Menu

sources of inexpensive books

Besides Amazon used books, Ebay, this swap forum of this board, and yard sales, two of my favorites sources of inexpensive books are

Dover Books http://store.doverpublications.com/ (they republish many out-of-print books and "classics") and

HamiltonBook.com (They sell new publishers' overstocks online, and a paper catalog is available. The selection is extensive.)

What are some other good sources for American residents?

Reading TWTM, I've occasionally wondered how people afford all the books listed :001_smile:.

Library book sales. GREAT books and many times they are hard back/library quality. We are near quite a few library systems so I have great choices.

here is a website that list some book sales.

http://www.booksalefinder.com/

I'm hooked on these too (and 'tis the season :D). I also love Paperbackswap.com. I'm terrible with mailing, so I buy credits instead (they cost about $1 more than mailing a book via media mail would, but less than shipping alone on Half.com costs). I've gotten so many terrific books that way. I try to use the library as much as possible--we have a small local library, but an awesome overall system--but when I can't, these are my best alternatives.

Library sales - we routinely travel over an hour to good library sales, stopping at museums or parks nearby and making a day of it. I use Book Sale Finder to locate them.

Seashellbooks.com - I order from them every other month or so. Unlike Amazon or ABEbooks, there is not shipping per book. If you order $25 in books, shipping is free. Books are $1.99 and up. I order a bunch of $1.99 books and get free shipping. It is great for the books we cant find at library sales.

The BPL main branch in Back Bay has wonderful library sales.

I think this is one of the libraries which lets Friends of the Library come to the sale the day before it is open to the general public. Either way, get there early because book dealers do.

Edited by RoughCollie

Our Goodwill sells books from $2-5. They aren't super cheap but less that 1/2 of what I would have paid at BnN so I figure it is worth it.

I can stop in, kill a few minutes, and be on my way.

Nothing beats a library book sale, in my opinion. Especially the ones where you get a big bag of stuff for one low price. No postage fees, either. Can you tell what I did today?

:iagree:

I love them.

When my children were 2 and 5 and my husband was deployed, a Grandma who was working at the sale entertained my 2 year old so I could shop longer! Free babysitting and cheap books, I was in heaven, this was during the bag o' stuff for a ridiculously low price portion of the sale.

Used book stores...

We have a fabulous used book store in a large warehouse. I haven't found anyplace else that sells them cheaper. They sell college textbooks and the like for $2!! They also throw in a children's book (even hard cover) for free each time we go. It's also just fun - being the bibliophile that I am, a warehouse full of books just does something for me. I love that place... :001_tt1:

Besides Amazon used books, Ebay, this swap forum of this board, and yard sales, two of my favorites sources of inexpensive books are

Dover Books http://store.doverpublications.com/ (they republish many out-of-print books and "classics") and

HamiltonBook.com (They sell new publishers' overstocks online, and a paper catalog is available. The selection is extensive.)

What are some other good sources for American residents?

Reading TWTM, I've occasionally wondered how people afford all the books listed :001_smile:.

I've found that what helps me is to have a list of the quality books or authors that I'm looking for (mine is mostly a mental list, but a written list kept in a wallet or on a pda would work too). Then I hit everywhere that there might be books for sale.

Library sales are great.

Used bookstores, even the little out of the way shops.

Half Priced books

Goodwill and other thrift shops

Used book sales run by homeschooling groups

Yard Sales

And while we have thousands of books, I don't own everything in TWTM. Remember that in any given chapter, you are presented with several options that might be suitable. Our first years homeschooling, we lived overseas. Often the particular title listed in TWTM wasn't in the libraries I had acess to. But I frequently found some other title that was a great fit. Sometimes these hadn't been listed in TWTM, simply because they were out of print or were from a British press and weren't commonly available in the US.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that only a particular title listed in TWTM (or on other homeschool lists) is going to work for you. Some of us on the board remember the cost of a particular history book doubling and tripling in price when it went out of print just as it became the "must have" book.

Once you get a sense of the type of book that you are looking for, you will be able to find outstanding stuff that others overlook, because it isn't fluff.

I so appreciate threads like this!!

My only contribution is alibris.com, and that one's already been made. Beyond that, I always enjoy library sales from universities/colleges. Not because I find current curriculum there but because I find the smell of old books to be a marvelous invitation to nestle down in a corner and see what a library director found so important two generations ago. Of course, that was B(efore) C(hildren)!

Mama Anna