Menu

California heat

Jilly

Unbelievable... well, not that it's THAT bad, but, really??? Spring was wet and cold... I had to wear sweaters and hats and layers ALL spring long. Summer was a warm, but only hot a few days. Just when I get in the mood for fall... the heat hits. Honestly, I think our seasons are all off right now and we should just change the dates on the calendar (first day of fall, etc.) to match the weather. It feels like the middle of summer right now.

Unbelievable... well, not that it's THAT bad, but, really??? Spring was wet and cold... I had to wear sweaters and hats and layers ALL spring long. Summer was a warm, but only hot a few days. Just when I get in the mood for fall... the heat hits. Honestly, I think our seasons are all off right now and we should just change the dates on the calendar (first day of fall, etc.) to match the weather. It feels like the middle of summer right now.

:iagree:

My boys are also sick today. They want soup and hot tea, but it is so hot I don't feel like cooking at all.

Yesterday we got in our car after my son's baseball game and the thermometer was reading 109 F outside. I think I felt hotter on that drive home than I've ever felt in my life - and we had the AC cranking.

Thankfully today we can stay inside with the AC all day. I'm looking forward to cooler weather. Not sure when that will come around, though.

around 110 here in Santa Clarita right now....at least that's what my computer is saying. Could be hotter. LA hit an all time record today of 113 at noon. WOW. We're hanging in the AC for the most part. And the heat is dry. Also not as oppressive as it would be in July, IMO, because the days are shorter. Still blasted hot, tho.

112 here. But it's dry heat :D

Bill

roflol.... 112 still gives me that "toasty" feeling....

its only 100.4 in town right now, and a mild 95 here at 4000 ft.

one of our hens hatched a chick last night, so we're drawing straws every two hours to hike out to the chicken coop and see if it is drinking enough.

glad to be at elevation,

ann

My Mom always talks about how my 112 degree weather is no big deal compared to her 90 degree high humidity weather.

Uugh. 112 is still 112! It is hot. Just give me some #$%& sympathy. :lol:

My tongue is swelling in my mouth.

My face is starting to look like a raisin.

I feel the mineral deposits crusting around my eyes.

My Mom always talks about how my 112 degree weather is no big deal compared to her 90 degree high humidity weather.

Uugh. 112 is still 112! It is hot. Just give me some #$%& sympathy. :lol:

My tongue is swelling in my mouth.

My face is starting to look like a raisin.

I feel the mineral deposits crusting around my eyes.

:lol:

OMG... that is too funny.

Yes, it's hot where I live here in the Bay Area. I just want fall weather!! PLEASE!

112 here. But it's dry heat :D

Bill

We reached a high of 109 today at about 1pm. It's still registering 101 at 4:50. My poor A/C can't quite keep up, but at least the house is only 81 degrees. I told the boys that we'll turn on the sprinklers for them once the front yard is fairly shaded.

I'll kill the next person who says that. LOL.

:lol: Granted, if I *had* to choose between a humid heat and dry heat, I would take the dry heat. But, hot is hot when it's over 100. :glare:

I lived half my life in S. California - teen years in a house with NO A/C!!! and no breeze (a large hill was in the way). But it was a dry heat. The only moisture was from sweat. Maybe got one mosquito bite a year.

I have now lived the second half of my life in N/W Illinois.

Humidity, mosquitoes, HUMIDITY.... the heat index gets over 100 easily and everything is clammy with moisture. YUCK!!!

I will take the drier heat every time!!!!

Edited by JFSinIL

You guys are so funny.

100oF is about 38oC. That would be a pretty normal summer day here, and I live in one of the cooler states of Australia.

The read-out on my MINI was 45 c.

Bill (who will report that Australia beat England yesterday in the "Hollywood Ashes." Chasing 155 in the T/20 match, England needed 27 in final 3 overs but lost its last 3 wickets 1, 2, 3. Victory and the cup to Australia. Growing up in the heat did not hurt the Australian side)

Thankfully it was our swim day and we stayed in the pool for hours. I haven't had my a/c off in 2 days. It was recorded anywhere from 112-118 here. We get a little hotter than LA.

The hardest part is having 6 kids, 2 cats, 2 dogs, 1 rabbit, 1 husband and me...all in our 1700 sq ft house. (It's feeling awfully tiny!)

We are thinking of heading to Newport tomorrow. What are the temps like down there?

I think it is suppose to be in the high eighties down here tomorrow.

My mom is in Lake Arrowhead, where it was much cooler today. I am thinking about going up there tomorrow. :)

The hardest part is having 6 kids, 2 cats, 2 dogs, 1 rabbit, 1 husband and me...all in our 1700 sq ft house. (It's feeling awfully tiny!)

I am SO sick of having the kids in the house all blessed day long. Luckily when we had the sprinklers installed out back he used these fine mist low-flow thingies that can stay on for 30 min at a time and use only as much water as normal sprinklers do in 10-12 min. I finally broke down and put them on today about 3pm. Twice.

The read-out on my MINI was 45 c.

Bill (who will report that Australia beat England yesterday in the "Hollywood Ashes." Chasing 155 in the T/20 match, England needed 27 in final 3 overs but lost its last 3 wickets 1, 2, 3. Victory and the cup to Australia. Growing up in the heat did not hurt the Australian side)

Now I will admit that 45oC is hot.

I haven't heard about the cricket. All we are getting on the news is stories about the Indian preparation ( or lack of) for the Commonwealth Games, which start next week.

Oh! silly me, I just noticed you said Hollywood Ashes, Of course I haven't heard of it.:tongue_smilie:

I lived in Sacramento for a few years and it did get as hot up there. Now I had grown up in the DC area and didn't think it ever felt as hot over in DC. We once went on a trip while we lived there to Palm Desert. They have a lovely botanical garden there and in it is a chart comparing humidity + hot temperatures versus just hot temperatures. What it shows is that somewhere around 108/109. the humidity disappears. So 113 is really, really hot and is hotter than any east coast humid temperature.

That summer we had record breaking number of over 100 degree days in a row. It wasn't fun at all.