Menu

It's no wonder this kid can't do narrations...

I'm sorry. This made me laugh. But only because I feel your pain. Today I read from SOTW1 about Attila the Hun. Our review sounded like this: ME: "Who were the barbarians from Asia who tried to invade Rome?" DS: "The Celts?" ME: "No, the Celts were from Britain. The Huns were from Eastern Europe and Asia. Who was the leader of the Huns?" DS: "I don't know." ME: "Attila was the leader of the Huns. Who did Attila the Hun lead against Rome?" DS: "The Romans." "No. Attila the Hun was the leader of the Huns. He led the Huns against the Romans." DS: "But he died of a nosebleed! I had a nosebleed once and didn't die! I'm stronger than he was!"

AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

I'm sorry. This made me laugh. But only because I feel your pain. Today I read from SOTW1 about Attila the Hun. Our review sounded like this: ME: "Who were the barbarians from Asia who tried to invade Rome?" DS: "The Celts?" ME: "No, the Celts were from Britain. The Huns were from Eastern Europe and Asia. Who was the leader of the Huns?" DS: "I don't know." ME: "Attila was the leader of the Huns. Who did Attila the Hun lead against Rome?" DS: "The Romans." "No. Attila the Hun was the leader of the Huns. He led the Huns against the Romans." DS: "But he died of a nosebleed! I had a nosebleed once and didn't die! I'm stronger than he was!"

AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

You are killing me, and not from a nosebleed! :lol: I just read this to my husband, who is hyperventilating. He wanted me to look up Attila the Hun on Wiki -- sure enough, the guy died of a nosebleed.

My husband just said, "I bet if you asked 100,000 people in America how Attila the Hun died, only one would be able to say he died of a nosebleed."

I said, "Yeah, this poor woman's eight year old." :lol:

You are killing me, and not from a nosebleed! :lol: I just read this to my husband, who is hyperventilating. He wanted me to look up Attila the Hun on Wiki -- sure enough, the guy died of a nosebleed.

My husband just said, "I bet if you asked 100,000 people in America how Attila the Hun died, only one would be able to say he died of a nosebleed."

:lol::smilielol5::rofl:

Thanks! I sure needed this laugh tonight!

Yup, that's my boy! Couldn't tell you that Attila the HUN was the leader of the HUNS but he knows how the man died.

I just finished reading "Charlotte's Web" to my 3 kids (ages 7,6 &4). DS1 and I are crying when Charlotte dies. DS2 (6 yrs old) says, "Who's Charlotte?":glare:

Oh, y'all are making me feel better tonight ...

(and worry a little about the wisdom of moving on with DS next year ... this exact conversation recently, names changed ...)

at least we're not alone! :tongue_smilie:

I just finished reading "Charlotte's Web" to my 3 kids (ages 7,6 &4). DS1 and I are crying when Charlotte dies. DS2 (6 yrs old) says, "Who's Charlotte?":glare:

Can he narrate something to you that he has read himself, as opposed to narrating after you read it out loud to him? I cannot process a thing if someone is reading out loud to me. I have to read it for myself. My mind tends to wander, and if I don't have the words to concentrate on I find myself thinking of laundry, or the weeds that need pulling, or the guinea pig cage that needs cleaned. Ask him what he was thinking about while you were reading and see if he was even paying attention. But don't get mad at him if he wasn't! I would be willing to place a bet that he has a brain like mine and just cannot process the story unless he reads it himself.

On the serious side, the 6 year old does need to follow along with me when I read. He's not an auditory learner at all, so when I'm reading something for school (Charlotte's Web was just our before nap reading) then he sits on my lap and follows along.

Oh, thank you guys so much. I was begin to think my children were suffering from mental defects. My 8th grader recently said, "What is an adverb again?"

Yes, it's funny now, but just wait until they're 14 and asking those same questions. :banghead:

This is a prime example of how our brains' store information for retrieval and an excellent object lesson in how to help your students retain information for learning.

Our brains store and are able to retrieve only information that is meaningful to us. If the information we just heard isn't made meaningful to us it is simply disgarded by our brain and forgotten in a matter of seconds; for some that happens quicker than for others. The cause of death of Atilla was much more meaningful to your son than the Huns he was leading. Find a way for him to connect the COD with the actual Huns and you have it! Any facts can be learned and retrieved from memory if they are made meaningful to the person learning them. You may need to help your students initially but eventually they will develop their own strategies for making information they need to retrieve for tests, etc. meaningful. It will always work and is the best kept secret of people who excel in random facts and win at Jeopardy. Try it yourself. It works at any age and you probably have been doing it unconsciously most of your life.

Teaching your students strategies for learning is like teaching the starving to fish rather than giving them a fish....... (Hey! That might be my signature phrase I have been looking for for almost a year, do you think? :glare:)

The story made me roll with laughter and I can't wait to tell dh. :D It's a keeper!!!!!!

Carolyn

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

I am so glad I'm not alone. I remember listening to Pippi Longstocking with the girls, and when it was over, they said, "Mom, is Pippi a boy or a girl?" :lol:

Perhaps he's not an auditory learner? I got nothing. Thanks for the laughs though! (I had no idea Attila the Hun died from a nosebleed either, BTW. And the conversation about Attila sounded eerily familiar to some of the discussions we've had from reading history, too.)

On the serious side, the 6 year old does need to follow along with me when I read. He's not an auditory learner at all, so when I'm reading something for school (Charlotte's Web was just our before nap reading) then he sits on my lap and follows along.

I just found out my dd is not an auditory or a visual learner. Your 6 yr old sounds like my 6 year old. I am trying to put together curriculum that will help her learn and retain. We use lots of manipulatives for math and recently, letter tiles. I have been told to act out our history. It will take up more time but I have seen her retain more info that way.

:lol::lol:

Ds tells me the other day that his ps friend, who is in the same grade, can do harder math than he can.

"How do you know that?"

"Because he could answer a question that I haven't learned."

"What was the question?"

"80+80, you haven't taught me that!"

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

The child is learning multiplication right now. Not only has he been taught simple addition, he's had it mastered for over a year. I had to walk him through the entire process again. All I could think is that this kid is going to tell his parents all about how ds doesn't know any math. Sigh.

This made me laugh so hard! I am so GLAD I am not alone! After awhile I start questioning everything I taught them!!

My DS just asked me, "Who created fractions?" DH's response - "God"

DS, "Oh, okay."

The other day my DD tried to subtract the top number from the bottom number, completely forgot how to multiply, and thought Benjamin Franklin was a president. (DS promptly reminded her that Franklin invented the lightbulb!) :banghead::banghead:

Praying that one day all will come together.