Menu

Could you share what your 9th graders are doing?

This is what my 9th grader will be doing next year:

English: Prentice Hall Literature: The American Experience with supplemental reading, MCT level 4

Math: Finish Foerster's Algebra 2, begin ChalkDust Precalculus (unless Math Without Borders comes out with a precalculus DVD)

History: The American Odyssey (from K12) with supplemental reading as well as MCT's Self-Evident Truth series.

Science: The Cosmos: Astronomy in the New Millennium (Pasachoff and Filippenko) with Understanding the Universe (Teaching Company) and supplemental reading

Latin: Cambridge Latin 2

My oldest did 9th two years ago and my middle is in 9th right now. I've changed up a lot of what I used because I wasn't happy with what I did for my oldest.

oldest dd for 9th

SL Core 100 for American history and literature - mostly middle school level, won't use again

US History-based writing lessons volumes 1 and 2 from IEW - excellent

Prentice Hall Biology (Miller and Levine) - won't use again, far too difficult for ME, found that it is mostly used for honors classes in my area

Jacobs Geometry, 2nd edition - very good book, but I switched to 3rd edition for my middle and am happier with it

self-designed Health program - didn't like what I came up with, bought a program for my middle

middle dd for 9th

Oak Meadow US History (uses Glencoe American Vision) - excellent, will use again for youngest

Windows to the World from IEW - excellent, will use again for youngest

US History-based Writing Lessons from IEW - excellent, but youngest doesn't learn that way, so won't use it for her

Oak Meadow Biology (uses Holt Biology) - very good, will use again for youngest, better if you add some more hands-on labs as most of the labs are paper only (you're given experimental data to work with)

Jacobs Geometry, 3rd edition - will use again for youngest

Oak Meadow Health (uses Holt Lifetime Health) - will use again for youngest

Teaching Company Philosophy of Mind - my 14yo LOVES it, but I will sell it when we're done because nobody else is interested in this topic, requires lots of digging to find recommended readings

After having done biology twice with different textbooks, I am definitely going to do chemistry BEFORE biology for my youngest. All the major textbooks seem to dig pretty deep into biochemistry right at the start, and that's pretty tough without having already had high school chemistry.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

I can tell you our plans so far ... my oldest will be in 9th next year.

We're planning to do:

Ancient Greek history/literature using the Kolbe syllabus and TWEM

Classical Writing Plutarch

Biology - choosing between Campbell and Miller/Levine

Latin - Lingua Latina and Latin Prep (Galore Park)

Greek - ? I don't teach this. They're doing Elementary Greek (Open Texture) now, but I don't know if they'll continue that next year, or move into something else

Life of Fred Geometry

We have not yet decided what to do for logic. We're also considering some MCT (Royal Fireworks Press) materials to add in to the English credit.

We're probably going to spread our fine arts credit out over several years. Each year he'll do some art, drama, and music, but not enough for a full credit in any given year. I don't know that the Greek he'll be doing will equal a full credit for the year, either, but I think the Latin should, and we'll take the NLE as our way of outside verification.

Having a bit of a rough year with my 9th grader. He's turned off to school even though previously he was quite the scholar! So we've been trying different things, right now I've put writing on hold because that's the thing he's really dragging on. He's also had major spinal surgery that he's slowly recovering from.

Math - Saxon Algebra II

Latin - Latin class that used New First Steps and Lingua Latina

Science - Teaching Co. How the Earth Works plus he took a 6 week Intro to Chem course (based on A beka)

History - We are slowly reading Susan Wise Bauer's History of the Ancient World; we are watching The Teach. Co. Foundations of Western Civ I - taking notes

English - We are currently watching Teaching the Classics to learn about literary analysis. He does dictation from St. Francis de Sales Introduction to the Devout Life once or twice a week. That's all I can get him to do right now! He does learn lots of grammar in the Latin class, in fact we just went through an intensive mini-unit on diagramming.

Literature - we've been reading through Ancient Lit: Book of Job, Epic of Gilgamesh, Iliad, Odyssey, Oedipus Rex, currently reading the Aeneid. Answering study guide questions written by Fran Rutherford.

On his own he's read: Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies, Life of Pi, Brisinger (sp?), The Hunger Games and its sequel, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and now he's on the next book in the Lord of Rings Trilogy

Religion - he attends a teen Bible study every Wednesday night

Logic/Philosophy - He's taking an on line Logic course; every Friday he meets with other teens and discusses readings from Touchstones Discussion Project (such as Plato, Aristotle, Newton, Hobbes, etc.)

Edited by Faithr
forgot some books!

Mine's in college now, but we started homeschooling with him in 9th grade, so most of my choices were from WTM.

We did

Omnibus 1 with lots of tweaking (included literature, Spielvogel history)

Fallacy Detective

Rod and Staff Grammar 6 for one semester

Henle Latin 1 for one semester (no previous latin)

One-Year Bible for devotions, and another bible book (can't recall title)

Know What and Know Who You Believe by Paul Little (two books)

Music Theory and guitar with Dad

Apologia Biology

Wordsmith Craftsman, I think--can't remember

Jacobs Algebra, supplemented with Algebra in 20 Mins a Day

He got

1 credit English

1 cr biology

1 cr Ancient History

1 cr bible

1 cr music

1 cr math

.5 cr logic

.5 cr latin

Math: Lial's algebra

Science: Earth Science Demystified and 40 Nights to Knowing the Sky

Literature: no curriculum; just a variety of reading and various study guides

Grammar: Warriner's

Vocabulary: Vocabulary From Classical Roots

Writing: no curriculum; various history and literature papers (three coached by a WriteGuide instructor)

History: The Heritage of World Civilizations (textbook)

German: German Demystified, Das Erste Jahr, German: A Structural Approach

I appreciate everyone sharing their 9th grade schedule. I am trying to plan out my middle school years, and work from there so I can get my high school goals down.

My daughter has no intention of ever returning to school. She will be in 6th/7th this year. I love reading what everyone is doing to give me an idea of what direction we are going in. Thanks so much!:D

And Happy Easter

I answered this in another thread, but things have changed a little since then..........

Bible: MFW

English: MFW

History/Geography: MFW

Math: Finish TT Algebra 1 and LOF Beginning Algebra/ Start, and hopefully finish, TT Geometry & LoF Geometry

Science: Biology 101 DVDs, with living books

Spanish: Spanish 1--not sure which one now

Home Ec: Trying Pearables Home Economics Level Three, plus will add in a couple of projects already thought of

P.E.: Horse-riding lessons, Wii Exercise (she's doing 20 min. to 1 hour per day this year)

Intro. to Logic: Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox. MFW says that doing those two is worth 1 semester credit for Intro. to Logic.

Music/Performing Arts: Piano

Edited by Brindee
Haha, changed again! :) Filled in the latest info.

My 9th grader's current year:

Bible (no credit, but we have goals here and it takes *school* time): Proverbs Bible Study, Precepts Covenant, daily devotions, memory work

Math: Life of Fred Geometry

Science: Apologia Chemistry with outside tutorial/lab

Latin: Latin II, Florida Virtual School

History: Middle Ages using TruthQuest (co-op choice), Dorothy Mills' The Middle Ages, Sons of Charlemagne, Canterbury Tales

Literature: Late Ancients, early Middle Ages Lit list (at home)(.5 credit)

English: Literature Tutorial (American Lit), Rhetoric in the Classical Tradition, Writer's Workshop, vocabulary, bits and pieces of grammar

Logic: Traditional Logic I, Traditional Logic II

Elective: Shakespeare with outside tutorial

HTH!

Lisa

Here's what my soon-to-be 9th grade son will do next year:

BJUP Cultural Geography & Art History with The Annotated Mona Lisa

BJUP Physical Science w/ DIVE

CLE Woodworking

CW Diogenes Chreia & Intermediate Poetry

Modern Geometry by Dolciani w/ TC Geometry Lectures

NT Greek for Beginners

Omnibus III selections w/Patterns in Literature

Wheelock's Latin

My 9th grader this year:

Government (Christian Liberty/Bluestocking Press) 1 semester

Art (Appreciation and Application) 1 semester

English 9 (MCT)

Geometry (MUS)

Great Books/World Views (my various selections including: Othello, Murder in the Cathedral, Beowulf, The Inferno, The Cost of Discipleship) - 1 semester

Starting Points (using various parts - Cornerstone Curriculum) - 1 semester

Conceptual Physics (Hewitt)

OK History - 1 semester

My upcoming 9th will be doing:

Conceptual Chemistry

Great Books/ Worldview

Art of Problem Solving Counting & Probability

English 9 (MCT)

US History (A Patriot's History of the United States - thanks to the person who recently mentioned this and the accompanying online helps - I'm looking forward to using it).

Food Science - 1 semester (ABeka in co-op)

PE - 1 semester (in co-op along with Total Health)

ACT Prep (we will be doing this in co-op, but I won't be giving additional credit but will roll it into the other courses) - 1 semester

This is what I'm planning (and have purchased) to do:

history: AOP grade 9

science: Apologia Biology

math: Saxon Algebra 1

language arts: AG American Author's review, Queen's LL for high school, Word Roots, AOP Survey of American Lit

music: continue piano

PE: swimming

I'm still up in the air about logic. I'd like to find a GREAT (really great) Spanish program.

After having done biology twice with different textbooks, I am definitely going to do chemistry BEFORE biology for my youngest. All the major textbooks seem to dig pretty deep into biochemistry right at the start, and that's pretty tough without having already had high school chemistry.

This is what we are doing, too, and for the same reason.

Our plan for next year:

TOG 2 (Oh, look, we're on Y2 with Quiver! :)) - History, Literature, Church history, writing (Writing Aids), probably some govt.

Style: Ten Lessons in Style and Grace and How to Read Slowly

Apologia Physical Science (with Co-op)

Geometry - (Prentice Hall with Co-op)

VfCR C/D

Material Logic

God and the History of Art

Music - piano, saxophone sometimes or maybe flute, church choir

Is that it? Seem's like we're missing something.

This is what my 9th grader will be doing next year:

English: Prentice Hall Literature: The American Experience with supplemental reading, MCT level 4

Math: Finish Foerster's Algebra 2, begin ChalkDust Precalculus (unless Math Without Borders comes out with a precalculus DVD)

History: The American Odyssey (from K12) with supplemental reading as well as MCT's Self-Evident Truth series.

Science: The Cosmos: Astronomy in the New Millennium (Pasachoff and Filippenko) with Understanding the Universe (Teaching Company) and supplemental reading

Latin: Cambridge Latin 2

I like the streamlined look of this! What is your history plan / progression for the rest of high school?

I like the streamlined look of this! What is your history plan / progression for the rest of high school?

Unfortunately for my history plans, my son will most likely be attending the community college full time beginning in 11th grade, so we will be doing world history in one year instead of the two or three that I would prefer. But our main text will be Ways of the World. We will use Big History from the Teaching Company and additional reading to supplement. If I were to do history over a longer period, I would probably add in a more traditional text, some additional Teaching Company material, and more supplemental reading.

Edited by EKS

Apologetics: Assigned reading, papers, discussion.

Math: LoF Algebra

Eng: IEW Ancient them based book, IEW's Adv. Vocab and Spelling

Science: Apologia Bio with lab

Latin: CLAA

History/Lit: MP's Ancient Study Guides for Trojan War, Odyssey and Illiad

Drama: weekly class, yearly One Act Play competition, poetry memorization, (this summer we'll do a more in-depth Shakespeare study)

Art: weekly class, assignments

Music: small chorale singing songs from Lingua Angleica

Bible: personal daily reading and weekly Men's study (Beit Midrash). This year: Job (hmm. just noticed it fits in with Ancients- love that = )

Tons of outside reading (he picks), videos (freqently historical documentaries).

Field trips

Unfortunately for my history plans, my son will most likely be attending the community college full time beginning in 11th grade, so we will be doing world history in one year instead of the two or three that I would prefer. But our main text will be Ways of the World. We will use Big History from the Teaching Company and additional reading to supplement. If I were to do history over a longer period, I would probably add in a more traditional text, some additional Teaching Company material, and more supplemental reading.

Thank you. I will take a peek at Ways of the World. And I love the Teaching Company lectures.

My oldest is finishing up his senior year at the community college, where he's taken a full year of US history. He did world history in three years with Speilvogel's Human Odyssey. Since my youngest (7th grade) will finish about half of the K12 Human Odyssey volume 2 this year, I am unclear about what to do for 9th - 11th grades. I would love for him to also do US history at the CC, since that has worked so well for my oldest.

My 9th grader is peacewalking at the moment, making it impossible to do any curriculum/publishers with him right now and difficult to finish anything.

When he isn't walking, he does:

NEM 3 (Singapore)

Francais 6e (Bordas)

Histoire/Geographie 6e (Hachette)

Fairy Tales in Latin (Hippocrene)

TWTM/TWEM great books (variety of publishers)

MODG Natural History Syllabus (Mother of Divine Grace)

some technology projects (no book)

piano (no book)

-Nan

Dd14 is in 9th. She did Alg. II with Saxon this year, and is on lesson 25 of Adv. Math. She's finished chapter 10 in Apol. Bio I and Chem I. She's in Book Two of Latin Prep, and just finished the first chapter of Pasos y Puentes (2nd year high school Spanish textbook). She finished her 7th grade (5eme) French spelling book a few days ago, and is still working on the accompanying grammar book. She's slowly working her way through Hakim's History of US (book 3), and is on the first chapter of Human Odyssey (world history). She's on chapter 4 of LL8. She's done a little prep for the PSAT this winter, but has a lot more to do. She's somewhere near the 20th of March in the One Year Bible.

She and two brothers are heading to France Friday for two months. They'll help their grandparents with their garden and their animals, and probably do some sewing. She also wants to clean out their attic (newspapers from 1910, interesting things from WWII, etc.) They'll also play with their cousins.

While there, dd plans to finish up the first year of Bio I and Chem I, and get to about lesson 70 of Adv. Math. She wants to start 8th grade French spelling and grammar (4eme), too, and buy the 9th grade books (3eme). She also wants to keep working through Latin Prep Two. She'll probably read a French novel or two along the way.

It's been quite a year. I didn't really expect things to go this way, and we're still undecided about a firm college entrance date. As for 9th grade, I'm not sure when it's going to end, as dd plans to do schoolwork when she comes back to India, until we leave for a visit to America (sometime between July 1 and Aug. 22 - haven't bought the tickets yet). She's really into her studies. I guess that's a good thing, because we don't have a lot else to offer her here in India!

This year's 9th grader (dd1):

CW Chreia

Omnibus III

Latin II (combo of Henle Units 6-14 and Lingua Latina)

Elementary Greek 2

Finishing Algebra/starting Geometry w/ BJU dvds

BJU biology

Explorer's Bible study

Vocabulary for the College Bound Student

Next year's 9th grader, currently an 8th grader doing the same as 9th sister:

CW Herodotus online

BJU geometry online

BJU physical science online

BJU geography online

BJU Spanish 1 online

Omnibus IV ( maybe, or may take a year off since she has a fairly heavy schedule otherwise, and just use the CW literature)

Elementary Greek 3

Latin III (not sure what I am using yet)

My 9th grader this year:

University of Chicago Algebra

Wheelock's Latin (through chapter 24) via Artesian Wells online tutorials

Apologia Biology

Great Books 1 through Schola Classical Tutorials (this is supposed to count for 2.5 credits: English, History, and 1/2 writing or Social Studies.)

P.E. (walking on treadmill 30 min./day

Christianity 101 (not sure what I'll ultimately call this, but it's a mix of books I've given him to read. Biographies, doctrine, Christian living, church history, etc... I"ll probably count this for half a credit. He reads 45 minutes a day from these kinds of books.

Book club (using this for opportunity to write additional papers)

Boy Scouts

Youth Bible Study

He's finishing R&S English 8, but this doesn't count for credit. I let him quit midway last year becasue life was so hectic. He's finishing up soon.

Here's what my 9th grade dd is doing this year:

Videotext Geometry, supplemented with Singapore's NEM3

Apologia Chemistry, and review of Bio in prep for SAT II

Windows to the World (literature analysis)

A Beka Grammar IV

IEW U.S. History-based Writing Lessons, V. 2

History of US V.5-10 along with Speilvogel's Human Odyssey for the same time period (Civil War to present), plus several historical fiction/literary works from the time period

Oxford Latin II

Breaking the Barrier French I

Lots of music: violin and piano lessons, theory, recitals, competitions, 2 orchestras, string quartet, and... oh yes, choir! :blink:

My 9th grader is at a small private school. In our state, though, he's still considered a homeschooler. He has 6 classes:

Geometry (BJU)

English 9 (BJU Lit & Comp, Wordly Wise 9, several lit selections)

Bible--Faith Quest (Lifeway)

Health (.5 credit)--Total Health (this course included CPR and the drug and alcohol awareness program required for a driver's permit)

PE (.5 credit)

Physical Science (BJU)

Geography (BJU)

Cinder

Our plans are being refined every day, but here's what my 9th grader will probably do next year:

English 3 (Narnia) -- Potter's

Literature discussion class led by Adam Andrews (Teaching the Classics)

World History (Notgrass?) -or- AP US History (w/co-op)

German 2 (OSU)

Chemistry (Spectrum)

AP Calculus (PA Homeschoolers: Larson's text)

AP Computer Science (Derek Otieno)

Ancient Greek & Roman Lit: Greek plays (w/tutor)

~Laura

Edited by Laura in CA
added curriculum

First time doing 9th grade - this is how it is looking right now, all one credit unless noted...

English - Analytical Grammar, IEW Elegant Essay and IEW Starting Points lesson plans, literature (Sonlight core 200 with 4-5 literature guides - Progeny Press and Sparknotes), vocabulary (Wordly Wise)

Math - Chalkdust Algebra 1

Science - Physical Science with DIVE CD-ROM and Apologia PS text

Latin - Latin 2, Henle units 6-14

History - 1/2 Notgrass world (remainder saved for 10th grade), Sonlight core 200 (reduced history book list)

Bible/worldview - Combination of Sonlight core 200 Bible (again reduced Bible book list) and 1/2 of Starting Points by Quine (Cornerstone Curriculum)

Health (1/2 crdt) - Hewitt Homeschooling lesson plans, book - Total Health

Music Theory (1/2 crdt)

Edited by sandra in va