Menu

If I want to buy new dishes where should I look?

I've been to Macy's, JC Penneys, and Belk's websites. I can't think of any place else to look. Maybe Bed Bath and Beyond?

I know the Hive has more options. Would you list them

If you're looking at high quality that will last you for years (which also means more spendy), I like the Longaberger dishes.

More info please....

Material: plastic, ceramic, corelle like ????

Thin like corelle like or thick like Fiesta Ware?

Color: Single color, Single pattern, mixed solid, mixed pattern, mixed everything?

What is your preferred budget? What is the most your willing spend for exactly the right thing.

Do you want matching serving dishes? Will coordinating serving dishes be okay if they aren't exactly the same? Are there any colors you don't want, all white, all black etc?

Place settings: equal of everything or 12 plates, 8 cups etc... If you are buying loose stock, it is good to know what you really need, we are programmed to buy everything in sets. (The last time I bought open stock I bought 16 plates-I use them in prep too, 12 salad plates, 8 bowls, 8 cups, 4 serving plates) It was a great combo for my house.

How often do you replace dishes? every few years (a few broken won't be a problem) or you want these to last for years and years.

Plates: Flat or raised sides. Do you wash them in the dishwasher, microwave them, put them in the oven? Salad and Dinner plates?

Bowls: smaller sized for kids cereal, over-sized, shallow with a lip, deep for soup. Cereal and/or pasta bowls?

Cups: tea cup style, mug, BIg mug or don't use them? Do you want a separate saucer for the cups?

I bought new dishes last year and one thing I suggest is to make sure they will fit in your cupboard and dishwasher. The first ones I bought didn't :confused: because they were just a smidge big. The I could have made it work but it would have resulted in a lot of extra loads of dishes. I was glad I had only opened one box as I repacked them and took them back to the store.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

More info please....

Material: plastic, ceramic, corelle like ????

Stoneware, the heavy kind

Thin like corelle like or thick like Fiesta Ware?

Color: Single color, Single pattern, mixed solid, mixed pattern, mixed everything?

Mixed patternish I've got solid white Pfaltzgraff now. I want to move 180* from that.

What is your preferred budget? What is the most your willing spend for exactly the right thing.

Middle- to high-end

Do you want matching serving dishes? Will coordinating serving dishes be okay if they aren't exactly the same? Are there any colors you don't want, all white, all black etc?

No pastels, close enough serving dishes are good.

Place settings: equal of everything or 12 plates, 8 cups etc... If you are buying loose stock, it is good to know what you really need, we are programmed to buy everything in sets. (The last time I bought open stock I bought 16 plates-I use them in prep too, 12 salad plates, 8 bowls, 8 cups, 4 serving plates) It was a great combo for my house.

At least service for 12, we entertain a lot. Open stock is great

How often do you replace dishes? every few years (a few broken won't be a problem) or you want these to last for years and years.

I haven't replaced dishes in 11 years. But I'm southern at heart so having lots of seasonal patterns would make me happy.

Plates: Flat or raised sides. Do you wash them in the dishwasher, microwave them, put them in the oven? Salad and Dinner plates?

Either, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.

Bowls: smaller sized for kids cereal, over-sized, shallow with a lip, deep for soup. Cereal and/or pasta bowls?

Cereal and/or pasta bowls. Or a set with cereal bowls, soup bowls and pasta plates

Cups: tea cup style, mug, BIg mug or don't use them? Do you want a separate saucer for the cups?

Not necessary. I'll take them if it end up I have to buy a set.

I bought new dishes last year and one thing I suggest is to make sure they will fit in your cupboard and dishwasher. The first ones I bought didn't :confused: because they were just a smidge big. The I could have made it work but it would have resulted in a lot of extra loads of dishes. I was glad I had only opened one box as I repacked them and took them back to the store.

So noted.

I have had my Fiesta for about 5yrs now, the only thing I would change is maybe the color. They are thick, they can go in the oven to keep dad's dinner warm, they come in all colors of the rainbow, and you can get them just about anywhere. Happy Dish Hunting.:001_smile::001_smile:

Edited by mysticamethyst
can't spell

I bought these a few years ago. I love them because I don't have to worry about all the colors being the same, they come out with new colors every so often and I just buy two of whatever color. Right now I have red, blue, green, yellow, and white. I have the cereal bowls and the bigger bowls. I started requesting service pieces from family for gifts. I love them and they are pretty good wearing. I've only chipped one mug in the last 4 years.

Sorrento by Signature

I saw them at a small specialty store in San Antonio - I don't know of any dept. stores where they are sold.

Regarding Pfaltzgraff, it is no longer made in the USA and I can tell the difference in the newer plates. We got our original Heritage Pfaltzgraff for our wedding 11 years ago. My MIL bought us some replacement plates for Christmas and there is a noticeable difference in the quality since they started making them in China. For our next dish purchase, I plan to go with the Fiestaware (still made in the USA) and is of better quality than the newer Pfaltzgraff. The Fiestaware can be caught on sale at Kohl's for pretty decent prices.

FIESTAWARE?????? I love my new Fiestaware. I've had it for about a month now. I picked up my place settings at Kohls. They frequently have great sales. I did order a couple of place settings from zestydishes on-line. I wanted larger mugs than I could get at Kohls. I did break one of the cereal bowls last week. I dropped it when taking it out of the microwave. It shattered. Into lots and lots of pieces. :-( I promptly went to amazon.com and ordered a new bowl. It was here within 2 days. I love the ability to order open stock! My kids unload the dishwasher, and they're not gentle about it. So far, so good. No chips or cracks. :-)

I went to a local restaurant supply store and bought some great "fiestaware" looking plates and soup/pasta bowls. I found the open stock stuff at department stores to be too expensive and we don't use all the things that come with a place setting from the discount stores. Last year, I bought 12 plates and 12 bowls in mixed colors for $100. It is all open stock, so I can replace one at a time. I keep wanting to go and get small sandwich plates, but just haven't done it yet. They are made for restaurants, so they are very chip resistant. I'm sure you could find an on-line vendor if you don't have one close.

Good luck!

I have Mikasa Garden Harvest. Their quality is excellent for casual dinnerware and they have a good assortment of patterns. I would say the pricing is in the mid-level to higher end, depending on the pattern.

I find the best prices at Amazon and www.homeclick.com. However, I added more place settings a few months ago and actually ordered them from the Mikasa website (www.mikasa.com). If you get on their e-mail list they send you notifications of sales and special offers. I got 25% off and free shipping and it was cheaper than Amazon!

If you are interested in better-quality dinnerware without being fancy, look in some of the high-end department stores for patterns and when you find one you like search online for a better price.

Thanks everyone. I think it is either going to be Fiestaware or the round and square solids from Pier 1.

Scratch Pier 1. There isn't a store within 2 hours from us.

That is part of the problem. I don't have a lot of places to shop so I do quite a bit online. Quite a few of the suggested stores do not have online shopping available.

Edited by Parrothead

Have you looked at Denby?

Denby

There is also a factory seconds site.

Costco sells Denby online in a two tone.

I have a few Mikasa Italian Countryside pieces as well, but they haven't held up to heavy use.

My last dishes were Noritake and I love the weight and feel of them. They held up okay to heavy use, but I did have some breakage. They don't sell them through the website but if you find ones you like, you can google a store that sells them online or try Amazon.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

Thanks everyone. I think it is either going to be Fiestaware or the round and square solids from Pier 1.

Scratch Pier 1. There isn't a store within 2 hours from us.

That is part of the problem. I don't have a lot of places to shop so I do quite a bit online. Quite a few of the suggested stores do not have online shopping available.

They've only got the one pattern, but I love the Pampered Chef Dots dishes my aunt gave me.

I like IKEA's dishes because they are cheap enough to have more than one set and I'm not too sad if they get broken. Their dish sets also don't come with coffee mugs, I appreciate that because I have a million coffee mugs with crests of various military units on them. :tongue_smilie:

Oh and I don't live near an IKEA, I made one of my friends go to IKEA, buy them and ship them to me. It was *still* cheaper than any of the other dish sets we looked at!

Fiestaware has square dishes, too.

http://www.megachina.com

Oh, and I wanted to add: I have Fiestaware in about 5 or 6 colors, but all my serving dishes are the white. I mix a few FW platters with the French White Correlle serving pieces. By using the white serving dishes, I can use them for any occasion, but dress the table up with the different colors of the FW. Just a thought. :)

Edited by OnTheBrink

Take care of that cabin fever and go to a good sized outlet mall and you can touch all the pretty dishes. We love our Villeroy and Boch. It costs more than some but we've only broken one or two pieces in 20 years.

Touch the pretty dishes, skim the lovely books, play with the shiny appliances....

:auto:

If the closest outlet mall wasn't 3 1/2 hour away I would. We are even too far from Bangor to make it practical to go more than once a month.

Dh keeps teasing me by telling me that he wants to get a teaching spot 45 minutes from D.C. Oh, to be back in the city - any city with more than 50,000 people.

• 3 weeks later...

Costco

Crate & Barrel

Pier 1

Tuesday Morning

IKEA

Outlet malls often have stores carrying specific brands. We've replaced broken stuff at the Dansk outlet. I LOVE our Dansk...it has lasted for 14 years. We've only broken 2 plates, and have dropped them onto tile many times. If you can find the Portuguese-produced Dansk, it is better than the eastern-country produced Dansk (I think it is made in Thailand). There are usually other brands in outlet malls as well.

Replacements.com is a good source, too.