Menu

Be careful of what you say until you know who you are speaking to

So the phone rings. I answer with a hello. I get back "Hey sexy, where is your mom!" :glare:

I almost said, "I imagine she is somewhere between Erie and Pittsburgh." Which, while true, more than likely would have thrown my caller (a woman) for a loop. :lol:

But the nice part of my brain overcame the devious part of my brain. :thumbup:

My caller apologized profusely.

I am glad my dd did not answer the phone though.

So the phone rings. I answer with a hello. I get back "Hey sexy, where is your mom!" :glare:

I almost said, "I imagine she is somewhere between Erie and Pittsburgh." Which, while true, more than likely would have thrown my caller (a woman) for a loop. :lol:

But the nice part of my brain overcame the devious part of my brain. :thumbup:

My caller apologized profusely.

I am glad my dd did not answer the phone though.

:lol::lol::lol:

:lol: :lol:

I've answered my phone in person-specific ways that other people would be confused by..but that's because I know who's calling. Unless, of course, someone else is borrowing that person's cell phone to call me. That does occasionally happen.

I guess cell phones with numbers saved in them cuts down on wrong numbers. So does all the individual cell phones.

:lol:

One of the funniest conversations in our family was when dh answered the phone at his (now-deceased) grandmother's house. It was dh's aunt, but he thought it was his sister. Aunt thought dh was dh's dad (her brother). It took a while to figure everything out! :D

And for the grammar cops I know my title should have read ....until you know to whom you are speaking." :lol:

Most grammarians don't have a problem with ending with a preposition in informal speech. It would be awkward. ;) :p

Did I tell you about the time I got a call asking for a girl (we'll call her Sarah)?

phone rings

Caller: Is Sarah there?

Me: Sorry, wrong number.

phone rings

Caller: Is this Sarah?

Me: Sorry, STILL the wrong number.

phone rings

Caller: Can I speak to Sarah?

Me: DUDE! She gave you a FAKE number, she was not interested in you!

Caller: Oh man, that's harsh.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

phone rings

phone rings

phone rings

LOL

Most grammarians don't have a problem with ending with a preposition in informal speech. It would be awkward. ;) :p

Did I tell you about the time I got a call asking for a girl (we'll call her Sarah)?

phone rings

phone rings

phone rings

She didn't deserve him anyway.

As for the prepositions the one I notice most is "at." The sentence "Where's it at," makes me just a bit crazy. I tend to want to curl up in the fetal position when I hear, "Where are you at?"

Edited by Parrothead

I've been the caller before..... I called the police dept. to tell them we had a monkey in our tree. I was so shocked to see the monkey that I didn't realize I wasn't talking to the police dept. They guy on the other end had a great laugh at my expense.

And it wasn't even a monkey, but we won't go there. :o:leaving:

(BTW, the police did come out to the house and also got a laugh at my expense. And that's all I'm saying.)\\:tongue_smilie:

I've been the caller before..... I called the police dept. to tell them we had a monkey in our tree. I was so shocked to see the monkey that I didn't realize I wasn't talking to the police dept. They guy on the other end had a great laugh at my expense.

(BTW, the police did come out to the house and also got a laugh at my expense. And that's all I'm saying.)\\:tongue_smilie:

:lol::smilielol5:

Many many years ago, when I was a totally different person, I gave the dispatcher a short break. Some guy calls and wants an officer because his dog is acting like someone was in the yard.

So I key the mic and send Officer Smith to 123 Some Street in reference because the caller's dog is having (no, not a duck) kittens.

I was in labor with my youngest ds--our 11yo ds wanted to help in some way....we told him to call my aunt to inform her that we would not be at her house the next day for Thanksgiving....this was at 11:30pm....I was in bathroom--I heard from the other side of the door ds calling aunt--in a very excited voice...."Hi Aunt D. --we will not be able to make it tomorrow for Thanksgiving--Momma's water just broke and she is in labor and Dad is taking a shower and I am going to be a big brother!!--what?? huh?? oh---sorry--wrong number!! " :lol::lol:

We giggled about that alllllllll the way to the hospital. :auto::lol:

Wait. You can't leave us hanging. What was in the tree??

phone rings

phone rings

phone rings

OMG :lol::lol::lol:

phone rings

phone rings

phone rings

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

If there isn't a rule against this, there should be. You know, like talking about the fabulous dessert I'm having after dinner and not sharing the recipe!

A lemur!!!! Oh wow!!!!

Are you sure it was smoking cigarettes?

I'm sorry, I was being obnoxious. It really wasn't a lemur and it wasn't smoking cigarettes. It was a giraffe playing a banjo.

I have no excuse, I get REALLY giddy and obnoxious sometimes when I'm sleep deprived. I'm sorry.

I don't want to tell the truth because I don't want to be judged. You all would pity my poor girls for being stuck with me as their teacher. You'd be overly concerned and never respect me again. You'd try to pass new laws to keep people like me from being allowed to home school. I just can't go there. All I'm saying is that I know my animals. I *LOVE* animals. ALL animals. I'm telling you I *know* what a raccoon looks like!!!!!!! I'm just saying......

Did I already mention the police officer was pulled out of a HEATED town hall meeting to come see my monkey? He was very kind. He tried REAL hard not to laugh in my face. And he really didn't get mad at me, personally, for being covered in pickies from going out in the woods. :blushing::blushing::blushing:

I'm sorry, I was being obnoxious. It really wasn't a lemur and it wasn't smoking cigarettes. It was a giraffe playing a banjo.

I have no excuse, I get REALLY giddy and obnoxious sometimes when I'm sleep deprived. I'm sorry.

I don't want to tell the truth because I don't want to be judged. You all would pity my poor girls for being stuck with me as their teacher. You'd be overly concerned and never respect me again. You'd try to pass new laws to keep people like me from being allowed to home school. I just can't go there. All I'm saying is that I know my animals. I *LOVE* animals. ALL animals. I'm telling you I *know* what a raccoon looks like!!!!!!! I'm just saying......

Did I already mention the police officer was pulled out of a HEATED town hall meeting to come see my monkey? He was very kind. He tried REAL hard not to laugh in my face. And he really didn't get mad at me, personally, for being covered in pickies from going out in the woods. :blushing::blushing::blushing:

One time my mom answered the phone and thought it was my dad, because it sounded just like him. (Before caller ID). The person on the other end asked to speak to my dad, but since my mom thought it WAS my dad, she thought he was just being playful. So she says to him, "Oh he doesn't live here anymore." The man was confused, and asked a few more questions, to which my mom made up some elaborate story (still thinking it was my dad). Finally, the man said, "Well, it's strange because I wanted him to do some work for me {my dad is a contractor} and this is the number he gave me."

My mom realized that it truly was not my dad, and of course she was mortified that she had carried on with him like that! She explained the mistake but it was embarrassing! :lol: :lol:

I was in labor with my youngest ds--our 11yo ds wanted to help in some way....we told him to call my aunt to inform her that we would not be at her house the next day for Thanksgiving....this was at 11:30pm....I was in bathroom--I heard from the other side of the door ds calling aunt--in a very excited voice...."Hi Aunt D. --we will not be able to make it tomorrow for Thanksgiving--Momma's water just broke and she is in labor and Dad is taking a shower and I am going to be a big brother!!--what?? huh?? oh---sorry--wrong number!! " :lol::lol:

We giggled about that alllllllll the way to the hospital. :auto::lol:

That is hilarious! I bet those people never forgot that wrong number either!

One time my mom answered the phone and thought it was my dad, because it sounded just like him. (Before caller ID). The person on the other end asked to speak to my dad, but since my mom thought it WAS my dad, she thought he was just being playful. So she says to him, "Oh he doesn't live here anymore." The man was confused, and asked a few more questions, to which my mom made up some elaborate story (still thinking it was my dad). Finally, the man said, "Well, it's strange because I wanted him to do some work for me {my dad is a contractor} and this is the number he gave me."

My mom realized that it truly was not my dad, and of course she was mortified that she had carried on with him like that! She explained the mistake but it was embarrassing! :lol: :lol:

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5: Did he still hire your dad for the work?

I was grocery shopping with my kids. I was shocked to see my husband in the store! I told the kids, "Look, it's dad!" and ran up to him. I was holding out my hands, just about to pinch his rear end :blushing: when oldest ds said, "MOM! It's NOT HIM!!!" The guy turned around and looked at me. I walked away.

I think I need to stay out of this thread. I'm giving away far too many secrets.

ROFL These are great!!

:lol::lol:

I want to play!

A long time ago, in an area not really that far away....

(Me calling sister for the first time, at her new house in amish country. She was married to an ex-amish. He answers..it went something like this...)

Me: Hi R!! How is it going down there? How is everyone?

R: Hi there! Ahh, it is going great down here, how are you??!

Me: We are doing great.. yadda.. yadda... (about 5 minutes of chit chat..how are you liking the place...yadda..)

R: Oh we love it.. yadda yadda.. (about 5 minutes of chit chat..)

Me: Where are you, it sounds 'echoey' there?

R: Oh, the phone is out in the shed, so I am out there.

Me: Ahh, I see. (this can be common where they live)

R: Yadda.. yadda.. talks about family.. ect....

Me: Well R., does L. (my sister) happen to be home? Just thought I would chat with her about the new place..

R: Who is L.?

Me: LOL R., you know, my sister...

R: Um.. no... my wife's name is... M....

Me: :blink:

Me: Uh... ok.. I think I have the wrong R. (same exact name.. sounded just like him...lol)

R: AHHH, no, you want R. down in S, I am in 'B.' :D

Me: (Long LOL) Well it has been great talking to you R.

R: Yes it has! Call back anytime!! :D

I was grocery shopping with my kids. I was shocked to see my husband in the store! I told the kids, "Look, it's dad!" and ran up to him. I was holding out my hands, just about to pinch his rear end when oldest ds said, "MOM! It's NOT HIM!!!" The guy turned around and looked at me. I walked away.

:lol::lol::lol:

I did this once as a teen with a guy I had recently met, but..err, not with my husband! LOL!

I was grocery shopping with my kids. I was shocked to see my husband in the store! I told the kids, "Look, it's dad!" and ran up to him. I was holding out my hands, just about to pinch his rear end :blushing: when oldest ds said, "MOM! It's NOT HIM!!!" The guy turned around and looked at me. I walked away.

I think I need to stay out of this thread. I'm giving away far too many secrets.

My grandmother was once in line with her kids at the grocery store. My uncle pinched the rear of the man in front of them, he turned around and said "LADY?!?!?!"

:lol::lol:HYSTERICAL!!!:lol: I will be snorting about this all night long!

Oh! I am :lol:

When I was in high school, a girlfriend and I used to pinch each other on the rear when passed each other in the hall.

When I married, I moved away from that town for about a year and a half, then we moved back. My first trip to the grocery store, I saw my friend standing on an aisle, so I snuck up behind her and pinched her! I can STILL...over twenty years later...see the look of COMPLETE SHOCK on the woman's face as she turned around and revealed that she was NOT my friend!

I got so tickled I couldn't breathe! I said "OOPS!" and ran off laughing so hysterically I had tears POURING down my face!!! Oh the look on her face!!!

My SIL is gay. Her new partner at the time and I had the same first name. Once, I was calling her, so my name came up on her cell phone. She answered said "Hi, Tap"...and gave me a quick ear full of some her 'plans' for their date night. It took a second to catch on to what she was saying, and then to get her attention to tell her who I was. Lets just say it wasn't PG! Probably not even R! LOL She was soooooooo embarrassed when she figured out who she was talking to, wasn't her partner. I think it was months before she could talk to me without blushing! I am pretty certain that she added a last name to my contact name after that LOL

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

When I was a teen, my mom and I sounded exactly alike. On one hand, I got to find out whom she stashed my presents with, and what they were...on the other, I had my Dad call home and launch into some...errr...naughty talk before I could interrupt him and tell him that it was his daughter, not his wife, he'd gone on for quite a bit. Finally, in a small voice, I asked if I could go get mom now? Dead silence. About 5 minutes worth, until a gruff, "Yeah. Go get your mother."

My mom was ticked about it, because apparently, she never EVER got a risque conversation from my dad on the phone ever again!

When I was in high school, a girlfriend and I used to pinch each other on the rear when passed each other in the hall.

When I married, I moved away from that town for about a year and a half, then we moved back. My first trip to the grocery store, I saw my friend standing on an aisle, so I snuck up behind her and pinched her! I can STILL...over twenty years later...see the look of COMPLETE SHOCK on the woman's face as she turned around and revealed that she was NOT my friend!

I got so tickled I couldn't breathe! I said "OOPS!" and ran off laughing so hysterically I had tears POURING down my face!!! Oh the look on her face!!!

phone rings

phone rings

phone rings

:lol::lol::lol: EPIC FAIL!!!!

Um, Denise? Was this related to your chronic sleep deprivation? :D

ETA: LOL, I have to stop posting before reading the ENTIRE thread. Sigh.

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

:lol::lol::lol::lol:HAHAHA!!!

Actually, I'm thinking we need to give you a bit of wine and get you to start your own thread :lol:.

Actually, I'm thinking we need to give you a bit of wine and get you to start your own thread :lol:.

oh no!!! Wine AND sleep deprivation? I don't trust myself! I think I've embarrassed myself enough today! ;)

But I almost started another life's embarrassing moments thread several times in the past few days. Let me ponder a little more.:D

oh no!!! Wine AND sleep deprivation? I don't trust myself! I think I've embarrassed myself enough today! ;)

But I almost started another life's embarrassing moments thread several times in the past few days. Let me ponder a little more.:D

If it makes you feel any better, Denise, I've been know to walk into sliding glass doors and walls because of sleep deprivation. I was called into the office once and asked if I was on drugs. "Nope. I have no excuse. I just walk into things!"

If it makes you feel any better, Denise, I've been know to walk into sliding glass doors and walls because of sleep deprivation. I was called into the office once and asked if I was on drugs. "Nope. I have no excuse. I just walk into things!"

I'm only 5'2". Sometimes automatic doors are not set properly and do not open for me. Sometimes I'm not paying attention while putting my wallet away and BLAM!!!

Story #1

A friend was out of town for the weekend. When she got home she had this whole string of messages on her answering machine.

Caller1 Hi Andy. Jane & I are leaving this morning. We'll see you tomorrow.

Caller2 Hello Andy. We're about to leave and well be there tonight. See ya. Bob.

Caller1 Yo Andy. We made good time today. We'll be at your place about 10 tomorrow.

Caller2 Andy. Andy. Pick up. We're in town and need directions to your place.

Caller2 Andy. Come buddy. We're at the Duncan Donuts. We have the address, but don't know how to get there.

Caller2. Andy we've been calling for two hours. Where are you?

Caller1 Andy. We're in town. See you soon.

Caller1 Andy? Is this the right number? I got it from Bob. I'm going to kill Bob if he gave us the wrong number.

She never did find out who Andy was and if his friends found him.

Story#2

My Mom (named Mary) had just returned from the grocery and was unloading the bags, had a package of Epsom salts in her hand, when the phone rang.

Mom: Hello.

Caller: Mary?

Mom: Yes. (she didn't recognize the voice)

Caller: Okay so I have the Epsom salts. How much do I use.

She didn't know whether to tell him he had the wrong number or to answer his question, since she had the Epsom salts in her hand and her name was Mary.

Once, back before I had kids, I was active in a professional association.

So one day at work I get this phone call:

Caller: Hello. This is so-and-so. I'm calling about the ASTD meeting tonight.

Me: Yes. How can I help you?

Caller: I'm wondering where the so-and-so breakout room meets.

Me, a little puzzled that someone was asking me: Well, just a minute, let me see if I can find out. Yes, here it is. It's in Room 14.

Caller: And what time does that start?

Me: Well, networking is at 6:00. Dinner is at 7:00. And the breakout groups are at 8:30.

(Many more of these sorts of questions and answers.)

Caller: Well thanks so much for all your help. I hope I see you tonight.

Me: Sure. I'll look for you. But I have a question for you.

Caller: Yes?

Me: How did you get my number?

Caller: I got it off the website.

Me: What website? (I had a minor volunteer leadership role. I was not on any website as a contact.)

Caller: The national website.

Me: There's no way my number would be on the national website.

Caller: Well it is. Isn't this 555-1212?

Me: No. This is 554-1212. (My number was like one number off the number on the website.)

We both cracked up. This caller had dialed a complete wrong number and got all her questions answered perfectly! We both agreed that it was our lucky day, and we should go buy lottery tickets immediately! LOL! (I did not win the lottery.)

you know, this must be why I've been accident prone lately! I never thought of this before!