Menu

Favorite Penzeys Spices?

We now have a store in Portland Oregon and I have found myself a bit addicted!

I love to go in a get new combinations. It is so nice to cook a meal and get a different flavor. It seems like over the years, I have developed a habit of using the same spices, just in different amounts. I love buying the premade combos, and just using them as is. It is like someone else has cooked me a meal!

Any suggestions?

Chinese Cassia or Vietnamese cinnamon will change your life.

If you enjoy pepper, spring for the India Tellicherry whole pepper corns.

Sweet Curry powder is one of the easiest spices to add to anything for wonderful curry flavor.

Those are my top three--I use them everyday in my cooking.

Don't forget to pick up their catalog--it has tons of ideas and recipes. Have a blast!

The Smoked Paprika makes split pea soup taste gourmet.

My heat loving dh and ds are addicted to Vulcan Salt (on eggs, popcorn, you name it).

The Vietnamese Cinnamon on fresh sliced apples is good enough for dessert.

You probably can't go wrong!

Don't have that store here, but I've enjoyed reading about the spices posted by others... They sound fabulous! Happy culinary experimenting... :)

Julie, if you are interested, they have a website. I order from it because the nearest store is a 2.5 hour round trip away.

http://www.penzeys.com/

I tried it because people here recommended it. I have not been sorry. I figure as long as I stay out of the actual store, I can keep the number of spices I own to a manageable level. I usually order a couple of spices I've never used each time, just for fun.

Julie, if you are interested, they have a website. I order from it because the nearest store is a 2.5 hour round trip away.

http://www.penzeys.com/

I tried it because people here recommended it. I have not been sorry. I figure as long as I stay out of the actual store, I can keep the number of spices I own to a manageable level. I usually order a couple of spices I've never used each time, just for fun.

Thanks - I'll check it out! And yes, keeping spices at a manageable level is a challenge for me too... ;)

California Seasoned Pepper is a must when I cook, as well as Mural of Flavor on the veggies.

Just started using Sate, love it on chicken stir fry.

Salsa Salad Seasoning and cumin are wonderful for guacamole.

I just love going to their store, but I usually order online to keep myself under control. Also, once you get on the mailing list for the catalog, there is usually an offer for a free spice or money off deal on the cover of the magazine.

We now have a store in Portland Oregon and I have found myself a bit addicted!

I love to go in a get new combinations. It is so nice to cook a meal and get a different flavor. It seems like over the years, I have developed a habit of using the same spices, just in different amounts. I love buying the premade combos, and just using them as is. It is like someone else has cooked me a meal!

Any suggestions?

Greek seasoning...good dressing and fantastic for chicken dishes, marinades for kebabs, etc.

French basil

Rogan Josh (if you make rogan josh...every easy for making meat very good)

true cinnamon

cake spice (fast to add to oatmeal, etc)

Italian seasoning (fast to add to pasta)

The Smoked Paprika makes split pea soup taste gourmet.

!

:iagree: You can also add one of their smoked chilies, whole, and fish it out before serving.

I like their chili con carne for bean chili even more than the straight chili powder. It gives a bell pepper fresh over tone.

Don't forget Aleppo.....a tiny bit of heat, a louder tang of citrus and an over all "fresh" taste. I like the half sharp paprika instead of cayenne in many recipes.

Ohhhh you guys are killing me!!!!

I was hoping to narrow down the choices....you have expanded my list instead LOL

Keep them coming, I am looking forward to a year of new dishes coming my way.

I received my first set of seasonings from them for Yule this year and I'm hooked :). I really like the buttermilk ranch and creamy peppercorn dressings (I mix the two for a peppercorn ranch flavor). I didn't care for the green goddess (too sweet).

A friend gave me a gift box for Christmas several years ago - the cinnamon and paprika were so much better than the grocery versions. But I haven't bought from them since I ran out - I'm inspired to now (we even have a store w/in 45 minutes.)

The smoked paprika sounds intriguing!

Vietnamese cinnamon

Sumac (wonderful addition to hummus)

Greek Seasoning

We buy all of our spices from Penzey's. They're better quality and you get more bang for your buck (esp if you buy them in the bags vs the jars). I love them!

I use small (1 cup) glass canning jars with lids.

Brilliant!!!! I have a ton of those. I make freezer jam every year in those so there are a lot laying around.

Do you have a creative way of making lables?

Brilliant!!!! I have a ton of those. I make freezer jam every year in those so there are a lot laying around.

Do you have a creative way of making lables?

No. If I made labels, they would look awful because my artistic talent is at the lowest end of the scale. So I take the easy way out and I write the contents on the top of the lid using a Sharpie. I have about 8 canning jars of spices -- I buy them in the containers otherwise. I can pretty much tell by looking what is in those jars.

Edited by RoughCollie