Menu

Scared and NEED Advice

Today has been a very strange and scary day for me. It started with my neighbor coming over and telling me she got a very strange phone call from someone asking if she knew me or another person. She told her that we lived at my address. I told my neighbor I am first name last name, but I have never heard of the other person. It was strange, but also a little creepy because the cops have been to my parents' house twice, about 4-5 months ago, looking for that same man. The cops had said they had got a tip that he was staying here and that he was a very bad guy. We do not have any clue who this person is. I still at that point brushed it off and although disturbed by the fact my name was being grouped with a criminal wasn't afraid like I am now. Now tonight we have had multiple phone calls from a private name private number (at least 20 times in the last 2 hours). Only 2 messages were left one was a girl laughing and saying I got you man's name and the other was that now the police will know where to get us when we are dealing drugs. So now I am terrified! Someone my name, number, and address are being lumped with a dangerous drug dealer. I am terrified because this girl is harassing my house calling time multiple times, probably a drug addicit from the sounds of the messages, and I don't know what if anything I can do. My dad is acting like it's not a big deal but I am afraid to be here. This is probably the scariest thing I have had to deal with. I WISH the cops would come at least I know I would be safe from this drug dealer and girl who is calling me. It's not my house or phone so I really am at a loss.

Call the police - non emergency number - and talk to someone.

Agreed and don't erase the messages or the caller ID. If you get a machine on the non-emergency line, call 911, ask an officer to come out and take a report.

Write down all the information so it is clear in your head.

In the meantime I'd get doing some internet research to see why you are tied to this unknown individual.

I called the police and they are sending someone out. All of the calls have come from private name/number. It is the same person though because when they do leave a message it is always the same woman. I have saved the 6 messages that they left. This is so scary and bizarre... I honestly do not know how my name has got involved with this person. I live a VERY quiet life. I honestly have only 3 friends and we maybe go out once a year together. My life is spent at home with my family. I don't have facebook or myspace and don't show up when I google myself. My name pops up for a few entries but none of them are me. The person hasn't called since I contacted the police which is even more bizarre. My guess is they know who this person is. We suspect it is the same person who had the police come to the house previously. Thankfully, my son is out of town with my mother right now. I am sick to my stomach with worry.

UGH, just read your post. Please start documenting these calls and agree about looking into identity theft. Also you might check for people with your name in your town that could have shady dealings. I take it you live with your parents? So they could vouch for your behavior and friends?

I'd also check places like zabasearch.com, spokeo.com, where your name might have been misused. :grouphug: I hope you are able to get some rest tonight.

Edited by elegantlion

Cops just left our house. Seems there is nothing they can do because all of the calls have had name and number blocked. :( This is scary. They told me that if I saw anything suspicious just to call back. So I guess I have to wait for these creepy people to show up at my house before I can do anything.

My guess is that someone else has the same name as you, or is using your name (not necessarily identity theft, just using the name in a more casual manner).

Call your phone company. They can tell you how to mark the number by dialing a special code into your phone. Then they can block the number. The person can just use a different number, and then you will have to have the phone company block it too, but it will at least slow them down. You may also want to get your phone set to not allow calls from blocked numbers. If someone legit wants to call they have to put their phone number in manually, to go around the block, which makes it visible to you.

You also should find out what you have to have to get a restraining order. If you get the bare minimum to qualify for one (I assume a name & threat), I would get it ASAP. Then if they show up on your door step, you can call the police and get them taken away.

Did you ask your neighbor if the number was blocked on their phone too? It may prove fruitful to talk to some other neighbors and let them know what is going on, so if they see something suspicious around your house, they will call the police immediately, and sort it out after they get there.

UGH, just read your post. Please start documenting these calls and agree about looking into identity theft.

I just pulled my credit reports. We follow Dave Ramsey so not much to look at. It doesn't appear anyone has been using my credit.

Also you might check for people with your name in your town that could have shady dealings. I take it you live with your parents? So they could vouch for your behavior and friends?

I don't know of anyone by my same name in my area and my name doesn't pop up under the clerk of courts website. We are staying with my parents for the time being. They would definitely vouch that I am not a criminal.

I'd also check places like zabasearch.com, spokeo.com, where your name might have been misused.

Yikes! I have never seem these sites before. Spokeo had all kinds of information about my family, job, and even income. I had it removed. I always thought I was extremely cautious online, but apparently they got my information from somewhere.

:grouphug: I hope you are able to get some rest tonight.

Today is the first time my name has ever been brought up. The police told me not to worry but this is a very scary situation.

Spokeo pulls public records, not just internet stuff, and puts them all in one place. It's all stuff anyone can find if they know where to look. For example, I've used property records from the assessor's office to find things like the property owner and their address to write them about their tenants. It's available to anyone.

My guess is that someone else has the same name as you, or is using your name (not necessarily identity theft, just using the name in a more casual manner).

Call your phone company. They can tell you how to mark the number by dialing a special code into your phone. Then they can block the number. The person can just use a different number, and then you will have to have the phone company block it too, but it will at least slow them down. You may also want to get your phone set to not allow calls from blocked numbers. If someone legit wants to call they have to put their phone number in manually, to go around the block, which makes it visible to you.

You also should find out what you have to have to get a restraining order. If you get the bare minimum to qualify for one (I assume a name & threat), I would get it ASAP. Then if they show up on your door step, you can call the police and get them taken away.

Did you ask your neighbor if the number was blocked on their phone too? It may prove fruitful to talk to some other neighbors and let them know what is going on, so if they see something suspicious around your house, they will call the police immediately, and sort it out after they get there.

I never thought to ask my neighbor if the number was blocked at her house, but I will tomorrow. I also figured out how to block all private calls so my phone has finally stopped ringing. Hopefully, it does't piss the person off more. Both of my next door neighbors are home durring the day so I will be talking to them as well. We live in a quiet neighborhood without much traffic so someone out of place will be fairly easy to spot. I have been thinking of moving out of state and this might just be the push I need. I am so afraid not just for myself but for my entire family. I actually feel guilty like it's my fault even though I have nothing to do with it. I have anxiety to begin with and this is making it 1000 times worse.

I would go out tomorrow and get motion detector lights. Seriously. If ANYBODY tried getting to your house and motion detector lights came on they would not go near it. NOBODY wants to be seen! Get them so you are covered at any and every angle. It will be alot but to do it that way would ensure nobody could get to your house without lights coming on! Also get some sort of alarm system installed if possible. I know these ideas will cost quite a bit of money, but it would be worth it for the added protection. If you can not afford to get motion detector lights installed all around just start with any reasonable points of entry. Ask the police to patrol your house on a every 20-30 minutes basis (they will do that for up to a few weeks spot lights and all if you ask) I will be praying over this situation for you!!! :grouphug:

Sometimes, bizarre things do just happen by accident. Once, a man started calling my cell phone at odd times, such as very early in the morning (5 a.m., 6 a.m.) and leaving me "honey" messages. "When are we going to get together again?" Such as that. After many of these calls over the course of about a month, I finally called back several times and left messages that the number he was calling was a wrong number. I never actually got him on the phone.

Because it was swim season, I was up very early some weekends at swim meets, so one Saturday I happened to answer the phone. I explained to him that he had been calling the wrong number and to please stop. I continued to receive calls in spite of this. Several times I answered and told him again and again that he was calling the wrong number.

Finally, his WIFE called my phone one day and wanted to know who I was. I refused to give out my name to these strangers. She had him on the other line at the same time (so she had caught him, LOL). I told her about the many calls, how I'd tried time and again to explain that they were calling the wrong number, and asked them to stop. She seemed to want to defend him, as if *I* were the one doing something wrong! (So who knows what he'd told her?)

Anyway, after all this - he STILL kept calling and leaving messages. Now, apparently this man had experienced some sort of encounter with a woman who happened to have the same phone number (but a different area code) as me and he just would NOT give up on getting in touch with her again. I even suggested over and over that he must have the wrong area code - but he would NOT stop calling!

I finally had to call the police and get THEM to call him to get him to stop calling my number! One time is all it took. They never called again.....

I hope that the police will be able to get your situation straightened out, too.....

:iagree:

Cops just left our house. Seems there is nothing they can do because all of the calls have had name and number blocked. :( This is scary. They told me that if I saw anything suspicious just to call back. So I guess I have to wait for these creepy people to show up at my house before I can do anything.

There IS something that can be done. The police can trace the number. It might involve some work for them, but I would consider it worthwhile not just because you are getting annoying phone calls but because the people clearly know where you live and clearly have a bone to pick with someone that they think is you.

The police CAN request the phone records from your phone company. Call the police back and request that they do this and find out who is making the phone calls. Just because the name/number does not show on your caller id does not mean that the police cannot find out who is calling you.

You can also add the following to your answering machine message - "Due to harrassing phone calls, this number is now being monitored by the police". Sometime that will stop the crazies from calling you.

The police CAN request the phone records from your phone company. Call the police back and request that they do this and find out who is making the phone calls. Just because the name/number does not show on your caller id does not mean that the police cannot find out who is calling you.

You can also add the following to your answering machine message - "Due to harrassing phone calls, this number is now being monitored by the police". Sometime that will stop the crazies from calling you.

Yes it might stop them. But I'd still want to know WHO they are in order to protect myself from them in the future.

Along the identity theft line, it's also possible to have a bizarre coincidence in name, and get confused. If your public library keeps phone books and cross-reference directories, it might be worth a look at your area's ... see if there are others with similar names as you, and ALSO check your address and phone number listings for the past few years and see if someone similar might have lived in your neighborhood or possibly had your number before you did. Reference librarians are good for this sort of help, though in some places they won't do it over the phone for you (because they get too many calls from creditors trying to track people, and it takes up their time... so you may have to go in person).

We have nearly the same number as a just-closed hardware store in our town. We got calls for them for years (they were at least polite mistakes) ... I often wondered how many of our calls they got!

And also in the same area ... there was a woman with exactly the same name as my sister, down to the middle initial. It was funny because that woman won a prize on a local t.v. station, and everyone was calling my sister to tell her that she had won! At least my sister knew about the other woman at the time, though.

I think there is a good chance this isn't identity theft, but someone with the same name. This happened to me a couple of months ago (but nothing scary, just irritating). I got a court summons for writing a bad check.

I didn't think it was identity theft and did some more digging and searching around on the internet. Found that there was someone else with my name (which is not a very common name or anything). But I didn't think she'd intentionally written a bad check... because it was for SIXTEEN DOLLARS as a fundraiser for a Cub Scout Troop! I called the Troop and nicely chewed the lady out about why in the world they'd take someone to court over a $16 check for a fundraiser.

Anyway, I'm boring you with the details when you are stressing out over this. Point is, I think it is very likely there is someone else out there with this name. I don't really know how that helps you except that it might be nice to know how you got hooked up in this and that it might not be identity theft.

I'm also wondering if you could contact the department of motor vehicles to see if anyone happens to have the same driver's license as you. This would give you a clue as to if there is someone with your same name who is causing trouble. Several years ago I right after I was married I saw my name in the paper saying that I had a DUI. Luckily I worked for an insurance company at the time and was able to pull up my driving records. It turns out that there was someone with the exact same first, middle and last name and birthday as I did and she was getting DUIs. Somehow though they had the DUIs attached to the wrong address (my parent's house). I had paperwork to prove it wasn't me and kept that along with a newspaper article from my local paper about the story. It took awhile for it to get straightened out though. Once I got pulled over since there was a warrant out for the other person's arrest. Fortunately I had the paperwork to back me up and after a few calls they realized that I was telling the truth. By that time I had also changed my license to my married name.

Anyway, I think that it can happen that you have the same name, birthday, etc. as someone else. I think that perhaps you could find this out through your DMV.