Menu

State grades

Once again, we're looking at moving and I'm scrambling trying to find out about the homeschooling laws and requirements in various states. The states we're focusing on are Nevada, New Mexico, and Maryland. But I also thought this might come in handy to anybody else who might be looking at moving.

I liked this simple and easy-to-read chart found in the appendix of Homeschooling Your Child Step-by-Step, but it's probably out-of-date (May 2002).

(A+) Alaska, Illinois, Michigan

(A) Alabama, Arizona, New Jersey, Wyoming

(A-) Idaho, Kansas, Texas

(B+) Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, Utah

(B) District of Columbia, Indiana, Louisiana, Montana, Oklahoma

(B-) Iowa, Washington, Wisconsin

(C+) Arkansas, Maine, Missouri

© California, Delaware, New Mexico, South Carolina

(C-) Florida, Nebraska, Nevada, Oregon

(D+) Colorado, Georgia

(D) Connecticut, Hawaii, Vermont

(D-) Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, West Virginia

(F) Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia

There's actually a lot more information in that section because it breaks down why they rated each state they way they did. Their criteria dealt with each state's laws regarding notification and reporting requirements, parental qualification requirements, school format, testing, subjects required, immunization and attendance records, portfolios, compulsory education ages, etc. Basically, the more requirements and regulations each state had for homeschoolers decreased its grade. I think whether or not schools allowed sports participation and partial enrollment was factored in also.

Anyway, I've also been looking online and found this list:

Least Restrictive States - Alaska, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Texas

Most Restrictive States - Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Utah, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia

Best and Worst States for Homeschoolers

The states were color-coded at the HSLDA site, so I inserted the grade equivalents:

(A) Alaska, Connecticut, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Texas

(B) Alabama, Arizona, California, Delaware, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, District of Columbia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

© Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Iowa, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia

(D) Massachusetts, New York, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont

HSLDA Home School Laws

How accurate would you say this information is and what would you add or change? Thanks for your help!

Maybe it is because I haven't done much research into other states' requirements, but I am always surprised to see Washington on the 'most restrictive' list.

We send in a pre-written document each September, cover 11 specific topics in any way we see fit, and test once per year. No one checks on us. No one asks for our test results or to approve our curricula. I find it very easy to homeschool in Washington.

Maybe it is the requirement that the parent have 45 college credits or take one weekend-long class that puts us in that category?

I'm also surprised. We're a military family so I've spent some time looking at this stuff too. I was surprised to see VA was given an F in the first list. I have found it much easier here than in FL. In FL I had to turn in a LOI which was easy enough and it only had to be once not yearly, in VA I have to turn one in yearly with a simple description of what we'll cover. Both states require either a Nationally standardized test or Teacher portfolio Evaluation yearly, but in VA I can give the test where as in FL I had to have a FL certified teacher give it. With 3 kids and only 1 needing testing it would have been a pain to take him somewhere to be tested. Ideally TX or OK is where we'll retire though which will be much easier.:D

I am surprised Arkansas rated a grade of C. We have to turn in a Notice of Intent once a year and have our student tested once year. No one checks on us at all. I am in a Charter Virtual School which has a few hoops to jump through, but regular hs'lers here have almost zero hoops or restrictions IMO.

I'd say that information is very inaccurate about Minnesota. I homeschooled there for years and it was *easy*. There are many unschoolers in the Twin Cities area. The law in MN was written very loosely to accommodate a wide range of homeschooling styles. For example, eight subject areas have to be addressed each year but the law does not dictate how they are addressed. The parents can spend one day a year on geography, for example, to fulfill the legal requirement for geography. Standardized testing is required yearly, but the parents do not need to submit the scores to anyone. If a child scores below the 35th percentile on standardized tests, the parents need to seek outside help. The law does not specify how much outside help, so simply getting some testing done or hiring a tutor fulfills that requirement.

From a legalistic standpoint, perhaps MN doesn't rate as highly as some other states. From a practical standpoint, however, it is very, very easy to homeschool in MN. Nobody is looking over your shoulder there. Plus, MN has a policy of offering full testing and remediation services to homeschoolers as well as public schoolers. There is no discrimination at all. Parents are not required to use ps services, but the schools do offer them. That can be very useful if a child has speech articulation problems, for example.

TN is very easy. If you don't want to sign up under an umbrella with any religious affiliation at all, it can be hard. But now that we have HomeLife, which doesn't require a SOF, a lot of secular homeschoolers are okay with that.

The requirements for registering through the school system are not as easy as through a church-related school, but I know lots of people who've done it. To do that, a college degree is required for high school, and the kids start taking the TCAP in 5th grade (but I don't think every year).

For those of us registered with church-related schools, we just pay our annual fee, send in a little bit of info (curriculum list, attendance) and that's it.

I've been homeschooling in TN for about 12 years, and I've never met anyone from either Gateway or HomeLife face to face. I send in my paperwork once a year, grades the 2nd semester, and I'm done. Testing is optional.

GA sounds very restrictive to me. Don't they have to send in attendance reports every month? I would also not like living in a state where I had to meet with someone, show them my lesson plans or portfolio, or get any kind of approval.

AL sounds awful to me, too. Apparently the umbrellas are very strict, and there simply IS no option to register outside of a church.

Frankly, I'd love to live in WA where we could do one or two classes at the ps without having to go full-time to get anything. We don't have anything like that here. It's all or nothing.

I'd say that information is very inaccurate about Minnesota. I homeschooled there for years and it was *easy*. There are many unschoolers in the Twin Cities area. The law in MN was written very loosely to accommodate a wide range of homeschooling styles. For example, eight subject areas have to be addressed each year but the law does not dictate how they are addressed. The parents can spend one day a year on geography, for example, to fulfill the legal requirement for geography. Standardized testing is required yearly, but the parents do not need to submit the scores to anyone. If a child scores below the 35th percentile on standardized tests, the parents need to seek outside help. The law does not specify how much outside help, so simply getting some testing done or hiring a tutor fulfills that requirement.

From a legalistic standpoint, perhaps MN doesn't rate as highly as some other states. From a practical standpoint, however, it is very, very easy to homeschool in MN. Nobody is looking over your shoulder there. Plus, MN has a policy of offering full testing and remediation services to homeschoolers as well as public schoolers. There is no discrimination at all. Parents are not required to use ps services, but the schools do offer them. That can be very useful if a child has speech articulation problems, for example.

I think MN gets a bad rap because of specific school districts that have been known to give homeschoolers a bad time. We live in the Mounds View district which made the HSLDA newsletter for sending homeschool families a letter requiring documentation for their files that was not required by MN law. The new homeschool person for the district has been fine to work with although the district still sends a huge packet of paperwork that we basically ignore and send in our own forms provided by the local homeschool association.

I've had no real problems, just a paper drill. I have to turn in a "plan" for the year, that covers a list of stuff the State mandates (which is not the same as what I mandate). They send it back and ask for more info, when the whim strikes them. (When I put Algebra I on it, they wanted to know what it was:D!)

The only pain is "Vermont studies" which has to happen EVERY year. You run out of stuff to cover. (And the local high school doesn't even OFFER it, let alone require it.)

I have three choices for an end of year evaluation: a test (off their list), an evaluation by a Vermont licensed teacher, or a portfolio. I sent them a "portfolio" of copies of dc work with a cover letter and that was it.

However, I've met people who have had their end of year submission rejected numerous times for "more info," even after submitting one of the tests on their approved list!

I think MN gets a bad rap because of specific school districts that have been known to give homeschoolers a bad time. We live in the Mounds View district which made the HSLDA newsletter for sending homeschool families a letter requiring documentation for their files that was not required by MN law. The new homeschool person for the district has been fine to work with although the district still sends a huge packet of paperwork that we basically ignore and send in our own forms provided by the local homeschool association.

I agree. I live in a district that, depending on who is in charge that year, can be "tough." Some of my friends in past years have had to take all their curriculum in to be looked at. They follow the mutually agreed upon place to meet, so they chose to meet at the school district's offices.

Fortunately, the person in charge of homeschooling in my district right now doesn't use that part of the statute where we have to meet.

We do get a letter and form every year that we are told to fill out. It asks for much more than the Minnesota statutes require. I have never used the school district's forms, always opting instead to use MACHE'S form.

I think the huge advantage to homeschooling in Minnesota is we get the break on our income taxes. Last time I checked, we were the only state to allow for educational credits on the state taxes.

Now, I have to be upfront, and point out that I don't really gauge how "easy" it is to homeschool in a state based on whether the requirements are a PITB or not, but rather, on whether I think they extend beyond the boundaries of the State to have a say in how we educate.

So, with that in mind, I'd say Maryland gets a hard-core "D" from me. I wasn't impressed with the way many districts treated the parents who chose the review option, and a number of them opted for a cover just to avoid having that hassle.

Alabama's not much better. It's saved only by the Libertarian covers that are available.

AL sounds awful to me, too. Apparently the umbrellas are very strict, and there simply IS no option to register outside of a church.

This part is mostly true. Alabama does not recognize homeschooling as a legitimate form of education, and one must register with a "state approved religious cover school" - well, W.T.H.??? Not everybody homeschools for religious reasons! Not everybody *wants* a cover, and not everybody feels the need to have that pat on the back from the reviewers. So, in the spirit of the law, AL definitely isn't my happy spot for homeschooling. (OK, ok, rant over.) ANYway...

While some of the approved cover schools behave as if we're all registering b/c we want to (and not b/c we must) and are extremely strict (some even require parents attend meetings and seminars several times a month or the children will be expelled from the program!), there are cover schools in AL that are state-recognized, but that exist solely to provide a legal umbrella under which we homeschoolers can find protection and legal status. Not every cover here takes itself as seriously as some seem to. They follow a "letter of the law" set-up, and manage to do it in a way that provides the utmost autonomy for the parents while still meeting the state mandates. You just have to look around a bit to find them, sometimes. ;) So that does help, imho, make it "easier" to comply with state mandates in AL without compromising on principles or outsourcing the direction/oversight of our homeschool course.

But it still chafes my hide to have homeschooling set up the way it is here. :glare: I think it keeps the homeschoolers divided far too effectively b/c they're more like students in individual private schools, rather than one unified group - it lessens our legislative power, divides our interests, and provides just enough corn and oil to keep the peasants quiet, basically, which was probably the point in the first place.

One thing that is not reflected on that list is possible variation within states. We live in a "restrictive" state, but oversight of homeschoolers is at the district level, not the state level. The whole culture is highly decentralized, even "localist," and that makes all the difference.

For example, most of the homeschoolers in our district are unschoolers, including quite a few who would identify with the label "radical." They are not just going to send in a stack of worksheets in June for their annual report. Yet they have no trouble with the district that I've heard. So while Massachusetts may look restrictive compared to, say, Texas, in practice much of the state is pretty mellow. Everything depends on the local culture and the superintendent. And a superintendent is one person whose office you can go sit in until he or she talks to you about your kids, your education plan, or what have you. It's a face-to-face world here in small-town New England, not the paper-pushing bureaucracy that it appears on paper.

The other thing is that these lists assume that less oversight is categorically better. It's certainly easier for homeschoolers, and I know that there's a strong libertarian streak in the homeschooling world (which I share), but I can also see the argument that the state does have a legitimate interest in assuring that its citizens are educated. I might argue that certain forms of oversight do not in fact assure adequate education, or that the standards the state applies are faulty to begin with, but I don't actually have a beef with the "state interest" argument in and of itself.

When it comes down to it, homeschooling represents only part of our overall quality of life. Sure, if all else were equal, I would prefer a state with fewer regulations; it's one less thing to worry about. But while I would not want to document hours per subject or be forced to register with a cover school, if everything else about a certain state made living there appealing, I wouldn't let "restrictive" homeschooling laws stop me.

We have homeschooled in two states, Missouri and Louisiana. I was very particular about keeping hours in MO. 600 core and 400 non core was the requirement. It was a pain. In Louisiana there are two options. I just send a letter of intent once a year, do 180 days and there is no testing. I find it much easier.

couldn't be easier here. That makes up a tiny bit for the fact that, in terms of services etc. for disabled folks, Illinois now ranks 50th - worst place in the USA to live if you or a loved one have a disability. :-(

Once my son is 21, I think we will need to move to a different state.

The best was being overseas with the military. No oversight, full use of facilities. The worst was Ohio, where you need to send documentation of what you are using to fulfill each subject, and then there is a test at the end of the year. We moved before the test. California was very easy as a private school. There was one time make sure our resume was up to date (not for anyone else's eyes) and then we filled out a school form once a year. New Mexico was very easy too. First we had to test and send it in in certain grades. Then the sending in part went away but I can't remember whether the testing did too. Florida has two options - sending in forms and tests byt certified teachers or portfolio reviews by same or you register in a private school. I don't think it is so great because the testing or portfolio review is a hassle plus you need to keep portfolio for two years. We have now switched to a private school.

New Jersey is pretty good. We are not required to submit anything or even to test. No attendance records or anything. I test annually because I want to not because I have to.

And I am thinking of moving to North Carolina which is a teeny bit more restrictive than New Jersey but I don't mind. The requirement of testing annually in NC I do here in NJ anyway, so it will not be a big deal.

Elmeryl( with J12, C9, R 7, L7)

I'd say that information is very inaccurate about Minnesota. I homeschooled there for years and it was *easy*.

I've schooled in both MN and CO. The rules are quite similar in these states; I don't find either one of them to be particularly difficult. Actually, the legislature and governor's staff seem to be much more homeschooler friendly in MN. I also found it to be a more acceptable practice there, although that could be the difference in my specific locations.

One thing that is not reflected on that list is possible variation within states. We live in a "restrictive" state, but oversight of homeschoolers is at the district level, not the state level. The whole culture is highly decentralized, even "localist," and that makes all the difference.

Everything depends on the local culture and the superintendent. And a superintendent is one person whose office you can go sit in until he or she talks to you about your kids, your education plan, or what have you. It's a face-to-face world here in small-town New England, not the paper-pushing bureaucracy that it appears on paper.

Knowing lots of homeschooling families here in MA, I could not agree more. It really varies by town here. Towns that are more accustomed to homeschoolers or who have major public school issues tend to be very good towns to homeschool in.

Everyone I know agrees that unschoolers paved some of the way for the rest of us here in MA as far as acceptance goes anyways.

I never really had much of this town rivalry stuff back in Ohio, it was a bit of a change to be categorized by what town you live in. Very unique.

Once you get serious about a state, I would Google homeschooling that-state to locate the homeschooling organizations there. Every state has at least one, and most states have several. Most organizations have an information "hot line" you can call, and someone who is knowledgeable will get back to you to answer questions. That would be one way to identify friendly districts in the state.

Oh, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Minnesota. Even in the districts that ask for more information than they are entitled to, it is easy to homeschool there. At worst you might need to bring in your homeschooling materials for them to look over. I heard of unschoolers who rented a truck to transport boxes of newspapers, magazines, and other materials to the school to show what they use. (This was in lieu of making a one to two-page list of materials. The option was theirs.)

How accurate would you say this information is and what would you add or change? Thanks for your help!

I can speak on IN and UT. It seems some of that info is outdated.

IN has basically no restrictions. If your child has never been in their public schools, you need do nothing -- no notification or anything. You are required to teach 180 days a year -- that's it. Legally, you are considered a private school. How much less restrictive can it get? If your child has been in the public schools before, it would probably be prudent to file their notification form just to CYA. Still, that is it, done.

As for UT, the laws changed within the last 5 years, so your 2002 source is definitely outdated. UT is now one of the least restrictive states. You must file an annual notarized affidavit stating that you are homeschooling. That's it, done.

Karen

There were actually three different lists I referenced. Well, the second one was based on the HSLDA site, so it was basically rephrasing the third list. I noticed the second/third list pretty much reiterated the book's list.

I actually appreciated how the book broke down by different categories how each state regulated homeschooling. I guess it was the bird's eye view, and then when I wanted more information about a particular state I could do a little more research on it.

Since this is outdated anyway, I thought it might be useful to see how they broke it down in order to assign each state a grade. You can check out the HSLDA site or the NHEN site to read more about each state's homeschool laws.

ALABAMA - A

Compulsory Ages - 7-16

Notification Requirements - One-time enrollment form to local superintendent.

Parental Qualifications - None

Format - Structure as a "church school" is most flexible, and "church" is not defined by law. Private school and tutoring options are heavily regulated.

Reporting Requirements - Church school must maintain, but not submit, attendance records.

Testing Requirements - None

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - N/A

Subject Requirements - None for church schools; physical education in all other schools.

Access - Local decision, but concerns over "liability" issues make access unlikely.

Other Requirements: None

ALASKA: A+

Compulsory Ages - 7-16

Notification Requirements - None

Format - None. Restrictive options are available ... but why?

Reporting Requirements - None

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - None

Subject Requirements - None

Access - Yes to classes, but restrictions on athletics and extracurricular.

Other Requirements - None

ARIZONA: A

Compulsory Ages - 6-16, or 8-16 with affidavit at 6.

Notification Requirements - One-time affidavit of intent with county school superintendent within 30 days of beginning homeschool.

Format - Homeschool conducted by custodial parent/guardian or instruction provided primarily in the home. Private school is more restrictive.

Subject Requirements - Generic: Reading, grammar, mathematics, social studies, science.

Access - Guaranteed access to interscholastic athletics, but no access to materials. Other decisions are local.

ARKANSAS: C+

Compulsory Ages - 5-17 (may be excused from kindergarten with state-provided form to school district)

Notification Requirements - Annual letter of intent and signed waiver filed with local superintendent. 14-day waiting period for students withdrawing from public school. Further restrictions for students under disciplinary action. First letter must be delivered in person.

Format - None

Testing Requirements - Grades 5, 7, and 10, through school or through one of 15 educational cooperatives.

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - By approval

Access - Free testing available, diplomas available for PS'ing senior year, other access is a local decision

CALIFORNIA: C

Compulsory Ages - 6-18

Notification Requirements - Under School-in-Private-Home option, parent must file annual R-4 affidavit with state superintendent of public instruction. Records become public.

Parental Qualifications - Must be "capable" of teaching. Formal credentialing required under tutor option only.

Format - Most flexible option: Register as a school in a private home. More restrictive or expensive options: Enroll in a public, private, or charter school's independent study program; or have child tutored by a credentialed teacher.

Reporting Requirements - Maintain attendance records, records of course of study for each child, and immunization records or waivers.

Subject Requirements - Generic: Instruction in "the several branches of study required to be taught in the public schools" and in the English language.

Access - Hostile treatment of homeschoolers neutralizes what looks like open access.

COLORADO: D+

Compulsory Ages - 7-16

Notification Requirements - Annual declaration of intent. (First notice must be submited 14 days prior to beginning homeschool. Habitual truants must provide written description of curricula before approval to homeschool.)

Parental Qualifications - None. (Private tutor option requires teacher certification.)

Format - Instruction by parent or adult relative. Alternative formats (enrolling in a private school that allows home instruction, or using a private tutor) are more expensive and/or more restrictive.

Reporting Requirements - Submit annual attendance records, plus test or evaluation results to public school or independent or parochial school. Maintain permanent academic records of attendance, test/evaluation results, and immunization records.

Testing Requirements - Grades 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11. Children scoring at or below 13th percentile must enroll in public/independent parochial school.

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - Submit evaluation by qualified person in lieu of test. Qualification is lax: A certified teacher, a licensed psychologist, a teacher employed by a Colorado private school, or a person with a graduate degree in education.

Subject Requirements - Generic: Reading, writing, speaking, math, history, civics, literature, science, the U.S. Constitution.

Access - Open access to athletics and activities, and diplomas are available, but testing may involve a fee.

Other Requirements - 172 days/year, 4 hours/day.

CONNECTICUT: D

Compulsory Ages - 5-18 (may opt out to age 7 and at age 16 with annual personal appearance and signed declaration)

Notification Requirements - Technically none, but State Department of Education requires annual notice of intent, within 10 days of beginning to homeschool.

Format - None

Reporting Requirements - Include in notice of intent: subjects to be taught, calendar, and method of assessment.

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - Mandatory annual submission of portfolio for evaluation.

Subject Requirements - Generic: Reading, writing, spelling, English, grammar, geography, arithmetic, U.S. history, citizenship (including study of town, state and federal governments).

Access - No access to testing, other decisions are local.

Other Requirements - 180 days/year

DELAWARE: C

Compulsory Ages - 5-16 (may delay start with consent of school)

Notification Requirements - Homeschool organizations must register with the department of education.

Format - Three options: (1) Affiliate with homeschool organization, or (2) establish homeschool to satisfaction of local superintendent and board of education, or (3) report to state DofE as a private school.

Reporting Requirements - Provide annual report of enrollment, student ages, and attendance. Separately, submit annual enrollment form.

Testing Requirements - Testing may be required under option 2, but is not required of private schools.

Subject Requirements - Same as public schools.

Access - No access to testings, athletics available only with more than half-time enrollment. Other decisions are local.

Other Requirements - 180 days/year

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA: B

Compulsory Ages - 5-18 (serious debate contemplates lowering compulsory age)

Notification Requirements - None, unless removing child from public school.

Format - Private instruction not affiliated with educational institution.

Reporting Requirements - Maintain accurate record of attendance.

Access - Free testing, no other access.

Other Requirements - While public schools are in session.

FLORIDA: C-

Compulsory Ages - 6-16

Notification Requirements - One-time minimal notice of intent.

Format - None

Reporting Requirements - Submit portfolio with 15 days' written notice. Maintain portfolio of records and materials (log of texts and sample work sheets) for two years.

Testing Requirements - Annual standardized test administered by certified teacher.

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - In lieu of test, evaluation by certified teacher or licensed psychologist, or by other mutually agreed tool.

Access - FCAT test free, other testing restricted; interscholastic extracurricular access guaranteed; other decisions are local

GEORGIA: D+

Compulsory Ages - 6-16

Notification Requirements - Annual declaration of intent on school-district form within 30 days of beginning, and by Sept. 1 in subsequent years.

Parental Qualifications - Parent: High school diploma. Tutor, if any, must have bachelor's degree.

Format - Own children only.

Reporting Requirements - Monthly attendance forms sent to superintendent. Maintain test results for three years.

Testing Requirements - Nationally standardized tests in grades 3, 6, 9, and 12.

Subject Requirements - Generic: Reading, language arts, mathematics, social studies, science

Other Requirements - 180 days/year; 4/5 hours/day. Children out of home without written "excuse" are subject to arrest by truant officer.

HAWAII: D

Compulsory Ages - 6-18

Notification Requirements - Simple declaration of intent to local school principal. Resubmit at junior high and high school entrance ages.

Parental Qualifications - None (Alternate education program requires bachelor's degree.)

Format - Most flexible operation: Operate a home school. Less flexible option: Superintendent-approved appropriate alternative educational program.

Reporting Requirements - Maintain record of planned, structured curriculum, with complex assessment and bibliographical requirements.

Testing Requirements - School-paid testing in grades 3, 6, 8, and 10.

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - Private testing may be used in the alternative to school-paid testing. Submit mandatory annual progress report, including assessment (test, written evaluation or portfolio).

Subject Requirements - Suggested sequence, not mandated.

Access - Open access to college entrance exams.

IDAHO: A-

Compulsory Ages - 7-16

Format - Child must be "comparably instructed."

Subject Requirements - Same as public schools.

Access - Free testing, access to classes, qualified access to athletics and activities; other decisions are local.

Other Requirements - Same attendance as public schools.

ILLINOIS: A+

Compulsory Ages - 7-16

Format - Private school, no registration.

Subject Requirements - Extensive: Language arts, biological and physical sciences, math, social sciences, fine arts, health and physical development, honesty, justice, kindness, moral courage

Access - Access to classes, restricted access to athletics and activities. Other decisions are local.

Other Requirements - Suggested: 176 days/year.

INDIANA: B

Compulsory Ages - 7-18

Notification Requirements - One-time enrollment report, available online.

Format -Private school, no registration.

Reporting Requirements - Maintain attendance records, which must be submitted upon request.

Subject Requirements - "Equivalent" instruction.

Access - May be a fee for testing, qualified access to classes, concerns over liability issues in athletics and activities.

Other Requirements - 180 days/year.

IOWA: B-

Compulsory Ages - 6-16

Notification Requirements - Annual "Competent Private Instruction Report Form"; 2 copies to local school district by 1st day of school or within 14 days of withdrawal from school.

Parental Qualifications - None (Supervised and tutoring options require teaching license.)

Format - Homeschool parent is most flexible. Alternatives (supervision by licensed teacher, or instruction by private tutor) are more restrictive.

Testing Requirements - Annual standardized test. (No testing requirement for supervised or tutoring options.)

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - In lieu of test, may submit portfolio for review.

Access - Free testing with dual enrollment, but children can dual enroll for anything - even recess. Athletics and activities are guaranteed access. Local decision on diplomas.

Other Requirements - 148 days/year

KANSAS: A-

Compulsory Ages - 7-18

Notification Requirements - Register name and address of school. No approval required.

Parental Qualifications - Competence (Board may not define or evaluate competence.)

Format - Operate as a nonaccredited private school. (Alternatives: Operate as satellite of an accredited private school, or for high school grades, obtain religious exemption from state board of education.)

Subject Requirements - None (alternative forms may require particular subjects).

Access - All decisions are local.

Other Requirements - 186 days/year or 1,116 hours/year; 1,086 hours for senior year.

KENTUCKY: B+

Compulsory Ages - 6-16

Notification Requirements - Annual notice to local school board.

Format - Qualify as a private school. No approval necessary.

Reporting Requirements - Maintain, but do not submit, attendance register and scholarship reports.

Subject Requirements - Generic: Reading, writing, spelling, grammar, history, mathematics, civics

Other Requirements - 185 days/year, or the equivalent of 175 six-hour days.

LOUISIANA: B

Compulsory Ages - 7-17

Notification Requirements - Annual notice of intent to state department of education within 30 days.

Format - Least-restrictive format: Operate as a private school, which requires application and approval. (Alternatively, operate under the more restrictive option of obtaining approval as a homeschool from board of education.)

Reporting Requirements - Annual attendance report. (Under board of education option, must show "satisfactory" evidence of public school equivalency.)

Testing Requirements - None, as private school. (Under board-approval option, testing may be required to show equivalency.)

Subject Requirements - Meets and maintains a sustained curriculum or specialized course of study of quality at least equal to that prescribed for similar public schools, including the Declaration of Independence and the Federalist Papers.

Access - Free testing, but no athletics. Other decisions are local.

Other Requirements - 180 days/year.

MAINE: C+

Compulsory Ages - 7-17

Notification Requirements - Under private school option: Annual notification to state department of education. (Homeschool option requires extensive state-developed 'application' to two offices at least two months prior to start of each homeschool year. Application must be approved by commissioner prior to beginning homeschool program. Denied applications must be resubmitted within deadlines, and are reviewed by state-level advisory board.)

Parental Qualifications - Teacher certification, or designation as "Tutor" with assistance from certified teacher, public school, approved home instruction program, or approved homeschool support group.

Format - Least-restrictive format (operation as a nonapproved private school) requires teaching at least two unrelated students. (Parents who want to teach their own children without affiliating with an organization must obtain approval from the local school board and the commissioner of the state department of education.)

Reporting Requirements - None. (Under homeschool option, annual declaration of intent must include thorough plan of instruction. Maintain extensive records.)

Testing Requirements - None. (Homeschool option requires annual standardized test.)

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - May submit annual academic assessment by certified teacher in lieu of test.

Subject Requirements - Extensive list: English, language arts, math, science, social studies, physical and health education, library skills, fine arts, Maine studies (in one grade between 6 and 12), computer proficiency (one grade between grades 7 and 12).

Access - May be a fee for testing, qualified access to classes, full access to athletics and activities.

Other Requirements - 175 days/year. Special education students subject to additional considerations.

MARYLAND: F

Compulsory Ages - 5-16 (exemption to age 6 available)

Notification Requirements - One-time notice of intent indicating which option family is using (portfolio review or instruction through approved correspondence or church school).

Format - Most flexible - but highly intrusive - option: Establish a qualifying home school. (Other options are less intrusive, but require instruction through a bona fide church school or through state-approved nonpublic school or correspondence course.)

Reporting Requirements - Maintain a portfolio of educational materials, subject to review.

Testing Requirements - None. (Church or correspondence schools may impose testing requirements.)

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - Mandatory portfolio reviews up to three times per year. SofD standard: Superintendent determination that student is not receiving regular, thorough instruction in conformity with regulations. (Not required under church/correspondence school option.)

Subject Requirements - Regulated list: "Regular, thorough instruction" in the same subjects as the public schools, including English, math, science, social studies, art, music, health, physical education. (Under church/correspondence option: Requirements prescribed by program.)

Access - Free testing, possible diploma, other decisions are local.

Other Requirements - "Sufficient duration to implement the instructional program."

MASSACHUSETTS: F

Compulsory Ages - 6-16

Notification Requirements - Make complex application, and obtain advance approval from local school committee or superintendent. Each locality sets its own standards and may require annual notice. Failure to obtain approval obligates child to attend public school.

Parental Qualifications - School committee may examine the competency of the parents to teach their children, but may not require certification, advanced degrees, or college degrees.

Format - None

Reporting Requirements - The school committee must have access to textbooks and lesson plans, but "only to determine the types of subjects to be taught and the grade level of the instruction for comparison purposes with the curriculum of the public schools." Neither the school committee nor the superintendent may dictate "the manner in which the subjects will be taught."

Testing Requirements - Annual standardized test administered by a "neutral party."

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - In lieu of testing, submit an annual "progress report" or a home visit. Parent chooses method of assessment. Requirements for progress report vary from district to district.

Subject Requirements - Extensive: Reading, writing, English language and grammar, geography, arithmetic, drawing, music, history, U.S. constitution, citizenship, health (including CPR), physical education, good behavior.

Other Requirements - Committee may inquire about number of hours and days. (Public schools require 180 days/year, 900 hours/year at elementary level and 990 hours/year at secondary level.)

MICHIGAN: A+

Compulsory Ages - 6-16

Format - Organized educational program, no registration. (A more restrictive "non-public school" option is available, but it confers no advantages.)

Subject Requirements - Generic: Reading, spelling, math, science, history, civics, literature, writing, English grammar.

Access - Free testing; limited access to classes; other decisions are local.

MINNESOTA: F

Compulsory Ages - 7-16

Notification Requirements - Annual notification to local superintendent, by October 1.

Parental Qualifications - Teaching license in field and grade taught, passing score on teaching competency exam, or direct supervision by licensed teacher to avoid additional testing requirements. Bachelor's degree or instruction under approved umbrella school to avoid quarterly achievement reports. If none of the above are met, then family is subject to additional testing and reporting requirements.

Format - None

Reporting Requirements - 1. Include with notification of intent proof of compliance with parental qualification requirements. 2. If parent doesn't meet one of the teacher qualification exemptions, the family must also submit quarterly achievement reports. 3. Undergo either an annual home visit from superintendent, or refuse home visit and submit, in lieu of visit, documentation (class schedules, copies of materials used for instruction, and description of method used to assess student achievement indicating that the subjects required are being taught) that demonstrates compliance with the law.

Testing Requirements - Annual nationally norm-referenced standardized achievement examination. Children who score below the 30th percentile, or who score a full grade below children of the same age must undergo an evaluation for learning problems.

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - Parents who don't meet teaching qualifications must additionally assess their children in subject areas not covered by the test.

Subject Requirements - Extensive: Reading, writing, literature, fine arts, math, science, history, geography, government, health, physical education.

Access - Fee for testing; access to classes; no access to daytime activities; other decisions local.

MISSISSIPPI: B+

Compulsory Ages - 6-17

Notification Requirements - Annual "certificate card" to school attendance officer. No waiting period.

Format - None

Reporting Requirements - Include with "certificate card" a simple description of the type of education children are receiving.

Access - No access to anything.

Other Requirements - Whatever "number of days that each [home] school shall require for promotion from grade to grade."

MISSOURI: C+

Compulsory Ages - 7-16

Notification Requirements - None required. Law contains implied threat of investigation unless parents submit notice of intent within 30 days of establishment and on Sept. 1 each year thereafter.

Format - No more than four children are unrelated, and no receipt of fees, tuition, or other renumeration.

Reporting Requirements - Maintain logbook of subjects taught and activities engaged in, portfolio of child's academic progress; or other written, credible evidence equivalent to above. Submission of logbook is a defense to charges of educational neglect.

Subject Requirements - Generic: Reading, math, social studies, language arts, science.

Access - Fee for testing, qualified access to classes, no materials access, regulated access to athletics and activities.

Other Requirements - 1,000 hours/year; at least 600 hours in the five required subjects; 400 of these 600 hours must occur at "the regular homeschool location."

MONTANA: B

Compulsory Ages - 7-16 (or completion of eighth grade, if later)

Notification Requirements - Annual notice of intent filed with the county superintendent.

Format - None

Reporting Requirements - Maintain attendance and immunization records; must be available for inspection by county superintendent upon request.

Subject Requirements - Same "basic instructional program" as the public schools.

Access - Free testing, other decisions are local.

Other Requirements - 180 days/ year, 4 hours/day for grades 1-3 and 6 hours/day for grades 4-12

NEBRASKA: C-

Compulsory Ages - 7-16

Notification Requirements - One-time notice of intent to homeschool, 30 days in advance of starting. Annual statement of exception based on religious beliefs or interference with parental decisions.

Parental Qualifications - None for parents; hired tutor must meet unspecified qualifications.

Format - Private school, no registration.

Reporting Requirements - Birth certificate for first year. Annual proof that home meets health, fire, and safety standards; that child has met attendance requirements; that program meets educational standards. Annual statement that parents believe individuals monitoring program are qualified.

Testing Requirements - None enforced, though law gives board of education a testing and visitation option.

Subject Requirements - Generic: Language arts, math, science, social studies, health.

Access - No athletics, other decisions are local.

Other Requirements - Elementary: 1,032 hours/year; secondary: 1,080 hours/year. Compliance with immunization requirements.

NEVADA: C-

Compulsory Ages - 7-17

Notification Requirements - Annual request for exemption.

Parental Qualifications - Teacher certification, or use of approved correspondence course, or consultation with licensed teacher or three-year homeschooling veteran, or waiver. Qualification requirements waived if child makes "reasonable educational progress in his educational plan" for one year.

Format - None

Reporting Requirements - Include with request for exemption: Written evidence of teacher qualifications; educational plan including learning goals, teaching methods, and a description of the instructional materials; calendar; typical weekly instructional schedule; birth certificate or other proof of identity.

Testing Requirements - None (as of Sept. 1997)

Subject Requirements - Equivalent instruction of the kind and amount approved by the state board of education, including U.S. and Nevada constitutions

Access - Free testing, qualified access to classes, no athletics, but activities are open. Other decisions are local.

Other Requirements - 180 days/year; grades 1 and 2: 240 minutes/day; grades 3-6: 300 minutes/day; grades 7-12:330 minutes/day.

NEW HAMPSHIRE: F

Compulsory Ages - 6-16

Notification Requirements - One-time notice of intent filed with private school principal, the state commissioner of education, or the local superintendent within 30 days of withdrawing from public school.

Format - Planned and supervised instructional and related educational activities, including a curriculum and instruction. May instruct own children only by agreement of educational authorities.

Reporting Requirements - Include with notice of intent list of the subjects to be taught, along with name of an established correspondence school or commercial curriculum provider, if any; table of contents or other material that outlines the scope of and instructional sequence for each subject, and a list of textbooks or other instructional materials used. Maintain, for two years after instruction, a portfolio of records and materials, including a log of reading materials used, samples of writings, worksheets, workbooks, or creative materials used or developed by the child.

Testing Requirements - Annual standardized test or state student assessment test with SofD cutoff of 40 percent. Results are submitted to state.

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - In lieu of test, submit annual academic assessment by certified teacher or other agreeable means.

Subject Requirements - Extensive: Science, math, language, government, history, health, reading, writing, spelling, constitutional history of New Hampshire and the United States, art and music appreciation.

Access - Free testing, other decisions are local.

NEW JERSEY: A

Compulsory Ages - 6-16

Format - Child must receive "equivalent" instruction, which means academic, and not social, education. Burden is on state to demonstrate that education is not equivalent, and unless there is compelling evidence that a child is receiving no education at all, the state doesn't interfere.

Testing Requirements - None. No testing available through the public schools.

Subject Requirements - No oversight, so generic list is, essentially, only a recommendation: U.S. and NJ history, citizenship, civics, geography, safety, physical education. Also recommended, but not required: sexual assault prevention, health.

Access - Local decisions on everything.

NEW MEXICO: C

Compulsory Ages - 5-18

Notification Requirements - Annual notarized state-developed form within 30 days of starting, and by April 1 of each subsequent year. No approval requirement.

Parental Qualifications - GED or high school diploma

Format - None

Reporting Requirements - Include with declaration of intent annual calendar of instructional days, immunization records, or statement of religious/conscientious objection.

Testing Requirements - None (new law)

Subject Requirements - Generic: Reading, language arts, math, social studies, science

Access - Possible fee for testing, no athletics, restricted access to activities, other decisions are local.

Other Requirements - Same attendance as public schools.

NEW YORK: F

Compulsory Ages - 6-17 (Birthdays determine, not ages. Maximum: 5.75-17.99)

Notification Requirements - Annual notice of intent to homeschool by July 1 or within 14 days of starting homeschool.

Format - School at home or in building that meets building codes.

Reporting Requirements - Submit complex annual individualized home instruction plan, subject to review and approval by superintendent of schools. Also submit quarterly reports of hours of instruction, description of material covered, grades or written narrative of progress, written explanation of any failure to comply with plan. Failure to submit adequate plan of instruction obligates child to attend public or authorized private school. Maintain attendance records; submit to school district upon request.

Testing Requirements - Submit annual commercially published norm-referenced achievement tests, administered at school or at home by certified teacher, by consent of superintendent. Sword of Damocles mark: 33 percent.

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - Alternative to mandatory testing: In grades 1-4, 6, 8: Written narrative evaluation by certified teacher based on portfolio and interviews. Parent-pay, and by consent of superintendent.

Subject Requirements - Extremely detailed, complex scope and sequence set forth by state.

Access - Free testing, no athletics, other decisions are local.

Other Requirements - 180 days/year, with 5 (grades 1-6) or 5.5 (upper grades) hours of instruction per day.

NORTH CAROLINA: B+

Compulsory Ages - 7-16

Notification Requirements - One-time notice of intent with name of school, name of administrator submitted to state division of nonpublic education.

Parental Qualifications - GED or high school diploma

Format - None

Reporting Requirements - Maintain attendance and immunization records.

Testing Requirements - Annual standardized test covering English grammar, reading, spelling, and mathematics. Results may be inspected by state, but need not be submitted.

Access - Restricted access to classes, no competitive athletics or activities, other decisions are local.

Other Requirements - Nine calendar months/year.

NORTH DAKOTA: F

Compulsory Ages - 7-16

Notification Requirements - Annual notarized statement of intent on state-developed form, 30 days/14 days (?) prior to start of public school term. Additional requirements for autistic children.

Parental Qualifications - Bachelor's degree, teacher certification, pass National Teachers' Exam, or high school diploma with weekly monitoring and biannual submission of reports by certified teacher.

Format - For high school diplomaed parents, monitoring must continue until child scores above 50th percentile for two consecutive years.

Reporting Requirements - Include with declaration of intent proof of identity and immunizations, and a list of planned public school courses or extracurricular activities. Maintain an annual record of courses taken by each student, including copies of academic progress assessments and results of nationally standardized achievement tests.

Testing Requirements - Grades 4, 6, 8, and 10. Professional assessment and plan for remediation for scores below 30th percentile.

Subject Requirements - Extensive: English, language arts, including reading, composition, creative writing, English grammar, spelling; mathematics; social studies, including U.S. Constitution and U.S. history; government; science, including agriculture; physical education; health, including physiology, hygiene, disease control, the nature and effects of alcohol, tobacco, and narcotics.

Access - Free testing, access to classes, athletics, activities, diplomas.

Other Requirements - 175 days/year, 4 hours/day.

OHIO: D-

Compulsory Ages - 6-18

Notification Requirements - Annual notice of intent to homeschool.

Parental Qualifications - GED or high school diploma, or assurance that parent is working under supervision of person with Baccalaureate degree.

Format - None

Reporting Requirements - Outline of curriculum and textbooks attached to notice of intent, for informational purposes only.

Testing Requirements - Annual standardized test, with results sent to superintendent.

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - Alternative to testing: Submit annual written narrative indicating that a portfolio of child's work has been reviewed by certified teacher.

Subject Requirements - Extensive: Language arts, geography, U.S. and Ohio history, government, math, health, physical education, fine arts, first aid, science.

Access - Free testing; restricted access to athletics; other decisions are local.

Other Requirements - 900 hours/year.

OKLAHOMA: B

Compulsory Ages - 5-18

Parental Qualifications - GED or high school diploma, or assurance that parent is working under supervision of person with Baccalaureate degree.

Format - Education in "good faith."

Subject Requirements - Generic: Reading, writing, math, science, U.S. and Oklahoma citizenship.

Access - No access to anything.

Other Requirements - 175 days of instruction per year.

OREGON: C-

Compulsory Ages - 7-18

Notification Requirements - One-time notice to education service district; annual notice if child is participating in public-school activities.

Format - None

Testing Requirements - Parent-pay testing in grades 3, 5, 8, and 10, plus 18 months following withdrawal from public school. SofD cutoff: Failure to achieve "satisfactory" test results.

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - Restrictive additional requirements for handicapped children, giving districts the power to order children into public school for failure to make satisfactory progress.

Access - Qualified access to athletics and activities; other decisions are local.

PENNSYLVANIA: F

Compulsory Ages - 8-17

Notification Requirements - Annual notarized declaration of intent registered with local school district.

Parental Qualifications - Affidavit of high school education (Extension alternative has no requirement.)

Format - Homeschool program is least expensive, most independent option. (Other choices - hire a certified private tutor or operate as an extension of a private school - are more expensive.)

Reporting Requirements - Annual declaration of intent must include outline of the educational objectives arranged by subject matter, evidence of immunization, evidence of receipt of "appropriate" medical services.

Testing Requirements - Grades 3, 5, and 8.

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - Mandatory annual assessment by certified teacher/psychologists. Portfolio, interviews with children. Subject to review of superintendent.

Subject Requirements - Extensive. Elementary: English, including spelling, reading, writing; arithmetic; science; geography; U.S. and Pennsylvania history; civics; safety education, including continuous instruction in the dangers and prevention of fires; health and physiology; physical education; music; art. Secondary: English, including language, literature, speech, composition; science; geography; social studies, including civics, world history, U.S. and Pennsylvania history; math, including general mathematics, algebra, geometry; art; music; physical education; health and safety education, including regular and continuous instruction in the dangers and prevention of fires. Such courses of study may include, at the discretion of the supervisor of the home education program, economics; biology; chemistry; foreign languages; trigonometry; or other age-appropriate courses as contained in chapter 5 (Curriculum Requirements) of the State Board of Education.

Access - Free testing, diplomas with college credit, other decisions are local.

Other Requirements - ?

RHODE ISLAND: D-

Compulsory Ages - 6-16

Notification Requirements - Must obtain approval by the school committee of the town wherein the child resides.

Parental Qualifications - None, but local school board has authority to make demands.

Format - As defined by local school boards.

Reporting Requirements - Submit an attendance register.

Testing Requirements - Local school officials may require testing or other evaluation.

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - At the discretion of local school board.

Subject Requirements - Extensive: Reading, writing, geography, math, U.S. history, history of Rhode Island, the principles of American government. Shall be taught in the English language. Constitution and government of Rhode Island and of the United States. Health and physical education.

Access - Free testing, guaranteed access to materials, restricted access to athletics, other decisions are local but access is "encouraged."

Other Requirements - Attendance "substantially equal" to public schools.

SOUTH CAROLINA: C

Compulsory Ages - 5-17 (may be excused from kindergarten with written notice to school district)

Parental Qualifications - High school diploma or GED

Format - Least-hassle alternative: Join an association for homeschools that has at least 50 members. Other options (going through local school district or through the South Carolina Association of Independent Home Schools) have more requirements and/or higher cost.

Reporting Requirements - Each association must annually report number and grade level of members to local school districts. Maintain evidence of regular instruction, including a plan book, diary, or other record indicating subjects taught and activities in which the student and parent-teacher engage; a portfolio of samples of the student's academic work; and a semi-annual progress report including attendance records and individualized documentation of the student's academic progress in each of the basic instructional areas.

Testing Requirements - None. (Local school option requires annual Basic Skills Assessment Program.)

Subject Requirements - Generic: Reading, writing, math, science, social studies; also composition and literature in grades 7-12.

Access - Possible fee for testing, no athletics or activities, other decisions are local.

Other Requirements - 180 days/ year. (Local school board option also requires 4 1/2 hours/day.)

SOUTH DAKOTA: D-

Compulsory Ages - 6-16 (children under 7 can be excused)

Notification Requirements - Annual notarized application for excuse, using a state-provided form.

Format - Non individual may instruct more than 22 children. Secretary of the Department of Education and Cultural Affairs may investigate and determine whether the instruction is being provided. Failure to provide instruction is grounds for the school board, upon 30 days notice, to revoke the excuse from school attendance.

Reporting Requirements - Submit birth certificate. Maintain attendance and evidence showing academic progress, which are a defense against assertions of educational neglect.

Testing Requirements - Grades 2, 4, 8, and 11. SofD cut-off: "Less than satisfactory" academic progress.

Subject Requirements - Generic: Basic skills of language arts and math. All instructions shall be given so as to lead to a mastery of the English language.

Access - Free testing, guaranteed access to materials, no high school athletics or competitive activities, other decisions are local.

Other Requirements - Equivalent period of time as in the public schools.

TENNESSEE: F

Compulsory Ages - 6-17

Notification Requirements - Annual registration with local education authority by August 1 or be subject to fine. Students affiliated with church school need not register annually until high school.

Parental Qualifications - Bachelor's degree required to teach high school-aged students; high school diploma for lower grades. Parents whose children are affiliated with a church school need only a high school diploma.

Format - Register with LEA, or affiliate with a church school, most of which are pricey and require families to sign a statement of adherence to a particular religious faith.

Reporting Requirements - Submit proof of vaccinations and of receipts of other health services required by law.

Testing Requirements - Grades 5, 7, and 9, 10, 11, 12. SofD testing level in upper grades: Less than one year behind grade level/average.

Subject Requirements - Strict curriculum requirements for high school-aged children. Church school-affiliated children are exempted.

Other Requirements - 4 hours/day for same number of days as required for public schools. Church school-affiliated high school students must register with LEA.

TEXAS: A-

Compulsory Ages - 6-17

Format - Operate a bona fide homeschool, which is considered a home-school.

Subject Requirements - Generic: Written curriculum from any source, covering reading, spelling, grammar, math, good citizenship.

Other Requirements - Cooperate with any reasonable inquiry from an attendance officer.

UTAH: B+

Compulsory Ages - 6-18

Notification Requirements - Annual request for home exemption.

Parental Qualifications - Unenforced possibility that school board can consider basic educative ability of parent in granting request to homeschool.

Format - None

Subject Requirements - Generic: Language arts, math, science, social studies, art, health, computer literacy, vocational education.

Other Requirements - 180 days/ year, 5 1/2 hours/day (4 1/2 for 1st grade; 2 1/2 for kindergarten).

VERMONT: D

Compulsory Ages - 7-16

Notification Requirements - Annual enrollment notice on state-provided form. Submission to approval from commissioner.

Format - May teach children residing in own home, plus maximum of two children from one additional family.

Reporting Requirements - Annual enrollment notice must include outline of course of study, along with assessment of handicap for each child not previously enrolled in school.

Testing Requirements - Submit annual standardized test results.

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - Submit annual assessment by certified or approved teacher, report and portfolio from commercial curriculum provider, or report prepared by parents along with portfolio of child's work.

Subject Requirements - Generic: Reading, English, science, math, social studies (citizenship, history, U.S. and VT government), physical education, health, fine arts.

Access - Free testing, access to classes, qualified access to athletics and activities; other decisions are local.

Other Requirements - 175 days/year. Special education students subject to additional considerations.

VIRGINIA: F

Compulsory Ages - 5-18 (may be delayed one year if parent believes child is not mentally, physically, or emotionally prepared to attend school)

Notification Requirements - Annual notice of intent. (Religious exemption permits a one-time notice of intent.)

Parental Qualifications - Bachelor's degree, or Board-qualified teacher, or have student enrollment in approved correspondence course or in division superintendent-approved study. (Must meet state learning objectives, and prove that parent is able to provide "adequate education.") No requirements under religious exemption; parent or teacher under private tutor exemption must hold teacher certification.

Format - Standard homeschool option applies to all except for observants of particular religious faiths and those using hired tutors.

Reporting Requirements - Annual notice of intent must include description of the curriculum and documentary evidence of compliance with parental qualification standards. Upon request by division superintendent, submit immunization records or affidavit of exemption on religious or medical grounds. (Religious exemption format requires extensive documentary evidence proving sincere belief in a religious faith that has a bona fide opposition to public schools; affidavit form religious expert concurring with parents' opposition, and letters from other acquaintances vouching for sincerity of belief.)

Testing Requirements - Annual test with SofD score above the 40th percentile.

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - Submit annual assessment indicating to satisfaction of division superintendent that child is achieving adequate level of education progress.

Subject Requirements - Generic: Curriculum or program of study that includes the state's Standards of Learning for math and language arts.

Access - No athletics or activities, other decisions are local.

Other Requirements - 180 days/ year.

WASHINGTON: B-

Compulsory Ages - 8-18

Notification Requirements - Annual declaration of intent, using state-developed form. File by Sept. 15.

Parental Qualifications - Complete 45 hours of college credit or college level course in home education; or obtain approval from local school superintendent; or undergo weekly supervision from certified teacher.

Format - May teach own children only.

Reporting Requirements - Maintain records of test scores or annual academic progress assessments, immunization records, other records relating to instructional and educational activities. No requirement to submit records unless student returns to public school.

Testing Requirements - Annual standardized test administered by qualified person. Not submitted.

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - Annual academic assessment by certified teacher in lieu of test. Not submitted.

Access - Access to testing, classes, athletics, activities. Other decisions are local.

WEST VIRGINIA: D-

Compulsory Ages - 6-16

Notification Requirements - One-time notice of intent filed with county board of education at least two weeks prior to withdrawal from public school.

Parental Qualifications - High school diploma and at least four years' more instruction than most academically advanced child. (Four-year rule waived until June 2003.) (Board-approval option requires that parent "Be deemed qualified" by local educational authorities."

Format - Establish a homeschool. (Alternative format, obtaining board approval, has entirely subjective requirements. Second alternative allows a group of homeschools to organize as a single alternative school subject to a different set of requirements.)

Testing Requirements - By June 20, annual standardized test administered by school or county-authorized person, not parent. If scores fall below 40th percentile for three consecutive years, student must enroll in public/private school.

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - In lieu of test, submit annual academic assessment by certified teacher or other agreeable means.

Subject Requirements - Generic: English, grammar, reading, social studies, math.

Access - Free testing, no athletics or activities, other decisions are local.

Other Requirements - None (approval option requires 180 days).

WISCONSIN: B-

Compulsory Ages - 6-18

Notification Requirements - Annual affidavit on a specific government form to Department of Public Instruction by October 15. Call 1-888-245-2732, ext. 1, and request form Pl-1206. Form must be received prior to withdrawal from public school.

Format - One family unit only.

Subject Requirements - Generic: Sequentially progressive curriculum of fundamental instruction in math, reading, language arts, social studies, science, health.

Access - Possible fee for testing, qualified access to classes and athletics, other decisions are local.

Other Requirements - 875 hours of instruction per year, during same hours as local public schools.

WYOMING: A

Compulsory Ages - 7-16

Notification Requirements - Annual submission of curriculum to local board to demonstrate compliance.

Format - One family unit only.

Subject Requirements - Generic: Sequentially progressive curriculum of fundamental instruction in reading, writing, mathematics, civics, history, literature, science. Exemptions for religious objections.

Access - Free testing, access to classes, may be a fee for athletics and activities.

Other Requirements - 175 days/year.

I do my own testing and yearly written evaluations of my children and I am not a certified teacher.Some districts do require certified teachers but not many.We are required to cover a certain number of hours/year,not per day.Our scope and sequence isn't all that detailed or complex.For example,I am required to teach spelling,writing,reading,arithmetic,geography and history,science,health,music,visual arts,and PE to my 1st-6th graders.(No mention at all of grammar!).

WEST VIRGINIA: D-

Compulsory Ages - 6-16

Notification Requirements - One-time notice of intent filed with county board of education at least two weeks prior to withdrawal from public school.

Parental Qualifications - High school diploma and at least four years' more instruction than most academically advanced child. (Four-year rule waived until June 2003.) (Board-approval option requires that parent "Be deemed qualified" by local educational authorities."

Format - Establish a homeschool. (Alternative format, obtaining board approval, has entirely subjective requirements. Second alternative allows a group of homeschools to organize as a single alternative school subject to a different set of requirements.)

Testing Requirements - By June 20, annual standardized test administered by school or county-authorized person, not parent. If scores fall below 40th percentile for three consecutive years, student must enroll in public/private school.

Subject Requirements - Generic: English, grammar, reading, social studies, math.

Access - Free testing, no athletics or activities, other decisions are local.

Other Requirements - None (approval option requires 180 days).

This is still outdated, and some it was never accurate, to my knowledge.

--The "four-years more" requirement is no more. A parent needs only a high school diploma or the equivalent.

--There is a notification. A yearly NOI must be sent in to the county school board, NOT only for students withdrawn from public school. The NOI must include the name, age, grade level and address of the child(ren), proof of diploma or GED, and an outline of the plan of instruction for each child.

--Evaluation results must be submitted yearly by June 30. There are three options for evaluation:

A nationally normed standardized test that covers: reading, language, social studies, science, math that was administered according to the test publisher's guidelines, may NOT have been administered by a parent or guardian, and must have been published w/in the past 10 years. Mean percentile score must be over 50%. (If it's not, a "remedial program" must be put in place by parents over the following year. There are steps spelled out from there, eventually potentially escalating to "gotta go to school!") The state's own WESTEST is also acceptable, but only available to certain grades.

A review of the child's portfolio by a certified teacher. The teacher provides a narrative which documents the child's progress, specifically in reading, language, social studies, science and math, and notes areas of improvement needed.

An "alternate assessment" which is agreed upon by the county.

--Free tests in the grades that are tested in public schools. Textbooks are available *if* there are enough after they've been distributed to schools. (I've heard reports that this varies quite a bit from county to county. Some counties feel they're required to provide them, others don't.) Athletics are now *absolutely* out, thanks to a WV Supreme Ct decision. Some activities are accessible, depends on the county. Some offer to hs'd students that are enrolled half time, some not at all, some will only offer academic classes, some won't offer anything to anyone that's not a full time student.

I don't find West Virginia a difficult state in which to homeschool. I do object to the intrusion and the level of oversight, but in practice, it's not "hard" to comply. I'd give it a solid C, I s'pose.

I LOVE Texas!!!

I homeschooled in NY, so I agree that "restrictive" doesn't necessarily equal "tough" or "hard".

But the more hoops you gotta jump through, the more restrictive the state is.

i do appreciate that i don't have to fill out forms, arrange for testing, keep track of grades or hours, send in reports, or meet someone's requirements that i am "certified" to teach my own kid.

and yeah-- I'm w/ Plaid Dad on agreeing that the state has a vested interest in the education of its citizens.

but when even daily oversight by professionals doesn't significantly increase the guarantee of the supposed desired outcome [in public school], I see absolutely no way that ANY technical oversight on anything less than a daily basis by the state can do what regulations "should."

And if i had to leave wonderful Texas, and had a choice WHERE to move within a state, then i would email the homeschool groups in that state and ask for districts that had reputations of being either helpful, lenient, or really intrusive. And pick the warmest of the best :D

Darn, I was really hoping someone would jump in and share an "It's as easy as pie to homeschool in Nevada" story. We put in for New Mexico and Nevada, and now I'm wondering if we shouldn't have put in for Nevada. :scared: Maybe I should start a new thread asking about Nevada?

And, just in case you were wondering, I had to post that long list in separate posts because there's a limit to how much you can post at one time. I can't remember if it's 10,000 or what. Didn't want anyone thinking I was trying to inflate my numbers.

Thanks for all your replies. It's good to know that it's not as scary to homeschool as it seems in many states.

WASHINGTON: B-

Compulsory Ages - 8-18

Notification Requirements - Annual declaration of intent, using state-developed form. File by Sept. 15.

Parental Qualifications - Complete 45 hours of college credit or college level course in home education; or obtain approval from local school superintendent; or undergo weekly supervision from certified teacher.

Format - May teach own children only.

Reporting Requirements - Maintain records of test scores or annual academic progress assessments, immunization records, other records relating to instructional and educational activities. No requirement to submit records unless student returns to public school.

Testing Requirements - Annual standardized test administered by qualified person. Not submitted.

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - Annual academic assessment by certified teacher in lieu of test. Not submitted.

Access - Access to testing, classes, athletics, activities. Other decisions are local.

Parental Qualifications: add this option--Attend a Parent Qualifying Course.

There are Subject requirements--The 11 required subjects are reading, writing, spelling, language, math, science, social studies, history, health, occupational education, and art and music appreciation. They do not have to be taught separately.

I would just add that I have had no problems in our school district.

• 3 months later...

But it actually is a very easy state to school from home. There is no legal homeschooling - the easiest/ best option is filling out a single page form once a year to be submitted online. It does NOT ask for curriculum, materials, etc. There are NO requirements for number of days or hours required. There are NO requirements for a private school to have credentialed teachers. I do not have any contact with the local district nor the county department of education. No one tells me what I should, can or can't do beyond "the several areas of study." Oh yeah, and that they should have 200 minutes of p.e. for every 10 school days.

IMO there are so many independent schoolers in a geographically large space that there is simply nothing set up in the system to check in on the thousands of us who e-file our little "Yes we have a private school" papers. The only way you are going to get in trouble here is if you are doing something that calls attention... as in, abusing your child so she/ he calls social services, as in the recent court case.

I've homeschooled in two states and in overseas. Overseas in the military was definitely the easiest as noted by someone else.

North Carolina was pretty easy-all you had to do was send in a LOI (once) to the Department of Non-Public Education and test every year. Testing is a pain but it's not terrible.

Here in Hawaii we have to send a LOI to the school that the child would be attending if they were in public school. The school that I report to doesn't seem to really care. They sent my LOI back to me with a red approved stamp and I've had no further communication from them. I sent them my end of year report but I haven't heard back from them about that. Other schools seem to be quite strict. For example, trying to demand a curriculum plan before they will approve the LOI even though that isn't required by law.

Now I live in NY. And while the regulations appear to be dreadful, they really are not that bad. It is a little more "busy work", but otherwise it really isn't anything I would consider in the realm of restrictive. The only unfortunate aspect to the regs in NY is that individual districts are pains in the neck and interpret the regs the way they want to and make things difficult for some people. But the majority of the districts don't hardly blink at you.

This is my experience WRT NY also. I know someone who never turned in an IHIP last year, and NO ONE NOTICED. I also know someone who was asked by the school district personnel, without irony, to explain the law to them. So far, my district's only misdeed was to agree to run the Woodcock-Johnson on my oldest, saying it would be good practice for their school counselor interns, only to sort of lose my number. I'm less than thrilled, but worse things have happened. I've gotten no commentary on any IHIP or quarterly report. Also, I'm not sure what happened with the big foot stomping that was going on about not providing special services for homeschoolers, but I just got a letter from the district indicating that the state has done a complete 180 on that issue. My little village alone apparently has 20 hs families! Go figure!

For those not sheltered by a church cover school, Tennessee does have some harsh laws.

They are one of the very few states that has law that state can force a child back into traditional public or private schooling if child scores below a certain level on standardized testing a certain number of times.

Additionally, parent must have a BA/BS to teach grades 9-12.

Other than those stipulations, being an independent homeschooler in TN is relatively easy. The TN Code Annotated severely restricts the state's involvement in an independent homeschool. State does not have authority to inspect, approve, or reject curriculum.

Also, they are in process of revamping testing requirements, so ultimately the independent homeschoolers can be expected to be subject to more than just the 5th and 7th grade TCAP's.

I've made changes becaaue the the Georgia stuff is way off. It's really easy to homeschool here. Our requirements are beyond silly. I prepare all my "attendance" reports in advance and just mail them in once a month. And I test at home. No big deal. They don't want to know what books I use. They don't want to know how my kids are doing....just that they are "in" school.

GEORGIA: D+ (Well the schools here rate a D+ so they might be confused.)

Compulsory Ages - 6-16 Technically 18 if you want a drivers license.

Notification Requirements - Annual declaration of intent on school-district form within 30 days of beginning, and by Sept. 1 in subsequent years. It's a letter. That's all. We don't use the school form.

Parental Qualifications - Parent: High school diploma. Tutor, if any, must have bachelor's degree. No degree needed for tutors. That's the old law.

Format - Own children only. Nope...your family only. Grandparents can homeschool. Anyone can tutor. I tutored my nephew full time.

Reporting Requirements - Monthly attendance forms sent to superintendent. Maintain test results for three years. This is the stupid part. Who is absent from Homeschool?

Testing Requirements - Nationally standardized tests in grades 3, 6, 9, and 12. Testing every three years starting in 3rd grade. So if you homeschool starting in 4th grade, you don't have to test until 7th grade. You keep these results. The county never sees them.

Other Assessments Required/Accepted - N/A You can use any standardized test. If the test allows you to adminster it, you can. I test my own children. Only I see the results.

Subject Requirements - Generic: Reading, language arts, mathematics, social studies, science

Access - No access to testing, other decisions are local. My county provides speech therapy for homeschool students.

Other Requirements - 180 days/year; 4/5 hours/day. Children out of home without written "excuse" are subject to arrest by truant officer.

I've never heard of anyone being arrested. That's not in my letter from the county. And it is the equivalent 180 days and 4.5 hours per year. No one sends hours. You just mark your days.

My kids play outside during school hours. No one has ever said squat to tehm. I once got a terse letter from the county when I was 3 months late with my silly attendance reports. But that was earned.

Washington State is VERY easy to homeschool in! How on earth did it get a B- and and a most restrictive rating???? That's crazy, and wrong!

The Letter of Intent form I have to fill out is simple: All I do is fill out the names of my children, their birth date and what grade they will be in, and sign the form. That's it. I do a yearly ITBS test. I get PLENTY of subjects and hours, as do most homeschoolers. We don't have to have an evaluator or portfolio. This area is very homeschool friendly! I actually LIKE the yearly tests, so even if I lived in Texas I couldn't have it much, if any, easier than I have it here!

I give an F to whoever rated the states! ;)