Menu

Have you read this article on homeschooling??

Mommamia

Couldn't get the link above to work. Is this the right article?

Home-Schooling Researched

Beyond that... :cursing:

Parents justify themselves by reciting isolated incidents to help build their case for home schooling.

Maybe so, but then the author of this so-called "researched" article goes on to do the same thing to accuse homeschoolers of being religious fanatics that beat and kill their children.

I really dislike this image of homeschoolers, and people that think it's okay to throw stones.

Guest Dulcimeramy

What a moronic piece of blathering ignorance!

My third grader could write better sentences. My fifth grader could write with better inherent logic. My seventh grader could make a more scholarly attempt at research, analysis and synthesis. Not one of my children ever spent a day in "our prestigious public schools."

Well, at least my children know the difference between plural and possessive (i.e. biases not "bias's," proms not "prom's," and student's not "students"). :rolleyes:

I love this quote:

They will not get to experience the simple things like go to prom's, participate in sports in which an entire school is benefited, have a school lunch, a lock on their locker, a ride on a school bus, recess, watching for their school to be cancelled on TV from snow days, and all the other little but character building events that take place in a public school students life.

Oh my poor kids, missing the chance to spend 90 minutes a day on a bus (full of loudmouthed bullies) and having a lock on their lockers (which they would probably share with at least one other student due to overcrowding)! They have to settle for nature study, weekly museum trips, lots of hands-on labs and experiments, reading material that's several grade levels above what they'd get in school, and all that individualized one-on-one attention that deprives them of so many character-building activities (being ignored, being bored, feeling totally lost and stupid...).

Jackie

Nothing like having someone throw the baby out with the bathwater. That is the close minded approach that I am happy to have gotten away from. She discussing how the "idea of violence" is why people take their kids out of public school. In my case it was ACTUAL violence.... when you have a small, third grade little girl who is getting stabbed in the arm with sharpened pencils by a classmate, or knocked down repeatedly and kneed in the back on the playground and having to be rescued by OTHER CHILDREN... you have to wonder about the "culture" our particular public school is creating. I tried.. believe me.. I tried to get things to change for the better. But the idea that kids can act that way has become so common place at school that it is virtually ignored. I am not interested in this person's opinion, any more than I was the half hearted apologies of the staff members who did not protect my children when they were supposed to.

I asked my daughter, "do you feel safe at school?" and she replied, "sometimes..." For me, it's not about "protecting" my children from the world in general, it is about taking them out of an environment that was CHANGING who I felt like they could become, right before my very eyes. Now, they get to learn in a safe environment, and the entire WORLD is opened up to them.

Using "bias's" as the plural of bias?

Well, at least my children know the difference between plural and possessive (i.e. biases not "bias's," proms not "prom's," and student's not "students"). :rolleyes:

Poor kitties. :crying:

Ironic. I don't think Beatrix Potter would have approved. Isn't she supposed to have said, "Thank goodnes I was never sent to school; it would have rubbed off some of the originality."

-Nan

:iagree:

That is what I was thinking the whole time. I read the Beatrix Potter bio on that same site and it talked about her growing up in isolation and being educated at home by a governess. A governess not a tutor!

Then the author compares Pennsylvania's strict teacher certification to California and Texas' homeschool regulations. HUH? At least use the same state in the comparison! She accuses parents of using isolated incidents and then she herself uses isolated incidents. THEN, the links at the bottom for books are all in English Pounds...maybe she needs to be more concerned about what is going on in England and not America?

That woman is nuts. Her poor sentence structure and spelling are a good reason for me to keep homeschooling. Don't even get me started on her shabby research skills. She must have known more experienced minds would have made mincemeat of her article since she has no reply or comment enabled.

Sounds to me like this gal has made one too many trips down the rabbit hole. ;)

Trying to pick just one assumption to chuckle at here...

..violence as primary reason for all HSers...nah..

...all Christian HSers are out to murder their children...nah...

...it takes a 4yr Ed Degree to qualify to teach...nah...

...HSers read some book about Dummies to learn how to HS....nah...

...all teachers with a 4yr Ed degree are qualified to teach...nah...

...all HSers live in complete isolation and will therefore not know how to handle idiot bosses (evidently years of dealing with bullies will help:001_huh:)...nah...

Let's just hone in on the assumption that public schools are THE mecca for education itself and parents desiring to teach their OWN children are out of the norm. No, no, no....THIS IS IT!! PUBLIC SCHOOLS ARE UNBIASED!!!!?!?:lol::lol::lol::lol: REALLY???? WOW!!! -Let me translate that for you all....what she means is that everyone who disagrees with her political/religuos/moral idealogy has no right to teach their own children, but should rather pass them on to the ps system so SHE (I mean the unbiased ps:lol:) can indoctrinate them rightly.:glare::lol:

Sadly, this uninformed POV does pose a threat to all of us!

It's sad that the author never conceives of that fact that some homeschooling parents may actually be perfectly competent and mentally stable -- just because a high school diploma may not be required in some states, does not mean that everyone who homeschools his/her child is illiterate. Some parents, as we know, have teaching credentials. And many private (or even public) schools allow uncredentialled teachers in the classroom. I am just not sure one should try to extrapolate anything from Andrea Yates, except perhaps the need for better access to mental health services.

Frankly I find the fact that so many adults -- most of whom are products of the public school system -- are functionally illiterate makes it hard to enthusiastically recommend that system. I cringed recently while watching a program on Philadelphia [i think] and how the high rate of high school drop outs meant there was a high illiteracy rate: I thought basic literacy was conquered before 12th grade.

My guess, this was written by a high school student for the debate team.

Oh, man! As a former high school debater, I find that accusation rather offensive. :lol: We would NEVER have put forth such a poorly formed argument. We took our skills and talent as researchers and debaters very seriously. :tongue_smilie:

The way the site is organized suggests that the whole thing is just an exercise in search engine optimization (for example, all the repetitive links in the sidebar, written as search terms and not as human beings intentionally organize information). "See this authors research by clicking here" (at the bottom of the page) is a link to a coupon site. This is simply not a webpage put together by someone who cares about its content.

Whoever put this site together makes money from clicks and links. They grabbed this old, awful article off the web and pasted it into their site to draw eyeballs. The more people who look at it and link to it, the more money they get - so posting a dumb, biased article that people will feel compelled to refute is actually in their best interest.

I vote for not giving them any attention.

Edited to add: Yep. Try Googling for a good-sized search string, and you'll see that the article has been posted and reposted, almost exclusively (Greg Laden is the sterling exception) on sites which are obviously just link farms. http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADSA_enUS384US384&q=%22When+I+asked+myself+the+question%2c+How+do+you+feel+about+home+schooling%3f+I+first+thought+%22Why+would+anyone+do+that%22+So+I+researched+exactly+that%2c+What+are+the+reasons+that+people+give+of+why+they+choose+to+homeschool+and+how+valid+are+they.+%22

Edited by Rivka

I think this website might only be to create traffic to certain links. It is an odd mix of posts that copy extensively from other sources (example, a list of children's books with reviews from Booklist or Publisher's Review that were possibly just copied from Amazon), posts that don't relate to their title (Children's Books in Japanese where the text is about Amazon profits for a certain period), and post that look obviously lifted (About the Author followed by an add for children's products).

I'd say this site is a front and not worth the agitation.

I'm having a hard time figuring out where I would start . . . the poor grammar? The illogical "logic?" The blanket assumptions and generalizations?

:iagree: I am almost LAUGHING. I am not scholarly or a fantabulous :D writer by any means but that article was LAME!! Poor girl . . . she is obviously VERY ignorant about what home schooling is all about . . . .

I am sure there is some logical fallacy at work there too (help from you Logic stage mamas). She is painting all homeschoolers with the same broad brush when the incidents she is citing are EXTREMELY rare and severe. I do believe that Andrea Yates' tragic case has some root in severe post-partum psychosis anyway. It had NOTHING to do with home schooling.

Whatever logical fallacy she is using could be used in a variety of scenarios. I've already thought of a number of "mean" examples :D. PLENTY of parents from ALL walks of life abuse, neglect, and even kill their children . . . shall we outlaw parenting?!! How absurd . . . the real issue for those wacko cases is the condition of the human heart.

and, I can tell by her excellent grammar and sentence structure that she is a product of the public school system...

geez...what a twit...

:lol::lol::lol: I feel really bad about it but I burst out laughing just now. She probably is quite young and bitter about something . . .

Guest Cindie2dds
What a moronic piece of blathering ignorance!

After I read the follow quote, I stopped. Simply ignorant.

In an institution goals are made to make sure that the material being taught is bias free.

Ah ha! That explains a lot. I must remember to warn my children about such sites. Probably they already know about them LOL, but I will do it anyway. That mostly seems to be what I do these days. Either that, or they say, "Why didn't you tell me that?" and I bit my tongue not saying, "Well if you were more polite when I tell you things that you might already know."

-Nan

The way the site is organized suggests that the whole thing is just an exercise in search engine optimization (for example, all the repetitive links in the sidebar, written as search terms and not as human beings intentionally organize information). "See this authors research by clicking here" (at the bottom of the page) is a link to a coupon site. This is simply not a webpage put together by someone who cares about its content.

Whoever put this site together makes money from clicks and links. They grabbed this old, awful article off the web and pasted it into their site to draw eyeballs. The more people who look at it and link to it, the more money they get - so posting a dumb, biased article that people will feel compelled to refute is actually in their best interest.

I vote for not giving them any attention.

Edited to add: Yep. Try Googling for a good-sized search string, and you'll see that the article has been posted and reposted, almost exclusively (Greg Laden is the sterling exception) on sites which are obviously just link farms. http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADSA_enUS384US384&q=%22When+I+asked+myself+the+question%2c+How+do+you+feel+about+home+schooling%3f+I+first+thought+%22Why+would+anyone+do+that%22+So+I+researched+exactly+that%2c+What+are+the+reasons+that+people+give+of+why+they+choose+to+homeschool+and+how+valid+are+they.+%22

Ah, thank you for explaining this! I'm glad to have someone who is far more internet savvy than myself to figure these things out for me. :D

I love this quote:

Oh my poor kids, missing the chance to spend 90 minutes a day on a bus (full of loudmouthed bullies) and having a lock on their lockers (which they would probably share with at least one other student due to overcrowding)! They have to settle for nature study, weekly museum trips, lots of hands-on labs and experiments, reading material that's several grade levels above what they'd get in school, and all that individualized one-on-one attention that deprives them of so many character-building activities (being ignored, being bored, feeling totally lost and stupid...).

Jackie

:D :iagree:

I love this quote:

Jackie

Poor kitties. :crying:

I haven't read all the replies yet. This is full of errors in grammar. I know I make errors, and don't proof read my replies like I should. However, I do proof read blogs, letters or other pieces meant for others to view. Her research was very lacking. This was just writtem so poorly. I am at a loss for words here.