Menu

what do you use for Bible teaching K-1

misidawnrn

I posted a question earlier about online bible curriculum and I like one of them but it seems a little advanced for my DD.

What do you do for teaching the Bible? I have everything else figured out (sort of!) but I am stuck on the Bible. I want her to have a good education in it, not just what I can think up for the day so a set curriculum would be great.

Thanks!

2 days of homeschooling down....lots and lots and lots and lots to go!

I'm using CLP's Bible curriculum. I'm not OVERLY thrilled with it, but I do like their first grade curriculum as it covers the First Catechism question by question. I'm not sure what I'm going to do for 2nd grade. I may just continue to use their materials, but I'm not sure.

We used Greenleaf's Guide to the OT for K. We didn't do all the questions or activities, but we did all the reading. I let my dc narrate CM style mostly.

I learned a lot reading through the OT chronoligically as opposed to bits and pieces here and there. (and I grew up going to SS every Sunday!!!) It was most certainly NOT too much for ds. He remembers most of it still.

We are ambling our way through the NT now, and I'll take our dc through GL's guide to OT again for hte sake of my younger 2 dc. My oldest will likely enjoy more mapping and geneology activities the next time around.

We piggy-backed a simple study of Ancient Egypt along with the OT. It was a fun and productive year!

We used Greenleaf's Guide to the OT for K. We didn't do all the questions or activities, but we did all the reading. I let my dc narrate CM style mostly.

I learned a lot reading through the OT chronoligically as opposed to bits and pieces here and there. (and I grew up going to SS every Sunday!!!) It was most certainly NOT too much for ds. He remembers most of it still.

We are ambling our way through the NT now, and I'll take our dc through GL's guide to OT again for hte sake of my younger 2 dc. My oldest will likely enjoy more mapping and geneology activities the next time around.

We piggy-backed a simple study of Ancient Egypt along with the OT. It was a fun and productive year!

I totally agree about the reading through chronologically bit!

We too will most likely use Greenleaf's Guide to the OT (as a resource in 2nd grade when we begin Genesis-Joshua/OTAE using VP Bible/History cards), but for now we're using the Children's ESV, The Child's Story Bible by Vos, The Big Picture Bible Timeline, The Student Bible Atlas, and The Children's Illustrated Bible.

K5 (Old Testament):

Reading one chapter in the morning (4 days a week) from the CSB and color corresponding timeline page, while referring to atlas as needed. This will take us through most of the school year. Additional resources include the Tabernacle Model and The Pictorial Guide to the Tabernacle.

Once we've read through the OT in the CSB, then we'll begin again using the Children's Illustrated Bible (end of school year thru summer). Additional resources will include The Big Book of Questions and Answers.

*Reading from Children's ESV at night.

G1 (New Testament):

Reading one chapter in the morning (4 days a week) from the CSB and color corresponding timeline page, while referring to atlas as needed. This will take us through most of the school year. Additional resources will include The Pictorial Guide to the Temple.

Once we've read through the NT in the CSB, then we'll begin again using the Children's Illustrated Bible (end of school year thru summer). Additional resources will include The Big Book of Questions and Answers About Jesus.

*Reading from Children's ESV at night.

HTH!

:001_smile: Melissa

We will be doing K next year and plan to do The Child's Story Bible with the timeline from Gospel Light. We are already learning the First Catechism from Great Commission Publications and will continue with that and Bible memory.

Two great story Bibles that have really helped my dd (almost 5yo) to get an idea of the Bible as one Story and not just random, unconnected stories are:

The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones - my absolute favorite!

The Big Picture Story Bible by David Helm

dd # 1 - Egermeier's book of Bible stories in K. She loved it, so I repeated it again in 1st (when the curriculum I bought for that year didn't work out).

dd # 2 - I had a baby and packed for an international move during her K year. I have no recollection of what we used for Bible. When she was in 1st we did Bible Study Guide for All Ages.

ds # 1 - Bible Study Guide for All Ages in K; Animal-themed devotional books in 1st

twin dd and ds - in K now, just following along with older siblings. We used an inductive Bible study for children, but did it orally. By spending 2-3 days on each story, and asking the "who, what, when, where, why, and how" questions, then drawing a picture, they're really retaining better. In 1st grade they'll be doing CLE Bible 300 (orally), along with older siblings who will be in the 3rd and 4th grades. (I really like CLE Bible 300 and 400; we may try other years later).

Blessings,

Laura

We read from my dd1's Children's Bible (ESV). There are lots of great pics so we read basically any story that has a pic to go with it for the OT. NT - we read things with & w/out pics.

We read one OT story/chapter and one NT story/chapter/day.

Then we recap & talk about what we learned.

Then we pray (each take a turn).

Then we work on scripture memorization (& books of the Bible memorization). All and all it takes about 30 min.

We started the year by doing this and having a related craft but I am such a NO PREP person that that went by the wayside after about 2 mo...:tongue_smilie:

We use Explorer's Biblestudy Beginnings 1. We really, really like it and I am very much an open and go type person.

http://www.explorerbiblestudy.org/homeschool.htm

For Bibles, my favorite for this age is The Jesus Storybook Bible. I like Egermeier's but there are not enough pics for my boys to stay with it.

• 3 months later...

In 1-st grade last year with my oldest (6 then) I just read some passages from the Bible (one of the main translations), in order, and talked about them. Used an Atlas, too. We went through the Gospel of Luke, Acts, and some of the letters of Paul, and John. We did read some of the Old Testament stories to during devotional time in the evening with Daddy.

We just recently got "the Jesus Storybook Bible" and we love it! Before that, we would read just a few verses and then discuss (we went through Philippians). Also this Summer we started going through The Small Children's Catechism

http://www.grace.org.uk/faith/childcat.html

which has led to some great teaching and discussion. We will be going through this for a long time.

We also review the books of the Bible.

The only thing I would like to add during the school year is Scripture memorization ( 1 verse per week). I still need to figure out which verses I would like to use though.

We just read a 1 year bible at that age level (one that has every date of the year and we do our daily reading). We talk about what we read, what it means, how to apply it, etc. We also do Childrens Book of Character Building books 1 and book 2 (1 in K and 2 in 1st) I think the link to book 2 is correct, my cover is different but that is all I can find and It looks the same otherwise- my cover to book 2 is the same as to book 1.

We're doing the bible readings recommended in the Sonlight Core curriculum guide, plus a letter a week in the Memory bible (passage/song).

I also bought the teacher's guide for the Growing in Christ program she's using in catechism class, so I can follow up with it at home, in more depth.

We are really enjoying Egermeier's for the end of K/beginning of 1st. We also own the Jesus Storybook Bible. I love the content, but dislike the pictures. We are reading through it at bedtime. I prefer the pictures in The Family-Time Bible, but the stories are more suited to preschoolers. We're saving the Vos Storybook Bible for 2nd grade.