Menu

A truly horrific grammar nightmare!!

I just saw this sentence on one of my other forums. This is sad.

"There has not been one time I have not went into Casey's and the bun has not split and broken into pieces"

So what's up with this??

I think I might have read this, too!

Was it a dining report for Disney?

That IS bad, Stacey! Here are some things I've noticed in the past couple of weeks:

Professionally made sign at a local ballpark had a list of the "Honoree's"

Back of kid's shirt read "We've got character,

How bout' you?

_______ Elementary School

Summer '08

On a flyer: Your invited to a purse party!

They just jump out at me!

Chelle

"There has not been one time I have not went into Casey's and the bun has not split and broken into pieces"

So what's up with this??

I am sorry, I must turn away and not look at this sentence anymore. My eyes are burning. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: There is a sign at the church near my home that reads: Spagetti Diner Tonight! 8pm!

I am sorry, I must turn away and not look at this sentence anymore. My eyes are burning. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: There is a sign at the church near my home that reads: Spagetti Diner Tonight! 8pm!

Well, as long as they can cook better than they can spell . . .

I've become the grammar queen for the "wall" announcements at our church on Sundays. I SO regret getting to church late last week so that I didn't see the announcements until the meet-and-greet time; there was one for "Pleasant Hill's Children's Home.":glare:

Why, oh why do people think they must stick in random apostrophes????

Somewhere in heaven there's a group of English teachers hugging each others' necks and comforting one another, I'm sure.

Our local KFC had the following on their sign a couple of months ago...

"Ask about are $5 bucket"

My Aspie daughter tried to force me to go in and tell them they made an error and they needed to fix it ASAP, LOL. She got angry when I didn't.

Why, oh why do people think they must stick in random apostrophes????

Somewhere in heaven there's a group of English teachers hugging each others' necks and comforting one another, I'm sure.

;) (And for a giggle, take a look at the punctuation-related quotation on Mrs. Mungo's signature on this board!)

The English teachers are probably cuddling all the poor little kittens that have gone to be with them due to those random apostrophes...

That IS bad, Stacey! Here are some things I've noticed in the past couple of weeks:

Professionally made sign at a local ballpark had a list of the "Honoree's"

Back of kid's shirt read "We've got character,

How bout' you?

_______ Elementary School

Summer '08

On a flyer: Your invited to a purse party!

They just jump out at me!

Chelle

A SCHOOL??? :blink:

You've GOT to read "Eats Shoots and Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation" by Lynne Truss. It helped to discover I was not the only stickler in the world over poor grammar in signage. ;) (And for a giggle, take a look at the punctuation-related quotation on Mrs. Mungo's signature on this board!)

I LOVE that book!

Chelle

So what's up with this??

On forums people tend to write like they speak. This is most likely how the person would have spoken if they were face to face with you. Plus, I find myself making some rather funny mistakes, ones I would never make while speaking, when I go back and change what I had originally written just a wee bit. I tend not to proofread before hitting submit. I just type and press enter.:tongue_smilie:

this is in our newspaper today

"students read to Texas class in Wildwood"

okay, so I thought what is a Texas class doing in Wildwood (which is in nj)?

It should have been written either "Students, in Wildwood, read to Texas class"

Or "Wildwood Students read to Texas class"

I mean no-one at the paper thought that the first headline sounded strange.

I've become the grammar queen for the "wall" announcements at our church on Sundays. I SO regret getting to church late last week so that I didn't see the announcements until the meet-and-greet time; there was one for "Pleasant Hill's Children's Home.":glare:

I'm the unofficial editor for our church's lyrics display system (lyrics are projected on big screens). It started when my DH was an assistant on the video team, and I just couldn't help but point out to him when I spotted a mistake (usually either typos or comma/apostrophe problems). Right quick the team lead told me he appreciated the help, because he knew some people get distracted from the worship by errors, and he sure didn't want to show the same error over several services.

Really, really liked his attitude!

So what's up with this??

It's a triple negative. :001_huh:

How's this instead?

Every time I've gone to Casey's, the bun has split and broken into pieces.

Does anyone else feel a sense of calm when reading this new sentance?

I agree with the person who said that this is most likely the way this person speaks and therefore how she types on a message board. I find that all the more sad. Why is it acceptable to speak so poorly in parts of this country?

I'm sorry, Christina! Truly I am, but I have to say it! I agree w/you except on the spelling of the word "sentence"--hee, hee!

On a billboard on Hwy 40: Villa's for sale

Poster in a pizza joint: Have your partys here!

Church bulletin: Kid's fun night! (I always feel sorry for the kids that are left out since it's only for one kid. ;))

I've gotta stop...

Chelle

I see that a LOT on the two boards I go to.

"I've went there many times." Or how about this one: "I'm going to put my books up for sell." Or this one: "I could of (would of, should of) gone, but did'nt."

:glare::001_huh::tongue_smilie:

My dh says I should have been an editor! :D

I'm the unofficial editor for our church's lyrics display system (lyrics are projected on big screens). It started when my DH was an assistant on the video team, and I just couldn't help but point out to him when I spotted a mistake (usually either typos or comma/apostrophe problems). Right quick the team lead told me he appreciated the help, because he knew some people get distracted from the worship by errors, and he sure didn't want to show the same error over several services.

Really, really liked his attitude!

I have been VERY tempted to volunteer for that job!

Chelle