Menu

Does being fit equal being healthy?

For those of you who are fit or who once were fit, were you healthier when fit? I am defining fit as being a healthy weight and being able to pass a basic fitness test (perhaps there is a better way to define it, in which case, enlighten me!). I am defining healthy as not being prone to colds, flues (spelling? I don't mean a chimney!), infection or illness.

Yes. But I haven't seen those years since I got pregnant with the boys.

Back then, I got enough sleep, and exercised anywhere from 7-20 hours a week. Okay, so the 20 hr/wk plan only lasted 4 months. I think I got pregnant in self-defense!

I never did have a long-term healthy eating plan that I carried out long-term. I ate what I wanted, stayed away from fast food (which I don't like, so no problem). Truth be told, I exercised so I could eat what I wanted, and that isn't lettuce and Diet Coke.

My doctors always characterized me as "healthy as a horse" -- I don't look like a horse (my face is round, for gosh sake), so I didn't appreciate that, although I liked the "healthy" part. I didn't have even a cold until I moved from Atlanta to Boston (which I attribute to stress and a new germ environment).

Edited by RoughCollie

I'm healthy in the sense that I have low blood pressure, low cholesterol, appropriate blood counts but I never get enough sleep these days and I'm about 40 pounds from being fit.

OTOH, I've known people who were very fit but still unhealthy - they ate mostly junk food, drank constantly but did a lot of exercise. They had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, never ate a vegetable or fruit or drank water.

Well, I have to answer -- my dad was very, very fit but he was not healthy - He was diagnosed with Leukemia when he was 55 and he passed away at 60.

He skied cross country, sailed a 30 foot sailboat, did nordic track, ran, lifted weights.......but as fit as he was, he did have high blood pressure, and I think high cholesterol - but not really sure about that one.

When he was in the hospital right before he died, his doctor commented that for someone who was not particularly healthy, he was certainly fit.

Whenever I hear the 'fit but not healthy' thing, I think of my dad.

Not necessarily. My husband is a few pounds overweight with a bit of a paunch, doesn't exercise regularly, eats whatever junk he wants and never takes vitamins, but his "numbers" are amazing - perfect. He's also rarely sick. I'm slim, watch what I eat, exercise and take vitamins, and my BP and cholesterol are both high. I have stomach problems, and I got swine last year which he avoided.

Much as I'm glad he's healthy, don't think it doesn't annoy me somewhat. :glare:

Nope, I am genetically blessed and am fit due to that more than anything. My family on both sides have lived into the high 80's/90's unless something specific took them sooner (my father died from cancer due to heavy smoking and working with asbestos-he was 75 ). We have good cholesterol, heart rates, have strong muscles etc. Even with my blown back I can still lift more than a lot of people who don't (per the PT who just did a physical capacity exam on me).

But, that doesn't mean that I eat well, have a strong immune system or am otherwise healthy. My brother who has lived on fast food and beer for years, still has a strong body, but you can tell that he is definitely not healthy (suspected liver issue).

I do think they are related, being fit/healthy, but not exclusive to one another.

OTOH, I've known people who were very fit but still unhealthy - they ate mostly junk food, drank constantly but did a lot of exercise. They had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, never ate a vegetable or fruit or drank water.

I wouldn't define those people as being fit, but I think being thin and being fit are two different things. There are people who exercise, eat healthy, and are fit even though they are not thin. There are people who are thin because of genetics, but not fit at all because they don't exercise or eat healthy.

I think being fit can help protect people from illness, but it's no guarantee. Staying healthy depends on many factor.

my good friend's dd became a vegetarian (not vegan) last summer. This past winter season she was the only person in the family not to get sick once. My friend is convinced it was because of giving up meat. Her dd is over weight but is still young.

I really think it depends on the person and their genes. Didn't David Letterman run regularly before his heart attack? I know he gave up coffee since then and I think I need to.

I think eating healthy is THE most important with exercise second to that. Exercise is very important but really, how good is it if you're not eating right? I also think that maybe you can do some research to see how you can strengthen your immune system. Please check into oil of oregano to take at the first sign of a respiratory infection.

How are you feeling?:grouphug:

I wouldn't define those people as being fit, but I think being thin and being fit are two different things. There are people who exercise, eat healthy, and are fit even though they are not thin. There are people who are thin because of genetics, but not fit at all because they don't exercise or eat healthy.

I think being fit can help protect people from illness, but it's no guarantee. Staying healthy depends on many factor.

:iagree:

People in American culture appear to equate "thin" with healthy which is not the case. DH and I have made a concerted effort with our children to promote healthy habits and healthy self perception. It is so important to distinguish appearance and reality in these matters not only for the sake of one's physical health but also for one's emotional health.

Guest Katia

No, I do not think being fit equals being healthy.

I also do not think that over-weight equals unhealthy; a common misconception of our time.

I know many, many people who have eaten 'healthy', exercised, and were slim but had terrible health problems.

OTOH, I know just as many who were over-weight, ate what they wanted and their only exercise was necessary yard/house work. They have had little to no health problems.

Without going into all the people I know, I will use myself as an example. I am over-weight; always have been. I try to eat 'healthy' but I can't always afford to, and the only exercise I get is house/yard work; other than an occasional walk.

At 50yo, the only prescription med I take is for hypothyroidism, which isn't caused by fitness level or weight. My numbers (blood work) are great and I feel terrific. When I had my children, the doctors were always going on about all the awful things that would happen because I was overweight, but none of it ever did.

Right now, the only 'good' that would come of me losing weight is looking socially acceptable in my clothing, which I wouldn't mind, but not enough to give up chocolate.

I no longer consider myself fit. I am as healthy as humanly possible. I don't remember when I last had anything worse than a cold. I take no medications on a regular basis. My sugar levels are perfect. My blood pressure is excellent. My heart works extremely well. As far as I know, my only health concerns are pretty standard hormonal changes for a person my age.

Not fit - and not healthy! The antibiotics are working, I think. But I get daily sinus headaches and am pretty fatigued.

Exercise both aerobic and strength training may possibly help someone to be more healthly and have more energy so IMHO it is worth a shot which is exactly what I am doing now:001_smile:. If you have better cardiopulmonary conditioning then it is possible to have less problems with cold and flus which is why I have been exercising like a mad women the past month. I also have a bit more energy. I could stand to lose a lot of weight, but I am gradually trying to make healthy changes.

For sinus problems, have you trued the neti pot of Dr.Neilmed nasal rinses? I would consider and ENT doctor as well.

So to sum up, I do think exercise which includes aerobics such as walking or even better interval training coupled with strength training can be very good medicine. It will not take away everything that ails us, but sometimes it can make it a whole lot better. Currently, I am forcing myself to exercise since I feel my health is in peril and it is helping me to feel better. I will probably be able to lose some meds as well such as my blood pressure pills.

:grouphug:

Edited by priscilla
spelling

I only think about being "fit" for my lifestyle, which is different than, say, a professional dancer, or a park ranger, or a Marine. I am able to do the things my life requires of me. Therefore, I am fit, which means I am healthy.:)

Exercise both aerobic and strength training may possibly help someone to be more healthly and have more energy so IMHO it is worth a shot which is exactly what I am doing now:001_smile:. If you have better cardiopulmonary conditioning then it is possible to have less problems with cold and flus which is why I have been exercising like a mad women the past month. I also have a bit more energy. I could stand to lose a lot of weight, but I am gradually trying to make healthy changes.

For sinus problems, have you trued the neti pot of Dr.Neilmed nasal rinses? I would consider and ENT doctor as well.

So to sum up, I do think exercise which includes aerobics such as walking or even better interval training coupled with strength training can be very good medicine. It will not take away everything that ails us, but sometimes it can make it a whole lot better. Currently, I am forcing myself to exercise since I feel my health is in peril and it is helping me to feel better. I will probably be able to lose some meds as well suc as my blood pressure pills.

:grouphug:

I am using the Neil Med Sinus rinse bottles morning and night. The ENT has me on antibiotics for 3 weeks.

I have pretty severe adrenal problems. I want to exercise but I get tired after ten minutes of housework. I am walking almost every night - fairly slow pace but for 45 min. I need to lose a lot of weight but every time I cut down my calories I seem to get sick. I eat healthy meals but too much of them because when my energy level gets too low I eat to try and get enough energy to function.

This thread has been both depressing and uplifting for me. On one hand, it makes me feel better that people can be fit and still have health problems. On the other hand, it makes me depressed that I can't just somehow get fitter and find myself magically healthier. But then the thought of how I can manage to get fit when I am so fatigued to begin with is depressing in and of itself.

Ellie - I'm not fit enough to adequately meet the requirements of being a SAHM.

I got my illness when I was fit. My dd is sick and very fit. So, no, it isn't necessarily related at all. I try not to get angry at all the stupid platitudes about losing weight and gaining health. Since none of my problems are related to my weight, I am not thinking they will improve if I lose weight. Same with many others. Are there people for whom weight loss is a cure? Yes, I believe many type 3 diabetics can get better by being lower weight but I have seen nothing that my inflammatory condition will get better and since it didn't get worse with gaining weight, I see no reason for it to get better with losing either.

Does being fit equal being healthy?

No. You can be fit yet have many health problems that are under the surface. And you can be overweight- probably not obese though- and be relatively healthy. In fact, there are statistics which show that cancer sufferers who are a little overweight when they are diagnosed often live longer than those who are not. I think the figures for what is a healthy weight in our society are too low, and not a good gauge of overall health at all.

But then I wouldn't equate healthy with not getting sick- there are many people who don't get regular colds and things, who drop dead from something like a heart attack.

Getting a cold is the way the immune system and body cleans itself out. All that mucous is clearing you out. Its like having a detox- thats why afterwards you often feel better. Its a good thing to get a cold or flu ocasionally, and not a sign that your immune system is not working or that you are unhealthy- quite the contrary. Better off getting a few acute illnesses every now and then, than have underlying chronic disease. Many people are sub par healthy without even knowing it because the symptoms are not acute enough, and they just got used to them.

(Of course, getting everything that is going around might well be a sign of poor health).

includes not just

our bodies

but our minds

& hearts as well.

I think it is the "whole enchilada"

not just the muscles.

As a midwife, I have often seen women who looked so healthy

(from a visual stance),

but their laboratory values

(ie. life in the blood)

are, quite frankly...CR*PY.

Or they may be generally overweight

or what others would deem as "unhealthy"

but

labs are GREAT...and they are really

happy and contented in their mind

and countenance, and grow the most beautiful babies :)

So, in a nutshell...my answer would be no..they are not equal.

I think health is holistic...body & mind...and I need not forget genetics plays a role too :)

I think reading Proverbs (in the Bible)..one can see connections there too.

just my 2 cents..but looking forward to hearing other replies.

good question :)

I am using the Neil Med Sinus rinse bottles morning and night. The ENT has me on antibiotics for 3 weeks.

I have pretty severe adrenal problems. I want to exercise but I get tired after ten minutes of housework. I am walking almost every night - fairly slow pace but for 45 min. I need to lose a lot of weight but every time I cut down my calories I seem to get sick. I eat healthy meals but too much of them because when my energy level gets too low I eat to try and get enough energy to function.

This thread has been both depressing and uplifting for me. On one hand, it makes me feel better that people can be fit and still have health problems. On the other hand, it makes me depressed that I can't just somehow get fitter and find myself magically healthier. But then the thought of how I can manage to get fit when I am so fatigued to begin with is depressing in and of itself.

Ellie - I'm not fit enough to adequately meet the requirements of being a SAHM.

I have to lose about 80 pounds:( Right now I am concentrating on 3 good meals a day and trying not to over eat. If I am still hungry later, then I will eat something reasonable. I also have not forbidden any foods. I am just trying to make slow, healthy changes.

As for the exercise, I am forcing myself since I had to take prednisone again for breathing so I have the fear of God in me:) With interval training, I walk several minutes at regular pace, then I try to walk uphill for several minutes and then go back to regular and keep repeating the cycle. I also do this with a step aerobic video to try and get my stamina up. You could also try walk/jog if you are able to. I found it a little hard on my joints though. Interval training coupled with weight training is the quickest way to get fit again IMO. I do understand the fatigue since I have been plagued by it as well, but exercise may be able to help.

This is an interesting thread. I see a pattern developing where many people who are fit (good weight, exercise daily) aren't free from illness, and may have other health issues (high blood pressure, high cholesterol,etc.) as much if not more so than over-weight people? Not sure if these statistics would really hold up in the general population, but it is interesting. I myself am about 40-50 pounds overweight, blood pressure and cholesterol are low. I do exercise, but not daily. I try to eat healthy, but I certainly eat my fair share of junk too. I would not consider myself fit, but I am very rarely sick, get enough sleep, and over all feel good most of the time. On the flip side, 15 years ago when I was much thinner, and I thought fitter, I was sick often, chronic back issues (gone now) and tired all the time! Very Interesting!

I am not deluding myself into thinking I shouldn't exercise more, and loose some weight, but maybe really thin and super fit isn't the ideal everyone thinks it is?

maybe really thin and super fit isn't the ideal everyone thinks it is?

I am not sure who IRL thinks this is the ideal. Maybe some people think so. IME, it is peddled to people through various media, and is yet another form of false advertising which can cause great harm particularly to our girls and young women. For me and the manner in which I raise my family, being healthy is about body, mind and spirit. It is about striving toward a proper balance, which is not a popular idea in our culture.

For me being more fit has made me healthier, but I am one of those diabetics for whom losing weight, increasing exercise, and having a regular sleep schedule all greatly reduced my sugar levels. And I am no longer on medication even though I still indulge in desserts occasionally. :)

Aside from the blood sugar issues, I still have colds/sinus issues every season no matter how much I exercise or how close I am to what my doctor and I have agreed is my 'ideal' weight. And exercise had no effect on the irritable bowel disease - but reducing stress and eating a high fiber diet did.

So I think it depends on what your health issues are, and I think simply exercising and maintaining a healthy weight (note I said healthy weight, which is not necessarily the same as thin) are not enough on their own to make you healthy overall.

For the most part, health is a matter of luck. I have been fit all my life. I love walking, fruit and vegetables and I never drank or smoked. I have struggled with health all my life. I even managed to have gestational diabetes during one of my pregnancies even though I was not eating any refined sugar and have no family history. I have met lots of "overweight" people in my life whose only health problem is that people tell them they are overweight. :confused: