Menu

Finding the perfect city

I would like to tap the wide ranging experiences here in an attempt to find a place to live.

My DH will be finishing school in December and then moving on from his current job into one using his degree (hopefully). I have a laundry list of requirements for a new location that are the same as millions of people, and therefore keep coming up with very expensive places to live. So I thought I would try the hive. I've done FindYourSpot.com by the way. We are a full-time student/homemaker/retail management family, so money is seriously limited now. If he gets a job in his chosen field, money will quickly and greatly improve, but it will still be a limiting factor.

1) I'm from Chicago. I'm not scared of snow, but I'd like my new place to have lots of sunny days and NOT have the 5 month deep freeze.

2) I'm done with cornfields. I want landscape and greenery.

3) The south is out. O. U. T. out.

4) My most important requirement is: I would like to be close to a medium or major city (30/40 miles is fine), BUT I want space. I'd like to have a couple of acres ideally.

So where is this magical city with limited sprawl, sunny days, lovely landscape, greenery, and limited freezing? (I guess besides San Francisco.)

I would like to tap the wide ranging experiences here in an attempt to find a place to live.

My DH will be finishing school in December and then moving on from his current job into one using his degree (hopefully). I have a laundry list of requirements for a new location that are the same as millions of people, and therefore keep coming up with very expensive places to live. So I thought I would try the hive. I've done FindYourSpot.com by the way. We are a full-time student/homemaker/retail management family, so money is seriously limited now. If he gets a job in his chosen field, money will quickly and greatly improve, but it will still be a limiting factor.

1) I'm from Chicago. I'm not scared of snow, but I'd like my new place to have lots of sunny days and NOT have the 5 month deep freeze.

4) My most important requirement is: I would like to be close to a medium or major city (30/40 miles is fine), BUT I want space. I'd like to have a couple of acres ideally.

So where is this magical city with limited sprawl, sunny days, lovely landscape, greenery, and limited freezing? (I guess besides San Francisco.)

When we hunted all over we ended up falling in love with South Central PA near Gettysburg and I still love it here. We have rolling hills, but the Appalachians aren't far away when we want a mountain fix. Harrisburg and Baltimore are about an hour away. DC and Philly are 2 1/2 hours away. We live on a farm, but my grocery store is 5 minutes away and nearby towns with all the rest of our shopping range from 15 minutes to half an hour - absolutely perfect for our needs. There are cornfields (and other farming) in the area, but not the huge spreads of the midwest and west. They are mainly family farms. Since I grew up in upstate NY, I consider winter here to be incredibly mild and summers tend to not be super hot either.

The ONLY other place that has appealed to us to live is Hawaii, but that's very expensive and so far away from everything.

Otherwise, we've lived in NY, FL, RI, VA, and NC and traveled to every state (and the eastern half of Canada) but Alaska. Traveling is a great way to find areas that appeal to a person...

In this economy, where the jobs are will likely be a major deal too.

Hi Sarah,

We live just north of Colorado Springs, CO and love it here. It's not "perfect" (I'm sure every town/city has at least a few drawbacks) but it seems to meet all of your requirements.

Colorado Springs has 300+ days of sunshine per year. Our winter starts late October and runs through approx. April, but it's never a "deep freeze" for more than a week. We have a few days of snow, interspersed with many sunny days. It's not uncommon to have snow in the morning, and then reach 60-70 degrees in the afternoon and everything melts off. If you live in town (we don't - we're about 1000 feet higher in elevation outside of town), you can go for weeks during the winter with no snow and sunshine.

Very few cornfields and absolutely gorgeous surroundings here. I look out my window and see Pikes Peak (the view from which "America the Beautiful" was based on) every morning. You've got the Rocky Mountain range (which stays snowcapped until mid-summer), beautiful blue skies and tons of wonderful parks for hikes, etc. If you're into the outdoors, this is the place to live (perfect place for hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing, white water rafting, 2 hours to some of the best skiing anywhere, etc). I will mention that because of the climate here (very arid and dry) it's not as "green" as other places. I moved here from the Pacific Northwest, where there's much more rain, so I'm comparing it to that.

N/A

There are lots of smaller towns within that distance of Colorado Springs where you can get a good size piece of land. As mentioned, we live about 15 miles outside of Colorado Springs (on 5 acres in the woods).

Colorado Springs is a VERY homeschooling friendly town (lots of support groups, co-ops, and other options for homeschoolers). The only thing I miss living here is the ocean :sad: (but we do have lakes, so I get my "water fix" that way).

Good luck!

Edited by Dandelion

Hi Sarah,

We live just north of Colorado Springs, CO and love it here. It's not "perfect" (I'm sure every town/city has at least a few drawbacks) but it seems to meet all of your requirements.

Colorado seems to fit the 4th criteria the best of anything I've found. Mountains, by their nature I suppose, limit sprawl.

I'm interested in the "absolutely NO South" perspective, because I did an unexpected "180" in that regard. OP may have solid reasons for feeling that way, to be sure. I respect those, certainly ! If, by chance, she just has preconceived thoughts about "the South", please allow me to suggest giving the area a fair look.

When dh and I were finished graduate school, I told him to pick our location because he had the Ph.D., and I had only the masters. (translation = He would earn the higher salary, so needed first choice, and my degree was "portable" to virtually any location) I stipulated, however, "No Florida, No California, and NO South." (Southern food makes me gag, I'm Yankee/Midwestern in temperament, I loathe hot weather, and I feared moving into a racist zone.)

The chips fell for Birmingham, AL. I could not have felt more miserable over the prospect !

We spent ten years there. I still loathe Southern food, and I still reject racism (which was far less there than I had expected). To my utter astonishment, though, I fell in love with the wonderful people who became our friends there (from all possible ethnicities and backgrounds). Fell permanently in love with the Appalachian foothills of northern Alabama. Found the hot weather there much less fearsome than that of Houston where I grew up, as well as less insufferable than the heat in Dallas, where we live now. Dh would move back there instantly, could he find work. I would follow him in a heartbeat, especially if we could repurchase our old house. (dream house and yard of all we ever have lived in)

In 1985, the metro-Birmingham area was close to one million. (City itself was smaller, of course.) Easy to find acreage close-by. Greenery? Everywhere ! ! ! Hills, rivers, . . . totally beautiful !

I'm comfortable admitting that I was wrong to overly-stereotype a region.

Edited by Orthodox6

I'm interested in the "absolutely NO South" perspective

We spent our entire time in the military in various southern states. My mother is from Mississippi, and I've had loads of experience all over the south. I lived there for a year in high school as well (1996 and living in a town that was at the time fighting to keep prayer in public school and praying over the loudspeaker at football games). So I'm not rejecting it with no experience. I feel like if I get into all the reasons I loathed it, I'm going to derail this thread into another topic all together. So I'll go with "It's so flipping HOT" :svengo:

How about Omaha? It's only a 4 month deep freeze? We would move back there in a heartbeat - we lived on the edge of the city, and found lots of properties nearby that had acreage. City was wonderful - 2 great farm markets, old downtown district, great art museum, theatre, children's museum, awesome zoo, nature center, and baseball! Yet farms are nearby, as they surround the city. So, yes, there are corn fields, but you can always drive in another direction. ;)

It's on the top 10 list for best cities to raise a family.

Do I have a misconception that it is really gray there? I feel like Portland is a city I would adore, but I really need sunshine.

Depends on where you live in the PNW. I lived in Portland for 10 years before moving to Colorado Springs. It is an absolutely beautiful city - lots to enjoy and love about it. However, it rained all the time. The 2-3 months of sunshine in the summer are amazing - but you quickly forget about them after your second or third month of non-stop drizzle. If you enjoy rain (and many people do) then Portland is a wonderful place to live. If you need sunshine (which I definitely do) then you can quickly start feeling depressed when the rainy season starts.

Central/Southern Oregon (around the Bend, OR area for example) has a very different climate. Much sunnier there.

Edited by Dandelion

Do I have a misconception that it is really gray there? I feel like Portland is a city I would adore, but I really need sunshine.

Part of the reason Oregon and Washington are so beautiful is the rain. It's pretty gray from November through April.

BUT it is usually gorgeous here from May through September. Sunny, warm, not extremely humid.

Cat

Part of the reason Oregon and Washington are so beautiful is the rain. It's pretty gray from November through April.

BUT it is usually gorgeous here from May through September. Sunny, warm, not extremely humid.

Cat

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

We miss Portland SO much!

No one appreciates a sunny day as much as a Portlander does! Summers are awesome. And the benefits of living in a great city like Portland do outweigh the poor weather!

How 'bout the Big Tomato?

I wrote a long and lengthy deatiled post about the virtues of living in the big tomato (Sacramento CA) but it timed out and would not post. So here is a very short version of what I wrote....

Lots of jobs, good access to healthcare, homeschool friendly, low cost of living for west coast standards and above average good weather... No humidity or bugs...

I am not a native of the area but have lived here becuase it offers a very affordable life style and San Francisco, the Ocean, Napa, Lake Tahoe and Yosemite are all an hour or less away...

I am an San Francisco native that has lived in Los Angeles, San Fran, Portland and Seattle and Flat Sac is hands down cheaper and can hold its own.

How 'bout the Big Tomato?

I wrote a long and lengthy deatiled post about the virtues of living in the big tomato (Sacramento CA) but it timed out and would not post. So here is a very short version of what I wrote....

Lots of jobs, good access to healthcare, homeschool friendly, low cost of living for west coast standards and above average good weather... No humidity or bugs...

I am not a native of the area but have lived here becuase it offers a very affordable life style and San Francisco, the Ocean, Napa, Lake Tahoe and Yosemite are all an hour or less away...

I am an San Francisco native that has lived in Los Angeles, San Fran, Portland and Seattle and Flat Sac is hands down cheaper and can hold its own.

I was looking at Sacramento. In just looking at the area, it looked like enormous sprawl, but I'll look further into it now. Thanks.

If OP and her dh start considering California, it might be very helpful to them to hear from those of you who moved (as an adult) into CA from some other state. The financial "sticker shock" can trigger massive coronary reactions ! Obviously there are ways to survive moving into CA from elsewhere, because people do it successfully. We had an opportunity to move there many years ago, but the increased cost of living would have destroyed us immediately.

Have you considered Rhode Island?

We lived in Newport, which wouldn't meet your need for acreage, but I like Providence. It definitely fits the limited sprawl. Most of Rhode Island is rural, and it's so small you can't be far from Providence. :lol: (Although distances can be deceptive.)

I'd look into the area around Exeter (because then you'd be 30 mins or so from the beach too), but you could also go north.

I've lived in both the green side of Oregon and Rhode Island, and I think Rhode Island has fewer gray days than Oregon. Although, I like gray days, so I may not be an accurate judge.

I don't know what the price of property is like in RI these days, but I would say it's worth taking a look.

If OP and her dh start considering California, it might be very helpful to them to hear from those of you who moved (as an adult) into CA from some other state. The financial "sticker shock" can trigger massive coronary reactions ! Obviously there are ways to survive moving into CA from elsewhere, because people do it successfully. We had an opportunity to move there many years ago, but the increased cost of living would have destroyed us immediately.

I am very interested in CA, but for the (coronary inducing) reasons you described, I get a little twitchy thinking about it.

Have you considered Rhode Island?

My husband (who plans on being an actuary) keeps suggesting I look at the East Coast, because it's so heavily populated by insurance companies. I will take a look at Rhode Island. I get these crazy ideas in my head about how places are and I think of the Northeast and conjure up cartoony pictures of longshoreman and Harvard Yard and clam digging.

I know you don't want a 5 month freeze, but I love Madison, WI. If my husband could get a job there in his industry, we would be back there in a second.

There's a lot of people with diverse opinions, all of the benefits that come with a huge university, a great farmer's market, and fantastic CSAs. I don't know how many homeschoolers there are there, but my guess would be that there are plenty. Chicago is plenty close enough for a weekend trip.

:sigh: I miss it there.

No one appreciates a sunny day as much as a Portlander does! Summers are awesome.

This is SO true. Today is a beautifully sunny spring day and I have numerous "It's sunny!" praises on my facebook page. You would think a miracle had occurred. :smilielol5:

Bend? It is hot as hades in the summer and not nearly as green. Okay, so I've acclimated (grew up in FL) and I think Bend is too hot when compared to the Willamette Valley.

I also grew up in the South. Though I miss the sunny days, I don't miss the bugs, fire ants, mosquitoes, and snakes.

How about Springfield, Missouri? It is in the ozarks - lots of hills and trees. The population is just over 150,000 with a metro area close to 500,000. It is a thriving, fast growing area with a huge homeschooling population. Missouri is a homeschool friendly state. Cost of living here is low. Home prices are great and always have been (there was no crash in the housing market - only a slow down).

It is in southern Missouri which you might consider too "southern".

ETA I live on 3 acres 20 minutes outside the city. So do most of the 350,000 people in the surrounding metro area. There is no metro - just surrounding area.

Edited by Momto2Ns

I would recommend southern PA, Maryland, or Virginia. All of these places have great in-between weather, beautiful hills, and great cities. We've lived in northern NY (too much snow!), PA (relatively low cost of living), Maryland (north of Baltimore in Cockeysville - we LOVED it there - but high cost of living for us (not for everyone.)

We also have family in VA and NC - both great areas. My fil is in Wilmington NC and ABSOLUTELY loves it. My Mil is in Virginia Beach and it is beautiful there - my daughter repeatedly tells me she wants to move there :)

We live in DE - homeschooling is GREAT, weather is great, close to Washington DC, Philly, Baltimore, Lancaster (Amish country), and the ocean beaches, AND cost of living is great (no sales tax!) BUT we don't think it's as beautiful as the hilly areas in PA or MD. :)

I would also cast a vote for CO or Tennesee. Have fun deciding!!

I was looking at Sacramento. In just looking at the area, it looked like enormous sprawl, but I'll look further into it now. Thanks.

Yes it can look that way...but in actuality...if you live center of it you'betcha...but if you live on the edge (as I do---er meaning I live downtown which is the edge) you can find acerage in less than five miles from the state capitol over in Yolo County (west sac) where you can get a 60s ranch style home that might need some updating for less than 300K. Clarksburg is on the river about 9 miles form down town and you'll be in the sticks. Head south from the capitol and just south of elk grove you'll hit the farm land that will make you think you are in Kansas or Iowa. This central Valley is FARM Land haven....in fact the big T is surrounded by farm land except on the east as you head up to the mountains/gold country to Tahoe. Also the closer you live to downtown Sac (the capital) the more expensive it is...if you are willing to live outside of downtown you can get land and a house for less than 350K nowdays...which by CA standards is cheap--not a huge house becuase homes out here are not large but decent sized. Good luck with your search....

Oh my. I hate to ask...

Are we talking sanitation, as in garbage pickup? Like so far in the mountains there are no public utilities? I'm intrigued...

Well, where I live meets all your requirements...

But we don't have treated water. Or garbage pickup. We do have palm trees swaying in the breeze and 6 miles of white sand beach and perfect weather!

Well, where I live meets all your requirements...

But we don't have treated water. Or garbage pickup. We do have palm trees swaying in the breeze and 6 miles of white sand beach and perfect weather!

Ah. And now I see your signature line! If they need actuaries, I'll add it to the list. And I might be forced to take a little trip. It would just be irresponsible of me not to check it out. Right?

Hi Sarah,

Colorado Springs is a VERY homeschooling friendly town (lots of support groups, co-ops, and other options for homeschoolers). The only thing I miss living here is the ocean :sad: (but we do have lakes, so I get my "water fix" that way).

Good luck!

I'm going to second the "move to Colorado" opinion. We live in the suburbs of Denver, and we know people who live further out who have acreage.

I moved here 14 years ago from Chicago, and while I loved certain things about Chicago, I do not miss the clouds. I think this part of the country is an ideal happy medium between having enough sunshine to avoid depression while not having so much that you live in a desert (ugh). Since I grew up in Minnesota, I was not impressed with winter in Chicago, and I am less impressed here. Winter is positively wussy here - you'll love it. They're even gradually learning what snowplows are for, so we kind of have the best of both worlds.

The one thing we don't have here is large bodies of water. I grew up on the Mississippi, and spent 5 years looking out my bedroom window at Lake Michigan. I miss water. But if you want water, you have to deal with clouds, and I for one am better off this way.

Good luck deciding!

Do you want a couple of acres because you want to have pets - dogs, horse, etc or are you wanting to garden - raise your own food.... Since you are from the midwest, I'd recommend that you start looking in the midwest. I'd start at some of the medium sized cities - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Louisville, Columbus Oh, Kansas City, Pittsburg PA. I'd look up to see if they have any companies that would work.

We live in Indiana on 2 acres 10 minutes from the downtown of a city. We get a little bit of both city and country. Even though I'm originally for Los Angeles, I don't think I could garden in the west. It is just too different. The east is too dense and crowded. I don't think I could have 2 acres and be close to a city without spending too much $$$.

Ah. And now I see your signature line! If they need actuaries, I'll add it to the list. And I might be forced to take a little trip. It would just be irresponsible of me not to check it out. Right?

Yes, you have to make a trip. Careful, though. You may never leave. I came here for the first time in October, and now I live here full time and probably will forever.

My recommendation would be Hartford. We lived just outside the city on 2 acres. Loved it. And we knew quite a number of actuaries since Aetna, Cigna, The Hartford, etc. all have huge offices there. You are within easy driving distance to NYC and Boston and very few people there ever actually dig clams. :D

Now we live in L.A. It makes Hartford, CT look like a cheap place to live.

My husband (who plans on being an actuary) keeps suggesting I look at the East Coast, because it's so heavily populated by insurance companies. I will take a look at Rhode Island. I get these crazy ideas in my head about how places are and I think of the Northeast and conjure up cartoony pictures of longshoreman and Harvard Yard and clam digging.

What kind of actuary?

I agree with your husband. You're going to want to go where the jobs are in the specialty he chooses. California might be good, too.

My recommendation would be Hartford. We lived just outside the city on 2 acres. Loved it. And we knew quite a number of actuaries since Aetna, Cigna, The Hartford, etc. all have huge offices there. You are within easy driving distance to NYC and Boston and very few people there ever actually dig clams. :D

Now we live in L.A. It makes Hartford, CT look like a cheap place to live.

Hartford is the insurance capital! I actually looked at real estate there last night, and there seemed to be a LOT of acreage relatively close to the city. I'm spoiled for world class museums from Chicago, so NYC close by would be mighty nice.

What kind of actuary?

I agree with your husband. You're going to want to go where the jobs are in the specialty he chooses. California might be good, too.

Property and Casualty probably. He can either pass his first test, get a job, and continue the test taking. OR he can go into an actuarial training program where he rotates through departments while he takes exams. I guess I just want to SETTLE! After the military, settling would be lovely. So I want to pick the right place.

Property and Casualty probably. He can either pass his first test, get a job, and continue the test taking. OR he can go into an actuarial training program where he rotates through departments while he takes exams. I guess I just want to SETTLE! After the military, settling would be lovely. So I want to pick the right place.

Texas might be worth considering, too.

The demand for casualty actuaries is expected to be good. Also, in about ten years, they can make about $200K. In 20 with an FSA, about $350K. Those are today's going salaries, but of course, they can vary.

Choose carefully and good luck to your husband on the exams! :)