Menu

Bummer! I've had it with UNSEEN used books, too. I just ordered quite a few "Like New" from amazon sellers that were in horrible condition. :glare: I'll still haunt used book stores and sales, because I can see the books in person (and the price is usually less). But, yes, I, too, will be buying more new books and am seriously considering a Kindle or iPad for the oldies but goodies that are OOP.

:grouphug:

I know what you mean. I try not to ever sell something that I would be disappointed to receive; and that just makes it worse when I get books that in poor condition or are not as described.

I recently bought a set of books that were listed as "brand new" and they were obviously not new. They were still in pretty good shape, and it was a good deal, so I didn't say anything. I just wish people wouldn't be misleading about their items.

I have found that sellers on Amazon, half.com, etc., tend to grade their books 1-2 levels higher than they actually are. So I stick with anything called "new" and then expect it to be "very good". If I go with something the seller calls "very good", then I am usually disappointed with the quality of the book.

I wouldn't hesitate to contact the seller and/or website for a discrepancy greater than 1 level.

If you're buying used on amazon, it often helps to go up in cost instead of buying from the huge booksellers who make their money on shipping. The penny sellers have generic descriptions and when I spend 1 cent on a book I know I'm taking a risk. Most of the time when I've bought used but not the cheapest, the condition matches the description.

I'm sorry; of course you are frustrated. Dishonesty and/or thoughtlessness stink.

I don't buy from anyone on amazon who has less than 99% positive feedback. I have always been happy with my used book purchases, and I suspect this is one big factor.

It's timely for me that you posted this today, as I am selling a used item on another board, and the item has a small flaw that I've gone to great lengths to fully disclose. I want people to know what they are getting. Something that might not bother me might bother a buyer a lot.

I have never understood why people go through the trouble to be so dishonest. I had a few purchases arrive that were beyond irritating. I, like you, threw in the towel and now only buy what I can see, or buy new.

I really don't like hilighting or writing of any kind within the text of the book, so I always look for the descriptions that say that there isn't any. Even so, I sometimes get burned. All it takes is 10 seconds to flip through a book. Can it be that difficult?

I gave an Amazon seller bad feedback because the book described as "no hilighting" had it on the first 50+ pages. He asked in a panic what he could do to get me to improve his feedback, and I told him I would change it if he would give me 1/2 of my money back. I never heard from him again - called his bluff.

Most of the time, Amazon transactions have turned out well. Not so for half.com - it has to be something I really want and can't find anywhere else before I will buy from there.

I share your frustration!

GardenMom

I have finally reached my yearly tolerance threshold with used book sellers who advertise "Like New" materials that have creases, stains, yellowed pages, torn covers, and stinky pages! Every year I do my best to honestly and completely describe anything I have for sale, and I'm sure I've lost sales over the years from refusing to be dishonest. I'm not going to say that my TM or syllabus or whatever is 'current' and 'in great shape' if it is the edition that was new in 1980 and looks like a baby puked on it! Grrrrrr...... only new materials for us!:rant:

We buy a lot of used books from Abebooks.com and Amazon and have usually been pretty happy. Abebooks might have a slight advantage because you don't have very many people selling out of their living room. It is generally people who are at least hobbyist booksellers if not actual used bookstores.

Or maybe it's just that people aren't so likely to incorrectly describe a biography of Admiral Yamamoto as they are a homeschool teacher's manual.

I've also been pleasantly surprised at many of the books I've gotten from Paperback Book Swap. Sure there are plenty of beach books that have obviously been read a lot. But I've also gotten several books that were textmaculate. Perhaps it's just that my expectations are lower with PBS.

I have had some good and bad experiences with books. I bought one set and the woman never even shipped the books to me and she wouldn't respond to my emails. Pay-pal only refund me $2.00 of the $40 I paid because they couldn't collect from her. This was before the pay-pal buyer protection program.

I've only had bad luck on Amazon once, and on here once.:sad:

At least here, I steer away from that seller, who has loads of items for sale constantly.

Is there some sort of feedback system here where the rest of us can benefit from knowing who the better sellers are?

I get frustrated with Amazon, too. My main issue is getting books that are the wrong edition, or paperback instead of hardback, or poor condition (especially old library books when it doesn't say so, I hate that). But I have found Amazon customer support and guarantee is very good.

I have a few favorite large volume sellers at amazon that are reliable for me, and I always try to buy from those.

I'm always amazed though, because I've bought a fair amount of used books & curriculum for 5 kids over the last 15 years, and never had anything sent to me in an unacceptable condition. I must be a lucky girl! ;) Are you buying from reputable sources?

:iagree:

I have found that small to medium size sellers tend rate more honestly that absolute newbies or the massive warehouse sellers. I have been incredibly blessed. I have frequently paid a penny plus shipping for a book listed as in good condition on to get one that is not onyl brand spanking new but very well packaged as well. The only problems I have ever had is ordering textbooks from the mega warehouse sellers. They list them all the same and then just grab one off the shelf when an order comes in. They have always replaced and let me keep the old but the new copy is never any better than the old. Sometimes it is so much cheaper that if it is functional well then it is worth it.

Is there some sort of feedback system here where the rest of us can benefit from knowing who the better sellers are?

I know how to check it, but not how to send it. Just click on the user name in the upper left-hand corner of the post and then click on 'public profile'.

Thanks for the vent! I've had time to cool off but I am still pretty frustrated. Yes, it was an Amazon seller with a large storefront. I'm working with Az customer service to try to arrange a partial credit or return. I guess you get what you pay for. :chillpill::chillpill:

Be aware if you return something to the seller, you have to pay for return shipping. Amazon only lets sellers refund the original sale cost (original item cost plus shipping to you).

Blessings,

Melinda

I have had damaged "new" books arrive from Amazon itself, actually! (Not from the used category.) Anyway, like all the other misrepresentations of used books, I usually contact the seller and complain. In virtually all cases, I have been offered and accepted a partial or full refund. In only one case did the seller insist on having the book back. I emailed them photos (which I obviously still had on my computer) with the return information, and mailed the book back -- and I did receive a refund of the cost of the book + shipping both ways, so they really would have been better off giving me a complete refund! Oh well, that was their problem.

I think it's trickier when you buy from individuals (like on various boards), but I have had okay times with them. However, I buy most through used bookstores/clearinghouses. I also compare the price of what someone is selling for how much (and if!) I can buy it new and from a used source (abebooks, etc) and take into consideration if I want to take the risk.

All it takes is getting what you didn't order once to sour the idea of buying used. It depends on how much use they'll get whether I'll consider used or not. New looks more attractive when you see some of the prices they want for used too. Some sellers are honest and fairly priced, and others are delusional. :lol:

Yes, it was an Amazon seller with a large storefront. I'm working with Az customer service to try to arrange a partial credit or return. I guess you get what you pay for. :chillpill::chillpill:

When I started selling books on Amazon I hung out on the seller's forum and one thing I found out is that many would often list higher than the big bottom priced feeders, because many buyers bypass the early listings and go for something more reliable.

Even though I've received books not as described from Abebooks, their return process is pretty easy, and I've received fast refunds both times. If the book is not as described, you can initiate the return/refund process yourself, and send the book back.

I have bought from both Amazon and Half and, while the books were fairly close to accurately described, the packaging has sometimes surprised me.

With the descriptions, the books were not described in detail. I generally try to buy from someone who has a 98% rating or better, and I read some of the latest feedback, particularly looking for the negatives with those having 98% or 99%. I also generally buy from someone who has given info about the condition that makes it appear that he has actually held the book in his hand as he described it.

When I post something for sale, I try to be as detailed as I can be. As a previous poster said, I go out of my way to detail everything - what may not bother me may be a huge issue to someone else. I also often (but not always) downgrade my meager listings - even if it could pass for like new, I tend to put the bottom ratings of good or acceptable.

With packaging - oh my! Books just tossed in a used/coming apart bag, no packing slip, hand addressed that is not always completely legible. I absolutely do not mind recycling bags and boxes (I recycle, too) - but please seal it properly! Sometimes, re the writing, I wonder how a package found me!

Overall, though, I've had good experiences buying online and I am thankful for that!

Nothing beats meandering through a brick and mortar used book store, though!:D

• 2 weeks later...
I'm always amazed though, because I've bought a fair amount of used books & curriculum for 5 kids over the last 15 years, and never had anything sent to me in an unacceptable condition. I must be a lucky girl! ;) Are you buying from reputable sources?

Same here, I've never really had a problem. The only time I got something I didn't expect was due to my own error in not reading the description carefully, but the item was still totally useable.

I've so far had great luck on Amazon. The books I have bought for a penny looked nearly brand new and one of them was a 1980 book.

I seem to have mixed luck. I've gotten several workbooks described as "Like New" that had indelible writing throughout.

I've had $0.01 books packaged beautifully, and very expensive hardback books stuffed into a plain manila mailer with no padding. In one case, the envelope ripped in half and the post office managed to tape it together and still deliver the book (in shredded condition).

On the other hand, I seem to have fabulous luck with buying ex-library books from various Az sellers. I've gotten some beautiful picture books for my youngest that had clearly never been checked out -- no finger prints on glossy picture pages, no smudges.