Menu

Library vs. buying books

KrissiK

For those extra books for history and science, how effective is it to use the library? THose who are successful library users do you just carry around a list of books you're going to need in the next several weeks, or a list of topics? Do you request books? I actually was pretty successful using the library for Egypt, because our library has a ton of Egypt books, but our library's system for arranging books is still a mystery to me and I see the books recommended in SOTW1, but sometimes the library doesn't have it and then I requested it and we had studied and buried Alexander the Great by the time they actually got the book in. I'm frustrated and wish I could be more organzied because it's expensive to buy all the books I want (though I do get some pretty good deals on Amazon - used books and then when you factor in the fact that I'd probably be paying late fees at the library it's really a financial wash). SO, does anyone have a good method or is it just hit or miss with all of you, too?

I buy the books. I'm 7 miles from the library and I would have to go every week. It is a small library so I'd also have to do a lot of ILL. I'd also be checking out the same book 4 times since I have four children. It just isn't worth the hassle for me. Now, if I couldn't afford to buy them, I'd work harder at making the library work. As it is, I buy lots of books used.

Guest clar0296

We have a great library system so I used that extensively the last school year. I put in all of my book requests during the curriculum planning stage, but then I suspend (inactivate) the requests. That way I have waited in line long enough for some of the books when I am ready to activate them. I can actually list a future date to activate requests so sometimes I do that if I know which weeks we will need them.

We do go to the library once a week to pick up/return, and I have special baskets for pending and completed library books so the kids and I can keep track of what we need to return. We rarely have late fees, but there is a lot of time involved in searching the catalog, making the requests, etc.

I use the library, heavily. We currently have 53 books out... 3 books over our limit!

What I do to prepare is about 3 weeks before I'll need them, I start looking for books on a specific topic. I use amazon and google to find books. Then I use my librarys online site to search for the books. Anything that needs to be shipped from another library or anything that is currently out, I request. Everything that is currently in stock I pick up right away.

The 3 week time period means I can be done with the books before they need to be returned, but also leaves time for the checked out books/requested books to come in.

I use the library all the time! I hardly ever buy a book if we are only going to read it and be finished with it.

My favorite thing to do is to place the books on hold and make the librarians grab them for me to just pick up at the front desk! No hunting through the jumbled shelves!

I put all the books in the "save for later" part in my account and then go in and request when I need them. As I'm planning, I note if the book is checked out and when I'll need it and I gauge that with the loan period. There's been a couple times that I had to make a substitution because it wasn't available.

Our library does not have late fees. Which can be good and bad. Sometimes people keep the books behind their due dates because they don't have incentive to return them. But then again, no fees is really really nice when I just forget to return the books!

I stay totally flexible. I'm not looking for XYZ Guide to Egypt, I'm looking for a book geared toward K-3 crowd about Egypt. I can almost always find several titles that will work for what we're interested in. I don't think this would work for a highly planned out curriculum like Sonlight, but it's very easy to supplement SOTW or CHOW using this approach.

Last year we used SOTW I AND our library was doing renovations so many of the books that I was going to need would have been going into storage. My librarian asked if I could provide lists of books for each week that I would need for the entire school year. She kept the lists at the library and would pull the books out for me before they went into storage. They were then kind enough to allow me to check-out all of the books (which I kept in order on a shelf at home) and extended my due date on everything to May 31st. Any books that our library didn't have, she would request through Inter-Libarary Loan and they would arrive around the time that we were studying that period. We would read the books when we got to that chapter and then return them when we were finished with them.

This process worked great for me but, what did not work great was providing the book lists. I did not have access to a copier and so I was typing up all of the books for each week on a separate sheet to submit to the library. What would work better....copy the additional reading sheet from SOTW book and submit THAT to the library. They usually need 3 -6 weeks advance notice to send out for ILL books and 1 week notice for books that the library has on it's shelves.

This year we switched to VP history and there are far fewer books needed in their priority one resources. I bought most of them through www.rainbowresource.com and a few that I found with better prices at www.amazon.com. For the volume of books that SOTW recommends, we'd have broken the bank purchasing them all so the library was a good fit for us. With VP we're reading fewer books and I'm hoping to concentrate more on those few that we're reading. Since we're taking more time on each book and I have 2 dc that need to read them, I felt that owning the books was better than borrowing.

I use a library in the next town because they have a much better selection, and most important they have an online calalogue and hold system. I love it because I can sit down when I get the curriculum and look up all the books I want or need. If they don't have the exact one I find something else that covers the lesson/unit. The online system allows me to make lists and that way I can take books on my lists and get the library to pull and hold them for me about a week before I need them. I keep them 2-3 weeks and then the cycle begins again.

There are a few books I have bought, but those were books on my list and I happened to find them at the thrift shop at some point. I make it a point to go to 3-4 shops every other week or so and I specifically look for books, legos and lincoln logs. Somehow it works...and there are a very few that I buy new, usually because I examined them and know I can use them for many years and for all the kisd.

I've done both. The library system I'm with now does not charge late fees so that is a big help; otherwise I just wouldn't use it.

I've developed a plan on using the library. If we need specific books for a class at specific times, then I try to purchase the book. Typically I'll even look for it used online at amazon or alibris, or I'll compare those prices with rainbow resource, christian book, and amazon. I found that I don't always get to the library when I planned to get there, so this is a way to prevent major issues.... and I find it worth it. Now if we are seeking general books for a specific topic AND I know I can get to the library, then I won't purchase those books; I'll just rely on the library to have something that will work. This works great for SOTW when specific books haven't seriously caught my eye.

We use the library here too. I am a mile and half away and it's one of three county libraries that is situated on our community college campus. There are no overdue fines and no limit on the number of books to check out, just a limit on dvds and vhs tapes but that's still 10 of each type a piece. All my kids have library cards so it makes it easy to check out what we need. We typically only wait a week for a hold to come in, so I look ahead a week to see which books I need and put a hold on them.

Not for sure what I will do when we move, cuz it will be to a much smaller town. I will probably invest in more books, but who can have too many books.?

During the summer, I spend a good amount of time doing the legwork. I check our library system and see what is available locally and what is available inter-library loan and make a detailed list to put in my teacher notebook. During the school year, I get on the library site once a week and request those books that we will use in two weeks. It is .50 to have a book sent inter-library loan, which can add up. I just think of it as a small rental fee for the books, many of which I wouldn't have wanted to store on a shelf anyway. If I stay consistent with my system, it works very well and saves money. If, however, I get "off track" for a while, it is extremely frustrating!

We use the library extensively. For SOTW, I just look a week or two ahead of what I am teaching and then request the books. It has worked like a charm and keeps me from searching all over the library. I am fortunate as my library does inter-library transfers.

Frankly I could never afford to buy all of the books I've borrowed from the library over the last decade of homeschooling. Thankfully our county system is quite good with free inter-library loan, and we also use the system in the next county over and the community college library. Between those three and borrowing from friends, I've only bought books used over many weeks and books for the paid classes my oldest is taking because the library wouldn't be reliable for that.

Yes, sometimes it is a pain requesting and picking up books, but the libraries we use are on our normal routes for errands and activities, so I just time it carefully.

When we were using Sonlight/TOG/Beautiful Feet, I used yellow sticky notes in the guide to note a week or two ahead when I needed to borrow a book. If I knew that it was available multiple places, I noted that.

When we were using Sonlight/TOG/Beautiful Feet, I used yellow sticky notes in the guide to note a week or two ahead when I needed to borrow a book. If I knew that it was available multiple places, I noted that.

This is a good idea. I'm trying to get as ahead of the game as possible this summer because I know once we start school again it'll only be a few weeks till soccer starts and then Pioneer Clubs at church and my life will be completely out of control!:tongue_smilie:

I think it depends on the book. Most people can't afford to buy every book you would want, but I find sometimes you need a specific book or you need a book for a long period of time. In those cases, I think it's worth it to buy, especially assuming you can find it for a reasonable price.

On the other hand, we get piles of books from the library. It helps that our library doesn't charge any late fees on children's books. So, so, so useful. But also, while the lists of supplemental materials for SOTW are good, I don't think they're the only good materials. Again, sometimes you do want a specific book. But for many things, especially in history and mythology, I try to trust that what the library has on a topic is a good option and I usually find it pays off pretty well.

I borrow a lot from the Library, but I also love the thrill of hunting for good books that are also cheap. :001_smile: I am trying to never pay full price on a book. I hit up Hastings used books and buy them with credit from selling them my old ones.

I also love to go to the thrift store and browse their book aisle. Last time they had mint condition Amercian Girl and Hardy Boys hardbacks for $1, a few new conditions readers for my 1st grader were .50 You just can't beat that. :D

I try to buy as many books as I can. We live 20 min. away from the library plus I have to order all of our books ILL (we have a very small library) if I don't just time it right, then we never seem to get our books right when we need. So I do buy them as it is just easier for me.

I get everything from the library.

Our system has about 12 interconnected libraries, and an easy-to-use website, so I do all my planning online with them. I have next year's curriculum for History and Science all planned out, and the books are saved in lists. I'll go through and request the books I need one or two weeks in advance, then I'll go pick them up at the drive-through window. I'm so spoiled to have one of those!!

I'm not strict about my schedule (and I plan it all myself) so I can switch it up if a book isn't immediately available or if we want to stretch Greek Mythology to 4 weeks instead of 3.

I use the library, heavily. We currently have 53 books out... 3 books over our limit!

What I do to prepare is about 3 weeks before I'll need them, I start looking for books on a specific topic. I use amazon and google to find books. Then I use my librarys online site to search for the books. Anything that needs to be shipped from another library or anything that is currently out, I request. Everything that is currently in stock I pick up right away.

The 3 week time period means I can be done with the books before they need to be returned, but also leaves time for the checked out books/requested books to come in.

:iagree:

I too borrow heavily from our library system. For say,sotw, I go through each chapter and find out what books my library has on the topic, put them on a list through the library website and then email the list to myself. I'll put a hold on the books a few weeks before I actually need them. But I like a previous poster's idea of putting all the books on hold and suspending them. Great idea!

I look ahead during the summer and plan all of the books I will use for science, history, art and music study.

I first see what I have. Then I see what the library has. Then I place what I didn't find into my Amazon wishlists. I then check paperback swap. I then ask the library to order what I couldn't find. If they order it, I delete it from my wish list. If they don't order it, I buy it if I really want it. If it's a great nonfiction book or resource, I may just buy it anyway for reference. I also buy a lot of out of print books.

For SOTW, I have done this for each chapter:

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2063...1-pm-452k?da=y

The form is one I printed from Donna Young's site. I write a "L" if it's library and "own" if I own it. I check it off as we read it/watch it.

I type up my lists for Science, Art, and Music appreciation. Eventually I will type up SOTW, but it is more for others than for myself. It's a lot of work. :tongue_smilie:

I am using our library and ILL. At the beginning of the year, I spend the time to go through the books that I know that I will need and put them on my library wish lists. Then I go through and just have to request them a couple of weeks ahead of time. I also found out that you can request books for longer than our allotted 3 weeks, as long as you do it when you pick them up.

For SOTW, I have done this for each chapter:

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2063...1-pm-452k?da=y

:tongue_smilie:

Have you done all of SOTW 3? I have been trying to do this, but I'm new to hs and certainly did not have a classical education, so it's taking awhile. I'd love to look over your book list, would you be willing to share?

I check out books for science and history, but not read-alouds or readers. I often can't find a specific book, but usually can get ones that are good fits overall, and for science, as long as I can get a dozen decent books on a topic, that's reasonable. Even with paying late fees and a lost book now and then, I think it's still less expensive, and more important, less of a storage hassle.

I'm an adjunct at a state university, so I have access to their library for higher level materials, which is helpful as a reference.

Have you done all of SOTW 3? I have been trying to do this, but I'm new to hs and certainly did not have a classical education, so it's taking awhile. I'd love to look over your book list, would you be willing to share?

I have, but I wasn't planning on scanning all of the pages any time soon. Eventually, I will put them on my blog, but I am currently trying to finish my science planning, so it will be a while. The activity guide that accompanies SOTW has great lists too.

I also look at my SOTW chapters and just search my library. That's how I come up with my lists. I do consult my activity guide, but I start with my library.

I buy most of our books. I use TOG for history and lots of living books for the other subjects. Dh just bought me some IKEA Billy Bookcases and our home library is currently a disaster while I get them built and the books arranged.

Our library is good sized, but has more modern books and makes it difficult on you to use the library. They have never ordered any books I have requested. It costs $3 minimum per book for ILL and only for three weeks with no renewal. Regular library books can only be checked out for 3 weeks with one online renewal and one in person at the library renewal. If someone has a hold on the book, you cannot renew it. You cannot put a hold on a book you currently have checked out to get more time. If the book is in the library, you can't put a hold on it. If the book is in the bookmobil, story time area, etc, you can't check it out even though it is all the same library. You can only check out three books at a time by the same author or in the same Dewey Decimal section. This makes it impossible to do an indepth study of something. They make it as hard as they can and are not helpful at all.

I only use the library for a few things. If I am considering buying something I will see if the library has it so I can preview it. This works mainly for adult books. I don't buy things the library has that are not necessary for our schooling like Amelia Bedelia and Richard Scarry. If a child is interested in something generic that I don't want to take up our family library space with we get a book from the library. One ds is interested in sharks so we get library books about them. I don't use the library much.

Melinda

Edited by Melinda S in TX

I use the library a lot. Last year, I only purchased the books that were used for an extended period (over 6 weeks), and those were at discounted prices. Then, I would request books 2-3 weeks ahead of time. We have an awesome ILL system, at no charge, but there is a late fee. I just make Mondays our library day, so it isn't a matter of remembering to go to the library to return something.

It does require planning, but I didn't have the option of purchasing all the wanted books last year.

Even if I did purchase all of my required reading, I would still use the library for enrichment reading and book basket.

Plus, I feel so affirmed at the libary by all the people when my kids are walking out with armloads and cartloads of books! We always get good comments from everyone.

I buy the books. I'm 7 miles from the library and I would have to go every week. It is a small library so I'd also have to do a lot of ILL. I'd also be checking out the same book 4 times since I have four children. It just isn't worth the hassle for me. Now, if I couldn't afford to buy them, I'd work harder at making the library work. As it is, I buy lots of books used.

This is similar to us except no ILL at this library. So we have to go 25 miles and pay fees. So buying is easier than doing this 4 times...