Menu

dd4 REALLY constipated from penicillin - help!

DD4 was diagnosed with strep throat last Saturday, and is on day 6 of her 10 day penicillin course, and is really, really constipated. Our abnormal eating habits aren't helping matters*. I've been pushing the yogurt (good yogurt), fresh fruit and veggies, but she just doesn't want ANYTHING to eat. Now her tummy hurts quite a bit. She does not have a fever, and she is passing urine fine. She is not dehydrated. I have her on Miralax (per her doctor).

*To compound matters, we are in the process of moving and are living in a hotel-suite right now, and there are no cooking facilities; there is a microwave and a tiny fridge. I'm at the mercy of the grocery store and horrible chain restaurants right now.

I know that more food isn't the answer, as it will just add to the bulk. She is drinking TONS of water, eating popsicles, perhaps a few grapes. I think she feels miserable.

Any other suggestions????

Did the doc give you an upper limit on the miralax? My son needed 2X the amount they normally start a 2 yr old on to help him. We also gave him probiotics, because his doc said there is not enough in yogurt to help. Sorry, I don't know what else to tell you other than go to the minor emergency or the ER if the pain gets bad, because constipation can be bad if prolonged.

Hopefully she feels better soon.

Hot liquid helps me sometimes. I do hot tea, but hot cocoa would work, or hot water with lemon, etc.

When DD was a baby, I had to mix Karo syrup into her bottles occasionally when the juice wasn't doing enough. I'm not sure if it would work for an older child, or how you would get it into an older child (maybe warm milk?) but, it worked for DD.

Warm bath.

Suppository? I haven't had to do one for DD yet, but have been close.

I hope she finds some relief. I know how horrible that is, both as the victim and as the mommy!!! :grouphug:

Prunes, prune juice, dates, warm water to drink.

A nice long warm bath to relax.

You could try a remedy from the pharmacy. I am not sure what they have there but senakot granules have worked well for my DD when she was small and was having severe problems. Recommended by our pead at the time.

Did the doc give you an upper limit on the miralax? My son needed 2X the amount they normally start a 2 yr old on to help him. We also gave him probiotics, because his doc said there is not enough in yogurt to help. Sorry, I don't know what else to tell you other than go to the minor emergency or the ER if the pain gets bad, because constipation can be bad if prolonged.

Hopefully she feels better soon.

PROBIOTICS! Thanks. I have some acidopholus tablets in my big old box of medicine packed up from the home. She's on only a half dose once a day. I don't think it's enough, either. I think the dose was a maintenance dose...

how desperate are you? can she have a long, soaking bath?, have you tried laxatives?

I know one of my children got very constipated at age 4, I took him to the doctor, and was told to give him laxatives, and sit him on the toilet every 4 hours, and read to him, while he was on the toilet for 15 minutes, and to continue doing this for a few days after, because the bowel was stretched,and the muscles needed retraining.

I have heard that drinking oil helps,

Hi Stephanie,

Since you are already using Miralax, and have exhausted some great food ideas (have you tried prune juice?), then I have one last thought. If she hasn't gone for several days, it is probably too hard for her to go (it probably hurts so now she might be afraid to go) and it is getting harder the longer she waits to go. If she doesn't have constipation usually and doesn't hold in her poop then I would just give her a glycerin suppository (you can get pediatric sizes at the pharmacy..make sure you get some lubricant too). Then, once she does poop, I would really keep the fiber and fluid intake high until she is off the PCN and back to normal. If giving her a suppository is out of the question, try giving her some mineral oil (1 tablespoon) by mouth (it has no taste but is greasy obviously). We had to do that for my daughter when she went thru a holding it in phase. The mineral oil helps it slide out without the pain. I would put a pull up on her just in case (not because of the oil..but because of all the stuff combined might all take effect at once). I am mentally preparing the plunger and a big box of wipes for you! Hope this helps! Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:grouphug:

LMK

Hi Stephanie,

Since you are already using Miralax, and have exhausted some great food ideas (have you tried prune juice?), then I have one last thought. If she hasn't gone for several days, it is probably too hard for her to go (it probably hurts so now she might be afraid to go) and it is getting harder the longer she waits to go. If she doesn't have constipation usually and doesn't hold in her poop then I would just give her a glycerin suppository (you can get pediatric sizes at the pharmacy..make sure you get some lubricant too). Then, once she does poop, I would really keep the fiber and fluid intake high until she is off the PCN and back to normal. If giving her a suppository is out of the question, try giving her some mineral oil (1 tablespoon) by mouth (it has no taste but is greasy obviously). We had to do that for my daughter when she went thru a holding it in phase. The mineral oil helps it slide out without the pain. I would put a pull up on her just in case (not because of the oil..but because of all the stuff combined might all take effect at once). I am mentally preparing the plunger and a big box of wipes for you! Hope this helps! Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LMK

:iagree:

My last one had encopresis -- what fun! -- so I've had my fair share of dealing with constipation.

When was the last time she passed something substantial? Bunny poops don't count.

Call your ped and ask about upping the Miralax to see if it's okay. We didn't use Miralax back then; it was just coming out.

Also, make sure she's getting some water -- not too much, not too little -- but keep her sipping.

Does she feel pain in her hiney area when she tries to void? If so, kids will often not relax and do just the opposite, tighten up, which only keeps it in. Keep calm when she sits on the toilet and confidently reassure her.

Warm baths, even several per day, will help to loosen and relax the sphincter muscle. It's not unusual for blocked up kids to pass a big stool in the tub. (just warnin' ya!)

Also, we found that placing a stool (the furniture kind) under our son's feet while he sat on the toilet helped him go. This is a better alignment than what the toilets we use allow. Think of squatting over a hole in the ground. That's what you'd sort of be aiming for.

What lovely pre-bedtime banter this has been! I'll probably have nightmares dreaming of those days back then. LOL. Hope you find something that works quickly for your little girl. And, ugh, for it to be happening while you're in temporary housing.

Hi Stephanie,

LMK

Honestly, if we were in our home, I'd do this...but the thought of this happening on the road (we head out for our 7 day cross country drive on Tuesday) freaks me OUT!

How long does it usually take?

Be careful that you don't overdo things from the upper part of the digestion system at this point. My DD was stopped up and we did so many different things (with pediatrician's recommendation) that once she got past the blockage (I'm sorry, I don't know how to phrase this politely) it was completely liquid for several hours. That was almost (almost, but not quite) worse than the constipation.

I agree with PP that what's in her bowels is hard, blocked, and only getting worse. Try a suppository and/or see if she's willing to wipe her tushy (and get up in there, not just a cursory wipe) with toilet paper dampened with olive oil (or mineral oil - olive oil is what we used for DD) - something to lubricate things on the other end if that makes sense.

When sitting on the potty, try elevating feet and leaning back - that helps straighten out the path.

I'm so sorry - this is no fun.

Well...the mineral oil was something we used for a longer term issue. I should have been more specific...I was typing fast and didn't edit. We used it 2x/day and it worked well. We used it for a couple of months to get over the holding it in issue. It's been a few years so I can't remember how fast it worked the first time. The suppository is your best bet then..along with warm baths. If she starts pooping and will let you wipe her, then maybe (ugh..sorry TMI people) "help it along" if you know what I mean. If she were a baby, I would do the suppository and then lay her on the changing table and put her knees to her chest in the poop position. Sorry, but I can't imagine any of my kids letting me do that at 4 years old. LOL..what an image! Good luck! Sorry to hear that this coincides with a trip. What bad timing! Definitely get it taken care of b/f you go on a long car drive. It's bad enough to be in a hotel...you don't want to be taking care of this on the road at some charming (ugh) little rest area.

Ok, if you are looking for immediate relief go with an enema. They do make child size ones. I used them on my children before. Of course, they weren't thrilled with the idea but they fely ever so much better afterwards that they don't hesitate to ask for one if they need it.

If you have 6-8 hours then use milk of magnesia. They have a strawberry flavor now that is extra strength. They don't have to take as much and it doesn't taste too bad. Follow up with lots of water.

The look at adding some magnesium citrate to his diet to keep him regular. Also probiotics to help.

Ok, if you are looking for immediate relief go with an enema. They do make child size ones. I used them on my children before. Of course, they weren't thrilled with the idea but they fely ever so much better afterwards that they don't hesitate to ask for one if they need it.

If you have 6-8 hours then use milk of magnesia. They have a strawberry flavor now that is extra strength. They don't have to take as much and it doesn't taste too bad. Follow up with lots of water.

The look at adding some magnesium citrate to his diet to keep him regular. Also probiotics to help.

:iagree:

My youngest had problems as a toddler. He definitely wasn't trying to hold it--he just couldn't. If I didn't do the enema, he would eventually vomit. All the oral solutions in the world won't help if she's that blocked from below.

Suppositories didn't do a thing except come back out without the accompanying bm.

Don't know how you all are doing today, but both of my dd's went through spells of this.

Suppositories work fairly quick, but in our case it really depended on how much we could get in. It is a bit traumatic.

We had the best luck with the suppository and then warm baths. Sometimes they don't make it out of the bath but that's ok ;)

I would keep up the probiotics and the Miralax even after she goes just to keep things coming out and that she doesn't get scared to go again. Also, both dd's responded well to the V8 Splash that mixes the fruit and veggie juice. I think it was the combo.

:grouphug: Younger dd did this a couple years ago the week my uncle died. We had to travel out of state and she was badly constipated. The suppository/warm bath was what finally did the trick.

If this is still an issue today, I'm going to second the suggestion of an enema. Our disabled dd deals with chronic constipation--pretty common with wheelchair users. Actually since March she has been on Miralax which is wonderful. We finally settled in on a dose of just 1 tsp in 6 oz water daily and this keeps things regular enough. But before that, when she had gone 5 or 6 days without a BM, a fleet enema would eliminate the blockage in about 15 minutes. I tried not to use it regularly, but when it got bad this always worked. I don't think they make kids strength anymore. The adult one now says to use about half the bottle for kids. And generic is fine.

Thanks for all of your encouragement and great tips. We've had a tiny bit of relief. Sorry for the TMI, but 2 occasions produced quarter-sized pieces. I know these don't count, but after 5 days, it's a minor victory.

I tried the kids' suppository, but I'm not really sure much made it in. It was quite traumatic. I called the on-line nurse at the base, and she wants me to try the supp. again :crying: LLL is TERRIFIED!

I just really need to get this resolved before we hit the road on Tuesday, so time is on our side...

We have had a lot of luck in the past with a Saline Laxative. You MUST drink a ton of water with it. It was a little bit like torture pushing that much water in to one of the kids. I'm not entirely sure about the mechanics, but I think it fills up the bowels and makes it so that you can't help but "push" things out the other end. He was uncomfortable for a very short time, but it worked almost immediately ( I think within 15 minutes ).

If you want to try the suppository again, be prepared for some screaming. It helps a lot to hold their legs together bent in a fetal position so that they can't push it back out again. The longer it has to work the better.

Lots of luck.

Our dd had trouble when she was about 4yo and a family dr. later told us to try PEZ candies or sugarfree gum....something about the "sugar" gets them going! Our dd and later ds loved eating the PEZ candies and it really DID work! Good Luck and God bless ya'll! I pray things resolve quickly and as painlessly as possible!

are you using the solid or the liquid glycerin suppository? the liquid should help if you can get at least half the liquid to go in and stay in. Squeeze the bulb and don't release until you remove it. The glycerin is pretty mild and you can do several per day if necessary.

A tummy massage might help a bit too -- small circles pushing along the colon... the shape of a question mark, with her belly button being the center of the question mark.

There are also the pediatric enemas that use phosphate, very easy to use but no more than once a day and check with your pediatrician if she has any kidney issues.