Menu

Book A Week in 2010 - Book Week 10

That was a fast week. Sunday is the start of book week 10 and the post with Mr. Linky is now up. Book week 9 mr. linky is now closed.

J is for Jean Paul Sartre, sort of. I had to get creative with J to talk about Nobel Peace prize for Literature. I'm taking a Nobel Literature class this semester. Will be reading some interesting books including Nausea by Sartre which is the first book on the schedule.

Also have a giveaway posted on my blog and the 52 weeks blog for Double Eagle by Sneed Collard. Your boys should find it interesting, hopefully. He's also written some interesting science books about animals and nature. Be sure to check him out. He will visiting my blog this coming week and doing a guest post. Plus the giveaway ends on Wednesday. Please drop by and enter or if you have any questions for sneed, let me know.

And March 7 - 13 is Read an E-Book Week and there will be some free and deeply discounted ebooks available at the site. I may just break my book buy ban to take advantage of some free ebooks.

What are you reading this week? What did you finish? What did you enjoy or dislike.

Edited by Mytwoblessings

Guest Virginia Dawn

I'm still doing readings in Physics/Physicists. I just finished Feynman's Rainbow and am now reading a biography on Foucault. Interesting stuff.

I read an incredibly sweet book today, Saving Sailor. It was thoughtful and funny, and I was delighted by the love between the Baptist and the Catholic families (I am Baptist and some of my most wonderful friends are Catholic, so that was a fun element for me).

Tonight I am starting Booth's Sister and Beautiful Joe: An Autobiography of a Dog.

Kindle readers, all three of these are currently free at Amazon.

I think it has been a couple weeks since I posted. I finished Shakespeare: The World as Stage by Bill Bryson, The Mysterious Benedict Society #3, The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf by Gerald Morris, and have started Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz (I can guarantee that will take me more than a week to finish :) ).

I'll give them all a thumbs up. I thought the first Mysterious Benedict Society was the best of the series. The Savage Damsel was #3 in The Squire's Tales series, and I think I enjoyed it even more than the first 2.

I finished Making the Cut by Jillian Michaels and reviewed but need to catch up on some reading this week since that's only number 8 for the year.

I'm determined to finish The Iliad by the end of the month. This week I'm also reading Master Your Metabolism by Michaels and The Well Educated Mind. I also need to squeeze in Robinson Crusoe before my 5th grader gets ahead of me.

Since last posting last week I've finished Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, which I liked but didn't like -- I like the characters and the premise of the book but hated the long "talk talk" sections about politics and details of meetings.

We finished listening to that during a 9 hour long drive back home, and after a break for coffee for me at Starbucks, made final the push back home listening to a Sherlock Holmes tale, The Sign of Four. Great stuff, especially since it took my mind off of Los Angeles rush hour traffic!

I'm still reading Country Driving -- this must be my 4th week reporting that I'm reading it! That it is taking so long to read it isn't a reflection of my enjoyment of the book. It is wonderful and the kind of book that I can read when I have a few minutes here or there -- waiting at the orthodontist's, sitting at lunch. Some books you can't put down, some are hard to get back into, but this is the perfect book for a busy week, the kind I can easily slip back into and just as easily put down.

I also just started Kipling's Kim, which I've planned for my ds to read in a couple of weeks. I wanted to get a head start on it.

Got 1/2 way through Who's Your City and needed a breather. Read a couple of chapters The Rise of the Creative Class, also by Florida but finally hit a stride with Rafe Esquith's, "Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire." Should be required reading for every teacher, homeschool, public and private. Most excellent. Review on my blog.

Looking forward to cathcing up later and adding to my ever-growing list :001_smile:

1. The Sweet By and By (Sara Evans) (for review)
  2. The Happiness Project (Gretchen Rubin)
  3. Jesus Lives (Sarah Young) (for review)
  4. NurtureShock: New Thinking about Children (Po Bronson and Ashley Merriman)
  5. Experimental Man: What One Man's Body Reveals about His Future, Your Health, and Our Toxic World (David Duncan)
  6. Last Night in Twisted River (John Irving)
  7. French Milk (Lucy Knisley)
  8. Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth (Apostolos Doxiadis)
  9. The Gargoyle Code: Lenten Letters Between a Master Tempter and his Diabolical Trainee (Dwight Longenecker) (for review)
  10. The Jade Peony (Wayson Choy)
  11. Noah's Compass (Anne Tyler)
  12. Rosa (Jonathan Rabb) (in progress)

I finished A Reliable Wife. Can't say I was crazy about it. I'm about halfway through The Homework Myth which I'm rather enjoying. I've been skeptical about the idea of homework especially in the elementary years and now I have a better idea as to why I feel that way.

I need to get back to Edith Hamilton's Mythology. I want to finish that up and then move on to either SWB's History of the Ancient World or The Iliad. Need to do a little prep for next year.

5. Experimental Man: What One Man's Body Reveals about His Future, Your Health, and Our Toxic World (David Duncan)

9. The Gargoyle Code: Lenten Letters Between a Master Tempter and his Diabolical Trainee (Dwight Longenecker) (for review)

Janet, how did you enjoy Last Night in Twisted River? I usually enjoy John Irving, but couldn't make it through his last novel. I am hesitant to buy this one.

Dana,

I was pleasantly surprised to see someone posted a book by Grace Livingston Hill! Did you enjoy it? MANY years ago, a very sweet, dear lady told me that she collected GLH's books and had all 100. Since I had (and still do have) a very high regard for this lady, I just had to check out the author! Over the years I collected her books and I think there are more than 100! Anyway, I periodically take one from the shelf and re-read it, knowing it is exactly what I need at that time!:001_smile: When ds was in the hospital for quite some time a couple years ago, these are the books I asked dh to bring over . . . Uplifting, easy-reading, predictable, encouraging . . .

Have you ever read any books by her daughter, Ruth?

Anyway, I am interested in hearing whether you like Grace's books or not.

Two this week:

Homing - Grace Livingston Hill

Atonement - Ian McEwan

Janet in Toronto,

I just recently became aware of "The Happiness Project" and checked out the author's website. I am toying with the idea of requesting it from the library. (I always hesitate to request books because if they don't have it, they will generally go ahead and buy it, then I feel bad that I requested

it . . .:glare:) Did you enjoy this book? Do you have any comments on it that you would be willing to share?

I finished two books this week:

#13 - Shades of Blue, by Karen Kingsbury

#14 - The Last Song, by Nicholas Sparks

I still haven't started any classics this year :glare: but I was glad to note that, of the 14 books I've read so far, 8 have been non-fiction . . .

I am currently reading "The Scarlet Thread" by Francine Rivers. I had planned on another non-fiction book, but the Rivers' book is a recent find and it was on top of my HUGE stack of books waiting to be read, so OF COURSE I took the one on top!:D

Can I join in?? Here is what I have read so far this year:

1) The Hunger Games - Collins

2) Catching Fire - Collins

3) The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Shaffer

4) The Piano Teacher - Lee

5) Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics - Ma

6) A Game of Thrones - Martin

7) The Book Thief - Zusak

8) I Capture the Castle - Smith

9) The Help - Stockett

10) The Rough Guide to Scotland (travel guide)

I *loved* numbers 1,2,7, and 8. Numbers 6 and 9 were very good. Number 3 was good but didn't really pull me in. I enjoyed number 4's historical setting but didn't like the characters. And of course, number 6 was very eye opening.

This week I hope to finish up one or two half-read books I have on my "in progress" shelf.

It's so fun and inspiring to see what everyone is reading!

9) The Help - Stockett

I *loved* numbers 1,2,7, and 8. Numbers 6 and 9 were very good. Number 3 was good but didn't really pull me in. I enjoyed number 4's historical setting but didn't like the characters. And of course, number 6 was very eye opening.

This week I hope to finish up one or two half-read books I have on my "in progress" shelf.

I have always heard great things about I Capture the Castle. I know I have a copy around here somewhere...I should put it in my 'read these next' pile.

I had to ditch my week 9 book after three chapters. It was Michael Crichton's "Pirate Latitudes." A little too crude for me. I've enjoyed many of his others. Oh, well.

So last week I picked up Robert Jordan's "Knife of Dreams." It will take me the rest of this week and maybe next to get through. That's ok, I think I have already gotten in 9 or 10 books this year anyway.

I have always heard great things about I Capture the Castle. I know I have a copy around here somewhere...I should put it in my 'read these next' pile.

I had never even heard of it until two months ago. I loved it so much I can't believe that it isn't more of a classic! It reads like a more modern Austen or Bronte novel (it is set in 1930s England). It is a charming, funny, heart-warming book. I wish I could meet Cassandra, the protagonist, in real life.

After you read the book, you might like the movie. If you have Netflix, it is an instant watch. Dh and I enjoyed it. :001_smile:

How good is this book? Is it a novel?

It is a novel (historical fiction), but reads as a series of letters sent back and forth between various characters. I enjoyed it, especially learning about Guernsey during the war. I just didn't feel a huge connection to the characters, maybe because of the letter format that was used (on the other hand, it was an interesting, unique way to tell a story). I never got that "pulled in" feeling that I love when reading a book.

This week I began the Percy Jackson series. I read the first 2. These books are being passed from kid to kid with dd 11 reading them first. I keep warning her not to tell me what happens...but she is so excited, she can't help it. I jus assigned her a writing project to write an adventure for Percy....LOL

We'll see how she does.

~~Faithe

It is a novel (historical fiction), but reads as a series of letters sent back and forth between various characters. I enjoyed it, especially learning about Guernsey during the war. I just didn't feel a huge connection to the characters, maybe because of the letter format that was used (on the other hand, it was an interesting, unique way to tell a story). I never got that "pulled in" feeling that I love when reading a book.

Thanks. I don't mind novels written as letters, but usually the really good ones still manage to pull you in.

I've been having a few off-weeks as far as reading goes. I started Dickens' Dombey and Son, which I enjoyed, but for some reason, put it down. Then I moved on to The Shadow of the Silk Road---laid it aside, also.....and, finally I've moved on to Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (I think I'll get through this one ;)).

Yes you should! Indeed a delightful read!

I'll second that ~ I loved this book!

I hadn't planned to attempt "52 Books" this year because I failed miserably at it last year. However, I've done enough reading lately to make me re-think the idea, though I'm horrible at writing reviews. The list of books I've read this year can be found on the side bar of my blog.

Thus far, in the past week I've read:

Possession by A.S. Byatt ~ A classic, I suppose. I didn't enjoy the book half as much as I'd hoped. I found myself impatient and frustrated with the diary pages, letters, poems, etc. that were interspersed throughout the book, disrupting the plot.

Harriet and Isabella by Patricia O'Brien ~ A novel about the falling out between Isabella Beecher Hooker and the Beecher family during Henry Ward Beecher's 1875 trial for adultery. This was a good, quick read that I found very interesting.

The Dower House by Annabel Davis-Goff ~ A novel about an orphan growing up among the Anglo-Irish aristocracy during the 1950s & 60s. Initially I found this book nearly impossible to read, it jumped around a lot! After the first 40 pages or so, it got better & was in all, a fairly good read.

The Thief Taker by Janet Gleeson ~ I adored this book & it is, in my opinion, a near-perfect historic mystery.

Dana,

I was pleasantly surprised to see someone posted a book by Grace Livingston Hill! Did you enjoy it? MANY years ago, a very sweet, dear lady told me that she collected GLH's books and had all 100. Since I had (and still do have) a very high regard for this lady, I just had to check out the author! Over the years I collected her books and I think there are more than 100! Anyway, I periodically take one from the shelf and re-read it, knowing it is exactly what I need at that time!:001_smile: When ds was in the hospital for quite some time a couple years ago, these are the books I asked dh to bring over . . . Uplifting, easy-reading, predictable, encouraging . . .

I read several of her books in high school. I still own a copy of Crimson Roses for sentimental reasons (I've read it many times). :001_smile:

I finally got my blog post up. I read Sarah Ruden's new book "Paul among the people" and I totally loved it, it was great. (OK, also depressing because it was describing ancient Greco-Roman culture, but really interesting! And I learned a ton!)

I also read Daniel Pinkwater's "Alan Mendelsohn, boy from Mars" which is an old favorite.

I'm currently still slogging through the Swan Thieves and I still have 100+ pages to go. Gah. It's our book club pick, but none of us had actually read it. I think it's going to go over like a lead balloon.

I just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett. WOW!! One of the best books I have read in a long time!!!

I am so happy to hear that. I just put it on my iPod, and have a number of baseball practices and violin lessons to sit through late this week. :)

I still haven't started Nausea by Sartre yet. I got involved reading "The Cold Room" by J.T. Ellison. Plus reading aloud "20,000 leagues under the sea" to James. Lots of detail in this one - skipping alot.

I have got to get over my slump. I'm deep into planning for next year. Need to read a book!! Sigh.

I'm trying to plan 5th grade as well. Looking at different curriculum frying my brain.

Since last posting last week I've finished Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, which I liked but didn't like -- I like the characters and the premise of the book but hated the long "talk talk" sections about politics and details of meetings.

I'll be reading this one soon.

Good books - a few I'll have to add to wish list. Glad you joined in.

I still haven't started any classics this year :glare: but I was glad to note that, of the 14 books I've read so far, 8 have been non-fiction . .

Classic - I haven't either (my bad). Trying to decide first book to read for spring whether it will be Anna Karenina or Star Gazer. Decisions, decisions.

9) The Help - Stockett

Yes, please do join in. Anyone can hop in at any time. I liked 6 and 7. Haven't read 1 or 2 yet, but plan on it.

I had to ditch my week 9 book after three chapters. It was Michael Crichton's "Pirate Latitudes." A little too crude for me. I've enjoyed many of his others. Oh, well.

Uh oh. Sorry to hear that but I'm used to some crudity. Hopefully it isn't too bad. But they are pirates don't ya know. Arrg!

MFS aka Henry -- Welcome aboard and glad to have you. Nice to see you again.

Dana,

I love reading GLH's books. I have collected a good many of them, but have never counted...probably around 70 of the old editions. I never knew how many she published. I read one every once in a while when I need to lift my spirits. Or when I need to get motivated to give the house a good scrubbing.

Here are two web sites you may enjoy (same author):

A site dedicated to GLH:

http://neatanddaintyasaflower.blogspot.com/

Sister site applying those lessons to everyday life:

http://pleasantviewschoolhouse.blogspot.com/

About her daughter, I never have read anything by Ruth. Do you recommend her?

I love reading GLH's books. I have collected a good many of them, but have never counted...probably around 70 of the old editions. I never knew how many she published. I read one every once in a while when I need to lift my spirits. Or when I need to get motivated to give the house a good scrubbing.

Here are two web sites you may enjoy (same author):

A site dedicated to GLH:

http://neatanddaintyasaflower.blogspot.com/

Sister site applying those lessons to everyday life:

http://pleasantviewschoolhouse.blogspot.com/

About her daughter, I never have read anything by Ruth. Do you recommend her?

Thank you for the links - I will definitely check these out!

Yes, I enjoyed the books by Ruth - written similarly to her mother's style, but during a different time. These are the books I read: This Side of Tomorrow, Morning is for Joy, The Homecoming, Bright Conquest, and Jeweled Sword.

Have you ever read any of the books by Grace's aunt, the one who encouraged Grace's writing - Isabella Alden? I have also read some of her books. They were enjoyable as well, although harder to find. They have been reissued and I've managed to locate four or five at used book stores.

Thank you for the links - I will definitely check these out!

Yes, I enjoyed the books by Ruth - written similarly to her mother's style, but during a different time. These are the books I read: This Side of Tomorrow, Morning is for Joy, The Homecoming, Bright Conquest, and Jeweled Sword.

Have you ever read any of the books by Grace's aunt, the one who encouraged Grace's writing - Isabella Alden? I have also read some of her books. They were enjoyable as well, although harder to find. They have been reissued and I've managed to locate four or five at used book stores.

I'm writing these down so I can add them to my wishlist on Amazon - thanks!