Menu

Question about dogs

We woke to screaming this morning. My dh ran outside and there was a pit bull attacking our neighbor's cat in our front yard. Dh had to use an outdoor chair to get the dog to retreat (after trying his fists and feet). The cat did not make it and the little boy with the dog slipped the leash back on and took off. We later found out our neighbor opened her back door and the pitbull came inside her house to get her cat! After I bandaged dh (he was cut from the chair), I called the police and they told me to call animal control tomorrow.:glare:

My question is how likely is it that this dog might go after one of my dds? I know dogs and cats aren't supposed to get along, so does that mean it is not an indicator of dangerous behaviour? It freaked me out a little.

We woke to screaming this morning. My dh ran outside and there was a pit bull attacking our neighbor's cat in our front yard. Dh had to use an outdoor chair to get the dog to retreat (after trying his fists and feet). The cat did not make it and the little boy with the dog slipped the leash back on and took off. We later found out our neighbor opened her back door and the pitbull came inside her house to get her cat! After I bandaged dh (he was cut from the chair), I called the police and they told me to call animal control tomorrow.:glare:

My question is how likely is it that this dog might go after one of my dds? I know dogs and cats aren't supposed to get along, so does that mean it is not an indicator of dangerous behaviour? It freaked me out a little.

I'd call back and demand an officer come to your house and take a report from you and your neighbor.

I'd also canvas the neighborhood to see if anyone knows this dog & boy.

Take pics of your dh's injury, even tho' it wasn't a dog bite. The injury would not have happened without the dog attacking the cat.

:grouphug:

ETA: Love your avatar, BTW!

Edited by unsinkable

That is really scary!! You need to have a police report today! You also need to call the emergency animal control number that they should have for off hours reports and get an investigator out there. I would also encourage the owner of the cat to press charges. That is outrageous!...and YES, the dog is a potential threat to anyone as long as it had done this and is clearly not being controlled.

Yes, that is an indicator of dangerous behavior. If the story is true that the dog went inside someone's home to get the cat, I would definitely want that dog gone from my neighborhood permanently. In fact, I'd want it euthanized. In most localities, the dog would be considered a "dangerous dog" and highly regulated if it did what your neighbor described.

The policeman I spoke with said if the owner of the cat called it in they would come out, but I don't think they will. They had a pit bull before and were defending the dog by saying they know they will go after small animals.:001_huh: We're going to follow up with animal control especially since it was my dh beating the dog in our yard and we're worried about walking the neighborhood now.

One of the neighbors was just over and said he followed the same boy a couple of days ago because he saw him walking TWO big pitbulls and it concerned him. So, we now have a pretty good idea of who owns the dog and where they live.

ETA: I spoke too soon. The neighbor who lost their cat was just over and they do plan to follow up with police/animal control.

Edited by Horton

Guest janainaz

I DESPISE pit bull's. We have a ton of people in our neighborhood that have them, and I have taught my kids to stay far away from them. I have read so many articles and seen so many news stories about pit bull attacks, and I just don't trust that breed of dog at all. I would definitely call animal control and be very detailed in my description of what happened. In fact, I would have been so angry to see the attack, I would have been at the front door of the owners having a conversation.

A pit bull was loose in my neighborhood and the owner was chasing him down my street. My kids were outside playing and I let him know I did not want his dog near my kids again. You just never know when one is going to attack.

The fact that the dog attacked a cat does not indicate that the dog will be aggressive towards humans. Animal aggression is different from human aggression. Plus, it is true that all terriers were bred to catch small game rats, squirrels, moles, etc. If the dog is not well trained it will attack small animals such as a cat.

However, I would call animal control and request an investigation. Any dog that is allowed to wander without a leash is a concern especially one that just killed the neighbors pet.

The fact that the dog attacked a cat does not indicate that the dog will be aggressive towards humans. Animal aggression is different from human aggression. Plus, it is true that all terriers were bred to catch small game rats, squirrels, moles, etc. If the dog is not well trained it will attack small animals such as a cat.

:iagree: Absolutely.

There are many, many breeds which are generally not safe with cats or other small animals but are absolutely & most wonderfully fine with people. Greyhounds, german shepherds, huskies, rotties are quite notorious for having strong prey drive but it crops up in many other breeds. I've known golden retrievers which had to be placed in a cat free home because they would stalk, chase and kill cats.

PP is correct that terriers were bred for hunting rats, badgers, possums etc. They will often go after a cat as well.

Killing a cat is NOT an indicator of human aggression. That would need to be assessed by a certified Animal Behaviorist (not just any trainer or vet).

http://www.animalbehavior.org/ABSAppliedBehavior/caab-directory

Many dogs will also go after livestock but they're complete marshmallows with people. These behavior patterns are very, very different.

Of course any person who knows their dog likes to chase or attack cats/bunnies/chickens etc should keep them under control at all times. Sounds like this dog was not under the control of their owners. THAT is a reasonable issue for animal control to purse.

Edited by hornblower

Just because the dog hates cats doesn't indicate he is a threat to your children.

I had a 200lb English Mastiff and he detested other animals, including dogs and cats. Once he got into "kill animal mode" nothing could stop him. Several times he escaped our backyard and ran into our neighbor's house after her cats. We were very fortunate that she was an understanding woman and we finally figured out a solution.

HOWEVER, the English Mastiff LOVED children. He tried to kill many cats and other small animals during his life, but he was the best child-therapy dog ever. Any child that was afraid of dogs could come over and he would literally crawl toward them on his belly so they could get over their fear of dogs.

Edited by jadedone80

I'm probly not a good person to respond, but I have been attacked by a pitbull that the owners swore was not aggressive.

I've had to put down other dogs for killing other animals, by law. In our area if a dog attacks and kills animal it has to be put down!

I have 7 cats, all indoors now (due to hawks increasing in our area and trying to attack the cats). Anyway, when they were outside, we had and still have numerous people walking their dogs on the access road behind our house. No dogs ever came after our cats or even strained against their leashes to come after our cats. There were many different kinds of breeds of dogs but non showed agression to the cats. If I saw a dog attacking a cat, I would def. have the police out. I just would not trust that dog again., maybe next time, they might see a small child as "prey".

I've had to put down other dogs for killing other animals, by law. In our area if a dog attacks and kills animal it has to be put down!

That's such poppycock. Not you - the laws.

Livestock guardian dogs such as Great Pyrs and Maremmas will kill a fox, wolf and coyote without hesitation. But they do not harm their herd or flock. Geeee? I wonder how the farmers entrust their herds to these KILLER dogs??? :001_rolleyes:

It's a shame when people who don't understand dogs at all make up ridiculous rules.

I've calmed down a bit from this morning. The biggest thing that bothers me right now is that the owners/parents are trusting their young son to control these dogs. He obviously cannot and I do want something done about that. I would hate for any animal to be put down but it was pretty scary this morning to know this pitbull went into the neighbors home and took their cat. I just keep wondering what would have happened if he had encountered their two year old child instead.

. I just keep wondering what would have happened if he had encountered their two year old child instead.

Possibly this (don't worry, it's not gross or frightening or anything like that.) It's a funny. :)

Look - I'm all with people being responsible. I like many European laws where dogs are allowed all over but certain breeds of dogs or dogs which have shown some aggression need to be muzzled. I think ALL people with pet dogs should attend several obedience classes with their dogs & should continue to train them throughout their lives. I think dogs should always be supervised by teens/adults who know what they're doing. But I do think it's premature to assume that just because a dog attacks a cat that they pose a risk to a child. They may. Or they may not.

(I'm all for spay/neuter btw. Of the dogs & the loser dog owners. :D)

I would recommend carrying a large mag light at a minimum when you or your kids are outside at least until the dog is no longer in the neighborhood.

I have had a huskey that would go after other animals (anything from a small rat to a cow or buffalo), but not people and not other dogs. Pit bulls have often been known to come after people. I do think there is a big difference in the breeds in how dangerous they are to people.

(I'm all for spay/neuter btw. Of the dogs & the loser dog owners. :D)

I have to say, I've been looking around the last couple of weeks, after noticing a pit bull that someone was walking... was so not.... neutered. I've seen maybe 6 pitbulls in the last 2 weeks.... and not one of them was neutered.

If an animal came into my house and grabbed my cat... sorry.... but I'd want/try to kill it.... I don't care if it was a jack russell or a pit... or a dear ole lab....

I do believe that every pet owner should have some training for how to control their pet.... and while I'm not popular around here probably with my "no pits"... I think that if they are going to be allowed.... they should be neutered (takes away part of fun of prancing them around???) and they should be walked on a leash... by an adult... and hopefully some sort of muzzle would be an extra precaution...

:D

I think Pit Bulls get a very bad rap. I have owned dogs all of my life, and ANY dog can be trained. What if this dog had been a Golden Retriever? It wouldn't have been as upsetting because you always seem to hear the GOOD things about those breeds.(Where in fact, Goldens have a higher bite rate then Pit Bulls do).

This dog needed to be on a leash, to start. And of course, because he attacked a cat, does NOT mean he would ever attack a human. Some dogs, any dog, are just not good with cats.

Unfortunately, Pit Bulls are owned by people who want a "status". And these poor dogs suffer for it. Many of them end up in shelters, or euthanized because they were brought up by the wrong owners.

You can own ANY dog, and without proper training and boundaries, you can turn that dog into a vicious animal.

FTR, I know many many people who own Pit bulls, and they are the SWEETEST dog you would ever want to meet.

The dog attacking the cat is not a reason to have him taken away. If he had bit a human, that is a different story.

I am sure seeing this was very disturbing. If you feel unsafe with your children around the dog, make sure that dog is on a leash at ALL TIMES, or confined to his own yard.

I do believe that every pet owner should have some training for how to control their pet.... and while I'm not popular around here probably with my "no pits"... I think that if they are going to be allowed.... they should be neutered (takes away part of fun of prancing them around???) and they should be walked on a leash... by an adult... and hopefully some sort of muzzle would be an extra precaution...

:D

I'll join you and be unpopular. I know that there are myths about pits having "locking jaws" and "superior jaw strength". What is NOT a myth is that pits were bred to bite and HANG ON, no matter what. So, while goldens or yorkies or labs or poodles <====insert your favorite/least favorite dog breed here, may bite more often, their bite is usually less devastating than a pit bull bite (or any of the bully breeds).

What a scary experience in your neighborhood! Poor kitty :(

If any dog came into my house and attacked either my cat or dog, it would be dead. It is that simple.

Where we lived in FL, animal attacks got you a warning the first time, and then you got placed on the dangerous animal list and had to get special insurance and keep your animal muzzled while out.

I don't like pitbulls and will none of us will visit a house with them. I am not interested in finding out how it smells my dog or cat on me and decides I am prey too.

While it is true, some dogs and cats don't get along, they're not born with that loathing of each other. We raised our dog to get along with cats, and they get along perfectly. We have three cats and one dog and even though he is outnumbered, he is still fine. I know other people who have cats and dogs also.

True, aggression towards a cat doesn't show aggression towards humans, but it is not a good sign either. I believe cats have just as much of a right to be alive as humans do, so why should the dog be allowed to kill it and get away with it because "dogs hate cats"?

I understand, some dogs are more aggressive than others, but to go into someones house and get the cat is a whole other story!

Until you can get a hold of animal control, I would keep your kids inside, but I'm sure you already figured that out.

Poor kitty and good luck! :grouphug:

Edited by BeatleMania

Wow. I'd want this dog gone. The fact that the boy who is regularly walking this dog (and others!!) isn't able to control them is a problem. Even if the dog has no aggression towards humans, he can't go around killing other people's pets!! And going IN someone's house? I mean, really.

Owners need to control their dogs, period. Animal aggression could or could not be an indicator of dangerousness towards humans, but... are we really going to take that chance? I have a dog who does NOT like other dogs, period. She gets along with cats, hamsters, birds... but she will fight other dogs. However she would never hurt a human. If I walk her, I keep very tight control over her. I wouldn't want her to get in a fight and hurt herself or someone else's pet! Especially since she is 95 pounds and could really hurt a small dog. (And then I have another dog who has bitten before and is under strict control).

FWIW, my dogs are labs. I've known aggressive dogs of all breeds, and in fact would trust my child more with a big dog than with a small dog, since small dogs are more likely to bite. The "problem" with pit bulls is that irresponsible people own them and train them to be mean. The breed itself can be some of the best family dogs.

Guest janainaz
I think Pit Bulls get a very bad rap. I have owned dogs all of my life, and ANY dog can be trained. What if this dog had been a Golden Retriever? It wouldn't have been as upsetting because you always seem to hear the GOOD things about those breeds.(Where in fact, Goldens have a higher bite rate then Pit Bulls do).

This dog needed to be on a leash, to start. And of course, because he attacked a cat, does NOT mean he would ever attack a human. Some dogs, any dog, are just not good with cats.

Unfortunately, Pit Bulls are owned by people who want a "status". And these poor dogs suffer for it. Many of them end up in shelters, or euthanized because they were brought up by the wrong owners.

You can own ANY dog, and without proper training and boundaries, you can turn that dog into a vicious animal.

FTR, I know many many people who own Pit bulls, and they are the SWEETEST dog you would ever want to meet.

The dog attacking the cat is not a reason to have him taken away. If he had bit a human, that is a different story.

I am sure seeing this was very disturbing. If you feel unsafe with your children around the dog, make sure that dog is on a leash at ALL TIMES, or confined to his own yard.

It is very true that behavior in any given breed of dog is affected by the treatment and training from the owners, but unfortunately many people who own pit bulls seem to be young, egomaniac boys. If a pit bull is going to be owned as a pet, it should be by a responsible, well-informed, mature person. An attack from a pit bull is not like being attacked by a chihuahua.

Here's a link about dog bites - pit bulls are at the top of the list of dog breeds most likely to attack:

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html

make sure that dog is on a leash at ALL TIMES,

I have been bitten by dogs 4 times in my life, and two of them were when the dog was on a leash and I was minding my own business.

Another time, a malamute walking down the street on a leash lunged at my son's face. The owner jerked back and I threw myself in between (I was already moving that way because I did not like the look in that dog's eye), and the owner just walked on. If it were my dog, I'd have had her on her back in a flash, in her face with a finger on her nose really roaring a growly reprimand through clenched teeth.

Well, keep in mind this dog, if it does go after a child, will not be easy to stop.

This is what is worrisome. My dh said he feels very small because he couldn't stop the dog. We've been looking and talking to people all over the neighborhood and so far noone seems to know anything.:glare:

I've owned a pitbull in the past and have one now so what I'm saying is nothing against the breed. Any dog that will go into someone else's home is at risk of doing harm (just like any other uninvited visitor). But even more concerning is the owner's response (or lack of a response). If one of my pets were to do such a thing while my child was walking it I'd address the problem right away. The fact that it didn't stop even when your husband was there means that it isn't under any sort of control and isn't used to being controlled. Although I do think even older aggressive dogs can be taught by the right owner. Pets are not children or status symbols and some people shouldn't ever have pets. And all animals should be spayed or neutered.

This is what is worrisome. My dh said he feels very small because he couldn't stop the dog. We've been looking and talking to people all over the neighborhood and so far noone seems to know anything.:glare:

Your DH is a hero for doing what he did. He tried to help a defenseless animal. It took courage and strength to try and stop the attack. He shouldn't be feeling small at all.

Let me post some myths about Pit Bulls:

MYTH: All Pit Bulls are mean and vicious.

It is reported on temperament tests conducted by the American Temperament Test Society that Pit Bulls had a passing rate of 82% or better -- compared to only 77% of the general dog population.

MYTH: A Pit Bull that shows aggression towards an animal will go for people next.

"Many working breeds have antipathy towards other animals - coonhounds go mad at the sight of a raccoon, foxhounds will not hesitate to tear a dog-like fox to shreds, greyhounds live to chase and maul rabbits and even dog-like coyotes. Even the ever-friendly beagle will slaughter a rabbit, given the chance.

And yet the greyhound, coon and foxhound and beagle are among the friendliest of breeds towards humans. And it is the same with the pit bulldog. His work through the years has been control of other animals - never humans. A correct pit bull is more often than not submissive toward all humans, and adores children.

A pit bull that snarls, lunges or growls at non-threatening humans is NOT typical of the breed." (Written by Diane Jessup)

MYTH: American Pit Bull Terriers have 1600 P.S.I. in jaw pressure

Dr. Lehr Brisbin of the University of Georgia states, "To the best of our knowledge, there are no published scientific studies that would allow any meaningful comparison to be made of the biting power of various breeds of dogs.

There are, moreover, compelling technical reasons why such data describing biting power in terms of "pounds per square inch" can never be collected in a meaningful way. All figures describing biting power in such terms can be traced to either unfounded rumor or, in some cases, to newspaper articles with no foundation in factual data."

MYTH: American Pit Bull Terriers lock their jaws.

Dr. Brisbin: "The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of pit bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different than that of any breed of dog.

There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of "locking mechanism" unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier.

Also from this site:(The one that is referred to most by Dog Breeders)

www.dogwatch.net

The top 4 biters by breed are German Shepherds, Rottweillers, Cocker Spaniels, and Golden Retrievers.

So there are many misinformed people out there. I symapthize with what happened to the OP. But ANY dog could have done this. Please do not blame it on the breed. Is a Pit Bull bite worse then a Golden? No. It all depends on how agressive that dog is. ANY dog can do severe damage.

And someone mentioned a dog lunging at her while on a leash. That is irresponsible dog ownership and poor training. But the fact still remains that ALL dogs that are not on their own property, should be leashed(And muzzled if need be) at ALL times.

I have been around dogs all of my life. I have even owned pit bulls myself. I feel so bad for this breed that gets so much negative attention when they are really just a wonderful dog!

I guess I am going to be in the minority.

Guest janainaz

It is reported on temperament tests conducted by the American Temperament Test Society that Pit Bulls had a passing rate of 82% or better -- compared to only 77% of the general dog population.

MYTH: A Pit Bull that shows aggression towards an animal will go for people next.

"Many working breeds have antipathy towards other animals - coonhounds go mad at the sight of a raccoon, foxhounds will not hesitate to tear a dog-like fox to shreds, greyhounds live to chase and maul rabbits and even dog-like coyotes. Even the ever-friendly beagle will slaughter a rabbit, given the chance.

And yet the greyhound, coon and foxhound and beagle are among the friendliest of breeds towards humans. And it is the same with the pit bulldog. His work through the years has been control of other animals - never humans. A correct pit bull is more often than not submissive toward all humans, and adores children.

A pit bull that snarls, lunges or growls at non-threatening humans is NOT typical of the breed." (Written by Diane Jessup)

Dr. Lehr Brisbin of the University of Georgia states, "To the best of our knowledge, there are no published scientific studies that would allow any meaningful comparison to be made of the biting power of various breeds of dogs.

There are, moreover, compelling technical reasons why such data describing biting power in terms of "pounds per square inch" can never be collected in a meaningful way. All figures describing biting power in such terms can be traced to either unfounded rumor or, in some cases, to newspaper articles with no foundation in factual data."

Dr. Brisbin: "The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of pit bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different than that of any breed of dog.

There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of "locking mechanism" unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier.

Also from this site:(The one that is referred to most by Dog Breeders)

www.dogwatch.net

The top 4 biters by breed are German Shepherds, Rottweillers, Cocker Spaniels, and Golden Retrievers.

So there are many misinformed people out there. I symapthize with what happened to the OP. But ANY dog could have done this. Please do not blame it on the breed. Is a Pit Bull bite worse then a Golden? No. It all depends on how agressive that dog is. ANY dog can do severe damage.

And someone mentioned a dog lunging at her while on a leash. That is irresponsible dog ownership and poor training. But the fact still remains that ALL dogs that are not on their own property, should be leashed(And muzzled if need be) at ALL times.

I have been around dogs all of my life. I have even owned pit bulls myself. I feel so bad for this breed that gets so much negative attention when they are really just a wonderful dog!

I guess I am going to be in the minority.

Yes, with the proper owner, the pit bull dog breed CAN be wonderful. I have two close friends who own pit bulls and their dogs are gentle and sweet. BUT many people who own pit bulls do so irresponsibly. The way that a pit bull bites is equivalent to that of a shark. The problem IS with the dog owners and not just anyone should be able to own this breed of dog because of the severe damage that they have the potential to do. I hear more about the severity of pit bull attacks than any other breed of dog.

So, in response to the OP, I would want that aggressive dog out of my neighborhood. Clearly, the owners are ignorant and incapable of controlling their dog.

Yes, with the proper owner, the pit bull dog breed CAN be wonderful. I have two close friends who own pit bulls and their dogs are gentle and sweet. BUT many people who own pit bulls do so irresponsibly. The way that a pit bull bites is equivalent to that of a shark. The problem IS with the dog owners and not just anyone should be able to own this breed of dog because of the severe damage that they have the potential to do. I hear more about the severity of pit bull attacks than any other breed of dog.

:iagree: This is true with ANY dog:001_smile: But the fact that you "hear" about the severity of the pit bull bite, proves my point of all the negative publicity this poor breed gets.

I feel quite silly, quoting myself, but this was my point 2 pages back!

I'll join you and be unpopular. I know that there are myths about pits having "locking jaws" and "superior jaw strength". What is NOT a myth is that pits were bred to bite and HANG ON, no matter what. So, while goldens or yorkies or labs or poodles <====insert your favorite/least favorite dog breed here, may bite more often, their bite is usually less devastating than a pit bull bite (or any of the bully breeds).

What a scary experience in your neighborhood! Poor kitty :(

The FACT is that they are tenacious dogs, bred to bite and NOT LET GO. Of course there are well trained, well loved, well behaved pit bulls. I have met them. I've also watched 2 separate pit bulls stalk my toddling daughter like prey on 2 separate occasions. Overall, I do not trust these dogs.

Directly from Pit Bull Rescue Central:

An All-American Dog: Breed History

Humans have created dog breeds by emphasizing desirable traits and eliminating unwanted ones. It is no different with pit-bull-type dogs. In the same way that Labradors were bred to retrieve birds, pit bulls were originally bred for dog fighting and bull and bear baiting.

With SO many dogs out there needing homes, I cannot understand why people would go out of their way to get a dog that's very nature is fighting!

To the OP, your dh should be proud of himself.

www.dogwatch.net

Other sites disagree. I know there are stats on bites per year. I'm more interested in fatalities per dog year and bites per dog year requiring medical attention (most dog bites are nips and scares).

Dog years are valuable because they help you assess the dangerousness of breeds....a rare dog with only 8000 in the US might have a lot more "bites per dog" than Labs, of which there seem to be one on every corner, even if Labs account for the highest raw number of bites.

And of course owners who cannot control their dog, shouldn't have them. There is no reason a cat-killer that needs to be threatened with furniture to stop attacking should be out and about without a muzzle unless an extremely stout person with a stout leash and a attitude of vigilance is in control.

I think it would be safe to say that ANY breed of dog that attacks a helpless animal, whether going into their home and getting it or seeing it on the street should be watched closely and it should be mandatory that the owner take the dog to training lessons. Many animal shelters have them. Some even have free ones. The ones that aren't free aren't that expensive.

That being said, the dog may not deserve to be euthanized, but the owner should get in some kind of trouble for allowing a boy to be walking a dog with that kind of strength. Especially since someone in her (OP) neighborhood said the boy was walking two of them at one point.

Whether that breed is more aggressive than other breeds, no one knows. Many people have many different views. I believe aggression mostly, if not fully, depends on how the dog was treated and trained by the owner. Animals, including humans are born with instinct, but can't instinct be overrun by "training"? If I may use the PS education as an example :) Humans are born with a love of learning, and PS not always, but a lot of the time, will turn that love into a loathing. Homeschooling, however, nourishes that "instinct".

That is just my two cents.

Your DH is a hero for doing what he did. He tried to help a defenseless animal. It took courage and strength to try and stop the attack. He shouldn't be feeling small at all.

Thanks!! I've been telling him all day that I think he was awesome. You could hear the neighbor yelling at her dh and he just kept saying there was nothing he could do.:001_huh: I would have liked it if he tried to help my dh. (but that's probably another thread)

Whether that breed is more aggressive than other breeds, no one knows. Many people have many different views. I believe aggression mostly, if not fully, depends on how the dog was treated and trained by the owner. Animals, including humans are born with instinct, but can't instinct be overrun by "training"? If I may use the PS education as an example :) Humans are born with a love of learning, and PS not always, but a lot of the time, will turn that love into a loathing. Homeschooling, however, nourishes that "instinct".

:iagree:

Guest janainaz

This is my main issue and observation:

Criminals choose pit bulls

In 2006, the Journal of Interpersonal Violence published a study that focused on Ohio dog owners. The results showed that criminals are more likely to own vicious dogs. For the purposes of the study, researchers used agreed definitions of "vicious dogs" found within local ordinances. All ordinances included pit bulls because Ohio state law automatically declares pit bulls "vicious." The report is best summarized by one of its authors, Jaclyn Barnes:

"Owners of vicious dogs who have been cited for failing to register a dog (or) failing to keep a dog confined on the premises ... are more than nine times more likely to have been convicted for a crime involving children, three times more likely to have been convicted of domestic violence ... and nearly eight times more likely to be charged with drug (crimes) than owners of low-risk licensed dogs."

There is no denying that dangerous people are attracted to dangerous dogs. These same people also have a higher likelihood of being irresponsible owners. Pit bulls are the dog of choice for criminals and are often used in drug and gang-related activities. Police officers are frequently forced to shoot dangerous pit bulls when serving search warrants as well. The combination of criminals and pit bulls exponentially increases the danger these dogs pose to communities.

Here's the link:

http://www.dogsbite.org/dangerous-dogs-pitbull-owners.htm

I just wanted to say I am not using this thread to bash pitbulls. I grew up with one and she was a very sweet dog. The problem was this dog was big, uncontrolled and hard to stop. My dh said he probably hurt himself more than he did the dog and that scared him because he worried what he would do if the dog ever attacked one of us. The boy should not have been walking him alone as he could not keep him on a leash or keep him from entering someone's home and attacking their cat.

pit bulls were originally bred for dog fighting and bull and bear baiting.

Because of the breed’s undeserved negative media image, pit bull owners have to be even more careful and responsible than the average dog owner. They must also be aware of the myths (urban legends, really) surrounding their dogs. Owners must be well educated about bully breeds, because they will likely face comments from friends, families, and neighbors. Unfortunately, some people obtain pit bulls for the wrong reasons—to

boost their own image, for dog fighting, or for backyard breeding—which makes life difficult for responsible owners. The good news is that pit bulls are now more popular than ever, and each good owner has an opportunity to reshape the breed’s image in positive ways. When you adopt a pit bull, you adopt the most energetic, intelligent, and loyal friend you’ll ever have, but you also take up a responsibility to represent the entire breed.

It’s unfortunate that one of the original purposes of the pit bull was dog fighting, but it is a fact that cannot be denied or ignored. Even more unfortunate is the fact that they are still chosen for this purpose, even though it is illegal in all fifty states and, in certain instances, as the Michael Vick case illustrates, a federal crime. Adopting a pit bull, loving it, and training it as a breed ambassador are the most important things any of us civilians can do to combat people like Vick. Accordingly, PBRC is committed to educating current and potential pit bull owners so they have a better understanding of their dog and thus provide responsible and caring ownership. PBRC does not wish to overemphasize the fighting aspect of the breed’s history, a history that does not negate their various positive traits or their scientifically proven gentleness toward humans. But we do acknowledge the importance of respecting the breed’s history. This is not to suggest that pit bulls are “different†or “unique†in a way that makes them dangerous. Those who claim that pit bulls are “different†fail to understand that all dog breeds are, in some way, different from each other. That’s what makes them dog breeds! (Besides, many breeds were historically bred to fight other animals. Pit bulls are not unique in this sense.) To put it simply, no matter what kind of dog you have, understanding its breed is the first step toward being a good dog owner. By nature, pit bulls are intelligent, fun loving, and affectionate. It’s our job to help them fulfill that potential.

To add:

*â€Pit bull†is NOT a breed. It's a generic term often used to describe all dogs with similar traits and characteristics known to the public as "pit bulls." When we use the term “pit bull†here, it should be understood to encompass American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, and Staffordshire Bull Terriers.

Pit bulls are wonderful, loving animals that deserve the chance to have a good life.

Taken from http://www.pbrc.net/breedinfo.html

This is a very good site to obtain information from. I do not think anyone is arguing the point of why a "Pit Bull" was "originally" bred. But if anyone is going to own a dog, and this means ANY dog, you must be a responsible pet owner. Proper training, spaying/neutering, socialization(people AND animals from a very young age) , vet care, and LOTS of love and attention. You cannot obtain any dog, and just leave it chained up in the backyard for 24 hours a day. Dogs are social creatures and want to interact with their pack.

Punish the deed, not the breed:001_smile:

dogcat-358x250.jpg

I just wanted to say I am not using this thread to bash pitbulls. I grew up with one and she was a very sweet dog. The problem was this dog was big, uncontrolled and hard to stop. My dh said he probably hurt himself more than he did the dog and that scared him because he worried what he would do if the dog ever attacked one of us. The boy should not have been walking him alone as he could not keep him on a leash or keep him from entering someone's home and attacking their cat.

:iagree:This was irresponsible pet ownership. Unfortunately that poor dog is suffering from the owners neglect of this poor baby.

I'd call back and demand an officer come to your house and take a report from you and your neighbor.

I'd also canvas the neighborhood to see if anyone knows this dog & boy.

Take pics of your dh's injury, even tho' it wasn't a dog bite. The injury would not have happened without the dog attacking the cat.

:grouphug:

ETA: Love your avatar, BTW!

Good advice, unsinkable. It is possible that the dog will go after kids.

In our old neighborhood, a pitbull went after a cat then later went after an 8 yo boy. People got him off the boy, he ran into someone's house then ran out and jumped on a woman's backside. Police were there by then, they had to shoot the dog finally.

Good advice, unsinkable. It is possible that the dog will go after kids.

In our old neighborhood, a pitbull went after a cat then later went after an 8 yo boy. People got him off the boy, he ran into someone's house then ran out and jumped on a woman's backside. Police were there by then, they had to shoot the dog finally.

This was not the dogs fault. This is exactly my point of inexcusable behavior on the OWNERS part. Irresponsible pet ownership. When you adopt/purchase a dog, you are making a committment to this dog. This is just like having a child. It irritates me to no end when I see dogs running around unleashed, or dogs tied up in the backyard. Better yet, the excuse of "Oh my dog got out when I opened the door", "It broke it's chain" "It jumped the fence" "The leash broke". It doesn't matter what the excuse is, it still comes down to the owners fault. Not the dog. Any dog incident that gets taken to court, it isn't the dog that gets sued. It's the owner.

I volunteer my time at a shelter. And it just breaks my heart to see these poor dogs come in. To no fault of their own.

Guest janainaz
This was not the dogs fault. This is exactly my point of inexcusable behavior on the OWNERS part. Irresponsible pet ownership. When you adopt/purchase a dog, you are making a committment to this dog. This is just like having a child. It irritates me to no end when I see dogs running around unleashed, or dogs tied up in the backyard. Better yet, the excuse of "Oh my dog got out when I opened the door", "It broke it's chain" "It jumped the fence" "The leash broke". It doesn't matter what the excuse is, it still comes down to the owners fault. Not the dog. Any dog incident that gets taken to court, it isn't the dog that gets sued. It's the owner.

I volunteer my time at a shelter. And it just breaks my heart to see these poor dogs come in. To no fault of their own.

It does not even matter whose fault it is. I'm sorry, but a child or a human is more important than a dog. If a dog has been owned by someone irresponsible and is a potential danger to a human person, something needs to be done to prevent a horrible accident. When I see a pit bull or any dog not on a leash at the park, or in my neighborhood, I am very cautious. Big, strong dogs can do big, strong damage. I think the point has been made tha it's not the dog's fault, but a human life should be protected first. I'm not in any rush to go adopt a pit bill when I have children.

We went to a dog shelter years ago and there were 3 pit bulls locked up outside. We were warned by the lady that worked at the shelter to stay away from them, especially with our kids. Is it the fault of those dogs that they have some behavior issues? No, certainly not. But that does not change the fact that they are not safe to hang out with kids.

It does not even matter whose fault it is. I'm sorry, but a child or a human is more important than a dog. If a dog has been owned by someone irresponsible and is a potential danger to a human person, something needs to be done to prevent a horrible accident. When I see a pit bull or any dog not on a leash at the park, or in my neighborhood, I am very cautious. Big, strong dogs can do big, strong damage. I think the point has been made tha it's not the dog's fault, but a human life should be protected first. I'm not in any rush to go adopt a pit bill when I have children.

We went to a dog shelter years ago and there were 3 pit bulls locked up outside. We were warned by the lady that worked at the shelter to stay away from them, especially with our kids. Is it the fault of those dogs that they have some behavior issues? No, certainly not. But that does not change the fact that they are not safe to hang out with kids.

I hope nobody thinks that I am advocating for people to go out and get a pit bull. That is certainly a personal decision. But I just wanted to provide people with proper facts, and not myths about this breed.

My hope is that someday we will see shelters empty of neglected animals.

To the OP, my apologies for getting off track. I hope you get things worked out with your neighbor.

I hope nobody thinks that I am advocating for people to go out and get a pit bull. That is certainly a personal decision. But I just wanted to provide people with proper facts, and not myths about this breed.

My hope is that someday we will see shelters empty of neglected animals.

To the OP, my apologies for getting off track. I hope you get things worked out with your neighbor.

I agree.

My point for OP was that a dog that is able to get free and attack a cat may attack other living things (like kids).

In the example I gave, the dog was in our neighborhood living with the parents of the dog's owner because his city had outlawed them. I don't think the dog's owner was a reputable person who kept the dog as a pet, I think it was more for protection.

The dog got loose and chased the boy who was a hefty 8 yo. People were able to pull the dog off the boy after a long couple of minutes. The dog was going after his head and neck but the boy was able to protect himself til he got help. The dog was restrained and being led into its house when it got loose again, tore into another home, chased a woman out of that house and latched onto her bottom. She climbed up on a car hood with that dog holding on. He was chasing other people around. The responding officer had no choice but to shoot finally.

I have a healthy fear of dogs running loose, especially anything resembling a pit bull....borne of experience. If the dog isn't on a leash or a known dog, you have no idea what the dog is like or might do. I agree with unsinkable here -- I'd make the police report.