Menu

I hope this little boy is found safe.

But they are getting the word out. That's why we can discuss it even though many of you do not live close to where he went missing.

True...and I just had a "DUH" moment. I was thinking about the Amber Alert and cars and such. Guess you can't tell people all over the place to be on the look out if you don't have a description of a car.

Originally I was thinking of the highway signs and such..but "DUH" there is no car description.

I was blond in my youth, I am red headed now...the box says so.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have conflicting feelings regarding school security. On the one hand, I never want to see this happen to another family. I grew up in the area and my sister attended the school; the whole thing is just heart-breaking. The schools will have to ramp up their security and for most, this will mean diverting significant resources from education to safety in these difficult financial times. So be it if we don't lose another child. On the other hand, when I picture the same security measures that our local high school has brought into the elementary and middle schools, it's not so much reassuring as it is depressing. The security guards at the high school represent to me all the things that could go wrong and the thought of them in the elementary schools is disheartening. I don't know if I am expressing this well and it probably sounds silly.

I totally get what you mean. Sad that it has come to this, and you wonder if it's necessary, but you don't want to risk that it might be!

Bah...semantics....I would think there would be something they could issue even if not called an amber alert. I mean really...mayhap no one saw him taken but jeez the kid has been missing days now...That's just me though....

The fact that he's been missing for days now is the most ominous thing. Cases like Jaycee Dugard, Elizabeth Smart and Shawn Hornbeck are rarities. Most abducted children are dead within 24-48 hours after they are taken.

I'm just heartsick about this, especially since I have a second grader in school (don't shoot me!) in the same school district, with the same security (or lack thereof). Normally I'm all in favor of the media butting out, but it makes me crazy thinking about whether this is a stranger danger issue (in which case I can't believe our school hasn't strengthened security or sent a memo home) or custodial interference, or, or. Assuming the stepmother is innocent, I feel terrible about how much criticism they are coming under for not getting on TV and crying for the media. It is appalling that we demand victims emote publicly for us.

This was one of the red flags for dh and I when we pulled our twins out of Kindergarten.

I found my 2 boys walking -- alone -- just the two of them -- at age 5 -- to the bathroom that was 100 feet away (I measured) from the Kinder classroom.

And, no, an adult did not have her head stuck out of the classroom keeping an eye on the kids. Other then my 2 walking back from the bathroom, the campus was quiet b/c everyone was in their classes.

On top of that, the school (supposedly broke) was having some fancy landscaping done so the campus was open and work men were coming in and out.

And the principal was completely dismissive towards me and dh. So was the teacher.

i'd love to email her now and say, "so, does this situation make you want to change your policies?!"

And, yes, these chaotic days were standard at our "good" school. They were called something fancy, I forget what now, but it got the kids into each other's classroom mixing and mingling. It was chaos. A perfect time for a predator to show up.

Can you tell I'm still mad 1.5 yrs. later? I'm furious. There's way too much "hoping for the best" at the schools. I need therapy.

Alley

I'm just heartsick about this, especially since I have a second grader in school (don't shoot me!) in the same school district, with the same security (or lack thereof). Normally I'm all in favor of the media butting out, but it makes me crazy thinking about whether this is a stranger danger issue (in which case I can't believe our school hasn't strengthened security or sent a memo home) or custodial interference, or, or. Assuming the stepmother is innocent, I feel terrible about how much criticism they are coming under for not getting on TV and crying for the media. It is appalling that we demand victims emote publicly for us.

I am sorry to hear this is going on in your community. So sad.

This is from an article about the family being quiet. I do find it strange, if true, that they're going to the gym etc.

KATU News extended an invitation to HormanĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s parents to speak to the media after a reporter found them at a local gym Wednesday after their workout.

But the HormanĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s drove off without responding to a question how the media could help.

Terri Horman, KyronĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s stepmother, hasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t been completely silent. She has spent some time on Facebook since Friday responding to posts from friends and talking about her workouts, which is more that Jensen said he finds unusual.

Ă¢â‚¬Å“What I know from being an investigator and dealing with parents in tragic situations like this - homicides, kidnappings, stuff like that - they just really couldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t much function other than to sit and wait for us to call,Ă¢â‚¬ he said.

Jensen said investigators could be asking the HormanĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s to be silent and to carry on with their lives as normal, but he said in his experience it is extremely difficult for families to be quiet and stay away from a search scene when a loved one, especially a child, is missing.

Here is the link. http://www.katu.com/news/local/96033344.html

This was one of the red flags for dh and I when we pulled our twins out of Kindergarten.

I found my 2 boys walking -- alone -- just the two of them -- at age 5 -- to the bathroom that was 100 feet away (I measured) from the Kinder classroom.

And, no, an adult did not have her head stuck out of the classroom keeping an eye on the kids. Other then my 2 walking back from the bathroom, the campus was quiet b/c everyone was in their classes.

On top of that, the school (supposedly broke) was having some fancy landscaping done so the campus was open and work men were coming in and out.

And the principal was completely dismissive towards me and dh. So was the teacher.

i'd love to email her now and say, "so, does this situation make you want to change your policies?!"

And, yes, these chaotic days were standard at our "good" school. They were called something fancy, I forget what now, but it got the kids into each other's classroom mixing and mingling. It was chaos. A perfect time for a predator to show up.

Can you tell I'm still mad 1.5 yrs. later? I'm furious. There's way too much "hoping for the best" at the schools. I need therapy.

Alley

:grouphug: I don't think you do. It is almost maddening when people you trust to keep your kids safe let you down.

We left school in part b/c the school could not understand that when my dd was on the floor, drooling, mouth smacking, verbally nonresponsive, with her arm shaking she was indeed having a seizure even though "her whole body wasn't shaking."

CW Jensen was with the Portland Police Bureau for 20 years and said statements from families donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t really help investigators, but they help the community thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s emotionally invested in a childĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s disappearance.

Yes, because that's what's important. :001_huh:

But the HormanĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s drove off without responding to a question how the media could help.

This is just inane. The mdia knows how to help. They don't need the parents (in their first child disappearance experience) to tell them (the news media that has dealt with this many times) how to help, and they are trying to make it sound like the parents are hurting the efforts.

Until there is ANY evidence that one of the parents is involved, we should all be concerned that they are bing treated this way by the media. Is this how we will want to be treated if this happens to us?

This is just inane. The mdia knows how to help. They don't need the parents (in their first child disappearance experience) to tell them (the news media that has dealt with this many times) how to help, and they are trying to make it sound like the parents are hurting the efforts.

Until there is ANY evidence that one of the parents is involved, we should all be concerned that they are bing treated this way by the media. Is this how we will want to be treated if this happens to us?

:iagree:

Anyone who knows people who frequently and regularly exercise (especially hard exercise), knows that most don't just stop during stressful times. It can be part of their coping mechanism, sometimes their only coping mechanism. Jensen's running of this piece shows exactly why they should be wary of talking to the press.

Anyone who knows people who frequently and regularly exercise (especially hard exercise), knows that most don't just stop during stressful times. It can be part of their coping mechanism, sometimes their only coping mechanism. Jensen's running of this piece shows exactly why they should be wary of talking to the press.

Absolutely.

Anyone who knows people who frequently and regularly exercise (especially hard exercise), knows that most don't just stop during stressful times. It can be part of their coping mechanism, sometimes their only coping mechanism.

And in times of great stress, exercise is one of the most important things you can do to maintain your sanity.

Well, you got me there!! I don't exercise, so I wouldn't know. :lol: Or should that be :blushing:?
:) It's the reporter who should have known better, or shown more grace.

CW Jensen was with the Portland Police Bureau for 20 years and said statements from families donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t really help investigators, but they help the community thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s emotionally invested in a childĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s disappearance.

Yes, because that's what's important. :001_huh:

:iagree:This piece left me thinking ill thoughts about Jensen and feeling even more empathy towards the family. The point of this piece seemed to be to plant seeds of doubt about the family. Mr. Jensen's self-serving interview was in no way helpful to anyone but himself. Do I sound irked?

In the latest report that Cadam posted the link to, it says "The search began after the boy did not come home on the school bus and his stepmother called 911 at about 3:45 p.m."

Would your first reaction to your child's bus not arriving home on time be to call 911? I would have called the bus company or school first, and if they didn't have a reasonable response (the bus had to take a detour because of a car accident and it was taking longer than usual to get the students home, or something along those lines) then I would call 911. Of course, maybe she did call the bus company or school and the article just isn't reporting that detail. It was just something that stood out to me.

Would your first reaction to your child's bus not arriving home on time be to call 911?
She called the school first, found out he'd been marked absent for the day and *then* called 911. This has been reported, and verified by the involved parties since the first day of the search. I haven't read the update in question, but, if that's what it says, it was either an oversight or a mistake on the writer's part.

ETA: The school secretary called 911, not the step-mother.

Edited by nmoira
accuracy

She called the school first, found out he'd been marked absent for the day and *then* called 911. This has been reported, and verified by the involved parties since the first day of the search. I haven't read the update in question, but, if that's what it says, it was either an oversight or a mistake on the writer's part.

Ok, thank you! I haven't read every article yet. I really hope he's ok, though at this point it's very hard to believe he is.

:iagree:This piece left me thinking ill thoughts about Jensen and feeling even more empathy towards the family. The point of this piece seemed to be to plant seeds of doubt about the family. Mr. Jensen's self-serving interview was in no way helpful to anyone but himself. Do I sound irked?

I totally agree. He's been in the eye of a scandal as I remember so you'd think he'd be more sensitive, but maybe not. :tongue_smilie:

Since he has a step-Mom I wonder if there is another set of parents involved in his life or that want to be involved. Has anything been said about that ? There are many cases of children being abducted by noncustodial parents and sometimes these abductions take place at the school the child attends. I wonder if that is a possibility in this case.

Alley

In some schools, there are children from Kindergarten or even Preschool to 8th grade in the same building.

Years ago, my dh worked for an organization that housed and counseled troubled teens that had been placed in the facility by the state. Some of these teens were known(but not always "officially" known) to be sexual predators and yet they were attending the public school. Of course, this means that these teenage sexual predators were in the same building with younger children. We should be aware that it is very likely that in a public school setting there ARE some kids that are sexual predators and it is unknown to the school staff,perhaps unknown to everyone .I would be concerned about this in a christian school too, because some troubled kids are there because they have been kicked out of the p.s.

Fortunately, the newer buildings are being constructed with bathrooms in the classroom for the young students to use so they do not have to leave the classroom and go down the hallway alone to use a restroom. But there are plenty of old school buildings still in use that only have bathroom facilities away from the classroom.

We should not think that predators are always adults. They come in all different ages.

Edited by Miss Sherry

Miss Sherry ~ I couldn't agree more with you. And, too, it can be kids from "good" environments/families who've been molested themselves and then start perpetrating on younger kids.

The school's blase attitude towards us blew me away. And my parents are still anti-hs and that blows me away too.

I have a friend whose son, 6, was pushed to take down his pants by another child who had, it turned out, been molested by the kid up the street. It had all been unknown to the parents, so how could the school possibly know. Of course, they wouldn't.

Where are people's brains???

Alley

They have some possible sightings of this boy with an older man in CA.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/96172734.html

"Detective Frank Fahrney of the Yreka Police Department said the sightings were reported this week, days after a psychic in Idaho reported the missing boy might be found there in the small northern California city."

Wow...if this turns out to be real....

I've always wondered about stuff like that... sure, there's a LOT of fake stuff out there, but... ???

If it's the right boy, I hope they catch the person/people and get him back safely.

They have some possible sightings of this boy with an older man in CA.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/96172734.html

It doesn't appear to be him.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/boy_spotted_in_walmart_is_not.html

Since he has a step-Mom I wonder if there is another set of parents involved in his life or that want to be involved. Has anything been said about that ? There are many cases of children being abducted by noncustodial parents and sometimes these abductions take place at the school the child attends. I wonder if that is a possibility in this case.
Both sets of parents and step parents were at a press conference this afternoon. His mother lives in Oregon, but not in Portland. From what I've gathered, she saw him regularly. She came up right after Kyron was reported missing.

I hope there's good news today.

Anything?

I can't fall asleep at night without thinking of this boy.

Alley

Alley,

I know what you mean. It is painful -- Ic an't imagine what his loved ones are going through.

I found a good article I am going to link in the next post.

This sounds like the perfect storm of delays -- to tragically awful results.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/kyron_horman_search_may_have_s.html#incart_rh

Beginning of article:

On the morning Kyron Horman was last seen, he was Skyline School's resident expert on red-eyed tree frogs at the school science fair. Then the second-grader vanished and was gone nearly seven hours before anyone noticed.

Kyron's stepmother met the school bus about 3:30 p.m., but the bespectacled 7-year-old wasn't aboard. She called Skyline, and the school secretary called 9-1-1. During the next 4 1/2 hours, authorities mobilized a full-scale search effort involving federal agents who specialize in child-abduction cases.

But by then it was almost nightfall. Time had long become the enemy.

This investigation really got going eight to 12 hours after it should have," said Clint Van Zandt, a former FBI profiler and Virginia-based security consultant. "Whatever happened to this little boy, by the time authorities really geared up, they were 12 hours behind the power curve.

"That is a long time to be behind in a case like this."

A confluence of factors meant searchers lost key hours:

Officials at Skyline School didn't notify the boy's parents after realizing he was absent. The initial report was given the "lowest priority" rating by emergency dispatchers. Rush-hour traffic Friday evening delayed arrival of trained searchers, who gathered first at the Multnomah County sheriff's patrol office in outer Northeast Portland, then traveled to the site. Getting to the school and Kyron's neighborhood, in the rural northwestern corner of Multnomah County, took more than a half-hour.

And though news organizations reported late Friday that Kyron was missing, authorities didn't issue a full news release until the following morning.

Once notified, Multnomah County authorities responded swiftly, but crucial hours already had been lost, Sheriff Dan Staton said.

"This is what is hugely disturbing to me," he told The Oregonian on Saturday. "The fact that you had a child in school and the last time the child was seen is at 9 in the morning -- there are concerns about that lag time. If the child had walked away from the school, the likelihood of finding him under those circumstances would have been extremely high.

"After five hours," the sheriff said, "you know as well as I do how far a child could walk on a roadway."

Here is a facebook page you can join. It posts all of the latest news stories from various sources.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Missing-Kyron-Horman/125336750831264

I did not suspect the step mother, but for some reason I found her behavior odd when they made a public statement. There was something about the constant blinking and I found it odd the way she was holding onto the bio mom and that the bio mom paid the step mom no attention. It's sad, everything about the story is sad. I'm not saying that I think she did it based on her appearance, just that I thought her behaviors were different from the rest. Maybe it's because she knows she is under such heavy suspicion from the public.

Having read these links -- suspension is falling on the step mother because she took a pic of him minutes before he vanished.

My next question would be: is she a photo freak -- like I am and takes tons and tons of photos? Because if her taking a photo is a rare occurrence I would be looking at her more closely if I were the investigators.

I've noticed that moms can really tend towards one or the other: they're taking photos often or sporadically and rarely. I wonder which kind of photographer-mom she is?

I just want to add: I've known wonderful step-moms. I don't think looking closely at her says anything negative about step-moms in general.

But having lived very close to the Scott and Lacy Peterson case -- she was preg. when I was -- it's also now second nature for me to first look at the family. (Because I was freaked out until it became obvious who did it. I thought someone "out there" was doing awful things to preg. women. Dh thought it was Scott from the beginning.)

Alley

Having read these links -- suspension is falling on the step mother because she took a pic of him minutes before he vanished.
Yeah, in front of his Science Fair project. I know I would have taken a picture in a similar situation. I'm saddened by what I see of people ready to accuse her... because of? I'm not even sure. Because they need to accuse someone? Because she didn't act right or look "right." Do most of us really have first hand experience with people in these situations and know what people have to do just to make it through the day? Think about people you know who have received sudden horrible news, like an unexpected death in the family. Some fall apart. Some immerse themselves in every little (even trivial) thing in an effort to keep it all inside them. Some don't cry until weeks or months later.

Maybe she is responsible for Kyron's disappearance (and don't think for a second that the police don't have people working on investigating her and other family members, teachers, school staff, etc.), but I'm not willing to publicly cast suspicion on her on the basis of an insufficient public display of grief or a trip to the gym.

I don't think anybody is. I simply said, "based on reading these links."

The links are implying there is some kind of similarity between what this step mom has done and what another mom did.

Statistically these situations are domestic -- not stranger based.

That's why I mentioned Scott Peterson. Our entire community was inundated w/ media because we were so close to the situation.

But I'm totally open to the situation not being based w/ anyone in the family. The girl who was taken from Lake Tahoe and inprisoned for 20 yrs. was close to our community too. And that step father had been wrongly accused. It was a creep who took the girl.

So I think people who care about the situation are looking at all possibilities at this point.

Alley

Yeah, in front of his Science Fair project. I know I would have taken a picture in a similar situation. I'm saddened by what I see of people ready to accuse her... because of? I'm not even sure. Because they need to accuse someone? Because she didn't act right or look "right." Do most of us really have first hand experience with people in these situations and know what people have to do just to make it through the day? Think about people you know who have received sudden horrible news, like an unexpected death in the family. Some fall apart. Some immerse themselves in every little (even trivial) thing in an effort to keep it all inside them. Some don't cry until weeks or months later.

Maybe she is responsible for Kyron's disappearance (and don't think for a second that the police don't have people working on investigating her and other family members, teachers, school staff, etc.), but I'm not willing to publicly cast suspicion on her on the basis of an insufficient public display of grief or a trip to the gym.

Amen! Any loving mom would have taken a picture of a child in front of a project that the child worked hard to complete and was so passionate about. Why would that be suspicious? I may not take a ton of pictures of my kids, but I do try to capture the biggies like this. Also, there was a sighting of him after she had left him, so why would the suspicion lie with the step-mom.

I can't stand the thought of one's reactions being the sole source of suspicion. The thought that she owes the paparazzi a "performance" is just sickening. I hate the way news people hound families who are dealing with tragic circumstances.

Amen! Any loving mom would have taken a picture of a child in front of a project that the child worked hard to complete and was so passionate about. Why would that be suspicious? I may not take a ton of pictures of my kids, but I do try to capture the biggies like this. Also, there was a sighting of him after she had left him, so why would the suspicion lie with the step-mom.

I can't stand the thought of one's reactions being the sole source of suspicion. The thought that she owes the paparazzi a "performance" is just sickening. I hate the way news people hound families who are dealing with tragic circumstances.

No matter what you do in this situation, you are wrong. If you talk to the press too much you have something to hide and are covering it; if you don't talk to them enough, you are hiding something. If you cry too much, you are faking to cover; if you don't cry enough, you must have done it. It couldn't be that people have different personalities and respond to these things differently?

I think people want it to be the step-mother, because the alternative is that someone else took this child, which makes you think about the fact that someone else could take your child.

In addressing reporters, Capt. Mike Shults said two questions were "pretty important" to answer about the boy's family.

First, Shults said, there's a reason the family is not out in the field helping with the search.

"We need them to be close and that was conveyed to them from the beginning," he said. "We need them to be right there so that if (investigators) have questions or they find evidence or if they're going in a direction that's totally wrong. ..."

"Their information is critical and they immediately knew that and immediately started assisting the sheriff's office to provide that information to us, which is exactly what we wanted them to do."

Shults also said he asked family members to maintain normal activities -- such as grocery shopping or going to the gym -- to help maintain their mental and physical health.

"Once we determined that this search could take some time, it was discussed what that really meant to them and how long this could be, knowing that the stress was going to be overwhelming and it could be important to keep their minds and bodies healthy," Shults said. "We need them to help us bring Kyron home."

Lindstrand said Shults addressed the issues "because if he was a viewer at home, those are the two questions he would want to know."

In addressing reporters, Capt. Mike Shults said two questions were "pretty important" to answer about the boy's family.

First, Shults said, there's a reason the family is not out in the field helping with the search.

"We need them to be close and that was conveyed to them from the beginning," he said. "We need them to be right there so that if (investigators) have questions or they find evidence or if they're going in a direction that's totally wrong. ..."

"Their information is critical and they immediately knew that and immediately started assisting the sheriff's office to provide that information to us, which is exactly what we wanted them to do."

Shults also said he asked family members to maintain normal activities -- such as grocery shopping or going to the gym -- to help maintain their mental and physical health.

"Once we determined that this search could take some time, it was discussed what that really meant to them and how long this could be, knowing that the stress was going to be overwhelming and it could be important to keep their minds and bodies healthy," Shults said. "We need them to help us bring Kyron home."

Lindstrand said Shults addressed the issues "because if he was a viewer at home, those are the two questions he would want to know."

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't read it before.

Well, it wasn't til the family was at the press conference that I thought the family. The stepmom's behavior was just SO off, imo. I would NEVER say anything like that though because *I* wouldn't want to be accused (and sometimes MY behavior is off in situations also).

But....

THIS suggests there is a dead little boy and probably it's from his stepmom's hands: http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article/kyron-hormans-stepmom-terri-moulton-horman-under-scrutiny-in-missing-child-case/19521940?icid=main|htmlws-main-w|dl2|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fcrime%2Farticle%2Fkyron-hormans-stepmom-terri-moulton-horman-under-scrutiny-in-missing-child-case%2F19521940

Well, it wasn't til the family was at the press conference that I thought the family. The stepmom's behavior was just SO off, imo. I would NEVER say anything like that though because *I* wouldn't want to be accused (and sometimes MY behavior is off in situations also).

But....

THIS suggests there is a dead little boy and probably it's from his stepmom's hands: http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article/kyron-hormans-stepmom-terri-moulton-horman-under-scrutiny-in-missing-child-case/19521940?icid=main|htmlws-main-w|dl2|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fcrime%2Farticle%2Fkyron-hormans-stepmom-terri-moulton-horman-under-scrutiny-in-missing-child-case%2F19521940

oh nooo.... that poor sweet boy... :crying:

But....

I saw that a little while ago and.....well, my heart just sank.