Menu

Poll: Have you read TWTM?

Have you read TWTM?  

1. 1. Have you read TWTM?

• Yes, and it has been very influential in my homeschool ever since.
    • Yes, but I didn't quite identify with it.
    • Ummm...part of it...
    • Nope.

It's a lot to absorb, and my perspective keeps changing as time goes by. Also, my children are soooooo young that the "school" years seem a long way off. At first I read TWTM out of curiosity, when I was beginning to research homeschooling and classical education. Since then, I've checked that book out of the library repeatedly -- always just to "look up something" or to clarify some point. Lately, though, I've gone over it again to make a list of what I as a mom should be studying... ahead of time. Right now it's getting boned up on history (never had a chrono study in my life) and life science (porifera, cnidarian, platyhelminthes, nematoda, annelida, mollusca, etc....). It's a good reference tool, IMO.

And I keep it handy as a reference at my desk all the time. I couldn't homeschool without it!

I also teach part time at a private Classical Christian school, and TWTM is referred to often even in that setting. It is highly recommended reading by our headmaster for teachers and parents alike. JW and SWB have done an excellent job in laying out a model for classical education.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I chose the second option, but it's not quite accurate. TWTM was the first book about homeschooling I read. This was when the book first came out and before I even had a child. It had a terrific impact on me in two ways: (1) it convinced me that I could indeed homeschool and (2) set me on the road to researching classical education.

As a result of that research, I have moved in a somewhat different direction, but I credit TWTM with getting me started, and I still recommend it to people all the time.

I didn't know which option to choose, but my path has been close to Drew's. I started out reading Doug Wilson's books about Classical Christian Ed. and then found TWTM, which gave me the confidence to pursue classical homeschooling. Then as I continued to read and research, I found that while TWTM offers some fantastic resource lists, it wasn't quite the right methodological fit for our family and my goals. But I still love the lists. And we enjoy using many PHP materials in our home.

I'll also add that I've read both editions, but it was the first edition that really caught my imagination. Something shifted for me in the second edition, I'm not sure I can put a finger on it. It was less...idealistic? Maybe? I don't know, I love idealism though. ;)

Jami

Yes! many times. I own both editions.

I first got the first edition out of the library mostly out of curiosity, I liked to read lots of books about education (ds was about 1 at the time) but had absolutely no interest whatsoever in homeschooling. When I had heard of homeschooling I thought it was the dumbest idea ever. But ever since reading this book I had dreamed of giving my kids this kind of education. Even for a few years when I didn't think I would be able to homeschool I still lurked on the wtm boards and reread the book and planned to afterschool. And when finally last summer I convinced my dh to let me try it for a while when ds6 would have gone to school, I was so happy.

When SWB gave a two-day seminar nearby last September, it was my first time ever away from dh and my kids for two days to go.

So that is definitely why I am here! I do understand of course that other options may be great and I feel lucky that this method seems to fit ds6 perfectly. I will have to see with my second son if it works the same way.

Thanks! (Poll is still open though.)

It's interesting that 994 have read the poll and 244 have voted. Does anyone know how the system counts multiple views by the same person -- as one view total, or one per each time it's opened?

one each time it's opened, I think.

I've read TWTM from cover to cover. And I've referred to it on occasion when I need a specific question answered. But I don't actually own a copy. :blushing: I borrow it from the library.

Okay, where are the other 4 nope's hiding? :biggrinjester:

I haven't read it. I'm not a 'classical' homeschooler - I guess if I had to take a label, 'eclectic' would fit. :)

(Someone asked earlier why anyone would be here who hadn't read it - I can't speak for others, but for me it's the active-ness {yes I can make up words if I want LOL} of the board, the constant chatter about various curriculum/resources/etc, and just the overall 'tonnes of hs'ing parents here' aspect of it. Y'know?)

You didn't include OTHER! All polls need an 'other' answer. :)

I would have answered other because YES, I did read TWTM. But no, it hasn't necessarily influenced our homeschool tremendously. Yes, I did identify/relate to many things in the book. No, we don't really use the method.

I'm a huge believer in following my children's leads and they just don't lean towards classical learning. I agree with the stages mentioned as I've watched my children growing over the years. We got a lot done academically when they were in the grammar stage. But once they reached the Logic stage, their interests and passions don't quite fit the classical education model. I have been educating myself, however, following some of the suggestions.

I guess I don't understand how someone would be on this board and not have read and followed it, and at least roughly used it as a homeschool guideline (unless they prefer not to follow classical curriculum).

I've been homeschooling over 6 years now and have been on the WTM boards for the last 5 years. The only other homeschool place that was active as this board was Sonlight. When Sonlight changed their boards to 'pay to use', I saw some boards spring up, but I don't know if any of them are as active as this community. The few boards I know about are just not as active with members and posts, as this one. I don't think I've met a homeschooler yet who hasn't heard of the WTM forums. :)

The Well Trained Mind was the first book I read about homeschooling and it convinced me that I could and should homeschool. We follow a more traditional classical educational approach with our kids, although I do like the 4-year history rotation. Science is interest led (currently earthquakes and volcanoes). So, I fit somewhere between option 1 and option 2.

Okay, where are the other 4 nope's hiding? :biggrinjester:

I haven't read it. I'm not a 'classical' homeschooler - I guess if I had to take a label, 'eclectic' would fit. :)

(Someone asked earlier why anyone would be here who hadn't read it - I can't speak for others, but for me it's the active-ness {yes I can make up words if I want LOL} of the board, the constant chatter about various curriculum/resources/etc, and just the overall 'tonnes of hs'ing parents here' aspect of it. Y'know?)

Right here sister!:seeya:

I found CM right away and identified with it and never felt the need to change our direction. We do a little tiny bit of latin, only for the roots and vocab. Otherwise we are very eclectic and lean more CM's ideology than anything else.

As far as posting on this board when I haven't read TWTM (I never even heard of SWB before coming to this board--:leaving:), I come here because this is really just about the only means of support/mentoring I can get since I live out of the country and have no access to anyone who really home schools. I'm so thankful you all let me post here! And I'm thankful for all the good conversations I get to read or take part in--it gets a little lonely here.

I've read it, and read over parts of it when I'm planning our new year. It's an ongoing conversation I have- TWTM and myself. :) I enjoy reading the Wise/Bauer theory and method. It's helpful in defing my thoughts and goals. I don't follow it, for the most part, but our goals are akin. It is an inspiration; so well written and thoughtful. So many great ideas. I do recommend it to anybody that wants to know something about homeschooling. It encapsulates both the how and the why. It's a recipe for a superior education.

What I do use in our homeschooling, is their outline of a Great Books study. The Well Educated Mind is very helpful, there, too. And we use several resources they've recommended for rhetoric.

I read only the parts that I had questions about in the beginning, later read all of the grammar stage section, even later than that read the logic stage section, scoured the resources section in detailed form, and I'm not positive if I've read the rhetoric section yet... except I know I read about history and science there. LOL

I only recently obtained my own copy; the librarian laughed and told me that I should just take the one from the library, since I was the one who had it all the time. ;)

I'm really interested to get a hold of The Well Educated Mind at this time, but haven't had opportunity yet to even get it at the library! LOL

It was our missing link, and I've never looked back. We don't follow it strictly, but it's been one of the greatest helps to us thus far.

And I must add - wahooooooo, post #50. Now I can go sell some of my stuff! LOL See what I get for being off the boards for 18 months. I come back as a rinky dink!

Yes, both versions, and it has been incredibly influential...even if much of what we do now is not using WTM recommendations....it has been something I have integrated and digested, and then gone on to create my own program that is more personal for me...using other influences as well.

I see no benefit in being "loyal" to any program just for the sake of it, however, I am very grateful for TWTM, and it is the first book I recommend to new homeschoolers who are floundering around looking for some solid ground in the homeschool world. That, along with the Story of the World series, and Ambleside, are the 3 things I encourage new homeschoolers to check out. I remember it took me ages to get past the unschoolers to the stuff I could really resonate with.

I read it the first time like a normal book. It was my first introduction to homeschooling.

I read it a second time with highlighter and pen in hand. I also used self-stick tabs to identify sections quickly so I wouldn't waste time trying to find things.

Without that book, I doubt I would have had the courage to homeschool. She made it sound like even *I* could do it (and maintain my sanity):001_smile:

....It had a terrific impact on me in two ways: (1) it convinced me that I could indeed homeschool and (2) set me on the road to researching classical education.

When my oldest was just 2 y/o (1999), a good friend lent me her copy of WTM, which was filled with highlighting and notes in the margin. Before then, I had never heard of classical education or the trivium and was not interested at all in homeschooling. After reading, though, I became convinced that it would at least be worth investigating some more. I was persuaded that I might actually be able to provide a high-quality education for my child (I'm not a teacher-type of person). Jessie & SWB make it so doable and practical by the way they break everything down into bite-sized chunks, small enough for even me to manage, most of the time.

So, WTM was pretty much the catalyst that set our homeschooling adventure in motion.

As far as teaching style, we started out with a more unit study and CM approach in the early years, but I still incorporated much of the WTM-type of content-- maps, timelines, learning about historical/cultural context. When the kids were young, we didn't do the 4-year cycle but instead did units on selected cultures, like an 8-week unit on ancient Egypt with the coordinating literature, Bible stories, Usborne books, maps, and timelines. Before WTM, I never would've though to teach ancient history to little ones, esp. since I never learned it in my K-12 education!

Now that ds (5th gr.) is transitioning into the dialectic years, I'm following the WTM literature lists more closely than before. We're also continuing to follow many of the language arts recommendations, as we've done since 1st grade.

I've researched a little more about classical ed over the years. I like the idea of updated classical ed (neoclassical), as opposed to trying to provide a near-exact copy of ancient classical education. One of our family's goals is for the kids to have a high-quality education, and I believe that our application of classical ed will help us reach that goal. WTM provides many practical ways to do this in a home setting with a mom who isn't a trained teacher.

I refer to WTM (both the first & revised versions) more frequently these days. I like how the literature lists for the logic years consist of the primary reading and then the secondary/supplementary reading. Having the book selection narrowed down for me is REALLY helpful, because I'm a very, very slow and rather unskilled reader when it comes to literature. There's no way I could get around to reading a bunch of the books on various lit lists in order to figure out what to include in our lit studies!

If I consider how different my life would be had I never read WTM at that point in time, I think we never would've started homeschooling, and we'd have missed out on a lot...extra time & fun with the kids, entering a whole new world of literature (for me), and a more well-rounded education for all of us.