Menu

What writing program do you use?

KIN

What writing program do you use?  

1. 1. What writing program do you use?

Hello,

I'm starting writing with my 3rd grader next fall and am still researching. I thought it would be interesting to see the %'s of who uses what. :) So, poll away! If you can tell me if you like what you use and why, that would be great!

EDITED to ADD:

Creative Writing is supposed to be CLASSICAL WRITING. :) Please vote in Creative writing if you're using Classical Writing! I can't figure out how to change a poll!

I got the book Composition in the Classical Tradition through interlibrary loan and took tons of notes in addition to printing out articles on the various stages of the progymnasmata. Then I created my own composition program for my dds.

For second, we are reading Aesop's fables and then she composes a simple precis narration.

For third, we will be using Old Testament stories as a jumping off point and working on a variety of narrative type writing.

I have the entire 3rd grade language arts that we are doing printed up and am getting ready to load it up at Lulu but it also includes grammar pages to go with the Ruth Heller picture books about the various parts of speech.

Basically, I am using my own language arts/composition program next year.:001_smile:

We are very eclectic... we use the writing in Rod and Staff, which I think is very good as long as you continue to assign those writing exercises across the curriculum. We also use Writing Strands and a bit of IEW. I like to pull from many resources.

I have my eye on classical writing! I know I would love this program, but just don't know if I have the time to commit to 3 children using it!

Thanks,

Jen

Hello,

I'm starting writing with my 3rd grader next fall and am still researching. I thought it would be interesting to see the %'s of who uses what. :) So, poll away! If you can tell me if you like what you use and why, that would be great!

EDITED to ADD:

Creative Writing is supposed to be CLASSICAL WRITING. :) Please vote in Creative writing if you're using Classical Writing! I can't figure out how to change a poll!

Classical Writing. (I voted for Creative in the poll.)

Tapestry of Grace provides me with all I need for writing but I prefer to use the Language Lessons in the early years for a varied approach with tons of snuggle time and applied learning.

We might look into other programs at the higher levels depending on our experience with Writing Aids, The Lost Tools of Writing by Circe looks great to me but my kids are still young.

Who can pick just one?!? We've tried and abandoned some programs. These are the ones we've used with some success:

Wordsmith Apprentice

Write a Super Sentence (Evan Moor)

Paragraph Writing (Evan Moor)

Writing Skills (EPS)

And what we are planning to use in the next few years:

Writing Strands

Jump-In

Wordsmith

Pegasus

We do an eclectic approach to writing, but I am perusing everything I can to come up with something for next year. Feel kind of "lost" in this area, but glad to see I'm not the only one who is still looking.... Here is what we do:

Monday: Cursive Writing

Tuesday: Copy Work (haven't done much yet but working on applying)

Wednesday: Creative Writing- Rough Draft (I edit)

Thursday: Creative Writing- Final Draft (edited & neatly written)

Friday: Journaling

This is my *wish list* for each week but still working on implementing.

BTW, I pulled my 3rd grade dd(9) from ps 6 weeks ago- so I am holding up some of what she was doing there in order to provide some stability in our transition (the creative writing and journaling aspect). I have found this subject the hardest to implement b/c I haven't found any clear guidelines for this and believe she wasn't getting much from ps either. I am drawn to copy work and dictation, but they are foreign to us b/c that is just something they *do not* do in ps and I find it hard to break away from that. Baby steps for me at this time.....:)

At this point I am leaning toward IEW, but am reluctant to purchase due to cost until we know for sure that hs'g is the way we'll continue to go....

We are planning on hs'g again next year- as we are both liking it so far, but I trying to be cautious in my optimism- since this is new to us I want to make sure that it's what we really want to do for the long term. I also have a dd6 still in ps (best suits her needs right now) and a ds3 in preschool. Decisions decisions.......

Jacey

We started IEW last month and are very happy with it, and we used R&S for several years. But we've also tried Writer's Apprentice, Writing Strands, Classical Writing, Imitations and Writing. I've had a terrible time finding something that works for us.

I voted for Writing Strands, as this is what I've used most - in past. I didn't use it for third grade either time, however.

Things I've used below fifth grade include some of the writing work from Rod and Staff and Abeka; McGraw Hill's Spectrum Writing; some of the writing work from Primary and Intermediate Language Lessons; a program called Writer's Express from the Write Source company; Draw Write Now.

Regena

I have used CW for my dd during 3rd grade. For my son we're using WT. I really love them both. My dd is now using CW Homer. Once I outlined the core book I understood the program better. But I like the user friendliness of WT better than Aesop. If Aesop were around when my dd was in Aesop, I'd have picked WT hands down.

So if I had to recommend a program, I'd have to say WT.

I really like the depth of Classical Writing and I like the structure of the progymnasmata. My problem is that I cannot figure out how to take Classical Writing and apply it across the curriculum. So with Classical Writing I have a very nice writing curriculum as a separate subject and my children writing summaries in all of their content classes. I want them to move beyond summary (narration writing) when they reach logic stage. WTM suggests outlining, which is fine, but is basically more summary work.

Why MCT writing?

( I apologize for the numbering. I don't have time to bring my thoughts together properly and I don't want to forget to answer.)

1. I like the progression: sentence, paragraph, essay, advanced writing

2. My kids are engaged. They love the stories. (Only my dd10 has used the program, but the younger children sit in on the lessons because they enjoy the books.)

3. His curriculum is very discussion based. The 4th grade book is called Sentence Island. It is all about what makes a good sentence. We read, we discuss and we apply it to her writing in her content classes.

4. For 5th we are using Paragraph Town. And rather than have her summarize everything she reads, she writes a paragraph. We look it over and discuss how she applied what we have read about paragraphs and what makes a good paragraph and then we move on. I believe that the best way to improve on something is to practice. So we practice writing a paragraph every day.

5. By 6th grade we will be in Essay Voyage. I do feel that a child should be able to write a decent essay by this time. The problem I have with summaries is that they are basically chronological reiterations. I think that is fine for grammar level. It is important to understand what you read. But, by sixth grade I want my child to be able to take the information and think about it. I want her to be able to form a thesis and say something about it - and not in a chronological format. Essay Voyage explains many different ways of rearranging information and helps gently move children away from the standard narrative, chronological summary. I know that Classical Writing will get there eventually. But I do not want my children spending their middle school years summarizing and then throwing them into a sink or swim situation when they are suddenly expected to apply what they have learned and produce amazing essays at the end of Diogenes. (Especially when I can't even figure out how to apply that information.) MCT writing curriculum ends in 9th grade. I think the two programs will have melded together nicely at that point and I will be more comfortable in the process of getting there.

6. I have no intention of abandoning CW. I do not feel that MCT has the depth found in Classical Writing. In CW the student will understand what she writes. But I find that the subject matter is too narrow for too long (which it must be to have that sort of depth) to give the child enough time to practice content area writing long enough to get comfortable with writing. I find a combination of depth (CW) and breadth (MCT) to be a perfect combination.

My problem is that I cannot figure out how to take Classical Writing and apply it across the curriculum. So with Classical Writing I have a very nice writing curriculum as a separate subject and my children writing summaries in all of their content classes.

Yes! I've been thinking and wondering the same thing. How does one use Classical Writing in history or science reports? That is one reason I thought of using IEW, but I'm drawn to Writng Tales followed by CW. How does this look in your day/week? Are you going through CW slower? Just doing the two together? Do you do a separate grammar program as well?

This is a great conversation. I think that you can apply CW across the curriculum if you use only the core book. With that, you have to supply your selections for writing. I think this is what the authors originally had in mind.

It is great stuff, it's just so difficult to apply that the workbooks are really needed. But by the time you add the workbooks you loose flexibilty.

I agree with Melissa B on the frustration of waiting to produce essays until 7th grade. This is something that I go back and forth on. She seems to have found a good blend with MCT and CW. I, too, would like to see how you do this as part of your day-to-day routine.

Kimberly

I voted other because we are doing Classical Writing and TOG.

Classical Writing is our base, and I am just using TOG to supplement what we are learning in CW. Right now it is working on outlining for CW, so in TOG we are using their topics to do a lot of pre-writing. In Homer we will probably work on paragraphs with TOG. Basically I am picking one area to us TOG for, to give her more practice. I am not having her write whole papers with TOG.

Heather

I use MCT for all of our language arts including grammar.

I do Classical Writing by buying all of the supplements (Core, teacher's guides, student guides) reading through everything, taking notes, reading through again, working some of the assignements, and writing out my own plan. I try out my plan for a few weeks and when I feel comfortable with where we are going I sell the teacher's guides and student guides saving only the core book. For Aesop my dd wrote one paper per week. They are fairly short so it wasn't difficult. For Homer we do one paper about every two weeks. We school year round so that is about 20 papers per year. I had to take notes several times out of Homer to come up with a plan that would work for us. I do have my dd do all of the grammar, vocabulary, dictation, etc from the core guide. But we use our own grammar book and I choose the examples that we work from. I plan to use Homer over two years and start Diogenes in 7th grade. I am in the process of reading through Diogenes now. I've done my first read through. But I have quite a ways to go with that text.

I use MCT as a guide for our content writing. My dd10 writes one paper every two weeks for history and one every four weeks in either literature or science. She applies what she has learned so far about paragraph and essay writing. We discuss each paper, looking back over her MCT writing book. Each paper must be at least three paragraphs and have a thesis, an introduction, a body and a conlusion. Next year we will work more on essay format and expanding the essay to a minimum of five paragraphs working up to seven or more.

Right now, oldest is using Igniting Your Writing II.

I was, when I began IYW with him, desperate and willing to try anything. We had curriculum hopped a whole bunch. Somewhere in the first lesson of IYW I realized that writing would be his most difficult subject no matter what curricula we chose. So I decided we'd stick with this one through the end, not because it's the best, but because another change would have made me feel nauseous.

It's actually a pretty good program in terms of scope and sequence. The way it's set up on two levels (intermediate and advanced) allows him to go further in some areas and stay basic in others. All of the basics of good writing are present, without focusing on either creative or expository writing. It's definitely fitting the bill for this kiddo right now. I might use the chapter on outlining with the next three coming up behind him.

I have used the WS ideas for level 1 and thought we would use the level 2 gently. We had a really hard time with the minutae details for our mom/ds interactions. Additionally, ds had a hard time with the forced and small improvements in the few lessons we did.

DS loves to write about various monsters which he names, who live on planets in space which he also names. He is writing creatively and loves to tell made up stories.

My interest is in having a good, thorough and complete program which will continue through to the end of high school/college-prep. I don't want to curriculum hop.

I have bought the CW-Aesop core, CW-Aesop Instructor's Guide for A, and am awaiting the Student Wkbk for A. I also found CW-Homer core at a used bookstore for a very low price and so I bought it. I haven't had enough time to read either of the cores. I did see on the website a few of the lesson contents in Aesop B Student Wkbk that are inappropriate for our belief system, so I would have to find several lesson's contents to substitute. This makes me wonder how many more lessons in the Homer and subsequent levels I would have to substitue. I do like that CW has poetry levels and the Shakespeare level planned. I love that they have a plan through to 12th grade, and the level of depth is obvious.

Yesterday and today I read thoroughly the descriptions and samples on the Peace Hill Press website. I really like what I saw, however ds is 7.5 and in 2nd now. I could get the WWE core and student workbook 1 in May and work through it at a fast pace. Then buy the 2nd workbook and work through it at a faster than one year per book pace but not as fast as the 1st book, and hope that the 3rd workbook will be out when we need it. That feels risky to me. SWB does write quickly, but what if it isn't ready?

Additionally, I did look at Writing Tales. It only has two levels ready and I am concerned with them not having the follow-up levels ready when we need them.

DS and I were discussing our plan for writing curriculum today, before I saw your post. I think we will try WWE at the accelerated pace and if the 3rd workbook isn't ready we will default to CW. Also, he will be allowed to do his beloved creative writing when inspired to. I am not really sure about all of this, still in process. I really need to have WWE in my hand to decide, or at least see the table of contents. Still stressing...:confused:

I voted other because we are doing Classical Writing and TOG.

Classical Writing is our base, and I am just using TOG to supplement what we are learning in CW. Right now it is working on outlining for CW, so in TOG we are using their topics to do a lot of pre-writing. In Homer we will probably work on paragraphs with TOG. Basically I am picking one area to us TOG for, to give her more practice. I am not having her write whole papers with TOG.

Heather

I wish I could have been better at this... This has been the hardest year for us and writing... it was the time I had to invest in reading the cores for both kids... I felt scatter brained and we didn’t accomplish a lot.... I wanted to use the cores with TOG writing, but I couldn’t get my brain to engage and take the time to do it.

I gave up :( and now we are just going to finish out the year w/ TOG WA and the write @home folks and also IEW American History....

We use R & S for English (5th grade) and I outsource the writing to Home2teach. My son has taken several courses and I'm very pleased with the classes and the progress he is making in writing!

With my dd (2nd grade)--my plan is to continue to use FLL and use SWB's new writing program until she is ready for the online classes at home2teach.

Great thread!

Heather:

I'm looking at using Sonlight Core 3 next year with my girls: 11 and 8. I've been curious about their LA program. I know they revamped it. Are you using the new program or old? I'm trying to decide whether to use their LA or something else. I would love to use their's to keep from doing so many subjects separate. Our kids are about the same ages. Except I have a 4 yr old boy. :)

Thanks,

Patty

and made up stuff of my own. My ds(16) went to school through 8th. For 9th, he did some VIE, some Warriner's, some Writing Strands and a efw reports. We were unimpressed. This year, he tried LOTR Literary lessons but the writing assignments failed to spark. Getting desperate by this time for something that looked like high school writing, we tried Format Writing and he is going to do a "term-paper" for the first time.

My dd (11) went to school through 1/2 of 4th grade. Last year, she did a few exercises from Writing Strands, an animal report (2 pages), a couple of letters and a few book reports.

Recently, I tried some of the ideas from the Classical Writing website (rewriting sentences in different tenses and formats, changing nouns and verbs, etc) and it really improved her writing. I just got the Aesop core in the mail though and, at first glance, it seems VERY basic. I was hoping she could use Aesop for the rest of this year and that I could apply some of it to ds. Now I'm not sure. Maybe I need to look at Homer?

Recently, I tried some of the ideas from the Classical Writing website (rewriting sentences in different tenses and formats, changing nouns and verbs, etc) and it really improved her writing. I just got the Aesop core in the mail though and, at first glance, it seems VERY basic. I was hoping she could use Aesop for the rest of this year and that I could apply some of it to ds. Now I'm not sure. Maybe I need to look at Homer?

It is basic, it is the beginning(3-5 grade), since you have the core, look at the list of skills, if there are some they do not know-- pick a more difficult model to practice on, if they already know what is presented, definitly go to Homer. Should be able to sell the Aesop core easily.:)