Menu

Boo on Snax! (sports teams)

I am posting this after being reminded by another poster of how kids' sports teams often somehow "require" a bunch of snacks! I love this article and have shared it with my Facebook friends and also all the moms on my kids' teams. The responses are so funny - NO ONE WANTS THE SNACKS! But somehow so many people feel the pressure, like they don't want to be the mom that backs out. Luckily for the past 3 years we haven't had to do the snacks, and I think it's partly due to this article. I keep meaning to send it to the head of our YMCA since the Sports Director also encourages the snacks. Ridiculous!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

NYTimes, Oct. 27

Op-Ed Contributor

Will Play for Food

By HARLAN COBEN

Ridgewood, N.J.

ENOUGH with the organized snacks.

When did this start anyway? I’m at my 7-year-old’s soccer game. The game ends and this week’s designated “snack parent†produces a ginormous variety pack of over-processed chips and an equally gargantuan crate-cum-cooler. Our children swarm like something out of the climactic scene in “The Day of the Locust.â€

Do our kids need yet another bag of Doritos and a juice box with enough sugar to coat a Honda Odyssey? Can’t they just finish playing and have some water?

Call me a spoilsport, but I don’t want to bring a team snack. I hate that first day, when the coach’s spouse passes around the sign-up sheet so we can schedule what parent brings the communal snack on what day. It’s too much pressure. Suppose I’m away? Suppose we want to visit relatives and miss that week? Now we have to find “snack coverage.†And heaven forbid you forget altogether and then the little darlings look longingly for the expected goody and you’re the social pariah who didn’t come through and that one mom, the one who always has the perfect after-school arts ’n’ crafts project, gives you the disapproving eye and head shake.

The scheduled snack is yet another way we cater to our child’s every whim. Guess what? Precious can go an hour — maybe more! — without eating. And if your child can’t make it that long, bring your own snack. Feed your kid’s need, not mine.

Are none of us reading about the obesity of our young people? Do you think it helps their well-being that after every sporting event our children gorge themselves Fall-of-Roman-Empire style on extra calories, extra sugar, extra hydrogenated fat? I recently sat down with Annette O’Neill, a registered dietitian and bona fide nutritionist, and asked her, “Do you think it’s a good idea for our kids to have Cheetos and Kool-Aid after a sporting event?†Her response: “Uh, no.â€

And please don’t get on me about bringing so-called alternative or healthy snacks. I barely remember to put on my son’s shin guards and cleats, not to mention those long socks and that black soccer eye makeup — I don’t have time to slice up 50 orange wedges that the kids will never eat because last week’s cool parent brought Ho Hos and Hawaiian Punch.

This isn’t about ruining anyone’s fun or being the food police, but does the fun always have to revolve around food? Do you know what should be fun when your kid plays soccer? Playing soccer.

While we are on the subject, when your child celebrates a birthday during the school day, maybe we can try for a small cookie or cracker and a rousing, even multicultural, rendition of “Happy Birthday.†Stop with the cupcakes the size of softballs. Have you ever seen the leftovers brought into the school’s main office? By two in the afternoon, the place looks like the San Gennaro festival.

Where did this organized snacking start anyway? Is it a holdover from the toddler years, those half-hour library story times when we trot out Goldfish and those cute Cheerios containers and use the small foods as calming pellets? Is it the Old World philosophy of food-equals-love? Or are we just trying to keep them quiet for our own sake?

I don’t know. I don’t care. But I want you to join me in banning these organized parental sports snacks. Let’s do something for the youths of this country right now and end the American Snack Tyranny.

I will start by asking my friends at the Ridgewood Soccer Association to stop the snacks. Furthermore, I am asking all sport associations in my hometown to follow suit. I encourage the rest of you around the country to contact your league officials and join the fight.

Instead of spending those last few athletic minutes forcing down a fruit roll-up (what mentally malnourished monster, by the way, invented those?), why not have your child gather with his coach, have him or her explain some of the fundamentals (like how being active is healthy!), talk about teamwork or the important life lessons of sports? Maybe even try listening — instead of trying to sneak an extra Chips Ahoy for his younger sibling?

And hey, enjoy your water.

The last baseball team my boys played on (they were 9 at the time) didn't do snacks and it was so nice! This article is absolutely correct. I think if you are asigned a snack you should bring those mini bottles of water and Cutties and call it done. Maybe under your breath you should say, "I brought real food with actual nutrients in them." :tongue_smilie:

I can't find my book right now to do a direct quote :tongue_smilie: but Richard Louv says in "Last Child in the Woods" that never in our history have so many children participated in organized sports -- yet at the same time, childhood obesity has skyrocketed. :glare: Yes, I'm sure many children do run their tails off during a game, but for the most part they are active in spurts - running from one base to the next - nothing at all the warrants an extra 600 calorie post-game snack.

This year for baseball, I told the team mom we were not going to participate because we have a hard enough time just getting there. I was so proud of myself for speaking up. I usually participate and then complain about it to my family.

YEAH!!! I'm proud of you, too!

Heidi

We're doing flag football right now, and were instructed to bring a snack for halftime and the end of the game(games go less than one hour). It was ridiculous how much junk the kids were eating. I made huge homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and brought them and called it a day. Everyone was impressed and no one eomplained.

My husband coaches our younger son's team and he did away with snacks a couple years ago.

Our main baseball complex has a concession stand, which is our league's main source of fund raising.

Dh tells his players' parents to purchase lunch or a snack after the game if their child needs something to eat.

I coach a couple soccer teams. I encourage my team parents to bring healthy snacks for after the game, but I still find myself reminding the families of my 4yo team over and over again (this should go in that other thread:lol:) "PLEASE, Don't give candy to the kids DURING the game!!!" Would you believe, every now and then I find a child on the bleachers with candy in his mouth!... This is during the game, mind you! I also talk to the kids about proper nutrition (& rest) and hope that being on my teams will help them gain a better lifestyle.

ETA: I personally won't take away the tradition of snacks b/c my players find it very motivating and it grows relationships. As long as it is healthy, I'm good with it.

Edited by babysparkler

My children are playing T-Ball/Baseball now, and instead of signing up to bring a snack, we sign up to bring snack $ on a certain night. It's $1 per child and gets them a bag of chips and a gatorade or soda (from the concession stand) after their game. I know it's not the healthiest thing, but we eat pretty healthy at home, so for my children, this is a real treat. They only have about 10 games in the season, so it's not like it's an ongoing thing. My children picked soda the first couple of times, and quickly realized that gatorade would be much better when they were thirsty, so that's what they get now.

I can see where it would get annoying if we had to actually bring the food ourselves, and if our season were much longer. My children are very active (so not overweight), so I don't think some chips and a gatorade after their games is going to hurt.

my players find it very motivating and it grows relationships.

That's an interesting perspective.

What ages are your players?

Do you feel they are motivated to play better because they will get a snack at the end of the match?

How would you say their relationships are better because of snack time?

Ugh! I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I never understood meeting for, what, like 2 hours?, and needing to spend 10-15 minutes of that with organized eating! And eating what? Goldfish crackers and pretzles? Good grief.

Well, ours isn't "organized eating". Once the game is over they run to the concession stand and get their snack. Mine eat theirs in the car on the way home.

My daughter played organized sports for the first time last year and I was shocked by the snack thing. I had no idea this was happening in the world of organized sports. If she plays again this fall, I just might bring this article to the coach and ask if he'd be willing to forgo the snack schedule. I want to teach my children to eat well at mealtimes and if there's extra calorie-burning going on, then a healthy snack to recharge is perfectly fine. There's just no reason for Kool Aid at 7 PM after a soccer game (or the chocolate, or the Skittles, or the Cheetos...).

We are supposed to bring fruit for a half-time snack and something else for after the game. We are there 1 1/2 hours. Some are healthy, some not so much, but none of it is necessary. A lot of things like fruit snacks ds doesn't like so he gives to his brother. I thought of making muffins or something, but with so many food allergies that can also be tricky. Buying chips and juice and fruit for 15 kids and their siblings is expensive!

I totally agree with this. I've been annoyed since about the time I gave birth at the number of people who wanted to feed my child candy.

When I teach a ladies' Bible study, I always have the class vote on whether or not they want to take turns bringing snacks. Most of the classes vote no. (I'm not suggesting the kids should vote on whether or not they get junk food after each ball practice, but perhaps they parents could be consulted.)

That's an interesting perspective.

What ages are your players?

Do you feel they are motivated to play better because they will get a snack at the end of the match?

How would you say their relationships are better because of snack time?

:001_smile: My primary team is 4yo co-ed :001_smile: At this age, they look forward to the "reward" at the end. The relationships are definitely built after the game when the kids all sit on the bleachers together with their snacks, and the parents all "hang out". It gives everyone a reason to stick around and be social, and as the coach, I love to see everyone becoming like extended family. It is a special time for the team.

My other team is 10yo boys, and it isn't really as important to them. They could do without and it wouldn't really bother them too much.

:001_smile: My primary team is 4yo co-ed :001_smile: At this age, they look forward to the "reward" at the end. The relationships are definitely built after the game when the kids all sit on the bleachers together with their snacks, and the parents all "hang out". It gives everyone a reason to stick around and be social, and as the coach, I love to see everyone becoming like extended family. It is a special time for the team.

My other team is 10yo boys, and it isn't really as important to them. They could do without and it wouldn't really bother them too much.

:iagree:

I could take it or leave it and I know some parents would rather leave it but until the kids are about 10yo, we keep it unless the parents speak up. Kids SHOULD be eating several smaller meals a day, not three large meals, and after running around for an hour or two, I don't know many kids who aren't ready for a little something to tide them over. Sure you could argue that it's the parents' responsibility and absolutely it is. I just can't see any reason to stop it unless it's something that's getting out of hand. Maybe it has in some circles...

IMO, the article is a bit dramatic (which I assume was her point). But, people are getting the drift that healthy eating is best. Most snacks *we* see are 100% juices and a small goody. There hasn't been any gorging going on in the past 6 years that my kids have been involved in sports. The argument that it's always some horribly unhealthy thing is over-doing it. Eating is a lifestyle. One sugary snack a week isn't causing obesity...it's the parents' lifestyles that they're passing on to their kids on a daily basis.

I think this is the exception. In our circles the kids usually look around for the snack, grab it, and are off to their car. There is always another kid to pick up/ homework to do, etc. I've always said that if it was a social thing that brought everyone together for a few minutes I'd be more interested in it. We've played many sports in different towns and it is always just the kids grabbing and going off to their cars.

It annoys me but it's not a hill I wish to die on. As far as snacks go I'll go along to get along. I will try to hide my eyeroll when the sign up comes around.

I love that article.

I'm sort of annoyed that my 4 year old's YMCA soccer "team," that is divided into 25 minutes of drills and a 25 minute game, is interrupted in the middle by a ten minute snack break. They received a container of blue gatorade, a snack sized bag of goldfish, and a bag of apples and grapes. I'm like, really? We can't go an HOUR without a snack? Especially when the game gets over at noon?

I'm not gonna buck the crowd and say I won't provide snack. I'm just conflict averse, but it's dumb. If it was a time of community building, that might be different, but the kids take their snacks and go home. They don't sit around together and talk. Maybe that is a result of parents hustling them off, but that seems to be the routine. My kids have now played tball, basketball, softball, and soccer, and it's been the same at all of these.

I refused to do snacks in my summer music classes. For some reason, when the summer curriculum was written, it included crafts and snacks, I guess to make it more "camp-like". Except that it's only a 60 minute class, and preschoolers do NOT need a snack in 60 minutes.

My director was convinced that parents wouldn't go for it, especially since the cost didn't drop. Guess what? I always have a higher enrollment in my "no snack" sections than in the ones that have the snacks.

I'm flying solo here, I think.

My kids' soccer teams do after-game snacks and drinks. Last week, the mother of a 16 year old sent out a group email, encouraging us to bring apple slices and water. Yeah, right. Soccer is a social thing for us; it's a rec league. Part of that is snacks. If she wants to bring apple slices and water, that's fine, but don't put that on me. My kids are welcome to choose whatever they want to bring. For heaven's sake, her son is 16. No one's forcing him to eat anything.

I would feel differently if they were 4 years old.

Love the op-ed piece. :hurray: I tried to mention my thoughts to dd7's team Mom when signing up for snacks. The idea drives me absolutely batty.

I understand that one snack a week won't do much harm. But, you know that's not the case for most of these kids. And it is almost always cookies and a sugary drink. For goodness sake, these kids already have water bottles and ate dinner one hour before.

It's one of my major pet peeves. :D

I rather enjoyed it, and agree with it. I remember when I played softball and soccer as a kid, we received orange slices after our games - no juice, no junk (it was a rule). For soccer, we ate some oranges at half, and some after. It was an all-natural "gatorade". ;) Now, "snacks" after baseball is insane! We participate for both boys even though neither of them can eat most anything in the snacks (gluten free, nothing artificial). We always tell the team-mom up front not to worry about providing safe snacks for our kids, but we feel obligated to provide when it is our turn. I'd much rather not do it, and agree with not only do they necessarily need a snack (especially as they just spent the majority of their time in the dugout munching sunflower seeds), but the majority of what is provided is not something I would want refueling my body (or my child's body) after exercising.

My dh and I run our local LIttle League concession stand. It's been interesting, to say the least. First, our family eats all organic food at home. So, for us to run it is quite ironic. We joked that we were going to start serving wheat berry salads! :lol:

We have been able to get a few healthier things in there - 100% juice, 100% frozen juice bars, and nuts. But, other things just don't sell, unfortunately. We tried fruit and a few other things.

But, this is the largest fundraiser Little League has. Ours raises $20,000/year.

At the beginning of the year, the parents have the option to pay $40 upfront. This gets them a $2 ticket after each game to spend at the concession stand. We require our kids buy the healthier stuff during the week. On weekends, they can get what they want (but still no pop or Gatorade - YUCK!!).

And, most kids DO stay after the games and talk. Parents stay after and talk. It is a nice social thing!