Menu

Agatha Christie lover

Lillian Jackson Braun "The Cat Who" mysteries (each title starts with those 3 words)

Jacqueline Winspears "Maisie Dobbs" and the series that follows

Alexander McCall Smith "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" and the series that follows. (These aren't whodunits as such but I find them delightful).

Laurie King "The Bee-keeper's Apprentice" and the series that follows.

If you are a fan of mysteries, I definitely recommend Neil Simon's hilarious movie "Murder By Death". It has spoofs of 5 famous crime sleths/detectives (Hercule, Miss Marple, Sam Spade, Nick & Nora Charles, and Charlie Chan). The cast is spectacular: Sir Alec Guinness, David Niven, Maggie Smith, Peter Falk, James Coco, James Cromwell, Truman Capote, Peter Sellers, Nancy Walker, Eileen Brennan, and Elsa Manchester.

http://www.amazon.com/Murder-Death-Peter-Falk/dp/B00005RDRO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1272824939&sr=1-1

I know you weren't asking about movies, but I always have to recommend this one to folks who love the 'classic' mysteries. :001_smile:

Anne Perry has 2 major series (William Monk & Thomas Pitt). They are set in victorian times. However, I should mention that they deal openly with various social issues and societal structure of the time. One usually does not encounter graphic depiction of se***l content or pervasive foul language, however the resulting consequences of various *sins* are explored.

There is also a long series by Elizabeth Peters referred to as the "Amelia Peabody Series." Set from 1880 - post WW1.

Edited by Liz CA

You might give Heron Carvic's Miss Seeton series a try. Two other authors continued this series, and I don't care for those. But the originals are fun.

Glad to see others have recommended Patricia Wentworth, Georgette Heyer, and Alexander McCall Smith--3 authors I adore. :001_smile: Oh, and Laurie King and Dorothy Sayers, too.

Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries.

Laura

:iagree: I love her mysteries. And from there you can branch off to P.G. Wodehouse's Wooster and Jeeves books. They are not mysteries per se, but they tie in with Lord Peter very well. Hmmmm, might be a Wooster and Jeeves night here............

A relatively recent series by Louise Penny featuring a gentle, philosophical detective (Messieur Garmache), an interesting location (a small town in Canada), and a funny, charming cast of characters. Two of the books have won Agatha Awards, which is how I discovered them, and quickly devoured the other two. Minimal gore, no foul language, no who's-sleeping-with-whom.

The first in the series is Still Life, and this is a series that really should be read in order.I look forward to her next book.

Ditto on Cadfael. Nay on Elizabeth Peters and Lillian Braun something or other (the Cat series). Maybe because I had them on audiobook but I thought Peters and Braun were dumb.

I haven't tried this one yet but how about C.K. Chesterton's mysteries? Something about a priest?

Alexander McCall Smith's books aren't really mysteries but rather stories with questions to answer. Read everything from him (except Heavenly Flirtations).

Nay on Elizabeth Peters and Lillian Braun something or other (the Cat series). Maybe because I had them on audiobook but I thought Peters and Braun were dumb.

:svengo:

Peters has a PhD in Egyptology. Her books are anything but dumb.

Sometimes silly & spoofy but not dumb. Peters is one of my favourite authors.

Lillian Jackson Braun is fluffy & if you read too many of them in a row they get predictable & thin but they're still nice cozies.

I love Agatha Christie books but I've read them all. Can anyone recommend a replacement? Many of the newer mystery type books are full of foul language, gore, etc. that I don't need in my head. Any suggestions?

Dorothy Sayers' Peter Whimsey stories (Clouds of Witness or Murder Must Advertise or Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club are good books to start with. If you start with the books where the romance with Harriet are introduced, Strong Poison is the first. I started almost at the end of the series and simply read each one as I got my hands on them.)

Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael mysteries (I think the first is One Corpse Too Many).

Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody stories (though I found her Vicky Bliss titles too brash).

It's been a long time, but I remember enjoying Dick Francis many years ago.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I am an Agatha Christie lover too. Here are some other similar authors that I love

Margery Allingham

Dorothy Gillman

Josephine Tey

Patricia Wentworth

Dorothy Sayers

G.K. Chesterton's Father Brown mysteries are excellent

John Dickson Carr- also called Carter Dickson

These have all been mentioned, but I thought I would second them.

I also enjoyed:

The Aunt Dimity's Ghost series ( I can't remember the author)

The Cat Who.... ( Lillian Jackson Braun- nothing to write home about but entertaining)

Dame Frevisse series ( Margaret Frazer- medieval nun)

Laurie King's Sherlock Holmes books

Brother Cadfael was okay, but I didn't stick with the series. Same with the Elizabeth Peters ones.