Menu

Does Fondant TASTE good?

I have seen some beautiful and amaaaazing cakes made on Cake Boss, and some other cake-making shows I just happened to find while flipping through TV at night. It seems Fondant is the thing today with this cakes that are almost like sculptures.

But does it taste good? It seems like it is rather stiff, I mean, I see them rolling it out, lifting up like a large pizza dough, drape it, mold it, etc....I just can't see how it could taste as good as, say, buttercream frosting.

Life changing thoughts, huh?:tongue_smilie:

Anyone taste this stuff before?

My cake decorating dd uses it a lot to add embellishments on top of the frosting. It looks incredible but we peal it off before we eat the cake. The little kiddos eat it because it looks so cool.:tongue_smilie: It is kind of like chewing on plastic to me. (YUCK)

I'm making another fondant wedding cake next week.

Store-bought fondant is HORRID---think playdough with a bit of sugar added (really the recipes are that similar!).

The Wilton brand is inedible!

Marshmallow fondant is yummy (if you like marshmallows) and covers cakes beautifully. I flavor mine with vanilla and either almond, citrus or a berry flavor. The cake I'm making next week will be a white velvet cake with raspberry jam (and butter cream) filling. The fondant will have a touch of raspberry flavor--the fondant pearl boarder will have a stronger raspberry flavor (like a candy).

I made a strawberry filled cake for this brides sister (my nieces) last summer. I had strangers telling me that they wanted any extra 'pearls'--and most of the guests ATE the fondant! (some were afraid due to past experiences...).

Just google recipes for marshmallow fondant.. basically you use Kraft marshmallows (water and flavorings)--just like you make rice cereal treats--but mix in powdered sugar (important that it is cane not beet sugar) with a mixer and dough hook... then finish off by kneading on the counter...

I'll be making 4 batches of it to cover the cake... (I only need 3 but I want some extra just in case!).

Lots of youtube videos on marshmallow fondant too!

The fondant is similar to pie dough (a bit softer) when applied--also the cake is iced with butter cream BEFORE the fondant is applied. The fondant will actually bind (melt together) with the butter cream... The outer layer is a bit stiff--but the icing is still moist against the cake.

Edited by Jann in TX

ETA: Looked it up online.

Ok--expensive fondant can taste good. Most people use cheap-o yucky fondant.

There is often a layer of regular frosting underneath the fondant, so you can peel off the fondant and eat the regular frosting if you want to.

Edited by Garga

Just google recipes for marshmallow fondant.. basically you use Kraft marshmallows (water and flavorings)--just like you make rice cereal treats--but mix in powdered sugar (important that it is cane not beet sugar) with a mixer and dough hook... then finish off by kneading on the counter...

Oh wow! I've never heard of this! I will have to let dd do this next time because that other stuff is expensive and just goes to waste. Thanks!

It depends on what kind of fondant you are eating. There are many different recipes. Wilton Fondant is the WORST. Homemade Marshmallow fondant is pretty good, easy to work with and very cheap. I personally like rolled chocolate fondant. It tastes delicious and after you get the hang of working with it is very manageable. I've bought Satin Ice which is a very reliable readymade fondant. It tastes ok too. It is my fave if I am not making my own. Choco-pan is tasty too. I've only used it once but it was just as good as Satin-Ice. Fondarific tastes yummy (like starburst) but tends to be a tad greasy and unstable IMO.

I'm making another fondant wedding cake next week.

Store-bought fondant is HORRID---think playdough with a bit of sugar added (really the recipes are that similar!).

The Wilton brand is inedible!

Marshmallow fondant is yummy (if you like marshmallows) and covers cakes beautifully. I flavor mine with vanilla and either almond, citrus or a berry flavor. The cake I'm making next week will be a white velvet cake with raspberry jam (and butter cream) filling. The fondant will have a touch of raspberry flavor--the fondant pearl boarder will have a stronger raspberry flavor (like a candy).

I made a strawberry filled cake for this brides sister (my nieces) last summer. I had strangers telling me that they wanted any extra 'pearls'--and most of the guests ATE the fondant! (some were afraid due to past experiences...).

I'll be making 4 batches of it to cover the cake... (I only need 3 but I want some extra just in case!).

Lots of youtube videos on marshmallow fondant too!

The fondant is similar to pie dough (a bit softer) when applied--also the cake is iced with butter cream BEFORE the fondant is applied. The fondant will actually bind (melt together) with the butter cream... The outer layer is a bit stiff--but the icing is still moist against the cake.

Very informative. Thanks!

Okay, so I am hearing, Fondant does not usually taste good, but it is possible depending on the recipe, and sounds like Marshmellow is pretty much always good.

So you are saying you peel the Fondant off and there is buttercream underneath? How does peeling the Fondant off NOT pull the buttercream and/or make it look "weird"?

Geez, you'd think I was planning on making cake...I'm not btw....just having a blank mind day and thoughts landed here :).

Another thing you can do that works similarly is to use the wedding mint/cream cheese mint recipe (1 oz of softened cream cheese mixed with mint flavoring and 1 cup powdered sugar and a little food coloring, scale up as needed) and use it as fondant if you like mint. I assume you could do other flavors, too. It is very moldable and workable. I had a friend who used this on a chocolate cake for her wedding, and it was wonderful.

I have used this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Marshmallow-Fondant/Detail.aspx

several times. It tastes good. Not awesome knockyoursocksoff good. Not buttercream good. But you can eat it.

My secret? I don't listen to the directions and I use a thick crumb layer to lay the fondant on. IOW I make a buttercream frosting and basically frost the cake (a little thinner than normal) and then use the fondant.

We never eat all the fondant BUT you can eat some of it and it isn't bad.

Another thing you can do that works similarly is to use the wedding mint/cream cheese mint recipe (1 oz of softened cream cheese mixed with mint flavoring and 1 cup powdered sugar and a little food coloring, scale up as needed) and use it as fondant if you like mint. I assume you could do other flavors, too. It is very moldable and workable. I had a friend who used this on a chocolate cake for her wedding, and it was wonderful.

Mint is just a flavoring so you can use vanilla (clear vanilla if needed) or any other flavor you might want.

Of course with a good cream cheese frosting who needs any other flavor added?! :tongue_smilie:

Agreed with the PP who said the expensive stuff tastes good! I've tasted Duff Goldman's fondant (ace of cakes on Food Network) and it was good...

I also have a girlfriend who does cakes on the side. When she started making fondant, it was barely edible (sorry, darling; I hope you still love me)--now that she's been making it for a year and has ratcheted up the ingredients along with her expertise, the fondant is now YUMMY!

Okay, so I am hearing, Fondant does not usually taste good, but it is possible depending on the recipe, and sounds like Marshmellow is pretty much always good.

So you are saying you peel the Fondant off and there is buttercream underneath? How does peeling the Fondant off NOT pull the buttercream and/or make it look "weird"?

Geez, you'd think I was planning on making cake...I'm not btw....just having a blank mind day and thoughts landed here :).

Actually I am quite glad you asked because I have been wondering for a long time! We watch all those cake shows all the time.