Menu

Is my 8yo daughter too young to start using deodorant?

In the past few months I have noticed body odor on my dear 8yo daughter. I talked to her about it, in a gentle way, and we decided to try powder first. It seems to have worked today. But if it turns out not to be strong enough, should I put her on regular deodorant?

In the past few months I have noticed body odor on my dear 8yo daughter. I talked to her about it, in a gentle way, and we decided to try powder first. It seems to have worked today. But if it turns out not to be strong enough, should I put her on regular deodorant?

That does seem a bit young, but she may be maturing faster. I'd clear it with her ped asking for any adverse reasons why you may not want to give it. Assuming they agree, go for it.

No chemicals on growing babies is my motto. Most commercial body products are a cesspool of garbage. It takes a heap of gunk to keep people from smellling human. If daily bathing or something 100% natural (really natural, not just fake- natural) doesn't do it, I would live with it. If you think there is a problem, see your doc. But I would still not do chemicals.

I think of it this way... your kid goes to school...every single person is telling you he needs to be medicated for ADD/ADHD/Something else. You think. "Hey, we'll hs, we can accomodate this".

Same thing with BO. There are alternatives. And sometimes you put up.

What I do myself, actually, is just put some Purell or other antibacterial hand cleanser under my arms. It sounds strange, but it seems to work for me better than deoderant. she could try that, and at least not end up with aluminum in her pores. (Although, I guess I'm not certain if there could be bad health results from doing that regularly? but as lots of kids use the hand cleanser on their hands every day, I don't think it should be too dangerous.) HTH

Elaine

Wow, I am really surprised. I didn't know anyone who started wearing deodorant before we were 12 or 13, and I don't remember anyone smelling. If my kids do "smell" I will go the natural route (baking soda, tea tree oil, etc) before allowing them to wear commercial deodorant. I know a couple years ago they came out with a study linking early breast cancer with two factors 1) deodorant use and 2) frequent underarm shaving.

Better safe than sorry.

No chemicals on growing babies is my motto. Most commercial body products are a cesspool of garbage. It takes a heap of gunk to keep people from smellling human. If daily bathing or something 100% natural (really natural, not just fake- natural) doesn't do it, I would live with it. If you think there is a problem, see your doc. But I would still not do chemicals.

I think of it this way... your kid goes to school...every single person is telling you he needs to be medicated for ADD/ADHD/Something else. You think. "Hey, we'll hs, we can accomodate this".

Same thing with BO. There are alternatives. And sometimes you put up.

:iagree:I would not give her a deodorant at this point.

:iagree:I would not give her a deodorant at this point.

I should add not just 'natural', as natural can be posionous, but safe -natural. Or some proven-safe chemical with an excellent track record, that has shown to be safe for stinking children.

Can't think of a thing.

Humans have a stench...that's what we invented castille soap and running hot water.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I have found that once I stopped supervising, showering became somewhat sketchy. I would make sure that she was washing properly before going to a deodorant.

FWIW, Calvin is well on into puberty (moustache, etc.) but I haven't felt the need to recommend a deodorant yet.

Laura

• 1 year later...

I am such a newbie that I am only just now reading these replies. I'm still learning to remember to subscribe to my threads so I can be notified of replies to my posts! Sorry everybody. Thank you so much for all your thoughts. My dd is now 9 and we're still using powder. My dd 11 does, too. I think we will stay away from commercial deodorant and either use all-natural or homemade.

Thanks again!

My 8 year old dd needs it as well especially if she is going to be exercising.

I just recetly noticed the smell with my DD who is almost 9. We just went to te store and let her pick out a kid's deoderant. Yes, there are deoderans marketed specifically for kids. Most of the time, she remembers to wear it. I don't make a big deal out of it.

If she has bo, then no, it's not too young. Remember that something that is solely a deodorant is not an antiperspirant. If she's sweating, she might need one that has both, which most of the natural ones do not.