Menu

Elemental Science: has SWB seen this?

Jumping In Puddles

I was wondering about this myself. I've poured over the samples and if I weren't so happy with BFSU, I would have bought this in a second. It's still my back-up.

That is so funny! I actually bought ES because I was so unhappy with BFSU. Science didn't get done with BFSU, some of the lessons were excellent but some of them were dull and even on the days where science did happen it, it was a lot of work! ES is easy and wonderful!

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

We are loving Elemental Science Chemistry. My ds/8 can talk with ds/16 about chemistry since they are both learning the same thing. DD/14 said to ds/8 the other day that he must be really smart to learn about atoms, molecules, and the periodic table because she didn't learn about those things until 6th grade.

The best part is that he is retaining what we are reading. DH, who is a chemist, said that he was very impressed with what ds/8 is grasping.

I'm excited about trying out Elemental Science this year. It'll be nice to have some of the legwork already done.

We are loving Elemental Science Chemistry. My ds/8 can talk with ds/16 about chemistry since they are both learning the same thing. DD/14 said to ds/8 the other day that he must be really smart to learn about atoms, molecules, and the periodic table because she didn't learn about those things until 6th grade.

The best part is that he is retaining what we are reading. DH, who is a chemist, said that he was very impressed with what ds/8 is grasping.

Do you do science every day? We have it twice/week, but I think if do 2 days' work at a time, it will be too much. How are you doing it?

(If this is hijack, please PM me!)

Do you do science every day? We have it twice/week, but I think if do 2 days' work at a time, it will be too much. How are you doing it?

We are using and loving Elemental Science's chemistry program right now. Love it!

We normally do science 3 times a week, but we can usually do 2-3 days lessons at one time. Probably depends on child, but for my budding scientist it hasn't been too much to do multiple days.

I just downloaded this today. I was planning to give R.E.A.L. Earth and Space another try, but it's too open-ended. That just stresses me out too much right now trying to figure out what we'll do (meaning the reading/narrating/notebook type of activities--the experiments are very well planned) and when we'll do it. I have not yet done science with this particular child this year and I could see this trend continuing (and he loves science :sad:).

I like how this tells me exactly what to do each day and then we're done. I also appreciate not having to buy dozens of books (Our library really is SMALL.) I've already printed and organized the whole thing.

There is still flexibility in adding extra reading--but it's not as necessary as RSO where there is a one page lesson per topic, and you're supposed to get much of your information from library books. (It does not help that the suggested books are grouped by unit and not by week or lesson.)

I just downloaded this today. I was planning to give R.E.A.L. Earth and Space another try, but it's too open-ended. That just stresses me out too much right now trying to figure out what we'll do (meaning the reading/narrating/notebook type of activities--the experiments are very well planned) and when we'll do it. I have not yet done science with this particular child this year and I could see this trend continuing (and he loves science :sad:).

I like how this tells me exactly what to do each day and then we're done. I also appreciate not having to buy dozens of books (Our library really is SMALL.) I've already printed and organized the whole thing.

There is still flexibility in adding extra reading--but it's not as necessary as RSO where there is a one page lesson per topic, and you're supposed to get much of your information from library books. (It does not help that the suggested books are grouped by unit and not by week or lesson.)

I'm debating between ES and RSO so your review has been helpful. We're not organized here - really just jumping from one topic to another and I'm not sure if the study of science should be that way. I would like to follow the WTM way but in reality science has been left in the back burner for too long and DD loves science.

The price of $15 for the download is very tempting. If I'm not careful with the mouse, I might buy it and break my rule of "think overnight."

Edited by crazyforlatin
flipped words

I'm debating between ES and RSO so your review has been helpful. We're not organized here - really just jumping from one topic to another and I'm not sure if the science of study should be that way. I would like to follow the WTM way but in reality science has been left in the back burner for too long and DD loves science.

The price of $15 for the download is very tempting. If I'm not careful with the mouse, I might buy it and break my rule of "think overnight."

I thought overnight about this for months. ;)

I really wanted to make RSO work as so many seem to rave about it. It's just that there are too many *possible* things to add to it--and you must add something as the amount of reading in it is just no where near enough--but the books are not scheduled. I need them to be scheduled week by week and maybe even page by page (Like ES).

In the book list for RSO there are even ENTIRE other books for experiments you could do, and there are two experiments a week already scheduled! My brain does not handle that well. :willy_nilly:

I know someone out there is probably reading this and thinking "That sounds perfect for us!" though. :lol:

I need to order a Janice VanCleave book before we can start, but just the fact that I could instantly figure out how to organize ES for us has me feeling very optimistic.

Arrrggh....y'all are killing me! The only thing that has me worried about RSO is planning out the reading.

Can anyone tell me how religious/secular Elemental Science is?

Rachel

She states her beliefs on page 1 of the teacher guide. The books chosen are secular, and the student materials are mostly blank experiment forms and narration/notebook pages (absolutely nothing religious in the student book for Earth Science and Astronomy). I'd say it's about as neutral or secular as it could get.

I just wanted to add that we love Elemental Science Earth Science and Astronomy. We tried to do Biology the WTM way for first grade and it was too easy to just skip because I didn't schedule it out for the year. I like how the ES is laid out with what to read each day and the corresponding experiments in the Janice VanCleave books.

We are actually doing the experiements as well. BTW, it helps that I'm not pregnant and don't have a nursing infant. We did paper mache for first time with the planet earth model.

I downloaded the Elemental Science pdf version, took it to Fed Ex Office, and had it spiral bound with the cover Paige provides. I put the student pages in a three ring binder with a beautiful cover and spine label from http://barefootmeandering.com/homeschool/notebook-covers/ (I also buy covers and spine labels for our history and grammar notebooks from there as well.)

Another important point: my kids love it as well. They often ask to do ES first thing in the morning.

Two thumbs up for Elemental Science.

I just wanted to add that we love Elemental Science Earth Science and Astronomy. We tried to do Biology the WTM way for first grade and it was too easy to just skip because I didn't schedule it out for the year. I like how the ES is laid out with what to read each day and the corresponding experiments in the Janice VanCleave books.

We are actually doing the experiements as well. BTW, it helps that I'm not pregnant and don't have a nursing infant. We did paper mache for first time with the planet earth model.

I downloaded the Elemental Science pdf version, took it to Fed Ex Office, and had it spiral bound with the cover Paige provides. I put the student pages in a three ring binder with a beautiful cover and spine label from http://barefootmeandering.com/homeschool/notebook-covers/ (I also buy covers and spine labels for our history and grammar notebooks from there as well.)

Another important point: my kids love it as well. They often ask to do ES first thing in the morning.

Two thumbs up for Elemental Science.

What about the teacher's guide - did you print it out or review it on your computer for each lesson? I haven't bought ES yet (will probably do it in a couple of hours) but was wondering how I should lay it out, how many pages to print out, etc. Thanks.

She states her beliefs on page 1 of the teacher guide. The books chosen are secular, and the student materials are mostly blank experiment forms and narration/notebook pages (absolutely nothing religious in the student book for Earth Science and Astronomy). I'd say it's about as neutral or secular as it could get.

:iagree:She says up front that she's Christian but that she's trying to be completely neutral in the presentation of information. We just started the Biology, and we did some extra reading on evolution in the books she provides, which was not assigned, but that was fine with me. It was right there, there was no sifting I needed to do in the TM to make it OK for us to use, etc. I can't complain of religious overtones at all, and I have looked over the whole thing. A big thumbs up here!

What about the teacher's guide - did you print it out or review it on your computer for each lesson? I haven't bought ES yet (will probably do it in a couple of hours) but was wondering how I should lay it out, how many pages to print out, etc. Thanks.

I printed the student workbook but not the teachers guide. I just read it ahead of time. Saves me some of the printing costs.

I had a Sonlight set of binder tabs for weeks 1-36. I just split the teacher and student pages down by week and put them with those (It fits in two 1" binders with wiggle room). Think of it as a filing system in a binder. :D

I chose to combine teacher and student materials so I won't need to take out two binders for science every day and find my place in each. Everything I need for each week; schedule page from the TG, student narration pages, any necessary instructions from the TG, and experiment write-up pages are in each weeks slot together in the order that they appear in the schedule. I put the pictures to be colored & cut out in a pocket at the back in each binder. I plan to give ds an empty binder to put completed pages into as we go. (I guess I need to make a cover for that.)

Ongoing projects for each semester are in the front before week 1/19. This is for Earth Science/Astronomy which has a clear division each 18 week semester. Not sure how it would work with the other years.

I am happy to put the second half of it up on a shelf right away--we won't be getting to Astronomy until after Christmas, and it's going to be all ready and waiting for us.

I just had to jump in and say we're really liking ES as well. My 4th grader is doing Physics. He did some sloppy work this last week, didn't test well. So, we'll have to deal with that, but the previous weeks have been great. He can do things on his own and that is great for him. He desires to get out on his own with such things, so this is a perfect fit. I still check in on him and help where needed, but for the most part, I just let him go and read his write ups later. I think it's given him some much desired independence and confidence.

And as the others have stated, there's nothing religious mentioned in the lessons. The kid reads, fills out very simple/basic notebook pages, the tests are short, to the point, completely manageable.

I'm completely sold and look forward to using another set in the series next year. :)

Oh and I ordered the print copy. I go through ink so quickly and wasn't sure I wanted to mess with printing out my own. The few bucks extra was worth it to me..to just have it all, already printed, in hand, ready to go. :)

We do science daily here. I think he could easily double up assignments if I decided to go that route, but it was laid out so simply for daily, I just stayed with that. My others were on a daily schedule as well, so, it works for us.

I'm curious too!

I could not be more thankful that I heard about Elemental Science on this board. We love it! Science rarely got done last year, and I normally get twitchy about experiments. This is so easy! We've done all the experiments and enjoyed them so much! I love having it all laid out the WTM way. I just can't say enough good things!

I'm excited about trying out Elemental Science this year. It'll be nice to have some of the legwork already done.

Yes, we do it everyday or else ds would be upset. But, I just use the schedule in the Teacher's book and go by it. That's what's nice about ES too. I don't have to try and figure out a schedule.

That is so funny! I actually bought ES because I was so unhappy with BFSU. Science didn't get done, some of the lessons were excellent but some of them were dull and even on the days where science did happen it, it was a lot of work!

I haven't read the whole thread. You may have answered this, but are you talking about BFSU or ES being a lot of work? I'm going on four hours of sleep, so this may be obvious to everyone but me.

What type of supplies are needed for the experiments in Biology?

It would be nice if there was a supplies list on the website.

We're doing Biology for the Grammar Stage now. The experiment supplies are all pretty easy---stuff like newspaper, toilet paper tubes, sand/salt, cans, egg, clear containers etc. The majority is stuff we have around the hosue. The only things I have to get that we don't have are 2 thermometers, a suction cup (not sure why I don't have one of these) and aquarium tubing.

I'm terrible at science experiments, and we've been going for six weeks and enjoying the experiments.

I bought the hard copies of the texts. I'm wishing I had purchased the ebooks now. Live and learn!

I haven't read the whole thread. You may have answered this, but are you talking about BFSU or ES being a lot of work? I'm going on four hours of sleep, so this may be obvious to everyone but me.

Sorry, I definitely wasn't clear. I changed it a bit to be more clear. BFSU is a lot of work that was sometimes worth it and sometimes not worth it.

ES is so easy for me to implement and fun for the kids. Science is actually getting done every day! Last year, I just couldn't find time for science and this year is so much better because of ES.

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

Why do you wish you purchased the ebooks instead?

My reasons aren't serious, and I'm happy enough with the hard copies, but I will buy the next ones as ebooks.

The books are smaller than 8.5 x 11. For copying animal study sheets, and other sheets in the books, I'd rather have it be standard size. I'm guessing with the ebook it would be formatted to print 8.5 x 11. Maybe I'm wrong.

I did the major filing system for most other subjects, but it was too hard for my mind to comprehend how to do it with the science stuff. The student book is not divided by lesson, but the narration pages are together, experiements are all together etc. I'd love to be able to print off the sheets the way I'd like to have them for the files.

My daughter is using the student manual, so I'll have to buy another for my next student. I love the flexibility of being able to print for multiple kids.

These are silly reasons, but ones that bug me enough to buy the ebook next time.

I just can't stress enough how much I enjoy this curriculum. My daughter loves it too. And we're actually doing science now, which beats last year!

Thank you for this thread! I've been seeing threads about Elemental Science, but this is the first on I finally looked at. I think I'm going to get it! I've really been struggling with what to use for science this year, and I was starting to feel like I'd have to write my own curriculum to get what I wanted. But Paige already wrote it. Yay!

I forget who asked. The workbook is about 90 pages. The tchr book is about 68 and the quiz one less than that.

I liked being able to sort the sections to my satisfaction. I put everything in a binder and laid out the sections like this-

Ongoing Projects

Narration + weekly plan pages w/ separate tabs-

animals

body

plants

In front of each section I have the weekly plans (animals first, body, plants), then the animal pics.

Experiment pages-I have those under it's own tab, since the weekly breakdown tells you what you are doing, so I can just flip to the experiment page I need. These are each broke down in section though-animal, body, plant.

Quizes

What I'm going to try to do, is each week pull what I need out and file in my weekly binder of work to do. This way I can see all the supplies I need as well, in case I need to pick any up. Any misc pages I put in the back binder flap.

I did print out the lessons plans and had them spiral bound because I like seeing the plans on paper, just my personal preference. If you buy ES as an e-book (pdf), you can look at the pages first decide how you want to do it.

I took the file to my local UPS store and had them print the teacher's manual pages and quiz book as double sided copies so my book isn't too thick. (My UPS store also has this program where you can pre-buy $.03 copies when they are on sale and keep them on a copy card.) I then took the copies to FedEx Office had them spiral bind them together with the title page provided, a clear plastic cover and black back. My husband thinks I'm crazy for driving to another office store, but I prefer the spiral binding at FedEx Office, it's cheaper, and it's not too far to drive.

I just give my ds6 oral quizzes so it is handy for me to have the quizzes in the back of my teacher's manual as well as the answer key for correcting my dd8's paper quizzes.

I printed out two copies (one for each of my kids) of all the student narration pages, experiment pages, quizzes for my dd8, etc., three hole punch them, and put them in a three ring notebook. As something gets completed, it moves to the back of the first tabbed section, the subsequent tabbed sections have the student pages all ready to go so I just grab the correct one for each day.

HTH. I like ideas on how to lay things out so I tried to provide some detail. I then tweak things until I find out what works best for me. Good luck

Sorry, I definitely wasn't clear. I changed it a bit to be more clear. BFSU is a lot of work that was sometimes worth it and sometimes not worth it.

ES is so easy for me to implement and fun for the kids. Science is actually getting done every day! Last year, I just couldn't find time for science and this year is so much better because of ES.

Thanks for clarifying. I checked out ES last year and wasn't convinced. I think you all just sold me on it. How much is the total coming to when you add in the cost of the books on the book list?

I just had to jump in and say we're really liking ES as well. My 4th grader is doing Physics. He did some sloppy work this last week, didn't test well. So, we'll have to deal with that, but the previous weeks have been great. He can do things on his own and that is great for him. He desires to get out on his own with such things, so this is a perfect fit. I still check in on him and help where needed, but for the most part, I just let him go and read his write ups later. I think it's given him some much desired independence and confidence.

Hi Tara,

May I ask how you lay things out so that your son can do it independently? Do you give him the teacher's schedule or do you have another schedule for him? Do you pull out the relevant pages for him or just have him do it out of the notebook?

We are doing chemistry in 3rd grade and I am trying to imagine being more independent with ES next year. With chemistry there are so many different sections for the notebook pages, and a lot of finding the right symbols, cutting and gluing, and I'm wondering how physics compares.

We are doing Elemental Science in addition to the Science scheduled in our Beyond manual. This all came about because ds7 decided he wanted to "study animals." I knew HOD didn't do animals this year, so we thought we would give elemental science a shot. Oh my, we are really enjoying it! We are doing Biology and my son is getting all of the "animal" study he could ever want. It is a good program, for sure!

We do Science in HOD Beyond 2 days a week, so we do Elemental Science the other 3 days. :) I do combine a few days and it has never been "too much" IMO.

Thanks for clarifying. I checked out ES last year and wasn't convinced. I think you all just sold me on it. How much is the total coming to when you add in the cost of the books on the book list?

I paid $37 for all the books at Amazon because my library didn't have any of them.

My library did have plenty of options for animals and habitats so when we want to study further we use those resources.

I just want to note about RSO, mentioned earlier in this thread. Yes, it is great for some children. There are weekly plans. Yes, the experiments are fantastic in teaching the core standards. I could not be more impressed on how well the two go hand in hand. However, yes, oh yes, you must go outside of the "plan" to enrich the program.

If you have a reader or an explorer, this is certainly a program worth considering. Dd is the "investigator." With that said, I provide her topics based on the standards in the unit of study, and I turn her loose in the library. As she needed to study severe weather, she came back with books well equipped to explain toranado, hurricaine, blizzard, tsunami, et cetera in the context of the season and the weather conditions. This is where dd thrives - the extra bit of control that she has on what she studies.

I am not a well-organized person. I do not file. I make lesson plans, for the entire year, that are always marked up, and I leave ample white space to do so.

I create benchmarks. We have a length limit to a particular unit. I have a "list" of must-accomplish. We keep track of books, videos, internet searches, et cetera through summarization and narration. These are added to our notebook. As for RSO pages, they all too easily become a lapbook that is stored in a scrapbooking paper box container (from Micheal's). We add pictures of our experiments to our lapbook too with the investigative notes and conclusions.

RSO - if you need a little more freedom and wiggle room for your dc. :) It can be secular or support any theology.

What ages are these recommended for? Is there a rec. for which book to start with? My oldest is beg. 2nd grade. Thnx!

She's got recommended ages on the website.

Biology: 1st-2nd

Earth Science: 2nd-3rd

Chemistry: 3rd-5th

Physics: 3rd-5th

I just bought Physics for my 4th grader (it looks pretty challenging) and Intro level for my K'er and 1st grader.

I second the suggestion of a list of supplies on the website!

Those of you who would like to see a list of supplies on the website, do you want that to be a part of the sample file? I'll be putting up new samples in a few weeks, so that's possible. Just wanted to let you know that I hear you and I'll take it into consideration :).

Those of you who would like to see a list of supplies on the website, do you want that to be a part of the sample file? I'll be putting up new samples in a few weeks, so that's possible. Just wanted to let you know that I hear you and I'll take it into consideration :).

Thanks for the wonderful science curriculum! Did you send a copy to SWB?

Thanks for the wonderful science curriculum! Did you send a copy to SWB?

Your welcome! I did send it to Peace Hill Press almost two years ago when we were looking for a publisher but the curriculum has undergone some changes since then. I don't know if I'll send it to SWB, but I certainly hope we'll make it into the next WTM edition :).

Edited by Pata
changing something

I wish SO BADLY that there was some sort of kit to purchase for the experiments. Moving overseas I just have to have everything laid out for me. SUCH a bummer. I'm gonna do SL science instead.

ES sounds intriguing, but I have to say I am really happy with SL science this year (4). I would check to make sure that the kit can be delivered overseas if you do decide to go with SL. I know some of them can't.