to simply use two programs, preferably of the 'open and go' type. The method you describe, which is pretty much what I do for history, requires the teacher to do a lot of creating assignments, projects, etc, and I figured that was what the OP is trying to avoid.

I think what you are describing here is what some of us are describing as "using the same topic, but not the same curriculum," which I certainly consider doable, somewhat like using SOTW for a history spine and giving different assignments. But I had the (possibly mistaken) impression that the OP wanted a full curriculum, as in all assignments/questions/etc, that could be used with both kids, and that I really don't think is nearly as wise.

imo, it's much easier for a person who doesn't like teaching/implementing a certain subject to simply use two programs, preferably of the 'open and go' type. The method you describe, which is pretty much what I do for history, requires the teacher to do a lot of creating assignments, projects, etc, and I figured that was what the OP is trying to avoid.

UGH yes and no. It is so hard to work with these 2 ages. My first grader can read on a 3-4th grade level which makes it somewhat easier. Right now I am trying not to stress what the 1st grader gets in the way of science b/c I remember reading several times that in 1st they really just need to focus on math, writing, and reading. I guess I will just drag her along for the ride this year and then next year hook her up more with her Kdg brother? Maybe not....I may send him to public just to punish them-lol. He is a HANDFUL:tongue_smilie:

I am doing Singapore Science's My Pals Are Here with my 5th and 3rd grader. I think it would be easy to combine your dc with this program if you use all the components. It's the first science program that's getting done at our house, and while the concepts in the book might seem simple, the homework, higher order thinking book and tests are more of a challenge. With the first grader, I wouldn't have her do all the extra work, although you could help her/him through it if you wanted. It's completely scripted and covers a wide variety of topics. I decided to use it this year since our science has been somewhat spotty in the past. No ideas where we're going next year though!!

I am doing Great Science Adventures with a 2nd grader and a 5th grader. If your children like crafty things and lapbooking, then they will probably like GSA.

First trimester we are using GSA-Space, second trimester GSA- Human Body, third trimester GSA- Tools and Technology.

We are finishing Great Science Adventures Space this week. We will take a week off from science to organize all of the crafty things we have made and then we will begin Great Science Adventures Human Body. I have not added any books (except a little perusing of books already on my shelf), but we have watched several videos. We have also used the IAU website and the NASA kids' website quite a bit in order to have the most current information. I will definitely be using videos from HowStuffWorks especially when we do anatomy. The New the Way Things Work that is referenced in GSA- Tools and Tech. I will use it, because I already own it and it is a great book. Because I like The New the Way Things Work, I may actually decide to buy The Way We Work. This book was released after GSA- Human Body, so I know it is not referenced.

What I liked about GSA-

What I don't like about GSA-

1. It is bound as a book, but then includes all this reproducible material. I had the binding cut off.

2. The reproducible material requires prep time on my part. However, I know that if I could buy it all cut out, I wouldn't. So, I suck it up, copy only the pages that I know I want to use, and whip out the handy little paper cutter.

3. The Space volume was written while Pluto was still classified as a planet and before the discovery/ naming of many of the outer planets' moons, so I have needed to do some editing.

HTH-

Mandy

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this post! I've been holding off on ordering anything, just LOATHE to do science after the RS4K fail last year and this looks GREAT for my girls! Thank you again!