Menu

what's a good middle name for

Nate?

or

Tad?

It cannot be Alexander.

If possible, it would start with an L or M (but not necessary)

What do you think of these names for a boy?

If you used Theodore for a first name how would you shorten it? I do not like Theo or Ted or Teddy but could not imagine saying Theodore all day long (that's why it's not at the top of my list. DH loves it).

I'm not a big fan of single syllable first names. There are a few exceptions.

I would go with Nathan and call him Nate. I have a distant cousin named Tad. I wonder what his middle name is. Hmm?

For Theodore, I would call him T if you don't like Theo, Ted or Teddy.

HTH and good luck!

Nate and Tad are nicknames, imo. Are you thinking of Nathan or Nathaniel? Thadeus? I think it is easier to find a middle name for a multisyllabic first name. With a longer first name, you can use a shorter middle name; Nathan James, fi, or Thadeus John. That sounds stronger/better to me.

If Nate is your choice, I would be thinking about grounding, serious middles names, like Alexander. lol ;) Two short names don't work in my head. Nate /Tad alone sound flighty. Thadeus William is nice. TW is a cute nickname. lol

We've used family names for all of our children, in some form. So I'd sift through and see if you can find a strong 3 syllable name to go with a short first name. Personally, I think Nate Christopher would work well if you can't reuse Alexander. Madison, Jefferson, Harrison work for me; they mentally/emotionally to balance the short, less serious first name, even though there is not a single president in my ancestry. ;) Is there a William in your family? William is a good name and Will is a great nickname. Sam is as well. Samuel Thadeus. Tad William. I'm just trying them on. lol

I am so like This. lol

Edited by LibraryLover

One of my favorite authors is named Tad Williams. The name rolls nicely off the tongue. You could always name him Tad William Jones.

Of course, people who like Tad Williams' books will think you named him after the author. So, you'd better make sure you want people thinking you like a fantasy author.

My nephew is named Timothy Abraham
This caused me to startle a bit...my maiden name was Abraham, and it's my middle son's middle name. I have a cousin whose 1st name is Timothy and last name is Abraham. It's just not a name you see very often! :)

Nate?

or

Tad?

It cannot be Alexander.

If you used Theodore for a first name how would you shorten it? I do not like Theo or Ted or Teddy but could not imagine saying Theodore all day long (that's why it's not at the top of my list. DH loves it).

Nate Leonardo

Nate Livingston

Nate Maximus

Nate Maxwell

Tad Laurent

Tad Lazarus

Tad Liam

Tad Luken

Tad Magnus

Tad Maximillian

Tad Massimo

If you do Theodore, you could just call him T. or use both initials like T.C.

I like it in spanish.. Teodoro

Theodore Cash?

Edited by helena

Nathan goes very nicely with Noel or another two syllable middle name that is stressed on the last syllable.

You haven't said how many syllables in the last name nor where the stress is within the last name. It matters that the whole package trip lightly off the tongue. :lol:

The two names above go very nicely with a single syllable last name like Bass or Hicks, or a three syllable name such as Ellington or Dickinson.

Both:

William

Gregory

Keith

Patrick

Michael

Christopher

Jonathon

Philip

Wesley

Robert

Edward

Conner

Nate:

Grayson

Cody

Timothy

Tad:

Clayton

I also love Theodore. Friends of ours finally agreed on Ted insted of Theodore but now I think they regret it. They were trying to follow their first son's name of Tod (yep, one 'd').

Jonah. Just because I have a "Todd Jonah" and it goes well together. Or Jonas, although with the Jonas brothers, I'd be hesitant to use that.

If your husband likes Theodore, maybe he'd like Thaddeus--and you could call him "Thad" or "Tad".

Betsy

Nate?

or

Tad?

It cannot be Alexander.

Jonah. Just because I have a "Todd Jonah" and it goes well together. Or Jonas, although with the Jonas brothers, I'd be hesitant to use that.

If your husband likes Theodore, maybe he'd like Thaddeus--and you could call him "Thad" or "Tad".

Betsy

Not to mention calling 'Theodore!" outside may caused raised eyebrows and/or images of The Chipmunks. ;)