Menu

WWYD? Charging Error on Books

I am just wondering....

Yesterday I went to Half Price Books for the first time. When the checkout clerk said the amount it seemed wrong, but DD was having a very rare public meltdown so I honestly just wanted to pay and get out of there. Tonight I happened across the receipt and was looking at it and noticed that I wasn't charged for three books - my total should have been more than double what I paid.

I mentioned it to DH who agreed I need to go pay for the books. I called the store to ask what to do and the clerk told me I was very lucky and didn't need to come in. I told him I needed to pay for these books. He was stunned.

Honestly, what would you do? Call it lucky or go back and pay? I guess I'm asking if DH and I are really that weird that even the salesclerk at the store thinks we don't need to pay for the books.

I'd still go back and pay. No matter what someone else says, even the clerk, it's the right thing to do.

I once went into the bank to exchange a ton of small bills from a fundraiser. When I got home and recounted, I had $200 that I knew wasn't mine! I called the bank and they had the teller count her drawer. Sure enough she was short $200. They were so appreciative that I would be honest.

When we show that to people, it can mean more to others than it does for our own conscience. In my case, it saved that teller's job.

I've had charging errors before that I have reported. And often they have told me to just keep the product. I figure that I've done my job by reporting it. I might then ask to check it out with a manager. I'd want to make sure that it really was ok with the store. But if a manager told me not to pay then I would consider it a public service expense on their part - their generosity is making sure that we definitely patronize their store again and will tell my friends too!

I bought paint and painter's tape and a long, awkward board for shelving just the other day. I was having trouble holding everything, so to carry my purchases to the check-out lane, I slipped the tape on my wrist like a bracelet, and forgot about it when it came time to pay. I felt it on my wrist as I was shifting the weight around to get into my car. I went right back and paid, and, yes, the clerk was very surprised and thanked me.

I'm sure that Half Price Books will not suffer for the loss of the profit on your three books. But if it would ease your conscience, by all means, go back and pay for them. It's not weird at all to want to do what's right. Even if it is weird, who cares?

Oh, I'm going to go back and pay, don't worry. I've made it an issue with DD from early on that you have to buy things before you can have them - so much so that she wants her produce twist tie scanned if she's holding an extra at checkout time. I just was so surprised that the clerk essentially told me "lucky break, wink, wink" that I wondered if I really was weird for wanting to pay.

I went to the Land's End warehouse sale last summer (with 5 kids in tow). The place is a madhouse. Anyways, When I got home I discovered one of the dresses I had picked out was stuck in the folded up sun cover of the stroller (both are navy blue so I never noticed it). Since I was an hour and half away and my 2 little were napping I call the corporate office about how to go about paying for it. After about 15 minutes on hold, she came back and thank me repeatedly for trying to correct the mistake but that no one in the office had ever heard of someone trying to do that (pay over the phone) and said to call the sale manager (it's held in a huge park). Sale manager also never encountered such an incident and said to keep it as a thank you gift from Land's End.

I thought about going back and trying to pay for it but it's an hour and half drive each way, It take anywhere from 15-30 minutes to get a parking spot another 5-15 minutes to walk to the sale depending on on where your parking spot is. Then I would have to "break into" the sale with unpaid merchandise (they have fences and quite a bit of personal around)- granted this step should have been easy but still one more thing and then wait in line for up to an hour to pay for the dress. All with 5 kids in tow including a 2 year old and 1 year old.

I decided to keep my thank you gift. I felt I really tried to make things right. And it was the manager of the event (so not a low level working making the call) who said to keep it.

But based on the reactions of the people I talked to on the phone, clearly I was a very rare individual who even tried to pay for something after the fact.

I would call and ask to speak to the owner or manager and then let them decide if you aren't comfortable with the clerk's response. And then be content with whatever the owner or manager decides.

:iagree:

Sometimes, especially if it's a small amount, they don't want you to be inconvenienced to rememedy their error. I would talk to a manager, and if they concur with the sales clerk, I would not think another thing of it.

Sometimes, especially if it's a small amount, they don't want you to be inconvenienced to rememedy their error. I would talk to a manager, and if they concur with the sales clerk, I would not think another thing of it.

When I was in highschool, I worked in a big chain discout store. I found a $100 dollar bill on the floor. Well, I didn't even think about it; I took it to my manager, said 'I think someone dropped this, I found it just laying on the floor', and handed him the $100 bill. He just kinda looked and me like I had three heads, then finally took it. He told me that they would hold it in the office for a week or so, and if no one came to claim it, I could keep it.

Well, of course word got around to my fellow employees. Man, did I take a LOT of flack for being so stupid/naieve/etc. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE told me that I'd never see it again, that even if no one came to claim it that the manager would keep it, etc. That was a lot of money to me at that age; way more than I made in a week. Of course it would be nice if I got to keep it, but there's just no way I could not try to return it to it's rightful owner. We lived in a very poor part of town, and I just keep thinking 'what if that's some old lady's grocery money or something?'

Anyway, no one claimed it, and I DID get to keep it. Boy, did I make sure to tell the people I worked with that not only did I get to keep it, but that I could do it with a clear consience because I had done the right thing. Plus, it earned me a very good reputation with my management.

So, try to do what's right. But if the manager is telling you to keep it, then I'd keep it.

Edited by bethanyniez
possible homicide of a kitten

Oh, I'm going to go back and pay, don't worry. I've made it an issue with DD from early on that you have to buy things before you can have them - so much so that she wants her produce twist tie scanned if she's holding an extra at checkout time. I just was so surprised that the clerk essentially told me "lucky break, wink, wink" that I wondered if I really was weird for wanting to pay.

I concur with the others to 'do the right thing'. I will say, however, that if it's a hassle to physically go back, I would call and ask for a manager and explain the dollar difference. They might just tell you to keep them, in which case (as in the case of at least one pp), consider it a 'gift'. I would not keep them on the word of a cashier, especially if you got the *wink wink* feeling. It is entirely possible the store has a policy for such happenings, and maybe you did 'just get lucky'.

It's up to the appropriate person in that business to let you benefit from a mistake, per policy.

Edited by Heather in AL
Original post was just way too long.

I think you should try to pay the money. I wonder if the sales clerk's reply to you has more to do with the fact that she doesn't want the original sales clerk to look bad because she made this mistake. Sometimes this thought crosses my mind when these things happen to me and I wonder if bringing attention to store personel will mean disciplinary action for the employee who made the mistake. You should still try to correct the mistake though.

I read my post from last night and though "wow" that was harsh. I think it was last and was in a "get er done" sort of mood. I'm sorry if I implied that you wouldn't go and pay, that not what I was thinking. I was thinking to "just do it" --like a bandaid, and then your conscience can move on to the next thing to zing you about. I know that I have done this many times (tried to do the right thing) and people look at me like I grew a third head (thev'e gotten used to the 2nd one) but...God smiles.

How do we teach others the right way to act? Example. No matter how much of a freak we feel like, our eyes only see the nod of the One WHo Matters. Once again --sorry for sounding harsh.

Lara

If management says "forget it" - then I'd call it done. You've been honest - what they choose to do about their error is their choice.

I read my post from last night and though "wow" that was harsh. I think it was last and was in a "get er done" sort of mood. I'm sorry if I implied that you wouldn't go and pay, that not what I was thinking. I was thinking to "just do it" --like a bandaid, and then your conscience can move on to the next thing to zing you about. I know that I have done this many times (tried to do the right thing) and people look at me like I grew a third head (thev'e gotten used to the 2nd one) but...God smiles.

How do we teach others the right way to act? Example. No matter how much of a freak we feel like, our eyes only see the nod of the One WHo Matters. Once again --sorry for sounding harsh.

Lara

No worries! I took it exactly how you intended it, not badly at all. It was late for all of us and I was in the same mood when I read it.

I'm on my way to the store now to pay for the books. (It's been one heck of a day and on top of everything, the a/c is out and we're in Texas.) Can't wait to see what reaction I get!! :tongue_smilie:

I'm on my way to the store now to pay for the books. (It's been one heck of a day and on top of everything, the a/c is out and we're in Texas.) Can't wait to see what reaction I get!! :tongue_smilie:

You should have seen their faces. They were confused, surprised, and delighted all at once. All the cashiers gathered to see the strange species known as "Wanttopayforbooks". It took three of them to review the receipt and see that yes, indeed, we hadn't been charged for three books - the most expensive ones.

And they gave us two coupons as a thank you, one of which we promptly used in a frenzy of book buying. I swear we need a 12 step program for books.

I'm glad you got it all worked out.

When dd was a baby, that happened to me at Costco. It was actually my fault though- a sleeper was wrapped up with her blanket. When I went back the next day, it took several people to "figure out" how to ring up the item. :confused: They gave me so many coupons for free pizza and sodas that I came out ahead! :tongue_smilie:

its something your dc will never forget, nor the clerks. i'm so glad you chose to be a real and good example of "doing unto others as you would have them do unto you".... our world needs more good examples! maybe, just maybe, one of them will think twice the next time it happens to one of them...

:hurray:

I was at a Target and bought a box of fire logs and put them on the underside of the cart. Honestly, I don't know how we all missed it but when I got to the car I remembered them and sure enough, they weren't on the reciept. The kids and I marched back into the store with the logs and I had to ask 3 store personnel before they could tell me what to do. Finally I got a manager at customer service and he told me nobody ever came BACK with stuff that was missed at the register. I just wanted to do the right thing but honestly, their reaction was making me feel like I had done something dumb. It was strange (the store reaction) but I wanted my children to see a good example.