Menu

New Here: Does your DH help choose curriculum? WWYD?

MellowYellow

Hi, I usually just lurk, but had a few questions.

When it is that time of year to choose what the kids are going to use for curriculum, does your DH have input or do you choose everything?

Did you have to convince DH to homeschool, was he all for it, or did he not care either way?

I brought up the idea of homeschooling a few months back, and my DH was 100% on board with it. He loves the idea. Now it comes down to deciding on curriculum. I already know what I will be using this year for pre-k and DH says whatever I want because "I know best, lol".

Anyways for kindergarten (2011-2012) we have the option of using CAVA which uses K12 or filing a private school affidavit. I am so torn. He would really like the boys to enroll in CAVA because it is accredited, they tell you exactly what you need to do everyday, and the biggest perk for him it is completely FREE. He is lind of cheap when it comes to spending money, lol. In the end he says it is up to me and he will support me 100%. I have nothing against using a virtual academy accept with having to do attendance daily, reporting to a teacher, and not being able to combine lessons when all three boys are in school (they are two years ahead). But I really think I would like the freedom to do it on my own, but then I worry what if I fail. It is kind of nice when you are given everything and know what to do to make sure you are not behind. I know I am rambling, sorry.

I was thinking of maybe just doing it on my own and then enrolling them in CAVA (if it is still available) for highschool for the accreditation I know it is such a long ways off, but I am always thinking ahead.

What do you think? Any advice or suggestions?

Do you ever worry that you will fail at homeschooling?

I know you hear homeschool kids getting into great colleges, but do you ever worry that you will do something wrong and your kids won't be able to get into college? ( I know this sounds ridiculous)

If you had the choice of a free k12 virtual academy would you use it or homeschool on your own?

Do you think it is possible to do k12 with three children, or do you think it would be way too much work that is not needed?

The majority of people I know do have a chance to use K-12 through the virtual academy. I would not do the virtual academy. There is much of public school curriculum that is lacking especially in early phonics. School curriculum is geared toward independent work and busy work, and will generally take much longer for both the children and the teacher in the early grades. There is also so much out there that is really fun for these grades. Third grade and up, well, I might change my mind there.

DH supports my curriculum decisions to a point. (Super expensive and switching constantly without ever finishing doesn't cut it.) I had him look at the upper Heart of Dakota levels because I wasn't sure and he made that decision. (Winterpromise it is. :))

I did not start worrying about failing until this coming school year (3rd grade), because that is when more work is expected from the child. I actually told DH that I quit just the other day. I worry that I am ruining her because she won't mind me/work hard for me.

Oh, welcome to the boards!:seeya:

Edited by Lovedtodeath

for my older two if I could do k12 for free I'd be on it as we only have joint custody and their mom can't get over the pre-programed anti-homeschool attitude but could probably be persuaded to go for something like k12.

For the younger ones (my kiddos) I am 100% confident that I can do it better then something like k12. You do have the option of trying it both ways though and seeing what you like best. You can try and do it yourself first and if you feel too overwhelmed try k12 and then slowly work on supplementing more till you can get back onto all your own or maybe a mix.

I have a number of HS friends who use or have used K12 for early elementary. Based on their constant complaints, I wouldn't recommend it! If you have all the way until next year to think about it, and you're thinking it out this far in advance, I'd be willing to bet that you can do a better job for your own kids in early elementary! A lot of resources can just be library books. For a while, all our history and science resources came straight from the library. I'd recommend starting small - you can always order more curriculum if you think you need it.

In terms of complaints I've heard on K12 is that it's a lot of busy work, it's very inflexible, it requires many hours every day, they don't have enough time for outings, they constantly need to answer to the teachers, etc. Some people don't mind these constraints though!

I think K12 might become a more interesting option if your child needs more structure in jr or high school.

I thought about the virtual academy but decided that it sort of defeated my purpose for homeschooling. I want to give my kids a great education and I want to do it with our values.

My husband has never looked at a catalog and couldn't tell you what curriculum we use if you gave him a multiple choice question. Homeschooling was his idea to begin with, but my responsibility after that. He does help now and then, especially with math and he does support my decisions but that's about it. Honestly, I'm a little territorial at this point and I wouldn't really want him telling me how he thinks I should be doing things anyway. ;)

I think we are all afraid of failing now and then. When the kids just don't seem to get it and they won't listen and you just wish there was somewhere for them to go for a little while. Eventually you have a breakthrough and things level off until next time.

When it is that time of year to choose what the kids are going to use for curriculum, does your DH have input or do you choose everything?

I teach , I choose:)

Did you have to convince DH to homeschool, was he all for it, or did he not care either way?

Nope, it was actually my dh's idea.

Personally, I am not a "canned" curricula girl. I would not like my dc sitting in front of a screen for ALL of their subjects, but that's me.

Nope, never crossed my mind.

I know you hear home-school kids getting into great colleges, but do you ever worry that you will do something wrong and your kids won't be able to get into college? ( I know this sounds ridiculous)

Nope, have you been to a college campus lately, the bar is sadly, not set very high.

If you had the choice of a free k12 virtual academy would you use it or homeschool on your own?

On my own, with maybe a couple of classes online to promote independence starting in 5th grade.

Do you think it is possible to do k12 with three children, or do you think it would be way too much work that is not needed?

I think it's possible to do anything as long as your disciplined to do it. I think it's important to set realistic goals, then go for it. If you find yourself never getting to stuff you had planed after a month or two, it's time to re-evaluate. I love our afternoons, it's usually History or Science and we are normally in the middle of something fun. In order to keep afternoons free to get to the fun stuff, I had to change a few things. I make dental appointments at 7am. I go grocery shopping one a week at 6:30 am. I get up daily at 5:30 am for cleaning,laundry and breakfast.

Are you in California? There are a lot of other charters that would give you free materials and classes and be accredited etc. but are a lot more flexible and let you choose curriculum and how much to do etc. I looked into CAVA but much prefer choosing my own stuff. I think we could even order some of the k12 curriculum if we really wanted to. If this is an option you are interested in perhaps someone knows of the charters available where you live, it goes by county.

No my dh has faith in what I choose, he can see the results daily.

He was against it until my daughters allergies were confirmed. Now that he has seen it in action, he is my biggest supporter.

I will be honest, I quit school in the 9th grade. I went on to homeschool three children through highschool, learning along with them. I don't feel any of us suffered for it. All three of my older children are attending college, two while in the military.

I know you hear homeschool kids getting into great colleges, but do you ever worry that you will do something wrong and your kids won't be able to get into college? ( I know this sounds ridiculous)

We made a plan with each child for highschool. With the idea that they may attend an ivy league college. It worked out well for them, even though none attend and ivy league college.

I did use something slightly similar my very first year, but quickly learned that I wanted to do it my way. School at home was not what I had envisioned.

I can't answer this one, as I have never used the program.

Good luck figuring it all out, I know I was terrified in the beginning. I am loving this second go round.

Guest RecumbentHeart

Hi and welcome! :seeya:

It's my job to research everything and decide. He is fine with me coming to him when I need some input on a specific issue or a decision from a short list I've compiled but he doesn't have time for all the research and is entrusting it to my discretion.

Mutual. I don't remember us ever wanting to do anything else.

I've worried that I might have some kind of breakdown out of frustration but not that my children would be academically handicapped in some way .. so I guess it depends what you mean by "fail". So long as we don't kill each other I have no question that all will be fine.

Um .. no. I know everyone's experience varies based on where they're from etc. but considering the PS high school grads I've personally known that have gone on to college (including myself) .. no .. I haven't worried about that for a second.

I would homeschool my own.

I have absolutely no idea. :tongue_smilie: Sorry!

I do all the curriculum choosing and purchasing.

My dh originally suggested hsing to me when we found our private school choice was disappointing us.

It is hard to advise anyone else in this matter. The best thing you can do is spend time researching all of the different curriculum choices and methods before you make any firm decisons.

No. I spend a lot of time on our plans and choices. I also have hs'd our son through High School and he is doing great in college.

I know you hear homeschool kids getting into great colleges, but do you ever worry that you will do something wrong and your kids won't be able to get into college?

No. We've already taken one into college so we have no worries.

We do have FLVA but I don't use it because I like to keep my homeschool status and I like picking and choosing my own curriculum. We also have FLVS (different from FLVA). FLVS are free middle school and high school courses in Florida and many homeschoolers include FLVS classes in their curriculum.

I've heard that k12 is time intensive. I think it is definately doable but before you make any agreement be sure to look at the pace charts and time requirements on a daily basis. Also check into what kind of flexibility you can have with k12. My main issue with k12 is that I personally felt that it was more like 'school at home' . I didn't want to that level of regimentation. One of the nice things homeschooling offers is flexibility.

I shp year round :D I also school year round. I don't have a set time. I know what I need (and sometimes I don't and I end up with more than I need) and start it when I need/want to!

My dh is all for homeschooling. Always has been :)

I think you should research some of the more prevalent methods of homeschooling and see which one appeals to you and go for it. If it ends up being a VA then do it.

All the time. Then I get my kids tested (required every year in my state) and realize I'm not doing all that bad after all!

I can honestly say...NOPE!

Nope, I would always homeschool on my own so that I am not beholden to anyone my my kids and myself.

This I have no idea on, I have never done k12, never looked into it and never will :) And yes homeschooling 3 doesn't have to be difficult and can be done. (There are those on this board homeschooling 5,6,7+!)

Hope that helps you some :) And welcome to the wonderful (and terrible in a good way) world of homeschooling! :)

I'm too picky, so I choose my curriculum myself, often altering it in the middle of doing it.

I've looked at our local options, one of which pays quite a bit of money for curriculum for the year, but I won't do it because of the restrictions and constant check-ins. Washington is a very nice state for homeschooling, and I enjoy my freedom to homeschool (or unschool) *my way.*

I pick all the curriculum, but I do talk it through with my DH. He completely trusts me, but I like bouncing ideas off of him, and he is very involved with the kids' education. It was DH's idea to homeschool, since he was homeschooled.

I do sometimes worry about failing. I think that's why I spend SO much time researching, reading books, reading these forums. I know I'm perfectly capable of giving these kids an amazing education, but at the same time I'm not so overly confident that I don't put in the work to get it done. Does that make sense?

Are you in California? There are a lot of other charters that would give you free materials and classes and be accredited etc. but are a lot more flexible and let you choose curriculum and how much to do etc. I looked into CAVA but much prefer choosing my own stuff. I think we could even order some of the k12 curriculum if we really wanted to. If this is an option you are interested in perhaps someone knows of the charters available where you live, it goes by county.

Yes we are in California. We live in San Francisco. I have only been able to find one charter in my area "Fame". I really like "Ocean Grove" which lets you choose your own curriculum and gives you money, but it only goes as far as San Mateo County. So besides Fame, K12 is really my only option besides doing it on my own.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

In terms of complaints I've heard on K12 is that it's a lot of busy work, it's very inflexible, it requires many hours every day, they don't have enough time for outings, they constantly need to answer to the teachers, etc. Some people don't mind these constraints though! Quote

:iagree: I tried K12 my first year of homeschooling. It is not worth the money you will save. If you are planning to use it with 3 kids, unless you have 3 computers/ laptops, it will be impossible. I didn't like how much was on the computer in 2nd grade. It was too hard for me to help teach him on the computer while pregnant and chasing a toddler. My "teacher" also told me that I was not allowed to take 3 weeks off when my baby came. :glare: I knew I would have to have a c-section and taking anything less than 3 weeks was impossible for me. I listened in to all their student/teacher conferences and one day she kept correcting him for mispronouncing "the." I say it with a "ee" sound and she kept telling him it should end with "uh" sound. I tried to tell her that it is not wrong, but a cultural thing. She refused to let him say "thee." :confused:

My dh was not for homeschooling, but I convinced him to let me try it for 1 year after we had had a bad year at public school. Now he says I can homeschool until High School. :001_smile:

If you are worried about budget I would utilize the Library as much as you can. Goodwill and other thrift stores are a great place to find books you need. My finds at these stores include: MUS, Wordly Wise, Reading Comp. Guides, textbooks, lots of pre-K/K workbooks, and tons of good reading books.

I do most of the research and choosing, but do discuss it with him if I want additional input. I do this particularly in the areas of English and foreign language, as he is stronger in those areas than I am. Recently, he said he would like to see us do more of a focus on foreign language, so I encouraged him to pick a curriculum he could teach and run with it--I'd support him all the way.:) He is currently researching options.

He's been behind it all the way and wishes he could be more directly involved more often.

It would be *really* hard to fail at pre-k/k;). If you feel like you want to try it on your own, when is a better time than in the grades with the lowest pressure? Sounds like the VA will be there as a safety net if you decide doing it on your own isn't working as well as you'd hoped (though I think you'll be surprised).

Yes, but I also worry that I'll fail at all sorts of things, so it's not something specific to homeschooling.;)

See above.;)

I might very well use it, particularly for high school, maybe even middle school, as materials get more expensive and involved (we are currently going into 5th grade). I would love to see this as an option in our state (we currently have no VA option at all). I've looked at and used some of the k12 materials ( for 3re/4th grade) and liked them (some more than others). I've had friends who have used them who liked it very much. It's a trade-off, certainly, in terms of giving up a level of autonomy to gain the benefits but then so is everything. The main thing is determining whether the costs outweigh the benefits *for your situation at a given time.*

There's no one "right" or "best" way to homeschool (unschool, plan your own, virtual academy, boxed curriculum, eclectic, etc) any more than there's one "right" or "best" way to educate (public school, parochial school, private school, homeschool, etc). To my mind, the more options the better.

No idea, as I only have one child and haven't done the full k12 program even for her.

My DH doesn't ask many questions about the curriculum except for "how much is it going to cost?" I choose all of the curriculum but, I do my best to find it as inexpensively as possible to help our budget.

My DH has wanted me to hs from the beginning. I was the one who didn't think that I could do it without driving our entire family insane. (I tend to be a perfectionist.)

Anyways for kindergarten (2011-2012) we have the option of using CAVA which uses K12 or filing a private school affidavit. I am so torn. He would really like the boys to enroll in CAVA because it is accredited, they tell you exactly what you need to do everyday, and the biggest perk for him it is completely FREE. He is lind of cheap when it comes to spending money, lol. In the end he says it is up to me and he will support me 100%. I have nothing against using a virtual academy accept with having to do attendance daily, reporting to a teacher, and not being able to combine lessons when all three boys are in school (they are two years ahead). But I really think I would like the freedom to do it on my own, but then I worry what if I fail. My dc were actually enrolled in a private Christian school when we decided to hs. I actually asked the enrollment advisor if my dc could come mid-year in case I totally blew it hs-ing. You're not alone in that feeling! It is kind of nice when you are given everything and know what to do to make sure you are not behind. You have the option to choose curriculum that gives you everything you need to know/how to teach in the teacher's manuals. I only buy curriculum like that. I don't want to/like to/have time to create my own curriculum gathered from everywhere, although some hsers love to do that and are great at it. I'm just not. I know I am rambling, sorry.

I was thinking of maybe just doing it on my own and then enrolling them in CAVA (if it is still available) for highschool for the accreditation I know it is such a long ways off, but I am always thinking ahead.

Do you ever worry that you will fail at homeschooling? In the beginning I did but, after just one year under our belts and seeing how my dc are thriving, I'm not killing anyone figuratively or literally and hs doesn't encompass every breathing moment to our detriment as I thought it might, I don't worry about failing. I am concerned about how I'll teach dialectic and rhetoric effectively as the dc get older but, I figure we'll cross that bridge when we get to it and try to be comfortable in the here and now.

No. I think that God will provide and if I feel that I can no longer meet the academic needs of our dc that we'll find a good fit for them to be educated elsewhere. I'm hoping that we'll be able to hs until they graduate but, we'll just have to wait and see.

I would do it on my own. I would want more control over what is being taught than what k12 would allow.

I know several families who have used k12 who have 3+ children. As far as I know, they liked it o.k. but, I never really talked with them in detail as to the ins and outs of the program. I do know that many people feel that k12 is just another way for the public school system to be able to control homeschooling families. I personally don't know if that is valid or not. Hope this helps. As far as the being afraid of failure....you're where I was last year at this time and we made it with flying colors. It's been so much fun for our whole family. It's great that your dh is supporting you. Good luck!

When it is that time of year to choose what the kids are going to use for curriculum, does your DH have input or do you choose everything? I am 100% in charge of curriculum decisions, and dh is fine with this.

Did you have to convince DH to homeschool, was he all for it, or did he not care either way? I had to do a bit of convincing but only because he was concerned it would be hard on me to be with the kids all day and have this extra responsibility.

Do you ever worry that you will fail at homeschooling? Of course. :) But the public or private school could fail them, as well. No education is perfect, after all. I spend a lot of time and energy researching and making decisions about their education. It has truly taken me almost two full years to get a handle on this animal called "homeschooling". I think a learning curve is expected with any new job, though.:001_smile: I now feel fairly competent and confident. Shockingly ( ;) ), my kids made it just fine through my "learning curve" and have learned all sorts of things in spite of any errors or omissions I made.:tongue_smilie:

I know you hear homeschool kids getting into great colleges, but do you ever worry that you will do something wrong and your kids won't be able to get into college? ( I know this sounds ridiculous) No, I don't. I don't know what type of college they will get into or want to attend, but I feel confident that all of them will be able to get into some sort of college.:001_smile:

If you had the choice of a free k12 virtual academy would you use it or homeschool on your own? I would choose to homeschool on my own, I think, because I want to make my own curriculum decisions.

Hi,

My husband did not have anything to say really about curriculum (and didn't seem to want to); he knew that I had done all the research and that I was going to be the one doing the curriculum with her, so it was just left up to me.

I did have to convince him a bit about homeschooling to begin with (especially since in my case it involved pulling my then third-grader out of public school); but fortunately we both agreed in the end!

I do have a choice to do a virtual academy type thing. I'm not interested. I want the freedom to choose my own curriculum and everything else about my day.

When I first pulled her out and began homeschooling, yes I was definitely a little nervous. It was a big step, no doubt! There was definitely a little voice in the back of my head going "what if you screw her up? What if you do it wrong? What if you fail? What if you ruin her life?"

But I had read so much about the benefits of homeschooling, and I had put myself into a homeschool group for support and to be around other people who were doing it quite successfully (and the same with homeschool email lists and message boards), etc.

And then as we started doing it, everything just kind of naturally falls into place. You have fun doing it, you can see your child is learning, you hear so many bad things about the schools and know you can't possibly do worse by your child, you start to wonder what you were ever worried about to begin with...

I pulled my daughter out of public school in March, 2009. I homeschooled her for the rest of third grade doing our own eclectic mix of things. I homeschooled her this past year for fourth grade using Oak Meadow. And I'm looking forward to homeschooling her for fifth- and for starting Kindergarten with my son who will never go to public school to begin with. It's been fine. It's been going great! I have no regrets, other than not having done it with her sooner. :)

hi, I usually just lurk, but had a few questions.

No, I chose. We talk about subjects and he's made a few suggestions over the years (6 years of homeschooling), but it's all my choices.

Ds was in private school and the option was for me to go back to work to pay for tuition or homeschool. He was initially hesitant, but gave his full support before we started and now thinks it's the best decision for our son.

The early elementary years can be such a wonderful time of discovery and learning. And it doesn't have to cost a fortune. Part of the joy of homeschooling is having the freedom to mold the curriculum to your child, not the child to a curriculum.

Not anymore.

No.

My own. We have chosen a classical model for education. K12 would not be the best option to support that model. Also one of the reason we chose to homeschool was to keep the bureaucracy of the school system out of his education. Also part of the beauty of homeschooling is being able to accelerate your child or slow down as necessary. My son's abilities span about five grades from behind 7th grade to ahead. Trying to stick all his abilities into one grade level would be disastrous.

I know nothing about K12, except what I've read here. Aren't you required to teach every subject at the child's grade level? That means you could be doing 3 science classes, 3 history classes, 3 levels of English. If that is the case I think it would be overwhelming.

Welcome to the board.

Yes we are in California. We live in San Francisco. I have only been able to find one charter in my area "Fame". I really like "Ocean Grove" which lets you choose your own curriculum and gives you money, but it only goes as far as San Mateo County. So besides Fame, K12 is really my only option besides doing it on my own.

We are in Fame and have had a great experience. We are in El Cerrito in Contra Costa County so we also have few choices. We get $1300 per year to spend on curriculum or classes and are able to choose whatever we want (as long as it is secular, though you can do religious stuff separately if you want of course). We have been in FAME for three years and just have to submit work samples every month but it has never been a problem. PM me if you would like more info on FAME. It is very similar to Ocean Grove from what I have heard.

I teach, I choose. He doesn't care what we use as long as the kids are learning and I'm not going crazy.

He was all for it. Our son had been asking to HS since Kindy and it got to a point where it was really the only choice that made sense.

Re: CAVA, I have no personal experience so I don't know how regulated it is regarding hours, curriculum, etc. I can only say that I have really enjoyed the freedom to choose what and when we study, especially for the grammar stage. I've enjoyed being able to let DS follow rabbit trails. In the high school phase, if we are still HS'ing, I will certainly be considering options that will ensure an accredited diploma and the education he will need for college.

Honestly, I can't do any worse than the PS was doing. I know DS's weak areas and can work on those. I know what he enjoys and can challenge him appropriately. The school can't/won't do that.

No because I will do whatever it takes to get him the education he needs. I know there are resources available if I need them.

My own. I want to keep the government and bureacracy out of my kid's education as much as possible. NCLB and the focus on testing vs. learning is, IMO, the downfall of our education system. I like the idea of a classical education and cannot see that my kids would get that with a K12.

I have no experience there. However my understanding is that you have to teach each child/grade level separately and that would be a lot of extra work IMO.

I might run things past him to get a different POV, but I'm the teacher; I get to choose. :-)

He trusted my judgement. He said if I thought it was a good idea, then that's what we should do.

I brought up the idea of homeschooling a few months back, and my DH was 100% on board with it. He loves the idea. Now it comes down to deciding on curriculum. I already know what I will be using this year for pre-k and DH says whatever I want because "I know best, lol".

Smart man.:D

Anyways for kindergarten (2011-2012) we have the option of using CAVA which uses K12 or filing a private school affidavit. I am so torn. He would really like the boys to enroll in CAVA because it is accredited, they tell you exactly what you need to do everyday, and the biggest perk for him it is completely FREE. He is lind of cheap when it comes to spending money, lol. In the end he says it is up to me and he will support me 100%. I have nothing against using a virtual academy accept with having to do attendance daily, reporting to a teacher, and not being able to combine lessons when all three boys are in school (they are two years ahead). But I really think I would like the freedom to do it on my own, but then I worry what if I fail. It is kind of nice when you are given everything and know what to do to make sure you are not behind. I know I am rambling, sorry.

If your dc will not be 6yo until after December 2, they are not compulsory school age, and you do NOT have to file an affidavit or enroll in anything else.

I think you should avoid CAVA. It's public school at home. You will NOT have the freedom to teach your dc what you think they should learn, or what they want to learn, or what they are capable of learning.

Accreditation doesn't amount to a whole bunch. That would be the LAST thing I'd ever consider.

Yes.

No. Anything can be "fixed." That might happen at a later age, but *everything* can be fixed. Besides, your dc are way too young for you to be worried about "failing." And in case you haven't noticed, the public schools, with all their certified teachers, have been failing for over 40 years now. You can't possibly do worse than they!

No, I would not do CAVA, or any other government-funded charter school.

I'm sure it's possible, but *I* wouldn't do it.

I bounce ideas off him, but most of it goes in one ear and out the other. He honestly believes I can make good choices without him having to review programs because he knows how much I research before buying them. I do talk to him about prices though because I think it's respectful to let him know when I'm taking money out of our account.

I first learned about homeschooling when my ds13 was in Kindergarten. He was having an awful time (later was diagnosed with Aspergers) and DH didn't like the idea of homeschooling. I read books, googled, read articles, and visited homeschool boards for 2 months and then took the facts and details back to him when I really felt serious about it. He thanked me for my hard work and told me to go for it. Two months after that, he was thanking me for getting us involved in homeschooling. We're in our 10th year now.

My personal suggestion is to not use a virtual academy or an expensive program for Kindergarten. I'm fairly certain that Kindergarten is not mandatory in every U.S. state, assuming you are in the U.S. and forgive me if you are not. In Georgia, the mandatory schooling age is 6 to 16. That's 1st grade. Not many people realize that. We're conditioned to put our children into school as early as possible. Use the first year to learn more about homeschooling, getting used to the idea of finding curriculum, planning, etc.

No, and I don't know what concern you truly have. I cannot fail at homeschooling. I homeschool my children. They may not understand the material sometimes, but they don't fail any of their work. If they don't understand, I find another way to explain things, or find another curriculum that helps me explain something better. I've never been worried about where my children are compared to their peers. In one single classroom, there are actually kids ranging through several grade levels in different subjects. Some kids are ready for 4th grade math in 4th grade, but some are slower and some are faster. What exactly are you worried about failing at?

Look at the admission pages on the universities around you. Every college I've looked on in the past several months has an admissions page dedicated to homeschooled children and how they can apply to college.

This is a controversial subject among homeschoolers, unfortunately. I personally do not have a problem with a virtual academy IF it fit all of my criteria. I had to make that choice for this coming fall. My county is beginning a new virtual academy that looks fabulous. The major obstacle for us is that we prefer schooling on our own time and not being tied to someone else's schedules. So after giving it serious consideration, we decided free curriculum wasn't worth the change. And that was a significant decision for us because we use an accredited high school program that is expensive. It's costing us alot of money.

K12 has alot of busy work. I must admit I love K12, but we used it independently and not part of a virtual academy. That means I was able to weed through all the busy work and pick out only the assignments I knew would be beneficial to my children's learning. My dd12 is about to begin the middle school American History program. Well, it's 5th and 6th grade with K12, but my son did it in 6th and 7th grade and it was great. I'm so excited to be going through it again!

Homeschooling was very scary the first year. After that, I felt comfortable and stopped stressing out about every little thing. You'll be fine. I'd especially love to suggest that you take the Kindergarten year easy. You have years ahead of you for lots of curriculum, seat work, pushing kids past their comfort zones, etc. The Kindergarten year shouldn't jump into such serious academics, IMHO.

I have heard that K12 does make you more tied to your computer and things have to be done at certain times. I would not like it as I like flexibility. We follow the classical model using Charlotte Mason.

Since I am with my children all the time and have an education background, I choose the curriculum. The one time I asked for an opinion on math; my husband didn't want to switch due to cost and it was another agonizing year for both student and Mom! Base your curriculum choices on the needs of your individual students. Don't think "I'll buy this expensive program because they will all use it so it will end up being cheap". It might only work for one.

Failing....I don't think so. Just by having your children home with you, being there to influence what they read, watch, say, etc......you would still be miles ahead of public school influence.

I do the research and come up with a draft plan, but I run it by dh to check what he thinks about it.

Dh liked the idea, but always said it was my choice, since I would be doing most of the work.

Well it really depends on why you want to home educate. For me, one of the biggest pluses is that my children do not have to follow a heap of guidelines devised by somebody who doesn't know my children. So this CAVA, to me, would negate a major part of the advantages of homeschooling. But if you are doing it for other reasons and are happy to follow a set out curriculum schedule, I guess it could work out fine.

Not really. The kids are going to learn stuff providing we don't lock them in the cellar. And with my son's issues, I seriously doubt he'd be learning anything much worth knowing if he were at school. So I can't really fail to do better than that. Will I fail at giving them the perfect education? Undoubtedly. But I don't think anyone can do that, so it's not something I lose sleep over.

Nope. See above. Plus, by the time they are contemplating tertiary education, the children will be taking charge of their own education, with me as an aid and facilitator. So it will be up to them to ensure they do what they need to do to get into the course of their choice.

Go it alone.

I don't know anything much about K12, but I think that home educating is going to be a lot of work, no matter what style or methods you use. If you don't want to do a lot of work, send them to school and let the teachers do the work :lol:

I choose everything. Every time I talk curriculum, his eyes start to glaze over!

He has always been 100% for it.

Read Cathy Duffy's 100 Curriculum Picks. It's great for getting to know your child's (and yours) learning style(s).

I think all of us have feelings of inadequacy and failure from time to time, but not usually.

I don't worry. I think to an extent college is overrated and that there are other opportunities for getting a higher education.

Probably not unless I was unable to teach them myself. I almost cried when dh mentioned having the kids do cyber school recently. I guess he is a bit concerned when it comes to teaching them the higher levels of math & science.

Not knowing much about K12 I have no idea.

No, DH does not help picking curricula. His eyes glaze over when I talk about it. That's why I come here. :)

I had the choice of K12 and I didn't choose it.

No, I don't worry about messing my kids up. I know I can do *at least* as good as public school.

I have heard that K12 does make you more tied to your computer and things have to be done at certain times.

Not true at all. I have used K12 4th through 6th grades. There is some stuff on the computer, but the majority was in workbooks. Science was online, but still lots of worksheets. I loved the traditional aspect, which you obviously wouldn't like, but it was as flexible as any other homeschool program (even Story of the World materials) I've ever used.

Virtual Schools differ, even virtual schools set up in the same state. Some have more and some have less. The problem with such generalizing is that someone who might really benefit from a particular program may be turned off by just one hearsay comment.

I peruse almost every catalog that is out there. I make a short list and then torture dh for a couple of months with samples and catalogs. He is interested...just not as intense as I am about it all.

Actually a bit of all three. We have one ds with severe food allergies and a short attention span. He was all for homeschooling this ds. I had to convince him to hs all the kiddos. By the end, he was torn about what to do and finally said we could try it with all the kiddos.

I wouldn't do a public school at home for the younger grades and probably not up until high school for accreditation. My kids went to public school. I have seen where public school standards are and what they are interested in...teaching to the test. We don't need that.

See above. Having sent my kiddos to public school for at least 4 yrs with one child, I can not do any worse. Our public schools are 47 in the nation. I can't fail any worse than that.

I seriously thought about this aspect, but plan to keep very good records and truthfully the expectations of colleges for entering freshman is less than what I would expect in high school of a student.

Not having this option, it is hard to give a truthful answer. I probably would have tried it our first year and hated it were it available. Now that I have been awakened to the serious gaps my all A's students with excellent test scores have from public school education, I would avoid it at all costs.

I think being required to complete what public school thinks is necessary for any grade level (busy work) would be overwhelming when the alternative is options that work better one on one. I have 4 children and would not attempt the public school methods at home. I would never see the light of day again.

All that said, home schooling is not cheap. You do have to invest both your time and money as well as your heart and soul. My heart and soul is not on board with public school mentality and educational objectives. Therefore, neither is my time and money.

The free part would be nice. I have four kids and it does tend to add up quickly. However, I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for...

So, I would ask other people that have used k12 in your area what they thought of it? What grade they used? Are they still using it? If so, why? If not, why not?

He is not at all involved in the curriculum choices, because I am the one who does most of the teaching. He generally approves the choices, and teaches whenever I need him to. He is the science-experiment guru, and strangely, he is the craft-master. i hate crafts. he loves doing them with the kids.

we have always been on the same page about this. it was a gradual journey and through talking things through we came to the same conclusions.

no. i have invested too much to fail. the more we grow as a family and the better i get to know my kids, the better i get at teaching them, and they affirm this in me. that is not to say that i haven't entertained serious doubts in the past--i used to think i was failing all. the. time. however, we have committed ourselves to this without an escape plan (i.e. we plan to do this all the way through to college), and it helps a lot with whether or not i feel like i could fail. in my case, failure is not an option.

no...i would still do it on my own.

don't have an answer to every one of your questions, but those are my thoughts for the ones for which i do have answers!

DH is free to give input, but so far the only input I've gotten is "no Saxon math" because they used it when he was in school and he thinks it's horrid.

He took a little convincing, but that was agreed upon before DD was even born. Now, he's at the point where he really doesn't trust the schools and is very supportive of homeschooling.

My advice: be confident. You won't fail your kids.

no.

No. If I have a kid who can't get into college, it will most likely be because I have a kid who has no business attending college (it's not right for everyone).

There are several online charters out here (k12, Connections Academy, and one run through one of the school districts). I have a friend who uses Connections Academy for her 4 boys, and really likes it because it keeps them organized, which is not her strong point. I like doing it myself, though. I think state standards here are ridiculous and have no interest in a program adhering to them.

Actually, my friend found the online program helped them get a lot more done. Since the most important aspect of HS'ing for them was keeping the family close, it's been a great solution. Every family is different.

He only has input when I ask him.:D

If I remember correctly (it's been over 10 years), he was all for it.

I honestly can't even imagine my dh having any sort of input like that, so I'm not much help LOL. He just isn't that type to even have it on his radar.:lol:

Nope, because I know that public school would fail my kids even more.

No, because there are all sorts of different colleges. Also I know what some of the kids are like that are going into college. My kids will not have a problem getting in.

I do have that choice, and I have chosen to homeschool on my own.

Sorry...can't help ya there.:001_smile:

It's all my choice (Luckily, I find it so much fun and he doesn't have the time anyway.)

He was curious, but the results have made him very happy!

No, I have such a passion for homeschooling. (Sometimes I do get distracted for a time but I just call times like that "spring break".)

I know you hear homeschool kids getting into great colleges, but do you ever worry that you will do something wrong and your kids won't be able to get into college?

No. I have full confidence she'll have no problem.

I would not use it, I enjoy homeschooling on our own too much. Maybe we will do a one day a week thing just to get to know other homeschoolers, but never a virtual school.

Edited by Satori

the biggest perk for him it is completely FREE. He is lind of cheap when it comes to spending money, lol. In the end he says it is up to me and he will support me 100%. I have nothing against using a virtual academy accept with having to do attendance daily, reporting to a teacher, and not being able to combine lessons when all three boys are in school (they are two years ahead). But I really think I would like the freedom to do it on my own, but then I worry what if I fail. It is kind of nice when you are given everything and know what to do to make sure you are not behind. I know I am rambling, sorry.

First of all, about being free/cheap. I do think one should consider what is worth spending money on in life. I also am not certain that having someone else tell you what to do means that you are guaranteed fantastic success, or a better outcome than doing it on your own.

When it is that time of year to choose what the kids are going to use for curriculum, does your DH have input or do you choose everything?HAHAHA. No. I really appreciate the freedom of choosing what we'll use. I LOVE researching curriclum.

Did you have to convince DH to homeschool, was he all for it, or did he not care either way? 20 years ago we gave it a shot- we were in L.A. and however badly we screwed up could be no worse than what we saw in L.A. county school system. I was more for it than he was. We made a couple of military moves and it provided familial stability. 3 yrs later I had a very sick baby and was struggling with an undiagnosed thyroid problem. i was ready to give up. He said, "no." This year, we've had one challenge after another from almost every front and I have seriously questioned the investment over the past 2 decades I've made homeschooling. My dh has been beyond wonderful. Almost every night he tells me that I've done the most important thing in the world, that investing in our kids is something we'll never forget, that our kids are gifted in ways (mainly cause of homeschooling and the time and resources we've poured into them) that will serve them throughout their whole lives and that we've affected not only our kids, but thiers as well. (I'm keeping him!!:001_smile:).

What do you think? Any advice or suggestions? Make an overall plan, but be willing to change as needed by year. I'd do the curriculum you'be choosen, cause I am "improver" and I'd do that anyway, but that's just me. Go with what you know.

Do you ever worry that you will fail at homeschooling? What is fail? Homeschooling is a tool in my hand to train up my children, mentor and nourish their abilities. Homeschooling is not an end. What kind of people do I want to encourage my children to be as adults, and ultimately as spiritual beings that will live for eternity, beyond me? Will homeschooling afford me the ability to do my job beyond other academic environments?

No. We've graduated 2. Colleges are desperate for students who think and are articulate. I worry about paying for it. That being said, however, our oldest is on a full ride-4 yr scholarship. Our 2nd is about to start management training at a national home improvement store. Life is full of opportunities. College is but one and available to anyone with the wherewithall to get there (check out The New Global Student- reveiw on my blog here; http://goldengrasses.blogspot.com/2010/02/saturday-review.html

If you had the choice of a free k12 virtual academy would you use it or homeschool on your own? No. Never. I have an issue with too much virtual anything. Isn't the point of life to engage with it? Real books, real paper, real people talking with you??

Do you think it is possible to do k12 with three children, or do you think it would be way too much work that is not needed? There are lots of gifted men and women on this board (and others) and probably in your community to teach 1-many more children K-12 each and every year. This is the 2nd year I'm "down" to 3 students and it's such a breeze after 4-5 students that I'm a little bored. If you mean K12 the on-line program, I think there are far better ways to get a well rounded, wonderful education for a lot less money and more well rounded challenge.

Just mho:001_smile:

I hope that I am not intruding on this thread, but I thought that I would bring my perspective (DH) to the conversation. Years ago, my wife and I considered homeschooling our twins, but were convinced to start a wonderful charter school that used unit studies for all levels K - 8 (sounds good right?). It has worked well, and my children thrived, but all the little things have been building (teacher turnaround, preferential treatment for families that give more money, weak curriculum), and we are pulling them to start seventh grade at home. I have done all of the research, curriculum orders, and lead the homeschool convention effort, but I know that this is going to be in her court, I work full time, so I thought that this was still not enough compared to her work ahead. I realize that in a one-income family (sort of, my wife is still working enough to help us save money) the one income becomes very important, but I plan to do everything I can to make this first year a success. We are both terrified because they have done very well through 6th, but we are convinced that they are just not getting a quality education anymore.

We are in Florida, which happens to be very friendly to homeschoolers, but I still will not consider the Free K-12. FLVS on the other hand is already on my radar - it does not require the same attendance as the free K-12.

As a rare DH (I don't think that I have seen another posting here), I hope that I helped a bit. We wish now that we had started with homeschool from the beginning, but I do not want to look back and regret, so we dive in this year.

If you had the choice of a free k12 virtual academy would you use it or homeschool on your own? No. Never. I have an issue with too much virtual anything. Isn't the point of life to engage with it? Real books, real paper, real people talking with you??

"Virtual academy" doesn't equal "everything done on the computer." Virtual academies refer to the fact that education is being provided elsewhere than a brick and mortar public school, not the means by which that education is provided. There is a wide range of options across the country from ones where the parents select all the materials and funds can be used to pay for specialized face to face classes like martial arts, music, etc to ones like k12, where all the materials are provided and planning is done for you.

Even in k12, students use a combo of real books, paper and pencil and some online materials depending on the class and grade. I've used k12's 3rd and 4th grade literature programs (not through a VA) and been able to do so quite successfully entirely offline. Admittedly, doing it that way I have not had access to the online study guides provided for the four "real book" novels the kids are to read each year in addition to their "real book" anthologies and other materials and "real paper" assignments. I have volume 1 of their middle school textbook, "Human Odyssey," and the student and teacher pages for that. The course for this does include the expectation of more online work, but far from all. The friend I had who used a k12 VA in PA said that they had regular times when the kids in the VA got together for activities.

Using a virtual academy does not mean a lack of "real books, real paper, real people talking with you" any more than homeschooling means the child never leaves their home, never interacts with anyone other than immediate family members or uses only the King James Bible for all their instruction. I don't use a VA (don't have that option in our state, at least unless I am willing to pay quite a bit for the same program privately), but I see them as simply another option for education, no more inherently horrible than homeschooling (via whatever method one chooses), public charter, private charter or public schools. There are good ones, bad ones, good fits, poor fits, etc in all forms of education. I can see possible situations in which one would be worth the trade-offs for us.

My dh is supportive of our homeschooling. No he doesn't help choose the curr. If he were the one overseeing/teaching I am sure he would want a voice but he isn't involved at all. I run by him what I want to use, why, cost and if I need funds outside of selling last years curr.

"Virtual academy" doesn't equal "everything done on the computer." Virtual academies refer to the fact that education is being provided elsewhere than a brick and mortar public school, not the means by which that education is provided. There is a wide range of options across the country from ones where the parents select all the materials and funds can be used to pay for specialized face to face classes like martial arts, music, etc to ones like k12, where all the materials are provided and planning is done for you.

Even in k12, students use a combo of real books, paper and pencil and some online materials depending on the class and grade. I've used k12's 3rd and 4th grade literature programs (not through a VA) and been able to do so quite successfully entirely offline. Admittedly, doing it that way I have not had access to the online study guides provided for the four "real book" novels the kids are to read each year in addition to their "real book" anthologies and other materials and "real paper" assignments. I have volume 1 of their middle school textbook, "Human Odyssey," and the student and teacher pages for that. The course for this does include the expectation of more online work, but far from all. The friend I had who used a k12 VA in PA said that they had regular times when the kids in the VA got together for activities.

Using a virtual academy does not mean a lack of "real books, real paper, real people talking with you" any more than homeschooling means the child never leaves their home, never interacts with anyone other than immediate family members or uses only the King James Bible for all their instruction. I don't use a VA (don't have that option in our state, at least unless I am willing to pay quite a bit for the same program privately), but I see them as simply another option for education, no more inherently horrible than homeschooling (via whatever method one chooses), public charter, private charter or public schools. There are good ones, bad ones, good fits, poor fits, etc in all forms of education. I can see possible situations in which one would be worth the trade-offs for us.

Excellent points. We actually do a couple of on-line classes ourselves. I'm just saying I wouldn't do a total virtual academy. There is one in our town. The kids sit down at a cubicle and do their entire school curriclum there, in front of a computer. That's what I had in mind when I wrote- thanks for keeping things even-handed!

Excellent points. We actually do a couple of on-line classes ourselves. I'm just saying I wouldn't do a total virtual academy. There is one in our town. The kids sit down at a cubicle and do their entire school curriclum there, in front of a computer. That's what I had in mind when I wrote- thanks for keeping things even-handed!

Not something I'd be interested in, either.:)