Menu

What are you using for mathematics and why?

Melenie

I have been looking for Math alternatives for DD for a few months now. I have asked for help on the boards (not the ALB) and have found what I thought would be helpful to DD, but now I am doubting myself again.

I would love to know what Math programs you are using and why you picked it.

We started with RSM A and she was interested in the beginning. It became a little to visual for her after a while. She does not like to imagine the abacus, she likes facts since she can memorize them easily. So I thought it would be a good idea to go with something like CLE next year. After seeing some of the Richard Rusczyk video, I think I may have made a mistake to cater to her comfort. I now have CLE, but I am not sure if I want to use it. I like that it is a work book and that she can work independently (something that appeals to Miss Perfect), but I feel it may be taking the easy way out and looking at our problem from one angle only.

We have done puzzles and word problems together and she loves them and does very well. She is a wordy child and feels comfortable with words so she is willing to stick it out a bit more and try harder.

I am somewhat out of my comfort zone when it comes to mathematics. I need a program that is both easy to teach and will appeal to her.

Sorry about the ramble, but I fell like I have just done a 360 on math and am right back to where I was months ago.

TIA

Edited by Melenie

I have used a combination of programs. With my younger elementary children, I use Singapore, Hands-on-Equations, and Calculus by and for Young People. I was drawn to Singapore math because of its conceptual focus as well as its emphasis on mental math. I like the other programs because they provide higher level learning in a format my young children enjoy.

Singapore as the spine, mostly because DD is a really visual kid and LOVES the pictures (and will spend a LONG time coloring them after doing a page). I also quite like MEP, and am using it here and there. And I just ordered Algebra Tiles and their workbook for her, because she's playing with creating equations and I thought she might enjoy them.

We use k12.com math b/c my ds is in a virtual public school. However, I supplement that with Abeka. Ds love Abeka and really likes the way concepts are presented. We are also using Life of Fred books b/c he really loves the stories. I also just purchased Art of Problem Solving Introduction to Algebra however this is not what we are studying this is above what we are studying but ds is just about ready for it. We haven't actually used this book yet though. I also used a lot of computer games and Leapster games.

I'm using Singapore because it does not have all the mind-numbing repetition that some other programs seem to have. We like to spend some time on one topic, then move on to something completely different a few weeks later. And when I looked at the samples, it just seemed to click with me. As in, "Oh, that's how I do math! Why couldn't they teach it to me this way in school?"

I have used a combination of programs. With my younger elementary children, I use Singapore, Hands-on-Equations, and Calculus by and for Young People. I was drawn to Singapore math because of its conceptual focus as well as its emphasis on mental math. I like the other programs because they provide higher level learning in a format my young children enjoy.

We use these 3 also....Singapore is our main math. We also use one of the math problem books recommended by AOPS for middle schoolers (titled Creative Problem Solving in School Mathematics)

We generally go through more than one level of Singapore/year, so I have no problem spending time on those other math supplements. My kids think they are fun.

I too was drawn to SM because of the conceptual focus. And the TIMMS results. And that it's easier to cover each topic at our own pace. I wish I had been taught this way!

Mostly Singapore Primary Maths with my youngers, because like others have said, mine don't need as much repetition as some children. My youngest also uses Miquon, as did my others, though only my third did the whole series.

Right now, my oldest is using MEP, because it can also be adjusted to move pretty quickly, and he likes the in-depth coverage combined with the relatively quickly changing topics. My second is using Life of Fred. It's a very entertaining approach to middle and high school math, but she's beginning to need more repetition, so I'm thinking of switching to Dolciani for Algebra 1. (It worked fine for me when I was in school.)

I am using Mathematical Reasoning by the Critical Thinking Company. It does an amazing job relating math to real life. I tried Horizons and Miquon and they don't compare. My oldest ds is a auditory/thinker/analyzer type of learner so he understands math better when it isn't isolated concepts on a page. My younger son is a visual/spatial learner and he loves it too. It gives him opportunities to express his creativity with coloring some pages. Activities are varied throughout the book so boredom is lessened. It does not have a lot of drill which is perfect for my boys.

Thanks for your replies. It seems that SM is a popular choice. We did Early Bird when DD was almost 4 and breezed through it (as I know many do). After that I moved on to RSM, maybe I need to give the Primary Math a look over.

I have a few of the Critical Thinking company books and DD enjoys that.

I am using Right Start B (almost finished!) for my youngest, ds5. He will do Right Start C in the fall.

For my older kids, dd11 and ds9, I am using Videotext Algebra.

Dd11 did Modules A, B, and will finish C this year. She will do D, E, and F next year. And then we will decide whether to go on to Geometry or do a different algebra program first. If we do something else, it will probably be Art of Problem Solving Algebra.

Ds9 is also doing the same thing, but I am doing most of the scribing for him. He just doesn't have the writing stamina to do it on his own. I am hoping that he will do the Art of Problem Solving Course after finishing this. He has plenty of time and hopefully he can get the writing down enough to do it on his own.

Right now, we are using Horizons. In a few months, we will begin Singapore 1A as our spine and use Horizons as the supplement. Two main reasons: I like giving her different ways to approach stuff mathematically and I'm noticing that my big girl tears through math programs so I want to make sure she has "enough" and to slow her down.

I also have Challenging Word Problems and Primary Challenge Math to use later on as well.

Edited by MissKNG

My dh was already set against Saxon because it was what he used when he was homeschooled. He is a math-oriented person and he thought Saxon lacked critical thinking/ problem solving skills and was unnecessarily repetitious. He is a natural at math, and was able to learn problem-solving in spite of using Saxon, not because of it. I had heard about Singapore Math, but was tossing around all sorts of things like Horizons and R&S Math. When my dh and I began looking into homeschooling curricula, we attended a homeschooling convention while our eldest child was still a baby. I think a Sonlight representative had Singapore Math samples sitting out on the table. When I showed dh, he was sold. I heard good things about Miquon, so I added that to the mix for the early grades. I have begun supplementing with Life of Fred for fun recently because my dd likes the presentation.

We've used Singapore as our core math program from the very beginning. I use IP, CWP and the CD-ROM games in conjunction with the workbooks and textbooks. I've never been tempted away by other math programs because Singapore works so well for my kids.

We primarily use SM, although I take bits and pieces from MEP. I chose SM because it seemed like a good fit for the way I think, and I figured I could add in extra practice if we needed it. It would be an understatement to say that it is a great fit for DD (too early to say with DS). Maybe she would have been as successful with another math option, but we are both very pleased with SM.

I'm using Singapore because it does not have all the mind-numbing repetition that some other programs seem to have."

:iagree: We love SM for exactly this reason. We also do speed drills to work on math facts - ds likes to 'race' to try to beat his own record for the most math facts answered correctly in 5 minutes. I also picked up some random math workbooks at a teacher supply store sale so we periodically do a section out of one of them.

We use three math programs too. We use Singapore plus CWP for our main math and supplement with Horizons and Miquon. Singapore is perfect for my ds as he doesn't need repetition. He likes that it's quick and to the point, but includes the conceptual understanding. I use Horizons with him mainly to slow him down, but also so that we'll get the traditional US S&S. Miquon is purely for fun. He likes to discover math concepts on his own and does better when he isn't confined by the lessons.

I'm planning on using all three with my bright, but less mathy 4yo when he comes of age, but we'll probably go slower.

My dd5 is a bit like yours--less visual and more verbal. After doing Horizons K this year, I have decided to more to CSMP for next year. It uses storybooks to demonstrate certain concepts. It has a lot of word problems and games. There is a substantial visual component, but it is presented in the form of games that we can play together. (She is a very social child.)

Tracy

We've used Singapore as our core math program from the very beginning. I use IP, CWP and the CD-ROM games in conjunction with the workbooks and textbooks. I've never been tempted away by other math programs because Singapore works so well for my kids.

What she said! :D

After seeing some of the Richard Rusczyk video, I may have made a mistake to cater to her comfort. I now have CLE, but I am not sure if I want to use it. I like that it is a work book and that she can work independently (something that appeals to Miss Perfect), but I feel it may be taking the easy way out and looking at our problem from one angle only.

I watched the Richard Rusczyk video myself, and while I agree with much of what he says, my take of it was that his talk was aimed more at the upper elementary [and up] age group rather than early elementary, and your daughter is 6 if I understand correctly. That is not to say that that early elementary students are incapable of problem solving, but that his talk was aimed more at older students.

With my own daughter in 2nd grade I used Saxon 3. It solidified the basics, and she knows the math facts automatically. It taught regrouping (what many of us used to call "carrying" and "borrowing") using dollars - which are base 10. It did not hinder her, nor do I regret using it. We also used Singapore. I like both programs!

We have the RS math games as well, but we don't get them out that often.

I have no experience with CLE, but if it is working for you, I would not stop using it. If you want to show her a more visual way in addition to CLE, you could add in Singapore a few days a week.

Singapore is very good curriculum in the way it encourages problem solving...I think because it wants the student to draw bar diagrams. I learn best visually, so I interpret this as a strength of the program. I especially like the IP books, because they are harder and force her the student to think in more depth about the topic of the chapter.

There are other curriculums, like MEP, that are I think look very thorough, too, but since I have used Singapore more, I prefer to comment on what I have used the most of.

My daughter [just turned 10] is now using Mathematics 6 (Russian Math), EPGY, and Singapore Math IP Book 5B. I like both the IP5B and Math 6 the most because the problems require more thought and demand more of her. In addition, I like the Russian Math because of the more formal math language in the book. It has more of a tone of the math books I used in undergraduate math classes.

Two important things to consider when evaluating curriculum [that are often overlooked] include the ability of the teacher and the ability of the student. One curriculum that one person thinks is lousy may be taught in such a way by a competent teacher that the conceptual understanding is completely understood by a competent student - regardless of the curriculum! Another "great" - approved of - curriculum may be taught in such a way as to not be understood by a student. There are all sorts of gray areas, too. ;) It has to do with how you (the teacher) best learn math and communicate it to her and also how she learns best.

There exists no such thing as a perfect curriculum. The trick is to identify the strengths and weaknesses of a particular program and your understanding and communicating of that curriculum and adapt or supplement appropriately.

Good luck :)

I watched the Richard Rusczyk video myself, and while I agree with much of what he says, my take of it was that his talk was aimed more at the upper elementary [and up] age group rather than early elementary, and your daughter is 6 if I understand correctly. That is not to say that that early elementary students are incapable of problem solving, but that his talk was aimed more at older students.

With my own daughter in 2nd grade I used Saxon 3. It solidified the basics, and she knows the math facts automatically. It taught regrouping (what many of us used to call "carrying" and "borrowing") using dollars - which are base 10. It did not hinder her, nor do I regret using it. We also used Singapore. I like both programs!

We have the RS math games as well, but we don't get them out that often.

I have no experience with CLE, but if it is working for you, I would not stop using it. If you want to show her a more visual way in addition to CLE, you could add in Singapore a few days a week.

Singapore is very good curriculum in the way it encourages problem solving...I think because it wants the student to draw bar diagrams. I learn best visually, so I interpret this as a strength of the program. I especially like the IP books, because they are harder and force her the student to think in more depth about the topic of the chapter.

There are other curriculums, like MEP, that are I think look very thorough, too, but since I have used Singapore more, I prefer to comment on what I have used the most of.

My daughter [just turned 10] is now using Mathematics 6 (Russian Math), EPGY, and Singapore Math IP Book 5B. I like both the IP5B and Math 6 the most because the problems require more thought and demand more of her. In addition, I like the Russian Math because of the more formal math language in the book. It has more of a tone of the math books I used in undergraduate math classes.

Two important things to consider when evaluating curriculum [that are often overlooked] include the ability of the teacher and the ability of the student. One curriculum that one person thinks is lousy may be taught in such a way by a competent teacher that the conceptual understanding is completely understood by a competent student - regardless of the curriculum! Another "great" - approved of - curriculum may be taught in such a way as to not be understood by a student. There are all sorts of gray areas, too. ;) It has to do with how you (the teacher) best learn math and communicate it to her and also how she learns best.

There exists no such thing as a perfect curriculum. The trick is to identify the strengths and weaknesses of a particular program and your understanding and communicating of that curriculum and adapt or supplement appropriately.

Good luck :)

I have not finished watching the video yet, but my thought was that I liked the way he approaches Math. It makes it exciting to teach and learn. I want to pick something that we can stick with and not have to change later on. I now think that CLE is not it. I have it on the shelf and was going to start it in the fall, but I think SM is going to be a better choice for the long run.

Thanks for all your replies. Even after buying CLE I was not sure that it was the right choice. I feel more confident about my choice to use SM.

I am using LOF with my youngest. SHe likes it better than other things and she is learning it well and quickly. I am using ChaldDUst ALgebra 2 for my older dd who is not math gifted and this is not going as well but not that badly either. Haven't decided what I am doing with the older next year. The younger is half done with Algebra and will move onto Algebra 2 this summer.

We have used RightStart and are just starting level E. My son does love the visual aspects and the geometry, though I can't say we spent much time on visualizing the abacus. He has amazing mental math and problem solving skills, though I wouldn't guarantee it is from the program. I am trying to decide where to go after E, he is excited to do the geometry and we may do that along with Singapore 5 or 6. But even though we have ended up skpping and going through some of it really quickly he generally loves math and I wanted to stick with what he enjoyed.

I would not allow a child to simply memorize. She must understand how numbers fit to understand how they work. Allowing a child to memorize in the early years sets him up for failure later.

I've already remediated one child for that (not mine) but have seen it far, far more often than that. Often, math is the "favorite subject" for these children until they're forced to work primarily conceptually.

I would not allow a child to simply memorize. She must understand how numbers fit to understand how they work. Allowing a child to memorize in the early years sets him up for failure later.

I've already remediated one child for that (not mine) but have seen it far, far more often than that. Often, math is the "favorite subject" for these children until they're forced to work primarily conceptually.

I think that's a good point. I was just discussing with my dh a couple of weeks ago that I'm going to watch my ds3 carefully with math because he easily memorizes everything. It's a nice trick, but I don't want him to fake it through math just by memorizing his facts.

I have three dc. My younger two:

Singapore Math. Great for word problems & heuristics.

MUS because my middle one is vs (not really geared for gifted dc) and it solved a few arguments she had with me when learning in SM (she did both). eg, she argued tooth & nail against regrouping in addition & subtraction until she watched it on MUS. She's not my most stubborn dc and doesn't always argue about math. DS has not done as much MUS but would like to add it back for fun.

CWP ds is doing this, but it's going out of print.

MEP ds did this as a summer math. He liked it and it gave some different perspectives.

Mathematics by Perpendicular Press (http://www.perpendicularpress.com) which is a Russian math my middle dd did after SM 6. It helped her with the lingusitic aspects of math; she's highly vs and had difficulty with that. It also served as pre-Algebra. Rigourous, and there were a few things she hadn't done before such as to be given some information and told to write her own word problem.

Life of Fred. My ds is doing Fractions (he likes math, so does a lot of it) middle one is doing Beginning Algebra (not quite 12 yet). Fun, somewhat out of the box, written my a mathematician who homeschooled his dc. It starts with Fractions & Decimals, but we didn't have it when she learned that.

My eldest:

Saxon for 3 years after ps. It is NOT my style of math, but she did it on her own. We skipped oodles of problems and all the review chapters at the beginning of the second 2 books she did. We chose it because it was recommended in the first edition of WTM and by others. I don't think that the word problems are nearly as good, and based on her (who is very mathy) and a couple of other dc (so not a statistically significant number ;)) and what I saw trying it with my middle dd for K & part of 1 levels, is that it's not good for teaching dc to think outside the box and that the word problems aren't as strong. My eldest had a mind like a steel trap for arithmetic and didn't need much review if any.

Gelfand's Algebra (my eldest has done about 1/3 of this--great for the theory & thinking of Algebra)

1965 Dolciani Algebra (Structure & Method) because it is new math at its best

LoF Geometry combined with Dressler Geometry & Birkhoff & Beatly Geometry text. LoF because she got to choose her own. The others because no Geometry text is perfect (she only did parts of those.)

I think that's a good point. I was just discussing with my dh a couple of weeks ago that I'm going to watch my ds3 carefully with math because he easily memorizes everything. It's a nice trick, but I don't want him to fake it through math just by memorizing his facts.

None of my dc have learned their math facts by rote and all are mathy. My dd's learned their facts by doing math, which is how ds is learning them. Also, they have to understand why & when they need to add, subtract, mulitiply, divide, etc.

:iagree:

. My second is using Life of Fred. It's a very entertaining approach to middle and high school math, but she's beginning to need more repetition, so I'm thinking of switching to Dolciani for Algebra 1. (It worked fine for me when I was in school.)

Another idea is to do both LoF & Dolciani. My 11 yo is racing through LOF Beginning Algebra, which she's going to follow with Advanced Algebra. Then she'll do it again with either the 1965 or 1975 Dolciani Structure and Method (by far the best years of Dolciani fall into that range, and I own those 2) along with Gelfand's Algebra (for the theory). We did this for dd because she wasn't ready for Geometry with proofs, but after reading recommendations on the hs board from math gurus, I am sold on doing it twice. This is recommended by one of the math gurus on the hs forum who teaches math (and is pg herself.)

Edited by Karin

We really like CLE for all three of my kids. Yacko & Wacko are doing really well, and Dot is blowing the doors off with it. Some people say it's not conceptual enough, but the kids really do GET the math, and honestly IMO that is what's important. There is lots of review built in, but you don't have to do it if your child doesn't need it. The CLE police are not going to hunt you do if you don't do the timed drills. ;)

Additionally, CLE introduces geometry and algebra concepts MUCH earlier than other programs. You're coasting along and suddenly realize your 6 year knows how to solve a 3-column addition problem in which they have to carry to the tens and hundreds, and you don't remember teaching it!

I think we get caught up in how things are "supposed" to be, but our kids need something else. Dot does NOT do well with oral lessons. SOTW has been a total disaster. But give her a workbook and not only does she blow through it, she retains and enjoys it. Some kids are like that, and IMO if they can learn that way, more power to them. If for whatever reason they need to go to school at some point, they'll be ok.

edited because geography and geometry are not the same thing. :p

Edited by skaterbabs

We had some trial and error in the beginning. We started with Saxon style math and hated it (the old edition). We used it because someone gave it to me for free, but it just didn't work for us.

Then we did Singapore Math Earlybird (all my boys enjoyed it) and 1A-2B. I chose that program because it incorporated all 4 programs into the first few books but my oldest wasn't retaining the material. He would do all the problems right one day and miss them all the next. Though he always did the CWP correctly.

We took our son to see a specialist to find out why math was such a hit and miss for him and they suggested doing Kumon with him. The closest Kumon center was more then an hours drive one way and the cost was a bit steep for us. They suggested Math U See.

So we watched the demo video and decided that it was exactly what we wanted. It has really been a great program for both my non-math oldest and my math whiz 2nd. I like the fact that it covers just one major concept per text. But I must admit we have to do two books a year to keep them at a happy pace.

We are also using Life of Fred as a supplement.