Menu

Peace Hill's Religion Curriulum!

I was unaware that thinking Liberty and SWB's involvement with that type of religion was a poor fit for my family was a potential gaffe.

You really should search for and read her religious articles before you make any more judgments about her current beliefs and how they affect PHP's religious offerings. It's not your opinion about Liberty that is bothersome; it's your unfounded judgment, based one *one fact*, about PHP's religious offerings that is bothersome.

I NEEEED some bean dip NOW!

SWB

OK, here's your bean dip.

When I was in high school in the mid-80s, Liberty was one of several Christian schools on my radar (just think, we could have been there at the same time :D), because of the type of church I attended. I didn't end up applying to colleges, but Liberty was one of the popular ones for Christians to apply to at the time. Looking back, I shudder at the thought of some of the ones I'd thought of applying to!!

Anyway, it's *precisely* because of your articles about Christianity in the past however many years, that I read the entire olivebranch website, and can't wait to buy Enns' new book when it comes out. I am quite sure it will be nothing like the religious indoctrinating I had as a teen in that church, and I am glad about that! I told my husband all about this new book/curriculum, and almost had tears of relief because of finding something to use with my kids that appears not to have a bias to put them in a "Christian culture mold."

You really should search for and read her religious articles before you make any more judgments about her current beliefs and how they affect PHP's religious offerings. It's not your opinion about Liberty that is bothersome; it's your unfounded judgment, based one *one fact*, about PHP's religious offerings that is bothersome.

:iagree:

My bachelor's degree is from Brigham Young University. That tells you a lot about my religious beliefs when I was in my teens and early 20s, but it's extremely misleading as an indication of my religious beliefs in my late 30s.

Perhaps calandalsmom has never experienced a significant shift in world view.

... I am not a huge fan of TWTM either actually, so either way I'd be unlikely to find this of any use...

Then, in all seriousness, why are you here?

Certainly no one here is required to agree with SWB or TWTM on all points of home schooling philosophy, curriculum choice, religion, chicken slaughter, chocolate chips, or anything else. Goodness knows I've expressed disagreement or frustration with aspects of TWTM here on many occasions... But *overall* I have a respect for the aims of the book, I find the majority of it useful to me in planning the education of my own children, I find it helpful to read how others have adjusted and adapted TWTM in their own home schools, and I appreciate the chance to chat with others who share at least a basic educational philosophy.

But if you have no respect for SWB (based, apparently, on where she did her undergraduate work and an unspecified distaste for W&M) and you have any interest in or appreciation for TWTM, then surely there are other forums (the internet is fairly vast after all) that would be better suited to you.

Then, in all seriousness, why are you here?

Certainly no one here is required to agree with SWB or TWTM on all points of home schooling philosophy, curriculum choice, religion, chicken slaughter, chocolate chips, or anything else. Goodness knows I've expressed disagreement or frustration with aspects of TWTM here on many occasions... But *overall* I have a respect for the aims of the book, I find the majority of it useful to me in planning the education of my own children, I find it helpful to read how others have adjusted and adapted TWTM in their own home schools, and I appreciate the chance to chat with others who share at least a basic educational philosophy.

But if you have no respect for SWB (based, apparently, on where she did her undergraduate work and an unspecified distaste for W&M) and you have any interest in or appreciation for TWTM, then surely there are other forums (the internet is fairly vast after all) that would be better suited to you.

Yes. And, IMO, the fact that SWB hasn't banned her is an amazing testimony of her grace. If I were funding a forum and had this blatant disrespect continually come up, I'd just give the person the boot. But that's just me. ;)

Like someone else said here, I attended both undergraduate and graduate schools where most of the others were liberal and especially at my undergraduate school, not many were Christians. I am a conservative and a Christian nonetheless and was one when I was at those institutions. On the other hand, my opinions about certain topics have changed and there is very little one could guess correctly about my views based on where I went to school.

My bachelor's degree is from Brigham Young University. That tells you a lot about my religious beliefs when I was in my teens and early 20s, but it's extremely misleading as an indication of my religious beliefs in my late 30s.

Melinda,

I'm grateful that you were willing to post that.

SWB

Yes. And, IMO, the fact that SWB hasn't banned her is an amazing testimony of her grace. If I were funding a forum and had this blatant disrespect continually come up, I'd just give the person the boot. But that's just me. ;)

If this forum banned people bc of dislike of particular doctrine or schools that espoused such, that would make sense, but given that I have not in any way impugned SWB's character (merely said her suggestions in TWTM do not and her theology probably would not suit my family) I have no idea why I should feel so grateful that I have not been banned. I also do not recall wielding a continual campaign against either. in fact this may be the first time I have mentioned these opinions.

This is a bit like wandering into a cult of personality by accident. I really had no idea. I think bean dip is indeed in order.

I do admit that I grew up eating dinner under a framed McGovern poster and have only grown more liberal as I have aged. So no. A major world view change is not within my personal experience.

Edited by calandalsmom

AMEN TO THAT !

As someone who left Calvinism for Eastern Orthodoxy, I have made as enormous a religious jump (within historic Christianity) as is possible to make.

So I went to Duke University, a formerly Methodist school. Absolutely no impact on my religious life from going there. My Orthodox husband received his B.S. from Baylor. Again, zero religious impact on him.

Your academic formation does, inevitably, influence you - and this is the part of the candalsmom's point that I can understand and agree with. It is something that you notice, and more often than not, it does carry a certain weight - or lack thereof - which institutions and individuals one is associated with, just like we also cannot pretend that it means absolutely nothing which social circles you're in, which ones you stem from, who are your friends, where you dress, where you go on vacation, etc. All of those are pieces of the puzzle, they mean something about a person.

BUT, the puzzle is far from complete at the point of knowing such details; in fact, knowing only the formal stuff can often lead you to very, very wrong conclusions because you're missing out on the important details, on some of the crucial ones in fact. A person is not "formed" at the point of birth, or graduation from high school or university. While you can often make what's called "an educated guess" on how somebody from certain socioeconomic and educational background with certain associations might think, to not be aware of the fact that that's only an assumption, and a pretty vague one, is potentially dangerous. A man is not the sum of his associations and degrees. Also note that a lot of people have come to develop their crucial ideas AFTER their university formation and/or that they have DISAGREED with their educational background or societal norms they stem from.

Simply put, if I want to criticize somebody's work, I have to READ it first. If I just quickly skim through who reviewed it, what are the references, and what are the credentials of the one who wrote it, I can "quick-judge" it that way and see if it's a good fit for me, and that's perfectly normal and legitimate (no time ever to read EVERYTHING; I have to dismiss some things in start and this is a way of doing it) but then I know that it means I can't have an educated opinion of it and discuss it.

I don't even think it's impolite to openly disagree with SWB on "her" boards (a LOT of people on these boards do, as long as it's respectful, I doubt she has an issue with people thinking differently than her), because this is a place that invites to a discussion, but to a priori dismiss a book based on DEBATABLE influence of the educational formation of the author, without having ANY other argument, is in my eyes pretty problematic. And like I said, we all "filter" our books based on certain criteria, filter them through whatever are yours, but don't judge the one you haven't read, especially if you're unfamiliar with the author's opus regarding the topic.

ONTOPIC: Such a curriculum could never match our needs anyway, I might check it out "as a tourist", but we certainly won't use it since it's not our religion. I just don't see a need to flame it - especially a priori - which is why I replied.

Ester Maria, I like you :001_smile: ........... and I'd be willing to sell a lung and a kidney to be able to express myself as eloquently and as logically as you ......:thumbup:

Ditto to the thoughts of most who have stated that their undergraduate degree does not reflect their current thinking on politics and religion. That was definitely not the case for me as well.

One thing to bear in mind is that we, as the users of this forum, are not privy to the innermost thoughts and motives as to why SWB (or anyone else, for that matter) chooses to go to a particular undergraduate institution. For some, a particular school may be his/her first choice for everything the school represents. For others, the school in question may be the choice or recommendation of that individual's parents. For others, monetary reasons may help make that choice. For others, the choice of school may have to do with its particular location. Or, the school might have a really good program in one particular field in which that individual is interested; such a choice does not mean that person embraces or espouses every single view held by an institution.

Honestly, to me this seems so simple to understand: we really don't know everything about one another, so we should withhold judgment.

This is a bit like wandering into a cult of personality by accident.

Nah, it's not a cult of personality. It's more that this is SWB's space and so we wouldn't say anything about her here that we wouldn't say if we were sitting at her kitchen table. If we wanted to bag her housekeeping, we wouldn't do it while we watched her make lunch; though there wouldn't be anything wrong with requesting she leave the marge off *our* sandwich. There is nothing wrong with coming here and expressing views contrary to SWB's, but we don't need to bag her and her work outright. Now if there is anyone who eats dinner with a framed portrait of SWB over their dinner table, well that's weird so you'd better keep that to yourself. :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

Nah, it's not a cult of personality. It's more that this is SWB's space and so we wouldn't say anything about her here that we wouldn't say if we were sitting at her kitchen table. If we wanted to bag her housekeeping, we wouldn't do it while we watched her make lunch; though there wouldn't be anything wrong with requesting she leave the marge off *our* sandwich. There is nothing wrong with coming here and expressing views contrary to SWB's, but we don't need to bag her and her work outright. Now if there is anyone who eats dinner with a framed portrait of SWB over their dinner table, well that's weird so you'd better keep that to yourself. :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

Except I didn't bag her work- esp given it isn't her work, just her publication. This is a gross exaggeration and a completely ridiculous hyperbole.

Furthermore, it seems SWB is indeed a nondenomination christian and as I pointed out, Im sure she wouldnt be interested in my catholic catechetical supplies either.

I think this has turned into a good fun "fight" thread and Im glad you are all enjoying it but Im probably going to succumb to the power of the bean dip now and you can enjoy your horrors at my audacity with out me.:lol:

Rosie

:smilielol5:

Besides that...I don't know that the religious POV of the school is always the reason someone chooses a place. I have a degree from a Catholic university because I thought it was a great school. My kids' names are things like John, Paul, & Mary. My best friends are almost all Catholic.

But that really says nothing about my own religious POV. I've never been anything close to Catholic.

Except I didn't bag her work- esp given it isn't her work, just her publication. This is a gross exaggeration and a completely ridiculous hyperbole.

You have just illustrated the problems here, I think. I didn't say you bagged her. I said "we" (people who mooch about here) oughtn't bag her, and the reason why. I was addressing your comment about there being a cult of personality around here. That particular idea has nothing to do with your views on anything except that you think you are seeing a cult of personality. I thought I was providing evidence that this is incorrect and trying to assure you that you hadn't stumbled into an international order of SWB worshippers. That is all you were supposed to take from my post!

Rosie

SWB went to Liberty University which would tell me everything I need to know

This......

I have not in any way impugned SWB's character

.....is what makes people think that you have. It's also a big leap of assumption to write out on her forums, esp. if you knew nothing about her thoughts since her Liberty days.

It seems you dislike Liberty, but...

- If you assume that her current beliefs line up with whatever you dislike about Liberty, and if you hadn't read her articles before posting your original comment, what exactly leads you to that assumption?

- If we are misinterpreting your intent in your original statement, how would you rephrase?

I'm very interested in your precise answers to these two questions.

Furthermore, it seems SWB is indeed a nondenomination christian and as I pointed out, Im sure she wouldnt be interested in my catholic catechetical supplies either.

I think this has turned into a good fun "fight" thread and Im glad you are all enjoying it but Im probably going to succumb to the power of the bean dip now and you can enjoy your horrors at my audacity with out me.:lol:

Wow. Just wow. You really don't get it, do you?

I can say that as a fairly devout Catholic I've never read anything that SWB has written that bashes the Catholic church as badly as you are bashing SWB. And to do that bashing in what is essentially her cyber living room.

You unequivocally state that SWB wouldn't be interested in you Catholic teaching materials. Have you ever offered them? Have you thought that instead of perpetuating the differences that you could possibly teach SWB or any other person of a Protestant (or any other religion different than Catholicism) about the Catholic Church.

Yeah, I see the brilliance in that.

A blog entry (re: Westminster & Finally Feminist)

Review of Finally Feminist

Guest post on Under the Sun (re: responses to the above review)

It's too bad so many of those articles are only available in full if you pay for them now. I read many of them, too, before that happened.

Anyway, I really enjoyed reading the ones I quoted above. As a result, I read Stackhouse's book and enjoyed that, and then I got to meet him soon after!! One day at church, our pastor mentioned the guy's name and that he was coming to Halifax to do some lectures, so I went. I really enjoyed listening and taking notes, and I introduced myself to him afterwards and told him I'd heard about his book from SWB's blog (and BTW, Susan, he said he hoped to meet you in person someday :D). He is a very nice man; pleasant to talk with. Didn't act like he was only there to lecture and hang out with the church leaders afterwards; seemed like he wanted to mingle with everyone from his audience. I really appreciated that.

So it's this kind of connection that makes me enthusiastic about products from a religious branch of PHP.

Wow. Just wow. You really don't get it, do you?

I can say that as a fairly devout Catholic I've never read anything that SWB has written that bashes the Catholic church as badly as you are bashing SWB. And to do that bashing in what is essentially her cyber living room.

You unequivocally state that SWB wouldn't be interested in you Catholic teaching materials. Have you ever offered them? Have you thought that instead of perpetuating the differences that you could possibly teach SWB or any other person of a Protestant (or any other religion different than Catholicism) about the Catholic Church.

Yeah, I see the brilliance in that.

:iagree: Not only that, but it shows ignorance of the range of Reformed. There are those that WOULD be more interested in a Catholic leaning whatever compared to a Fundamentalist leaning whatnot. Shall we mention that fact that a lot of Reformed have converted to Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy and yet may or may not still hold a certain amount of respect or regard towards their Reformed past? Seriously, there are any number of paths SWB and Enns (and let me tell you, Enns has even made many Reformed heads spin, if I'm remembering correctly ;) ) have taken between point A and point B and the rest of us not only may have done the same, but may also choose their curricula for a myriad of reasons (one being that they may not line up to what one assumes...remember the saying about assumption?...).

And yes, it's the way it was presented...as though having Liberty University in SWB's past and on her resume defined her, her views, her theology, and every other thing about her. Guess when I was conservative Reformed, I shouldn't have read TWTM, because *gasp!* she went to WTS instead GTPS or what have you *rolleyes* Again, one might be surprised. Even if one isn't interested in personally using it, one has no business assuming upon another.

Susan, you cracked me up with the bean dip! :lol:

Sheesh, and all this time I've been telling my son it doesn't matter where you do your undergrad work. Will anyone hold attending a local state U against him?

There will always be people with prejudices in this world. To assume their isn't is a huge fallacy. As shown in this thread, those on the far left will often be prejudiced against any college they perceive to be leaning or far right. The same happens in reverse. In hiring practices I think they probably cancel each other out as there is a pretty even split (liberal/conservative) overall. However, in some fields, one side or the other dominates and it could be a concern.

In hiring you can also see bias based on perceived prestige or academic quality of the school. This tends to happen to new graduates, not those that have been on the job and have their own record to stand on or who have been to grad school. It can work both ways. I know of employers who prefer Ivy or similar, and those that outright reject them - solely based on the name they see - due to prejudices based on stereotypes. I'm certain the same happens to religious schools. For every Liberty-hater out there, there is also a Liberty-lover. Ditto that for ultra liberal schools.

When applying to grad school, one also has to be careful as some colleges are not considered up to snuff. These can sometimes be religious schools, but can also often be lower regarded state schools (not all state schools are lower tiered ones, but some most definitely are). To know about any particular school, check to see how many grads are accepted into grad school - and where.

Whew, talk about getting off topic! But it seemed better than continuing on with the lack of tolerance due to the name of the undergrad U of a person recommending a book! It is amazing to me how much some people are prejudiced, but it proves it's out there. I doubt the one person posting about it is the only one that has it - the same as any other prejudice.

Now if there is anyone who eats dinner with a framed portrait of SWB over their dinner table, well that's weird so you'd better keep that to yourself. :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

weird? oh crud...i didn't think it was that was weird...HONEY! BETTER TAKE DOWN THAT POSTER! :lol:

in all seriousness, i think this is an example of one person's inability to see how her words and opinions affect other people, to the extent that she just leaves the conversation. i too cannot comprehend why she is here, but it can be an example to the rest of us for when we post. think first of how it's going to be read by others, and season our words gracefully and respectfully. i'm impressed, though, with the majority of people here, who truly work to make this forum and pleasant place to hang out. It's a credit to all involved, beginning with SWB.

This thread has gone in an interesting direction. Not to say random.

Here's something I was thinking this morning: I have only recently (as in the past couple of years or so) been willing to say, publicly, that I even went to Liberty. (Those of you who've been around a while might remember that my resume used to omit my undergrad degree entirely.) The decision to go there falls under the category of "Seemed like a good idea at the time," and I won't rehash all the elements of it. But I have been SO reluctant to be in any way associated with the institution that I never, in any way, EVER alluded to it.

With age and time I've started to see it differently. It's part of my past, so it has become part of who I am. That doesn't mean that I've absorbed its theology and politics, just that my experience WITH those things has helped shape me. Ignoring it means ignoring a major factor in who I've become. So being willing to talk about it is a sign that I'm comfortable with myself.

I love being in my forties. Would never go back.

SWB

(Also I've got enough of a body of work behind me so that any REASONABLE person would realize how different my beliefs now are. :D)

Here's something I was thinking this morning: I have only recently (as in the past couple of years or so) been willing to say, publicly, that I even went to Liberty. (Those of you who've been around a while might remember that my resume used to omit my undergrad degree entirely.) The decision to go there falls under the category of "Seemed like a good idea at the time," and I won't rehash all the elements of it. But I have been SO reluctant to be in any way associated with the institution that I never, in any way, EVER alluded to it.

With age and time I've started to see it differently. It's part of my past, so it has become part of who I am. That doesn't mean that I've absorbed its theology and politics, just that my experience WITH those things has helped shape me. Ignoring it means ignoring a major factor in who I've become. So being willing to talk about it is a sign that I'm comfortable with myself.

SWB

(Also I've got enough of a body of work behind me so that any REASONABLE person would realize how different my beliefs now are. :D)

I think this is true of getting older. I've got something that I would gloss over in my past (not attending Liberty, thank God! :D) but now I'm at the point where I just don't care if people know or not. It was so long ago that few people would judge me by it today.

So being willing to talk about it is a sign that I'm comfortable with myself.

That's really neat. Yes, the forties rock. Someone told me a couple of years ago on my 40th birthday that I would get more comfortable "in my skin" this decade. I am. And a beautiful 52yo whom I admire told me, "Just wait til you get to your FIFTIES! It's even better!"

I'll be forever deeply grateful to you and your mother for writing WTM, for your providing these forums, for all your interesting and thought-provoking writing pieces, for your PHP colleagues, and for the forward thinking that goes on at PHP (sounds like a fun place to work!).

You go, with your fortyish-writerly-self!:D

I also think that one generally gets more comfortable after 40.

I also think that although one doesn't have to agree with everything WTM says or SWB says, there are polite ways to do this and impolite ways. We have to think whether our posts have any value with edification.

Thank you Susan for this website. You can't know how many of us you have helped. For me, it is often less about how to homeschool or which materials to use. It is the community that we have here and that I really need as I move frequently with my husband who is in the military. WTM has made our transitions easier. Thank you.

SWB

And personally, being in my 40's as well, I can add that I wouldn't care if you were thoroughly happy with your Liberty background and their beliefs, etc. I'm a VERY firm believer in, "to each their own," and VERY comfortable with my own beliefs (and skin) that I don't have to feel offended by those that choose differently.

That's really neat. Yes, the forties rock. Someone told me a couple of years ago on my 40th birthday that I would get more comfortable "in my skin" this decade. I am. And a beautiful 52yo whom I admire told me, "Just wait til you get to your FIFTIES! It's even better!"

I'll be forever deeply grateful to you and your mother for writing WTM, for your providing these forums, for all your interesting and thought-provoking writing pieces, for your PHP colleagues, and for the forward thinking that goes on at PHP (sounds like a fun place to work!).

You go, with your fortyish-writerly-self!:D

Forty something is awesome!! And I am looking forward to my fifties! I am also very grateful to you and your Mom for the WTM, these boards and your willingness to allow us to catch a glimpse into your homeschool....

Faithe

ETA: I would hate for anyone to judge my politics or theology by what I thought or did in my late teens or early 20's. Basically, I learned who NOT to be during those years...Yes, they helped form who I am today...but not by growing in the same direction, but by seeing where I was heading, pulling back, changing, maturing, growing, forgiving and learning to like and accept who I am and who God created me to be.

Edited by Mommyfaithe

In what way?

Politics arent at all involved so far as I can tell. Furthermore, Liberty University has a clearly defined set of religious beliefs which I would never wish to pass on to my kids. So it would only make good sense to think someone who tolerated their belief set well enough to attend their school couldnt possibly be the person I'd want to help me to educate my kids on matters of religion. I dont think there is a whit of politics involved there.

I participate here to read a variety of opinions on a variety of curricula. I was unaware that thinking Liberty and SWB's involvement with that type of religion was a poor fit for my family was a potential gaffe. I sincerely doubt SWB or any one else here of a non denominational bent would be likely to purchase my catholic catechism (if I had one) for use with her reformed non denominational kids.

If you had simply written--"Won't work for me because we're Catholic," I doubt anyone would have replied to your post. It was the jump-in-logic (person attends X university ; therefore I know all I need to know) and the snark factor in the wording that drew the replies.

Wow. Thank you for turning the tone of this thread, Susan, and for your perspective on being in your 40's. I've not been a happy person since joining the 40's group because I have so many regrets that I feel like I've lost valuable years. But you're right, those experiences have added to the person I've become, and that's not so bad. :001_smile:

• 5 months later...

Susan,

Thank you ever so much from the very bottom of my heart for your tireless hard work. Thank you for the educational foundation you have helped me achieve for my children and the richness your writings have added to our lives. Thank you for addressing the need for a solid orthodox curriculum for teaching children the basics of theology. Thank you, thank you, thank you...

Faith

My alma mater is Carson Newman College, still live within a mile of it, and I *believe* I read that Jessie Wise attended there! :D Anyway, I received an excellent education there, as well as some graduate work. However, their religious views are actually more liberal than mine. (gasp!) I chose Carson Newman at the time because it was a small, Christian college...and they had a good music department, I even enjoyed my religion courses while there, but they most certainly did not totally, 100% line up with my own personal beliefs, which by the way, have grown and changed and ebbed and flowed since then. ha! I think it would almost be odd to find that many people who can say they believe with every single thing that one school stands for, ya know? Even within the CNC religion department there are varying views on the errancy and inerrancy of Scripture.

GO EAGLES!! (I love my alma mater!!) :lol: