Menu

Any one go gluten-free just for the heck of it?

I mean, if it weren't mandated by allergies or other illness?

I saw an article yesterday about how it's the latest "diet craze" for Hollywood stars. I know many of you here are very health conscious and I wondered what benefits you've experienced by voluntarily avoiding gluten.

Since my dh has major problems with gluten, I mostly eat what he does. Sometimes I eat some pizza out or will make a sandwich when he isn't around. Neither of us would go on a gluten free diet just because. It is way too limiting.

Possibly the one good thing is it limits eating out which would save some money, but substitute flours are pretty expensive.

I can't imagine going GF for no reason. It's more expensive to eat GF generally and can be empty starch heavy if a person doesn't essentially just switch to eating naturally gluten free stuff rather than baking and bread subs. That said, a pretty significant portion of the population don't handle gluten well and feel better without. Gluten is hard for all of us to digest unless it's prepared as sourdough or similar. GF can be healthy as well if whole foods are eaten.

But in short it's complicated to go gluten free especially at first and I wouldn't do it without a reason and can't imagine many people sticking with it without a reason.

I originally started researching GF diets for my DS, who has Asperger's. Then I discovered my brother was fighting to get a diagnosis of Celiac because he'd been having a lot of issues. So I decided to go GF too, though I told myself it was mostly to support my DS.

It changed my entire life. For me, it felt like a huge weight had been lifted from my body - I never realized how much pain and fatigue I lived with constantly. My backaches, headaches, muscle aches, stomach aches... everything lifted and I felt like I had a new body. Going gluten free also lifted my depression. I used to have some really dark days (weeks or months sometimes). No more. I've been GF since July 3 last year, and haven't felt depressed a single day since. I consider it my new birthday.

i've read that over 1/3 of caucasians are gluten intolerant to some degree.

i am not gluten intolerant, but i eat no processed foods. only meat, veggies, nuts, dairy, and the occasional fruit. my overall health is vastly improved, i literally am like a different person. i lost about 140 pounds with these changes as well. everything from my skin to my hair, joints, digestion, etc have improved incredibly.

Not gluten free, but we did a grain rotation for a while before having kids. I've never been able to get my act together enough to reimplement it since. I did it for variety reasons. If I base my diet on pasta and rice, it's too easy to eat the same three veggies all week. Changing the grain forces you to change everything else you serve with it, because rye with pasta sauce isn't nice.

Rosie

I'm not finding the switch to wheat free difficult. Eat non processed meats, fruits, and veggies, and use potatoes or rice for occasional starch.

I think the problem is people get caught up in alternative flours or g/f prepackaged products. If you want pancakes, make a potato pancake, you don't need to use 4 different types of hard to find and expensive flours.

yeah, I don't really do alternatives, just a bit of brown rice here and there, or make a pizza crust out of cauliflower/mozzarella, otherwise it's meat, nuts, veggies, and low-GI fruits. A little heavy cream, a little ultra-dark chocolate, and what's to miss? :tongue_smilie:

I'm not finding the switch to wheat free difficult. Eat non processed meats, fruits, and veggies, and use potatoes or rice for occasional starch.

I think the problem is people get caught up in alternative flours or g/f prepackaged products. If you want pancakes, make a potato pancake, you don't need to use 4 different types of hard to find and expensive flours.

Well, if you're truly gluten free you're looking at trace in everything and the average family isn't used to that. Those of us with lots of allergies may have an easier adjustment in that respect. We're dealing with other allergies as well (like you) and we have to have carbs because one kiddo has a metabolic condition. We don't do GF baking either. We just eat whole foods. But I've had a real struggle to find nut safe gluten free grains. I've got one rice source (plain, not cereal or etc.), one buckwheat source, one teff source, etc. When you look at wheat cross and nut cross anyway it's pretty overwhelming for me.

Because you share our allergies I'd love to know what your kids eat for calories. I really struggled to find enough calories with those restrictions for the kids. I'm doing ok now but would love more ideas. The only calorie heavy stuff in the list is fruit (well, unless you're high fat which we can't be due to a metabolic condition).

Because you share our allergies I'd love to know what your kids eat for calories. I really struggled to find enough calories with those restrictions for the kids. I'm doing ok now but would love more ideas. The only calorie heavy stuff in the list is fruit (well, unless you're high fat which we can't be due to a metabolic condition).

We do eat this way and it is pretty high fat for my kids. I'm sorry you're having to deal with more than just food allergies.

I did go gluten free in support of my son and in fact I just made both kids gluten free which makes meals so much easier. We don't do substitutions and frankly, egg/gluten/diary free muffins just don't sound appealing.

We have had the same response including improvement with my insomnia:

We are all seeing significant improvements in skin, mood, bathroom habits, we're not as hungry, food tastes better, etc.

I decided to go gf about four weeks ago. My ds and I are already dairy free And have been for about 6 years so going without gluten hasn't been as tough for me as I thought it would. You kind of get used to reading labels, going without and cooking from scratch. My main reasons were joint pain and digestive issues. Neither are very severe, but I was kind of curious if I could eliminate them. So far no. But I've lost a couple pounds so that's good. I didn't realize how Holllywood I was. I feel so unoriginal now :/

I went gluten free the day after memorial day and i feel fabulous.

I didn't mean to, it just happened. It was the best thing ever. I have energy, joint pain gone and post nasal drip w/ sinus's gone. I have an abundance of energy. The change is radical enough that I don't want to go back to my pre gluten days.

The funny thing was I just decided to get rid of all the food with chemicals and extras in it, I didn't intend to go gluten free--it just happened.

I am gluten free and just fell into it after eating low carb for awhile. all inflamation issues I had before are all gone as well as hay fever. I don't bother trying to bake gluten free though, I just go without baking. I find it easier to just give up breads, pastas and cakes, than to try to make a substitute. But, I also eat no grains at all, so it isn't just gluten, no rice, no barley, no oats, etc... I don't know if that is helpful.

I don't find it any more expensive, we just eat lots of meats, fish, nuts and seeds, fruits and veggies, and eggs. Without the "fake" foods it is a great and easy way to cook.

Because you share our allergies I'd love to know what your kids eat for calories.

I find that adding soup to most meals helps with boosting the calorie intake. I make a vegetable soup (sometimes with meat and sometimes not) and serve a small amount with lunch and dinner and sometimes even breakfast.

To make my soups I always start with a bone broth which helps to make the soup very rich and nutritious.

That article linked above said oats have gluten. I had no idea. I thought gluten was a wheat thing. A few of you said you avoid all grains, but some still eat oats. I might try going GF, but I don't want to have to give up the oats! I have finally gotten DH off his high fiber bran cereal and into eating steel cut oats for b.fast. Do I have to switch him to eggs?

That article linked above said oats have gluten. I had no idea. I thought gluten was a wheat thing. A few of you said you avoid all grains, but some still eat oats. I might try going GF, but I don't want to have to give up the oats! I have finally gotten DH off his high fiber bran cereal and into eating steel cut oats for b.fast. Do I have to switch him to eggs?

I'm pretty sure they don't have gluten in them but instead are cross-contaminated from processing equipment.

I am gluten free and just fell into it after eating low carb for awhile. all inflamation issues I had before are all gone as well as hay fever. I don't bother trying to bake gluten free though, I just go without baking. I find it easier to just give up breads, pastas and cakes, than to try to make a substitute. But, I also eat no grains at all, so it isn't just gluten, no rice, no barley, no oats, etc... I don't know if that is helpful.

I don't find it any more expensive, we just eat lots of meats, fish, nuts and seeds, fruits and veggies, and eggs. Without the "fake" foods it is a great and easy way to cook.

That's my story exactly!

You are all inspiring me to make the switch! Michele, thanks for the fantastic lists. I appreciate your time in posting the info.

I am also glad to hear that oats can be gluten free. I think that's the grain I'd have trouble giving up.

The Hive comes through again!!! Thanks!!!

No celiac diagnosis here, but I did test positive on the Enterolab test. (Which I don't recommend, by the way.) I actually haven't noticed any amazing health benefits to being GF, but I don't care. I have a lot of early warning signs of some sort of autoimmune-type process, and gluten is one of the usual suspects, so I'm off it to be on the safe side.

Going GF eventually led me to read about Primal/paleo nutrition. That gave me additional reasons to stay GF and eliminate most other grains as well.

But in short it's complicated to go gluten free especially at first...
Actually, it can be really, really simple, if one chooses to limit oneself to foods that are naturally gluten free, rather than relying on GF substitutes.

I eat meat, poultry, pork, seafood, eggs, vegetables, cheese, ghee (butter), fruit, coconut, and nuts. Once in a while I have small servings of rice or potatoes, but otherwise I eat no grains. For seasoning, I use herbs and spices as well as a few prepared products, like mustard.

I'm thoroughly satisfied with the simplicity of my diet. :)

For those who are not caeliac, there is another possibility. If you soak your grains overnight before cooking, it makes them easier to digest.

I made dh (now all gluten intolerant) some bread which I left to rise all night- a good 12 hours- then another 2 hours on the 2nd rise. Really well fermented. He handled it pretty well. He misses bread under his morning eggs. He doesnt want to have it often but its there in the freezer, pre sliced, in case he is desperate.

The thing with bread is that until the mass production of bread in the middle of last century, bread was always left to rise overnight, which gives the gluten plenty of time to ferment OUT of your body, before you ingest and digest it. (otherwise it ferments IN your body).Fermenting is like predigesting. Traditional cultures all know this and you will notice they soak and ferment their grains. Once we got mass scale bread production, and they learned to rise bread in just a short few hours, to get through three batches a day...this whole wheat intolerance thing started its long road to where it is today and so many people cannot digest it anymore. Of course it is also because wheat has been bred to have such a high gluten content- much more than 100 years ago- and we are not built to handle it - we havent had enough time to adapt.

SO...I too would like to be pretty gluten free, and I dont eat much at all...but when I do, I soak it overnight first. So I soak my porridge oats overnight. I leave bread to rise for 12 hours (and use spelt flour which is much easier to digest as it is an older breed). I also soak my brown rice (not that it has gluten, but it also helps it digest and makes it softer rather than chewy).

For those who are not caeliac, there is another possibility. If you soak your grains overnight before cooking, it makes them easier to digest.

I made dh (now all gluten intolerant) some bread which I left to rise all night- a good 12 hours- then another 2 hours on the 2nd rise. Really well fermented. He handled it pretty well. He misses bread under his morning eggs. He doesnt want to have it often but its there in the freezer, pre sliced, in case he is desperate.

The thing with bread is that until the mass production of bread in the middle of last century, bread was always left to rise overnight, which gives the gluten plenty of time to ferment OUT of your body, before you ingest and digest it. (otherwise it ferments IN your body).Fermenting is like predigesting. Traditional cultures all know this and you will notice they soak and ferment their grains. Once we got mass scale bread production, and they learned to rise bread in just a short few hours, to get through three batches a day...this whole wheat intolerance thing started its long road to where it is today and so many people cannot digest it anymore. Of course it is also because wheat has been bred to have such a high gluten content- much more than 100 years ago- and we are not built to handle it - we havent had enough time to adapt.

SO...I too would like to be pretty gluten free, and I dont eat much at all...but when I do, I soak it overnight first. So I soak my porridge oats overnight. I leave bread to rise for 12 hours (and use spelt flour which is much easier to digest as it is an older breed). I also soak my brown rice (not that it has gluten, but it also helps it digest and makes it softer rather than chewy).

I have heard that before, and am intrigued by the possibility, but how do I get started?

I have two questions:

would the person who said they make cauliflower pizza crusts please, please, please list the recipe.

if i were to make egg salad, or something along those lines, what would i eat it in? i've done the bowl thing, and right now i'm using low carb tortillas.

my daughter's allergic to wheat and i'm exploring this possiblity...

Peela is absolutely right and I think this is actually healthier nutrient wise than gluten free baking (because of the starches) if you're not dealing with allergy or celiac. My son without gluten issues eats sprouted and sourdough spelt.

FWIW, there is a spelt bread produced by Berlin Natural Bakery that we love. It's not got extra junk like corn syrup (or any sugar) or even commercial yeast in their sourdough. And they make both sprouted and sourdough spelt breads so further broken down and easy to digest. They are the only commercial bread that doesn't have sesame cross contamination and I'd be shocked if they had any corn contamination as their ingredients are so basic. Example for their sourdough: Spelt flour, water, sea salt. And it's good. Anyway, they ship to homes and many natural type stores carry them as well. This is not gluten free because spelt is a low gluten but not no gluten grain. But it's definitely easier to digest for those with just wheat allergies or those with intolerances.

No celiac diagnosis here, but I did test positive on the Enterolab test. (Which I don't recommend, by the way.)

Sorry to highjack, but can I ask why you do not recommend Enterolab? I've been trying to decide whether or not to have my 4 year old tested through them. She has unexplained extreme thinness. My 18 yo does have non-Celiac gluten intolerance.

I am just SO afraid of a false positive from Enterolab, however. If going GF is really, truly going to make my 4 yo better, than I'll be thrilled. We've already done a short GF trial with her and noticed NO changes whatsoever. (I know - the GF people will tell me I need to do it for longer. Three months. Six months. Twelve months. Blech!)

I really am willing to go GF with my daughter if it is required. But I find dealing with a GF diet/household frustrating and limiting in numerous ways, and frankly, I don't want to do it unless it is truly necessary.

I have one daughter who honestly has a problem with gluten. So I totally get that some people really do need to be GF. But for some people in the GF culture (and I am honestly not talking about anybody on this thread), I believe they embody the saying: "When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail." So there are definitely GF "evangelists" out there who think everybody should go GF and/or that GF is the root of every single health problem out there. And I am so worried that Enterolab might be a little this way and that we're going to end up with a false diagnosis of gluten intolerance for my little 4 yo.

I went on Atkins a few years ago (for a few months), and I noticed some significant health benefits. Now, I would never go back to Atkins (I no longer eat meat or dairy), but I am now trying to stay away from most carbs (other than vegetables, fruits, brown rice, beans etc. No wheat-based items, like pasta, or bread.

While I was doing Atkins, my brain seemed to work a lot better- less brain-fog. I read some things I had written while on Atkins, and it became clear to me that something was definitely different with my brain. I wrote very clearly, and I seem to recall going through a period where I was actually smarter! I was reading some very tough books, and actually being able to focus, and comprehend stuff that would be beyond me now.

I also had alot more energy.

Well, I went on Atkins for weight loss, and one byproduct was that I ate very low gluten. When I discovered that almost all my joint pains disappeared, and my GI system worked better, I went ahead and went all the way gluten free, and it's been SO much better!

I did in January by default as I followed the "Eat to Live" plan. The pain in my feet and ankles went away, I slept more soundly, and overall just felt better. I was not following Eat to Live exactly because I would have meat once a day. I also didn't eat dairy during that time, so my feeling better could have been related to that.

ETA: One of my dc was gluten free as a baby/toddler and we did not use any gluten free foods. There are plenty of naturally GF foods that you don't *have* to use replacements.

Edited by Renee in FL

I have heard that before, and am intrigued by the possibility, but how do I get started?

Here is a bread recipe a friend of mine created and which I use. It makes a lot of bread- I halve the recipe for 2 small/medium loaves. This friend was the one that taught me about the history of breadmaking and this technique. I use spelt flour, but he uses wheat. He used to be unable to eat bread until he started making this bread.

http://www.2die4livefoods.com.au/recipes.html

I just did a search for "soaking grains" and lots of info came up. However, 2 of the wbsites I hit form the first page were loaded with viruses, so just be careful.

There is a lot of info about it around nowadays. I just soak everything overnight- but many sites give you times for each grain. Small seeds like sesame only need an hour or so.

I do enjoy soaking my grains and nuts nowadays. I often make a raw porridge, and I have a handful of almonds, and a handful of prunes or dates, that I leave to soak overnight. The next morning I add a handful of coconut and a choppped apple. Then I blend it to make porridge.

By planning your meals in advance :) That's where I'm falling down at the moment. My routine got tossed out the window by a house move and a month of illness, and I'm struggling to get it going again.

If you plan your meals, at least which carb you are going to eat, in advance, you can put it to soak before bed the night before, or the next morning if you forget. When you get into that habit, it makes it easier to include more legumes in your diet, because you're already in the habit of putting something to soak overnight. Then it becomes easier to add sprouts to your diet, because you're in the habit of rinsing your beans in the morning.

Rosie

Here is a bread recipe a friend of mine created and which I use. It makes a lot of bread- I halve the recipe for 2 small/medium loaves. This friend was the one that taught me about the history of breadmaking and this technique. I use spelt flour, but he uses wheat. He used to be unable to eat bread until he started making this bread.

http://www.2die4livefoods.com.au/recipes.html

I just did a search for "soaking grains" and lots of info came up. However, 2 of the wbsites I hit form the first page were loaded with viruses, so just be careful.

There is a lot of info about it around nowadays. I just soak everything overnight- but many sites give you times for each grain. Small seeds like sesame only need an hour or so.

I do enjoy soaking my grains and nuts nowadays. I often make a raw porridge, and I have a handful of almonds, and a handful of prunes or dates, that I leave to soak overnight. The next morning I add a handful of coconut and a choppped apple. Then I blend it to make porridge.

Thank you! :D

By planning your meals in advance :) That's where I'm falling down at the moment. My routine got tossed out the window by a house move and a month of illness, and I'm struggling to get it going again.

If you plan your meals, at least which carb you are going to eat, in advance, you can put it to soak before bed the night before, or the next morning if you forget. When you get into that habit, it makes it easier to include more legumes in your diet, because you're already in the habit of putting something to soak overnight. Then it becomes easier to add sprouts to your diet, because you're in the habit of rinsing your beans in the morning.

Rosie

Ah, I'm no good at planning ahead, but this sounds worth a try ... thanks! :D

So.... long rising spelt bread recipe please?

And when you say you soak your oats, do you mean you soak them and drain out the water like with beans or do you soak them, then cook them? Or do you soak them and then they are soft enough to eat without cooking?