Menu

I'm just gonna say it. We switched to SL and I had time to bake bread!

momee

How would SL work if you have 2nd and 5th grade? Can they be combined? If not how do you use two different packages? I was just telling my mother that I was a little burnt out and wished I was using something that was more open and go. I am looking at the SL website but still wondering......

That would probably depend very much on your kids. You might have better "luck" doing the Core 4 (or 3+4, if you want to do the entire US history in one year) and including the 2nd grader, who would have his own readers. I have successfully combined my two boys (who are two years apart in age) in the older one's core for history and read alouds, which has been so nice for all of us. We curl up on the couch together for read alouds and the boys are in heaven. I will be doing Core 4 with my 2nd grader and 4th grader next year.:001_smile:

No planning, no library book hunting.

No schedule making with the children.

We sat on the couch and read, read, read.

Praying it continues to be a great fit.

I knew I was spending alot of time planning, but didn't realize how great it is to go to the shelf, pull off the book we need to read and put it back when we're done reading. NICE :);)

I'm glad that you find a curriculum that work for you.:001_smile:

I'm really trying not to be discouraged by this! I was all psyched to go with SL 5 this fall. Or maybe 3/4. Or maybe 6. ;) We called an informal meeting to discuss our options, and I threw a few alternative programs to make the discussion interesting. :D The phone rang...my 16dd took over the discussion, and by the time I got back to the table, the girls were raving about another curriculum, and had ditched SL altogether. My 12dd even said that she thought *all reading* was going to be a little boring. Now what. :confused: I want books. I want no planning. I want bread making time. I've still got time to change minds...

I made this mistake too. I wrote up brief description sheets of Oak Meadow, my own WTM/CM plans, unit studies... and had dh and the kids go over them. Now everyone wants something different! Oh well, I still have all the time before July (when I'd HAVE to order everything) to make it work, and to figure out where we're going!

"So seriously, if I use SL straight my kitchen gets clean, the laundry done, and I can go to bed on time with my dh? LOL, that's SOME curriculum! I should have switched long ago."

I realize you're trying to be funny, but I wasn't implying anything similar to what you stated above.

Mainly the blessing of this switch for me, after years! of using something that was teacher intensive has been in having our work scheduled by someone besides the kids and I and facing Monday morning knowing everything is there for us. Instead of waiting for me to have ordered a book or inter loaning it from a library.

I posted because sometimes on these boards, the focus is so much on rigor and acheivement and rarely is the important stuff like maintaining peace and caring for our homes included in the equation of choosing something to use. If we're so focused on the organization of school with a certain curricula that it ends up consuming time needed to care for a family, how great is it really???

:iagree::iagree: We so often hear what is *not* working, it's nice when something is such a good fit. We love SL, switched briefly to a curriculum similar to what you described, and are now happily back with SL. Yes, peace of mind is a lovely thing.

Lisa

Another happy Sonlighter here! I do use other materials for LA and Math (though will be purchasing Saxon through SL this coming year). We've used SL for 6 years and love the schedule/books/commentary etc. I thought about switching this past year and going with a 4year rotation (I'm a WTM'er at heart), but honestly, with a new baby in the house, who's now a toddler, I'm so happy I stuck with SL...I was starting to overplan EVERYTHING!!! I still use SWB's ideas on Dictation/Narration and Writing, but that's so easy to implement with SL. Enjoy your journey...very happy for you!!!

This sounds like us. My eldest has been using SL for 4 yrs and it has been perfect for him. I look back and am SO glad we had our read aloud times together- not sure it would have occured to me to read aloud to an older kid if it hadn't been for SL.

I have been so tempted by the WTM 4 yr rotation as well and really want to do SOTW with my youngest, but we have a new baby on the way and it would probably be best if I'd just stick with our SL cores, they really are easy to use. We only use the history cores and incorporate SWB's writing philosophy as well- I love the WTM/Classical for LA.

I've hopped around terribly in history for my younger set and I think we'd do well just sticking with SL. Not to mention, the money we've invested into so many cores already that they can reuse.

My husband just went to Iraq for an entire year. So, I am looking at SL for the first time. But, honestly, it is because I would like to hand the reading to my oldest daughter to read alone, and then we pick and choose the read-a-louds that we would do in the evening.

I'd like to use TOG discussion questions along with SL3. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Thanks.

Love SL this will be are 3rd year using it and I just ordered Core 2.

I love how easy it is to do. Still working on making more bread, keeping up on laundry. I can't blame SL on that just a busy life. SL is the easy part of our schedule. Last year I added a little more hands on but didn't stress over it. Hope you enjoy it as much as we have.

• 2 weeks later...

We are current SL users and like another poster, I am a research fanatic and over-think EVERYTHING! I also know from past experience that I want something over the long haul, and not jumping around, BTDT!! My ds that graduates this year was my curriculum guinea pig. We tried everything, including two SL cores and he actually ended up doing his final three classes online.

I have decided with my younger dd's to use SL as a core, then use the WTM suggested LA, math, science, electives, etc. I do feel like I have tried most of the more popular curriculums out there, so I know what I like, and what I think will be best for my dd.

My dh discusses with me what curriculum we will be using, but generally leaves the final decisions to me, as I am the one doing all of the research, and the one that has tried so many different things. We both like the WTM LA and will be using most of their suggested materials as soon as dd#1 reahes 1st grade. I did find out over the years that I despise making my own lesson plans, and definitely like eveything laid out. I do feel like the WTM suggestions for the other subjects have options for curriculum that is laid out.

It is great to KNOW what we are doing as a spine & to have TWTM as a guide for the rest.

My husband just went to Iraq for an entire year. So, I am looking at SL for the first time. But, honestly, it is because I would like to hand the reading to my oldest daughter to read alone, and then we pick and choose the read-a-louds that we would do in the evening.

I'd like to use TOG discussion questions along with SL3. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Thanks.

I still own some TOG and I often peruse the teachers notes and get ideas for discussion points and questions.

Hi RaeAnne,

I'm definitely not a rep for any company...long time homeschooler here.

Sorry you'd think so.

My point in not mentioning another curricula is because it wasn't important to the thread I started...and for the benefit and mental safety of my family (haha) I'm not encouraged by my husband to talk about the other stuff we used.

This seems strange. It's almost like you're posting this as an ad for the company, like this thread is just one giant endorsement.... :001_smile:

I can't verify she isn't. Not that I have that kind of access on SL,though I know who I could ask if I felt the need ;) as there was the time when I posted so much over there I was on page 1 in post counts :D, but I have discussed TOG in depth with momee, and seen her here on the TOG threads over time.

What you are seeing is the joy of having put down a burden that was too much for her to bear, and finding that perfect fit. In my case it was going from SL to TOG. In her case it was going from TOG to SL.

No sales on either side.

Heather

I went from SL to TOG, only because, like Siloam, TOG is working better for my family. I do miss SL ever so much, so I try to use SL books instead of the TOG suggestions whenever I can. (I like SL's book choices more than TOG's.)

But I am so happy for Momee who has found what works best for her and her family:001_smile:

Anna

I can't verify she isn't. Not that I have that kind of access on SL,though I know who I could ask if I felt the need ;) as there was the time when I posted so much over there I was on page 1 in post counts :D, but I have discussed TOG in depth with momee, and seen her here on the TOG threads over time.

What you are seeing is the joy of having put down a burden that was too much for her to bear, and finding that perfect fit. In my case it was going from SL to TOG. In her case it was going from TOG to s SL.

No sales on either side.

Heather

Oh, I'm sure she's a homeschooling mom. Many people change curricula and are thrilled with what they've discovered. I've just never in my life read a thread that sounded exactly like a promotion, describing how the curriculum (which does have a referral program) works in detail and refusing to talk about what they used to use, even in passing. But hey, everyone has their own writing style. I know for a fact that I've come across the wrong way to people because I tend to be very direct, and my sense of humor doesn't really translate on screen. :D

Glad you like Sonlight, momee.

Thanks Heather for the kind words.

And these words are worth their weight in gold...

What you are seeing is the joy of having put down a burden that was too much for her to bear, and finding that perfect fit

RaeAnne, I sent you a pm that hopefully will make us friends :). I understand about coming across wrong in writing. No problem.

To you new WTM moms, ask alot! of questions. The ladies here are a wealth of info, but take their answers with a grain of salt.

As you can see from Siloam's and my own different reactions to different curricula, what's working well for you and what is for me may be different.

This is great advice. And, Momee, you actually have helped me quite a bit in making my decision to use TOG this coming fall. Your comments about what you didn't like in a book and in TOG was helpful to me. I feel like I'm going into TOG with my eyes wide open.

I really really want SL to work for us but we've recently closed the IG and have left it. We bought SL core 1+2 and history was moving too fast, LA was not our liking - too much jumping around, DD was not liking Science and their worksheets. She's read all the readers and we've done most of the read alouds (not following the IG's order). CHOW was not holding Dd's interest. I don't know what to do about next year...whenever I see threads like this, it makes me want to make it work and wonder what's wrong with us? Am I missing out because we're not using SL? I will still do the readers next year but was wondering if I should give Core 1+2 a try again or go to SOTW 2 and its AG?

I really really want SL to work for us but we've recently closed the IG and have left it. We bought SL core 1+2 and history was moving too fast, LA was not our liking - too much jumping around, DD was not liking Science and their worksheets. She's read all the readers and we've done most of the read alouds (not following the IG's order). CHOW was not holding Dd's interest. I don't know what to do about next year...whenever I see threads like this, it makes me want to make it work and wonder what's wrong with us? Am I missing out because we're not using SL? I will still do the readers next year but was wondering if I should give Core 1+2 a try again or go to SOTW 2 and its AG?

The bolding emphasis is mine.

No, you're not missing out. History is a content subject and there are plenty of good programs out there your dd can learn with, if SL doesn't work for you then try something else.

I don't think SL is perfect at all, I'm just too tired and have a new baby coming, and other things that have made me settle for what gets done. For me, SL gets done. But TOG and SOTW look fun and interesting to me as well, I just know I won't be able to keep up with those right now. And history can't be our emphasis right now, so SL is enough for us. Different people have different reasons for choosing the history programs that they use, look at what you need.

We use SL for history, readers and readalouds. We didn't like the LA so ditched it for FLL and WWE. We never used their Science. I think the strength of SL (besides the convenience of the IG scheduling everything for you) is that in Core 3 and higher, the readers, readalouds and history is all related, which makes it a strong program, in my opinion. There are obviously many ways to arrive at the same destination, though, with history or anything else. I decided for us to take what works for us with SL and get the rest of our subjects elsewhere, which is working out fabulously for us.

I've found that SL, for us, was not worth it until Core 3. That is when everything is pulled together, including readers, around the historical period being studied. Until then, I don't think it necessary or even very enjoyable to study history ala SL. My opinion, of course.

SL does excellent lit for the younger years, but you don't have to do a whole core to enjoy them. I'd use something easy peasy up to grade three or four and add in lots of great books. SL, to me, looks very different from Core 3 up.

Lisa

After 13 years of homeschooling, I am switching to Sonlight for my youngest. I did WTM pretty much "by the book" for my 3 boys, now all high school-aged. Sonlight just looks like a better fit for my 10yo daughter. We'll be doing 3+4 this coming school year, and I'm excited for Core 5 in 6th grade - it looks FUN!

Kimm

No planning, no library book hunting.

No schedule making with the children.

We sat on the couch and read, read, read.

Praying it continues to be a great fit.

I knew I was spending alot of time planning, but didn't realize how great it is to go to the shelf, pull off the book we need to read and put it back when we're done reading. NICE :);)

:)So glad you found what works for you. We're going to use Winter Promise this upcoming school year, but after that we're using Sonlight for the duration. I already own several SL titles for each core, so that's a huge blessing. It truly is wonderful to have things planned out for us, isn't it? I've done my own planning for several years, but my life is way too busy for that now. Plus, I always worry that I'll leave something out, and I end up adding in way too much "stuff." Enjoy your schooling!:D

:grouphug:

nothing is wrong with you, and it could be that SL is just not the curriculum for you, but i've seen several posts on the SL forums suggesting that core 1&2 is a really hard place to start, and rather advanced for the young end of the recommended age range for the core (6-7 yr olds). You consider buying what's missing to do cores 1 and then 2 separately or at least if you choose to try SL in the future after SOTW, try 3 and then 4 separately.

Oh, c'mon! Here I am so patiently trying to decide between a couple of things already. . . then I see this thread and am reminded how much I love the "idea" of Sonlight! We've had a couple cores and have really enjoyed the book selections, but it's SO hard to get it all in!

I'm fantasizing about no planning or shopping around again though ;) hmmm. . .it loves me. . .it loves me not. . . so many choices.

Blessings,

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-Tina ~

-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

My Blog - http://seasonsoflearning.blogspot.com/

Updated 5/16/10 - My Poetry - "Today"

• 4 weeks later...

I tried to stay away from SL for a while mainly ecause of the price but really if you add up the cost of picking and choosing and the time involvement SL ends up the better choice in the end. So I finally succumbed and ordered my first core and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival! I have 3 boys that will be going through it so I figure it will definitely get it's money's worth after 3 runs through it. :tongue_smilie: Now add in the fact that the boys are are pretty close in age and I have two step daughters, SL becomes the best choice because my time is a precious commodity and trying to pull everything together from scratch and plan it was just exhausting and leaving me with very little time to do much else and that was with only 1 HSing and 2 afterschooling. When the other 2 boys get old enough to begin I would be going insane trying to get everything done and together without help so SL is a big blessing to me! I do use a different math(s), LA and science but they are all scripted and pretty open box as well so I don't have to do a insane amount of planning each day and I actually have time to myself or spend with DH :D

so as some commercials would put it.....

SL core 400.00

Time to relax or hang out without a planner PRICELESS :tongue_smilie:

Oh, I'm sure she's a homeschooling mom. Many people change curricula and are thrilled with what they've discovered. I've just never in my life read a thread that sounded exactly like a promotion, describing how the curriculum (which does have a referral program) works in detail and refusing to talk about what they used to use, even in passing. But hey, everyone has their own writing style. I know for a fact that I've come across the wrong way to people because I tend to be very direct, and my sense of humor doesn't really translate on screen. :D

Glad you like Sonlight, momee.

It did seem odd to me also but I wasn't going to go there ;).

I can so relate to the above highlighted comments of yours. As for sense of humor I have given up on that :lol:.

LOL! I hope you take me in the right way, I think you will because we have chatted before, but I find this soooo funny.

I am just the opposite. I get very stressed out doing SL because I can't get a day of reading done in the time we have allotted. Thus I took me 1.5 years minimum to get a year of SL done. I used to get sooo stressed over getting my oldest through the cores (because she loves history and learning), and balancing that with my sensitive history hating three. Ok maybe hating is too strong, but they are very visual and hands on so they didn't like the emotional SL books at all. I had to completely re-do the schedule adding in visual books and hands on, so I had more planning with SL.

But with TOG I don't do the library, I don't use most of the printouts for TOG (no SAP pages), I make one schedule for myself which the kids are welcome to use (and do), but they decide when to do it on their own (or don't play their DS-great motivation for my kids) and I don't have the writing piece.

We just have different needs. For you doing SL is like what doing TOG is for me. Glad you found what works!! :party:

Heather

I am pretty much on the same boat as Heather. I loved the idea of SL and cherish the beautiful books we have acquired through SL Cores P3/4, P4/5 and K (we are just finishing up with K) but I too had to tweak for my tactile/ visual learner. This year, due to lack of time, I decided to use the IG as is. This lasted for I think about 13 or so weeks then I had to change things up again. The reading was not overwhelming at this age but it did become that, given the other books I was adding that I could see would suit some of my sons interests/ likes more. We did ditch the history portion of K because it just became reading/ reading and more reading. Some of the things like what people wore on such and such period in such and such country, was just way too boring for him. We also ditched SL science K after about the same number of weeks I think. We did enjoy the experiments and DVD but all the reading with so much detail and jumping around between topics was just not us (we are more mastery oriented here). For the Core RA books we have enjoyed most this year and we have enjoyed the mapping and timeline (here we made our own wall timeline and just used SL's timeline figures).

Like I said, I liked the idea of SL and love, love, love most of the book selections but my son's learning style and my teaching style (I love planning out, organizing, making schedules and finding books on my own :) just like Heather) I find are better suited for TOG and that is where we are headed next year. I am however also getting SOTW 1 and will either incorporate it now or will hold onto it until UG when TOG has it as an alternative resource.

Hope this helps someone. I feel that the reason why there are so many curriculum companies is because there's no such thing as the perfect company (as someone said up thread). It all depends on what works best for each individual family. Glad SL is working so well for you and I hope it continues to work as well as it is now for your family.

Edited by Guest

Oh, c'mon! Here I am so patiently trying to decide between a couple of things already. . . then I see this thread and am reminded how much I love the "idea" of Sonlight! We've had a couple cores and have really enjoyed the book selections, but it's SO hard to get it all in!

I'm fantasizing about no planning or shopping around again though

That's easy. Go with Heart of Dakota. It isn't so full as Sonlight, being more CM.

I'm really trying not to be discouraged by this! I was all psyched to go with SL 5 this fall. Or maybe 3/4. Or maybe 6. ;) We called an informal meeting to discuss our options, and I threw a few alternative programs to make the discussion interesting. :D The phone rang...my 16dd took over the discussion, and by the time I got back to the table, the girls were raving about another curriculum, and had ditched SL altogether. My 12dd even said that she thought *all reading* was going to be a little boring. Now what. :confused: I want books. I want no planning. I want bread making time. I've still got time to change minds...

Yep...this was *me* a month ago...and I've been wrestling and praying all that time. My breakthrough came this week. Praises. Of course, I had already purchased another complete curriculum a few weeks ago at a fair, :tongue_smilie:, but I now have the strength of will to box it carefully up and return it. And there is nothing at all wrong with that program, but it just wasn't me. We've had 3 disappointing years of using other popular programs, trying to 'make it work'. Now the final decision to use SL has felt like 'it will work'. All the pieces of the puzzle I've been struggling with have fallen neatly into place. Decisions with curriculum are heavy on an experienced homeschooler, because people watch and listen to my choices. That is an awesome responsibility. But ultimately, it is the happiness and growth of my children, as well as the strength and peace of my home at stake. I am thankful to have found a quiet, comfortable place to finally settle. My signature line won't be changing anymore. :)

I totally relate! I love the idea of freedom! However, in looking at SL, it wasn't the right fit for us because it is American History base, which is important to us in terms of studies, but we are Canadian, so that needs to be more the focus.

I looked into other things. Love Angelicum and Kolbe. Again, being in Canada, I had trouble seeing it work.

But in doing some creative searching, I found a couple different choices in Canada. So we are exploring those. I am registering the little one with one of them they will help me lay out the year using materials I have been using, and helping selecting where we may have some holes but still allowing for the Classical education we started this year, and I think the older 2 with the other, this is much like Angelicum and Kolbe. The costs are respectable ;) It is more formally laid out, but the girls were involved in the selection. We can substitute some curriculum if we chose to, which at this point we are not. For them, I can rent the curriculum, so it is really inexpensive! They supply online conferences for some topics.

I am looking forward to not being up til midnight each night getting things set up for the next day. I need quiet time, and by time my teenager gets to bed, it is nearly 10, that hour after his sisters go to bed is when he opens up and talks to me, no attitude, complete openess, so I hate to get rid of it. He's in school all day, soon to be working full time, so I cherish that time...but I am tired.. I'm new, inexperienced, and haven't managed be become fully organized yet, I'm sure time wise it will be less. But with the 'school' we have our planning done. The older 2 kids will be able to set up their next day in about 5 minutes. The little one will still take a little time, but it is ONE child, not 3.

• 8 months later...

This whole thread was encouraging...

love SL. will always have SL as core, but amd oing the whole WWE, FLL track AND doing all the SOTW too WITH SL - totally goes great with it....

thanks all for the reminders! to keep it simple stay with the choice i decided, stop second guessing and just enjoy soak up and learn...

I used SL with my older 4 and they all loved it. Didn't use it exlusively though. I'm getting ready to use it with my younger ones. I do love how it's all set up for you and also how it uses real books to learn history. Thanks for posting :)

My only problem with Sonlight, because I actually LOVE Sonlight books is that I so want to be able to combine all of my children together. With a 3.5 year age gap between the youngest and the oldest that doesn't seem possible without someone not getting what they really need. It's a bummer.

What I did was for instance, I used the older kids "World History" and the younger version "World History" so they were all studying "World History" but reading books on their own level. Then everyone could join in on conversations and stuff. It worked great.

Thanks for posting Angela. It is so nice to hear from others who've used SL. They've been around for a while. I figure there must be something to it. SL, imho, doesn't get the best rep around here sometimes.

It's kinda CM in style which I'm surprised by. The narration after the readings were a surprise and something I'm not used to.

Up to now, our assesment of comprehension have been worksheet, question type format. The kids are really feeling lighter knowing there's no worksheet at the end of the day. It's a jump for me though, because I wonder is retelling what they're reading about really enough.

Off to read more about it on the CM sites I've been to. It's actually a method of WWE and SWB too to have kids retell stuff, even in WEM they're discussing what's interesting to them instead of what a worksheet deems important.

Again, big shift in style for us.

So glad you enjoyed your time with SL. We hope to also.

How about some notebooking pages to help cement in the stuff they learned? :001_smile: