Menu

I need a hug, a pick-me-up, a pat on the shoulder...

We're getting ready to tackle high school. Locally high school starts in grade 7, which is DS's official grade next year. But he's working a couple of years ahead, and is looking more like a grade 9 the US high school. So either way I look at it, it's high school.

Locally, homeschooling is very much frown upon, and discouraged by everybody, especially at the high school level. Homeschoolers can't even get to some neutral ground with the school boards. Because we're in the midst of an education reform, schools don't even know how they'll evaluate their own students, much less homeschooled kids following a different curriculum. Most local homeschoolers are putting their kids in school, we're losing the battle.

Today I come here to see Laura's kids passing their entrance exam. They'll be off to school next year. Congrats to them, btw. This post isn't about your decision, Laura, but its effect on me. Laura's been here for as long as I can remember. Her family is the one that most closely resemble mine. Kids about the same age, working ahead in most areas. She's just one year ahead of me, so she's been sort of like a mentor for me, even if she doesn't know it. (hats off to you Laura! and thanks for the help you provided through the years). Now her kids will be in school.

I feel like I"m losing my real life and my online support for those high school years. Yesterday, I had the phone number to the nearest acceptable private high school in hand. I couldn't call. DS does not want to go to school. He's still got issues to work on before he can experience success in a school environment. And I've planned his high school years already. I'm happy with them. *BUT* the local governement has closed doors to higher education if one does not have a local high school degree (obviously only applies to residents). So DS needs the local degree. What I've planned for him will not lead to the local degree. My planification is shot. My support is dead. It looks like this family lifestyle we all love might come to an end, while no one wants that!

CleoQc - sending lots of :grouphug:

I'm sorry but I don't understand what the issue is. How are they closing doors to higher education? Is this in the US? My kids are young so I'm not dealing with this but like to keep abreast of anything affecting HSing.

more hugs,

Capt_Uhura

I'm sorry but I don't understand what the issue is. How are they closing doors to higher education? Is this in the US?

No, it's in Quebec. Residents absolutely need a high school diploma from the ministry of education to be able to continue their studies to CEGEP and universities. (CEGEP is a 2 year program to prepare for universities, or a 3 year program to become a technician in something). No diploma, no CEGEP. No CEGEP, no university. And right now, no one knows how a homeschool child can be evaluated for such a diploma. Homeschooling is legal here, but does not lead to the diploma. It's a huge mess, with the state wanting to control everything from scratch to finish.

Univ. of Ottawa, for example, is very bilingual and also very homeschooler friendly. What happens if you do a year at Univ. of Ottawa, for example, and then try to transfer to a Quebec university? Do you still get stuck on the technicalities? Are there any Francophone equivalents to Athabasca?

On a slightly different topic: At one point we were looking at McGill, and I did look into their policy on homeschoolers: http://www.mcgill.ca/applying/undergrad2010-11/homeschooled/ Is this option likely to disappear due to the regulations you are discussing?

Cleo

DD applied to McGill (& Dalhousie in Nova Scotia) and was accepted at both schools. They both have homeschool policies in place and were very responsive to our questions. We also looked into Bishop's University and they were also responsive.

Since the SAT is available in Canada, this should be a route open to you, too. You may have to travel further to find a test site but even if you have to cross into Vermont or New York this should be a viable solution.

We submitted SAT reasoning, 3 SAT III tests (and her AP scores but they weren't required for admission, they'll come into play for placement), our homeschool course of study with texts and a recommendation from an online instructor.

These should all be doable for you, too. You can homeschool high school and still get your child into college.

HTH

~Moira

Aw, Cleo, how do you stand it??? :grouphug: I was also going to say, would you consider a move to Ottawa for the rest of their growing up time? It's frustrating just reading about how things are in Quebec! Or a move anywhere else in Canada? Things are good here in NS, and I believe NB, too. You won't lose online support from me here in the Maritimes - I'm planning to go all the way through high school. You should move to Halifax :D - remember, we have the IWK hospital for children, and great allergy doctors. Plenty of welcoming universities, too. Good library system, access to the ocean, PEI, culture, etc..

Edited by Colleen in NS

would you consider a move to Ottawa for the rest of their growing up time? ... You should move to Halifax :D -

I don't think moving is really a possibility. DH is tied to his job with the retirement package they offer. Since I'm not earning money, we depend on that package for our retirement. So, for us, moving means splitting the family.

DD applied to McGill (& Dalhousie in Nova Scotia) and was accepted at both schools.

But is your DD a Quebec resident? Universities accept people from all over the world, and the rules vary depending on where you come from.

As it stands now, McGill still applies the homeschoolers 'protocol' to Quebec homeschoolers, but I briefly contacted them, and they were not encouraging at all. I also need to confirm that we can 'sneak in' based on the admission rules for American homeschoolers, and still be eligible for the Quebec resident fees. Some tell me no, some tell me yes. It's quite a few $$ per year.

The university of Ottawa is definitely what we'll be aiming at. It's possible to transfer from one university to another. Or DS could even do everything in Ottawa. I have family nearby, he wouldn't be completely alone.

To continue homeschooling here, in this province, is quite risky when higher education is concerned. That's why so many are giving up locally (I'm not saying this applies to Laura. She doesn't live here and none of this applies to her). I feel like those early homeschoolers who were illegal. Why am I being made to feel I'm doing something illegal when it's not???

Thanks for all the hugs. You guys have better stay around for the next couple of years. I'll be needing you!

We're impressed by the hassle free "Head Start" program.

What is really hassle free? I've heard of the Head Start program. I know a couple of homeschoolers that have made use of it.

And Ruth, would you take an extra child (for rent, of course) during the school year in a couple of years? ;-)

Universities accept people from all over the world, and the rules vary depending on where you come from.

As it stands now, McGill still applies the homeschoolers 'protocol' to Quebec homeschoolers, but I briefly contacted them, and they were not encouraging at all. I also need to confirm that we can 'sneak in' based on the admission rules for American homeschoolers, and still be eligible for the Quebec resident fees. Some tell me no, some tell me yes. It's quite a few $$ per year.

Wow, that just seems so not fair. Why do the rules vary according to where you are from??

Thanks for all the hugs. You guys have better stay around for the next couple of years. I'll be needing you!

I'll probably be here - I'll need support, too. You can always come visit me again!:D

Wow, that just seems so not fair. Why do the rules vary according to where you are from??

Well, not quite. Residents have their universities subsidized. A year would cost about 3K$ (plus books, of course) for residents. Paid by taxes. So yeah, if the govt pays, the govt can put its own rules.

I may not know what I'm talking about here, but I believe Canadian Universities would accept British GCSE credits. I'm originally from Singapore and we use the GCSE exams. Many of my friends attended Canadian Universities. I'm just wondering if your child could take these courses via distance learning.

http://www.ool.co.uk/GCSE/GCSEDistanceLearningHome.htm

I may not know what I'm talking about here, but I believe Canadian Universities would accept British GCSE credits.

http://www.ool.co.uk/GCSE/GCSEDistanceLearningHome.htm

Yes, Canadian universities will accept GCSE credits. Again, the problem is that this does not apply to residents of this province. The ministry of education said something about closing all those doors for Quebec residents. Universities would still accept those from foreigners. It is something we're looking into though, and I *really* appreciate the link to the long distance classes. This may be what I need for DS's science courses!

And in the meantime, I'll pray that something changes. I know HSLDA Canada is in court these days to defend against what's happening. I don't know any details though. I'm just praying real hard that something positive will happen!

Edited by CleoQc

Again, the problem is that this does not apply to residents of this province. The ministry of education said something about closing all those doors for Quebec residents. Universities would still accept those from foreigners.

This is just crazy, isn't it. I get your point about residents being subsidized through taxes and all, but wow - Quebec's educational system is really uptight, isn't it.

I know HSLDA Canada is in court these days to defend against what's happening.

I will look forward to my next Communique report from them. I'm a member, but haven't gotten any e-mails lately about this.

But is your DD a Quebec resident? Universities accept people from all over the world, and the rules vary depending on where you come from.

Dd is being admitted as a homeschooler who happens to be from the US. My understanding is that you get the Quebec tuition rate by being a resident of Quebec not by being a product of the Quebec education system. Dd is being treated as a Canadian for fees because she has that citizenship, she has been treated as an American only for the purposes on scholarship assessment.

Isn't it true that Quebec is mainly interested in ensuring a francophone education? You are educating primarily in French, that should get you something.

This is my eldest child and thus the first time I have been through the college application process. I was concerned about how she would fare since she wanted to go to Canada. I knew others had blazed the trail to US colleges, there have been fewer homeschoolers at that level in Canada to date. Things have worked out really well.

Most Canadian college admissions seem to be driven more by grades than anything else. If your dc's have the grades (or SAT scores or whatever) then the colleges will admit them. They want good students.

There is always FUD -- Fear Uncertainty & Doubt -- but, if you and your dh believe that homeschooling is right for your children, then you should go with that. My mom told me once that it isn't the decisions you agonize about that will result in your children telling you that you ruined their lives but the ones that you made without hesitation because you knew it was right.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

HTH

~Moira

Edited by Moira in MA

No questions about our homemade transcript. No need to "prove" dd was ready for university classes. No barrier to signing questions about signing up for the 2nd class, even 'though grades for the 1st class weren't yet posted.

And--once a kid has taken several classes through the Head Start program, there apparently is no hassle about moving to full-time status. (I assume there is some kind of minimum gpa required, and there may be some questions about math/science preparation if going into science or math.)

I'm so sorry! I don't know how to help since I'm not familiar with what is occurring there. Some days I feel as if a time will come shortly when we will be in the same boat here. Is it possible for him to come to school in the US if schools are not open to him there? Or are there perhaps vo-tech or community college type schools where he might still be able to get in, then transfer after a year or two of work there into the college he prefers?

Hugs, Cleo. Clonlara won't work, I take it? Are there any schools in Canada that serve as both a school and a homeschool cover school? They might be more sympathetic to the bilingual problem. I know in the US, there are alternative-type private schools that are willing to work with homeschoolers and issue them a diploma.

I've looked at Clonlara, and it's too expensive. I'd send my son to private school here before going with Clonlara! There are some very nice private schools for that price range!

Mother of Divine Grace is not expensive but I didn't like their courses. They're not bad courses, just not what we want. I don't want that much US history, I want more maths, more sciences. It really depends on the kid and your family background.

CNED full time is also a possibility, it's French instead of American, but does not lead to a diploma. One has to take the 'baccalaureat' after everything is done. That's another possibility.

But again, all those solutions may not apply anyway. As it stands now, the govt has closed access to CEGEP (our pre-university program) for Quebec residents who don't have a Quebec high school diploma. There's talk that they want to do the same for universities. So all those solutions would mean nothing. As a Quebec resident, the only diploma that will be recognised is through the Quebec gvt. The govt wants to apply different rules for admission based on residency. They were able to do it for CEGEP, they may not be able to do it for universities, since they're more independent. But they're looking to close the 'loophole' . Can you say 'all-controlling govt' ?? :glare:

But again, all those solutions may not apply anyway. As it stands now, the govt has closed access to CEGEP (our pre-university program) for Quebec residents who don't have a Quebec high school diploma. There's talk that they want to do the same for universities. So all those solutions would mean nothing. As a Quebec resident, the only diploma that will be recognised is through the Quebec gvt. The govt wants to apply different rules for admission based on residency. They were able to do it for CEGEP, they may not be able to do it for universities, since they're more independent. But they're looking to close the 'loophole' . Can you say 'all-controlling govt' ?? :glare:

So frustrating. I get it now, what you are talking about. I wonder why I haven't gotten any e-lerts from HSLDA about this bit. Must go look at their website.

I wonder why I haven't gotten any e-lerts from HSLDA about this bit. Must go look at their website.

All we had was a prayer request for their court appearance. As long as it's in court, they can't talk about, and they can't post anything on their website. From the very little that I know through the grapevine, a few families are being taken to court for not following the provincial curriculum. Over here, that's very restrictive. You must use province-approved books, and teach exactly as if you had a classroom. Since classroom work is all based on team work, that's sort of an impossibility at home, but I have yet to meet an education official that can get that simple equation.. Sigh...

All we had was a prayer request for their court appearance. As long as it's in court, they can't talk about, and they can't post anything on their website. From the very little that I know through the grapevine, a few families are being taken to court for not following the provincial curriculum. Over here, that's very restrictive. You must use province-approved books, and teach exactly as if you had a classroom. Since classroom work is all based on team work, that's sort of an impossibility at home, but I have yet to meet an education official that can get that simple equation.. Sigh...

I'm happy to be paying my HSLDA fees - this is worth it. :grouphug:

I can't contribute productively to solving your problem, as I'm a U.S. person; however, you have my most sincere :grouphug: ! (I was alerted to this thread by a cross-post.) I'll be praying for your family, and shall ask my close friend in Montreal also to pray. I hope that McGill works out. I always have heard that it is a fine university. (When I was up there in 2008, I got to see the campus.)

:grouphug:

I have always marvelled at people who managed to homeschool in Quebec because by all accounts it sounds very difficult.

I do have a slightly different perspective on this - & I realize that coming from someone who homeschools in probably the most liberal province as far as hs laws go, it may not be that applicable.

But anyway. I decided long ago to not worry at all about what the province or the colleges were going to require 5, 4, 3, 2 or even 1 year down the road, for the simple reason that they keep changing things anyway.

We have people who immigrate to our province, their children challenge exams, make up a class or two & with portfolios, SAT's etc can still access pretty much everything. Somewhere along the way, I decided to not try to jump any bureaucratic hoops & instead, when my dd finally decides what she wants to do, we'll figure out how to get her there *then*. In our case & in our province, I still believe that it IS possible to parachute into the system really late in the game if that's what she decides to do.

Our provincial highschool diploma is commonly called a Dogwood (b/e of the flower on it LOL) and generally speaking, I think it does make things easier as far as getting into a college or university. Traditional hands-off homeschoolers don't get the Dogwood btw, but I know some who have got into our colleges & universities anyways.

Otherwise, people sign up with distance learning schools or traditional bricks and mortar schools and with a sympathetic principal have worked out which courses they can get advance credit for & which they'd need to actually take &/or write exams for.

So anyway - my inclination would be to ride it out, or to move, or to consider completely different options for him. (what about online programs from another province, like BC's EBus? http://www.ebus.ca/ I know it's only free for BC residents so you'd get charged but I think it would be less than a private school. OTOH, I don't know whether a bc provincial diploma would help your ds?)

best wishes

Cleo I'm so sorry. What a horrible decision to have to face. Do you have anything like a GED in Canada? Some home schoolers here in the US have had to take the GED test in order to get accepted into some post graduate schools - like cosmetology. Another thought, would it be possible for you to home school them throughout high school, and then have them take the GED in the US? Could they then get accepted into your colleges? Just seems like there has to be a better way than putting him into school.

:grouphug:

I am so sorry Cleo about your dilemma. All I can say is that it looks like there are slim openings for your son to go to college. I would say that if your son does not want to go to school and you feel that he would not be best served by going to school, you don't send him to school. I had other issues with my oldest where I was really worried about who would accept him in college. He didn't take CC, AP, or SAT 2. He is now a senior in college with a great GPA and figuring out which graduate schools he will apply to.

If you are bent on sending him to one of the colleges that is in ine with the QUebecois government in harassing homeschoolers, I guess you have a very big problem. But as others have said, if you are okay with colleges in other provinces or the US, I think you will be fine.

I will pray for you and the homeschoolers in Quebec and I am very happy that HSLDA is fighting for you.

I'm sorry that this is so tough for you, Cleo, and that it has been partly triggered by my boys' decisions. It sounds like the college situation is very uncertain, and who wants to home educate conscientiously towards an uncertain future?

What years does your son have to attend school in order to get the diploma? I know he's advanced, so the work might not be the most stimulating, but would it be worth putting him into school for as many years as are needed to get it? Assuming that it's not too long. Would the years between now and (say) fourteen give him the growing room that he needs? I'm not in the least saying that school is a better option - I think you're in a very tight spot though.

And thank you for your kind words. I don't feel like anyone's mentor, but I've been glad of your companionship, way back to the old boards.

Laura

What years does your son have to attend school in order to get the diploma?

There are two ways of approaching this. I could send him to private school and get him a decent education, in which case he has to go now, this coming september. Private schools are in such demands that they fill up quickly. It's quite possible I can't find a place for him anyway.

Or I can send him to public school (we're zoned for a not-so-very-good school) and have him attend grades 9 to 11, based on his age. So two more years at home, and then three years in school, graduating at age 17, which is standard here, since we don't have grade 12. So that's three years in a school with drugs and gangs problems and him being completely bored.

There's another possibility, which would be to keep him home, and play according to the school board rules for the last 2 years of high school. However, even school boards don't know how to play this game, because the rules have changed with the new education reform. They have no clue how to evaluate a homeschool student anymore, because it's no longer exam-based. The new rules talk about behaviour in class, not about knowledge.

It is quite possible we'll be going this way, or aiming for U of Ottawa "step forward" program.

Thank you all for the moral support. We'll keep going with homeschooling, till my next crisis ;-)

Wow! Education is cheap where you are! The good private day school near us is over 17,000/year. Not that I don't agree with you about Clonlara being rather on the expensive side. That is why we aren't using them, either. But still... Interesting, about CNED not leading to a diploma. Does high school in Quebeque lead to a diploma? Do the students normally take the bacc? I would guess not, at least now, since otherwise I should think you would have no problem. I think I would try to find a sympathetic school to work with. Can you find one in Maine? Some people there speak French at home, so the bilingual concept might (might?) not be as much of an issue, and I think Maine has an alternative set of graduation requirements that can be used, not just the more standard 4 English, 4 math, etc.

I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. It must feel like your government has betrayed you.

-Nan

Wow! Education is cheap where you are!

Yes it's cheap. Take a look at

http://www.mcgill.ca/undergrad/money/

For a Quebec resident, a year (30 credits) is less than 2,000$

For an international student (American for example) it's between $14,000 - $23,000

We've always budgeted for the 2K. I don't think we could swing it if it's more than 2K. But with the cheap education comes so many strings. Maybe it will explain why the rules are different when you're a Quebec resident.

I could send him to private school and get him a decent education, in which case he has to go now, this coming september.

public school ... and have him attend grades 9 to 11,

I know you concluded with that you are going to keep homeschooling til the next crisis, :D but why, if you chose private school, would have have to go this Sept., when if he went to p.s., he could wait til grade 9? Do private schools there require kids to go grades 7-11, or no diploma or something like that?

Yes it's cheap. Take a look at

http://www.mcgill.ca/undergrad/money/

For a Quebec resident, a year (30 credits) is less than 2,000$

:svengo: Wow! No wonder the gov't. is fighting tough and no wonder you want to stay there, esp. if he can live at home! I didn't know McGill had different fees for Quebec, other Canadians, and internationals. I think the N.S. universities have Canadian and international fees, but not N.S.-student specific fees. Scholarships for Nova Scotians, I think, but not separate fees, I don't think. (although I should look more closely at that)

Hang in there, Cleo! I surely hope things change over the next few years - I'm sure there are many Quebec homeschoolers who are capable of giving their kids a university-worthy education. They should have that freedom!!!!!!!

Wow! Education is cheap where you are! The good private day school near us is over 17,000/year. Not that I don't agree with you about Clonlara being rather on the expensive side. That is why we aren't using them, either. But still... Interesting, about CNED not leading to a diploma. Does high school in Quebeque lead to a diploma? Do the students normally take the bacc? I would guess not, at least now, since otherwise I should think you would have no problem. I think I would try to find a sympathetic school to work with. Can you find one in Maine? Some people there speak French at home, so the bilingual concept might (might?) not be as much of an issue, and I think Maine has an alternative set of graduation requirements that can be used, not just the more standard 4 English, 4 math, etc.

I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. It must feel like your government has betrayed you.

-Nan

I just wanted to comment on the CNED not leading to a diploma. No high school in France leads to a diploma in a way similar to a US high school.

At the end of grade 12 you have to take (and pass) the baccalaureat to receive your high school diploma. You don't have to be in high school or even follow the CNED to take it you can just register as an independent candidate however you better have followed the program somewhat because otherwise you have no chance.

No, it's in Quebec. Residents absolutely need a high school diploma from the ministry of education to be able to continue their studies to CEGEP and universities. (CEGEP is a 2 year program to prepare for universities, or a 3 year program to become a technician in something). No diploma, no CEGEP. No CEGEP, no university. And right now, no one knows how a homeschool child can be evaluated for such a diploma. Homeschooling is legal here, but does not lead to the diploma. It's a huge mess, with the state wanting to control everything from scratch to finish.

Homeschooling in Quebec is HARD! I hope you figure out the best solution, even if it means going to university out of province.

Edited by Karin

Wow!

Ok, I think you explained this before, but what happens to students who move into Quebec mid-hgh school? Could you work with another school as a homeschooler and then transfer to a Quebec school for the last year? We had a Canadian friend who homeschooled here and then sent his son to Canada for the last year of high school so he could then go to university in high school. It wasn't Quebec.

What a mess. I hope it gets straightened out in a bit and they figure out how to include homeschoolers in their university system.

-Nan

• 2 weeks later...

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Hang in there, Cleo. It's been great having a vocal Canadian on this board. I realize that you have hurdles we don't have in Ontario. I'm amazed at how much Quebec subsidizes McGill.

I don't know how to encourage you other than to let you know that we're also homeschooling high school, albeit with less oppostion. Other posters had some good thoughts about bilingual universities outside of Quebec, although maybe not of the caliber of McGill. I'm amazed at how much Quebec subsidizes McGill.