Menu

This is why I do not want to go to the dentist!!

WARNING: VENT AHEAD

A couple of months ago, I was flossing, and a piece of one of my fillings fell out. So, I went to the dentist yesterday for the first time in 18 months. I know, I was a year late, but I just don't make it a priority, and when I do go, it's always bad, bad, bad. Not only do I need to have that tooth refilled, but I also have four cavities. I take VERY good care of my teeth. I do not drink sugary drinks, I don't have a mint or gum habit. I am just so cavity prone. When I was growing up, I NEVER had a cavity. But as soon as I started having kids, my teeth started going downhill. Of course, I try to tell my dentist and hygienist that I take good care of my teeth, but I'm sure they don't really believe me. They just grin and nod. I am so frustrated!!! Now I am going to have a huge bill, and it's going to take more than one trip to get them fixed. I had a headache all day yesterday after the appointment. I don't know what else to do about it. The dentist did say he will give me a prescription strength fluoride toothpaste. Anyone else have any advice??

Ok, vent over....for now...

:grouphug:

Do you use a fluoride rinse and/or an electric toothbrush? My dad always had terrible teeth and he swears by his use of the fluoride rinse (along with good brushing habits and good flossing) now. My dentist and hygienists concur and also recommend a waterpik and electric toothbrushes.

Think of it this way: If you'd kept waiting, you'd have to pay for root canals instead of just cavities. Ask me how I know :(

Do you use a fluoride rinse and/or an electric toothbrush? My dad always had terrible teeth and he swears by his use of the fluoride rinse (along with good brushing habits and good flossing) now. My dentist and hygienists concur and also recommend a waterpik and electric toothbrushes.

Think of it this way: If you'd kept waiting, you'd have to pay for root canals instead of just cavities. Ask me how I know :(

I don't use a fluoride rinse or electric toothbrush, but I will start using both, if it will help. Thank you! And yes, I am glad I didn't wait. I certainly don't want to have to have root canals.

Is this dentist the same one you always go to? If so, I'd consider a second opinion.

This is a new dentist, actually.

Did you get anesthetic shots yesterday? I have my dentist cut my shots down, because the full shot is so overkill it gives me terrible headaches. I get a 1/2 shot for the first shot and only 1/4 after that. Does the trick just fine and saves me the headache.

No, I only had a cleaning, exam, and x-rays yesterday.

I wouldn't assume they think you don't take care of your teeth. They probably do see people who have more trouble with cavities then others despite the care they take.

Frankly, I'd go more often. I go every 6 months (partly because I have trouble too) and it's made a huge difference. The dentist can spot little problems before they become bigger and can help with thorough cleanings and flouride treatments. Ask your dentist about what more you can do as well. But since you know cavities are an issue make regular checkups a priority and don't let other things take precedence.

Start thinking of trips to the dentist as a preventative measure rather then something you do after the fact of cavities. I mean, it's costing you money anyway with the cavities, right? Frequent visits would probably be cheaper in the long run.

Aside from the I second the flouride mouthwash and electric toothbrush. A toothepaste like Sensodyne also helps (although stay away from any whitening toothpastes - they'd abrasive).

My mom... never a cavity in all of her life I think.... does ...tooth brushing each morning and night... (for at least or longer than the recommended time...) flosses each night.... and water piks.. (which the hygienist says is a key to good tooth~gum health. I notice that when I water pik (do it on low enough force) my gums are much healthier... My mom's person last recommended the peri brush... I think it is?? All of this... gum or teeth health... adds to lesser chance of cavities... as it helps with the whole... "mouth care".. I... not taking as good care of my teeth... feel lucky if I only have one cavity a year...

:-)

One more thing...If you have any anxiety or fear of dentist trips frequent visits can help too. I used to be terrified but after I found the right dentist and started going regularly it improved a lot. It makes a difference when visits start to become easy, and low-stress cleanings and you get good news more foten then not. :)

Last time I went to the dentist I was long overdue. I had never had a cavity before, and was thrilled when the dentist looked at the x-rays and said things looked fine. Then, when he examined my mouth, he said there were 4 cavities! I made an appointment to have them all filled at once and ended up getting a different dentist when I went back -- she said there was one very tiny one that should be filled, and that the other 3 marked on my chart were deep grooves in the tooth that should be watched carefully -- not decay cavities. I was so relieved, and am still upset that if the office had scheduled the fillings to be done by the first dentist, it would have been a lot of unnecessary work.

Yes! Get a second opinion! - (and especially beware of dentists who try to sell you expensive toothbrushes.)

When I was in college I went to one dentist who told me I had 8 cavities and needed a root planing... he also wanted me to buy the fancy $200 toothbrush his office sold... to avoid it from happening again.

I went home to my childhood dentist for a second opinion.

He said I had one small cavity - and he reported the other dentist to the ADA.

WARNING: VENT AHEAD

A couple of months ago, I was flossing, and a piece of one of my fillings fell out. So, I went to the dentist yesterday for the first time in 18 months. I know, I was a year late, but I just don't make it a priority, and when I do go, it's always bad, bad, bad. Not only do I need to have that tooth refilled, but I also have four cavities. I take VERY good care of my teeth. I do not drink sugary drinks, I don't have a mint or gum habit. I am just so cavity prone. When I was growing up, I NEVER had a cavity. But as soon as I started having kids, my teeth started going downhill. Of course, I try to tell my dentist and hygienist that I take good care of my teeth, but I'm sure they don't really believe me. They just grin and nod. I am so frustrated!!! Now I am going to have a huge bill, and it's going to take more than one trip to get them fixed. I had a headache all day yesterday after the appointment. I don't know what else to do about it. The dentist did say he will give me a prescription strength fluoride toothpaste. Anyone else have any advice??

Ok, vent over....for now...

Cavities and such are more genetic than anything else. There is little you can do to impact it. I mentioned in the last dental thread, my family dentist growing up talked to my mom and aunt about this all of the time because our family apparently has weak enamel and lots of issues with cavities (and I've been to a lot of different dentists). He told my mom that he had terrible teeth and lots of cavities but saw people in his practice who were alcoholics, didn't take care of themselves at all and yet had perfect teeth. Don't beat yourself up and don't think the dentist doesn't believe you. I have had tons of cavities but am way better at brushing and flossing than my dh who has never had a cavity. :glare:

Thanks everybody. I am not really planning to get a second opinion. This dentist is the long time dentist of one of my good friends and her entire family. He is a good dentist. I am just going to get the work done, look for some fluoride rinse and a new toothbrush, and be very thankful for dental insurance.

This may not help you but...

You mentioned your teeth got worse with pregnancy...

I broke a molar with each of my last two pregnancies(3 and 5 years ago). This Spring I broke another one. It was the last one that the dentist poked on a few tendons and we realized I had developed a terrible case of TMJ. I don't grind my teeth, but I must clench my teeth at night. This explained why I had been battling horrible, horrible migraines every morning.

I was fitted with an NTI for night (it keeps the front teeth from touching and there is NO CONTACT on my back teeth) The headaches are improving and my gums are MUCH, MUCH healthier (less inflamed, red or inclined to bleeding).

I also found out that people with healthier gums have less cavities...

Another thing to look at is if you are on any medications.

I have never had the "hardest" teeth, but with good care, they have stayed intact (eg: fillings, but healthy). After having to start anti-epileptics, they started to, well, fall apart from the inside. I didn't even know that could happen.

My doc said it was just a side effect. I am now on Vitamin D supplementation and just have to take extra care. I also wear a mouth guard to keep pressure off of them. Not drinking soda, which is very acidic, helps protect my enamel.

a

Do you feel water piks help? My mom's dentist recommended one, and she bought it and started using it, but I bought it and felt it didn't do anything and ended up returning it. I don't know if something was defective about mine, but I just didn't "get" it. I would, however, love to have healthier gums.

:iagree: I hadn't been in 2 years, no cavity, and the hygenist said, "Really, two years? I'd have guessed less than 6 months!"

I inherited horrible teeth from my mother. :D

I would also beef up on the nutritional side of things. Pregnancy can be hard on the teeth by using up all that nutrition on growing a baby, I've heard.

I get so many cavities it isn't funny. I have Sjogren's Syndrome which means that my immune system attacks the endocrine glands- the moisture producing glands like saliva and tears. That leads to dry mouth and dry eyes among many other problems. I didn't have cavities as a child. I got maybe 2 in my teen years. Then in my adult years, so many. IT took a while to figure out that I had Sjogren's and it wasn't a dentist who suggested it. He just thought I was a lousy toothbrushed.

I would get a second opinion since I have read that there are some unscrupulous dentists or perhaps not very good ones:(

:iagree: We used to go to a large dental clinic and never saw the same dentist twice-no relationship. Anyway, dh had some sensitivity and they told him he needed a root canal. A friend of ours (dentist) sent him to an entodontist who said no way.

We now go to a local dentist who was referred by others, he knows us, knows our teeth and we trust him.