Menu

Book A Week in 2010 - Book Week 8

Good morning! This weekend is the start of book week 8. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 Books Blog for you to link to your most current reviews.

H is for Hugo, Hugo Gernsback that is. Who you ask? Exactly...that why I wrote about him. I kind of killed three birds with one stone this weekend and posted it on all three blogs. Forgive me! Since I started the Mind Voyages challenge, reading the Hugo winners, I thought it was a good idea to find out who the man was. Very interesting!

I finished "Under The Dome" by Stephen King. It wasn't so much horror, more sci fi and my husband kept saying he took the idea from twilight zone. I'll be reviewing it soon.

First I will be reviewing the memoir "Keeping the Feast" by Paula Buttorini which I read for the Winter Reading Series. She'll be visiting Lisa's blog on Monday to discuss the book as well.

Last night I started Double Eagle by Collard Sneed which is a young adult mystery with a bit of civil war history thrown in. Still working on the details, but will be doing a giveaway and he may do a guest post on My Two Blessings the first week of March.

What are you all reading and learning about this week?

I actually got a few books finished this week. True, they were kid lit and a cookbook with a significant amount of prose, but at least I got something read! I am now working on our book club book for March--A Reliable Wife. Here's my 2010 list so far:

1. Sarah's Key

2. The Art of Racing in the Rain

3. The Last Olympian

4. The Bread Baker's Apprentice

5. The White Queen

6. Spider Sparrow

7. Snow Treasure

8. American Pie

This week, I've finished both Iron & Silk and Lottery.

Iron & Silk is really a series of vignettes about the time when the author was teaching English at a medical university in China. It's an interesting, easy read that covers a variety of interactions, adventures, and other moments he had in China. He has a very straightforward, spare writing style that I find very appealing.

Lottery was another fairly quick, easy read. In more than one way, this book's narrator reminded me of the narrator in The Curious Incident of the Dog In The Night-Time. I laughed & cried while reading Lottery, though overall, I'd say I enjoyed The Curious Incident... more (and thought it was a better written book).

Currently, I'm still (slowly) working through Natasha's Dance: A Cultural History of Russia.

And, yipee, I got a Walter Moers book from the library that I started the other day: The City of Dreaming Books. I love Moers' inventive & creative worlds! His work is such a treat, imo. :D

With the dc, our current read-alouds are The Nobodies (sequel to The Anybodies), A Hat Full of Sky (sequel to The Wee Free Men), and Augustus Caesar's World.

-----

Last Five Books I've read in 2010:

4. Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford

5. Lying Awake by Mark Salzman

6. The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

7. Iron & Silk by Mark Salzman

8. Lottery by Patricia Wood

Books I've read with my dc/young adult books in 2010:

1. The Anybodies by N. E. Bode

2. The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

Books I started but didn't finish in 2010:

1. The Canon by Natalie Angier (would like to read/finish in the future)

2. The Illuminator by Brenda Rickman Vantrease

Guest Virginia Dawn

I'm doing some readings in Physics to prepare for next year. I'm currently reading The Physics of Star Trek :-)

and The Archimides Codex. Both are pretty interesting

I've also got a biography of Foucault lined up, with Foucault's Pendulum (fiction) to follow. Six Easy Pieces is also on my pile. I love reading real books instead of text books! These are not fluff so they are taking me longer to read. I can only handle so much physical science in a sitting. ;-)

I had a lousy reading week. This was my second week of trying to finish Committment by Elizabeth Gilbert. I. just. can't. do. it. I am disappointed. I wanted to like this book so much cause I absolutely loved Eat, Pray, Love. It is not to be, though. I am giving it up.

I have started Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. I am only on pg. 20 but I think I can finish this one. :tongue_smilie:

I had a lousy reading week. This was my second week of trying to finish Committment by Elizabeth Gilbert. I. just. can't. do. it. I am disappointed. I wanted to like this book so much cause I absolutely loved Eat, Pray, Love. It is not to be, though. I am giving it up.

I have started Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. I am only on pg. 20 but I think I can finish this one. :tongue_smilie:

I just finished "Eat, Pray, Love" a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it. I have been watching for the library to get "Committment." Without giving away anything pertinent, what is it about this book that you just. don't. like? I am planning to read it anyway (if the library gets it), but am curious for more input if you feel like giving it.:)

Running List

Read:

-Dragonsinger (old favourite)

-Belle (fr)

-That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week (good book on getting boys organized)

-The Unlikely Disciple: A Year at America's Holiest College (or something like that)

-Outliers (enjoyed)

-Dance with Me (when your mother-in-law says she liked a book and it is a book where a mother gets put in a nursing home, you read it)

-Blink (going to make my sons read this one because we all rely on this ability quite a lot - this was the big lesson I learned in my 30's, so nothing new, but still interesting)

-Cluny Brown (old favourite)

In progress:

Waiting for Godot

Trevor Chamberlain: A Personal View

The Color of Distance

Le gone du Chaaba (fr)

Le Petit Prince

MacBeth

Useful bits:

Classical Music for Dummies

Teen-Proofing and a few other children+schoolwork books

various books on Chinese brush painting

Dogs at Work (or something like that - returned so I can't check the title)

progress.gif

I had a slower reading week. I started "Power to Heal" by Joan Hunter. I will definitely finish this book but got side-tracked with:

#10 - Have a Little Faith, by Mitch Albom. Oh. my. I could. not. put. this book down. It was poignant, to say the least. Touching. Eloquently and honestly written. Inspiring. Refreshing. Enough adjectives! If you've any interest at all, I highly recommend taking the time to read it.

I also read a cartoon digest but I am NOT counting cartoon digests as part of the 52-challenge! I read: "There Goes My Baby!" (A For Better or Worse Collection), by Lynn Johnston. Yes, I admit it - I like this cartoon strip and was so sorry when the creator concluded it. These digests always make me laugh and cry and everything in between . . . :blushing:

And, I am currently reading another cartoon digest (must be some indication of the kind of week I've had . . .) -- "Hi and Lois in Couch Potatoes!"

Now, for REAL reading, I am about to start later this evening a book I saw recommended by the Hive, "The Help", by Kathryn Stockett.:)

I managed a *bit* more on St Augustine :glare: Why aren't I giving up?

Also read 'The Winding Ways Quilt' by Jennifer Chiaverini and 'The Book of Old Tarts' by Elizabeth Hodder. Yes, the edible kind. I found all the recipes online later, which was good since it saved my having to type a few out. I'm considering giving it the best front cover art award. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Book-Old-Tarts-Elizabeth-Hodder/dp/074723034X

Rosie

With the distractions of taxes, the FAFSA and numerous supplementary financial forms (as well as a 2009 financial wrap up of a non-profit where I serve as treasurer), I had a hard time focusing on reading anything heavier than mysteries, Mother Earth News or National Geographic over the last few weeks. But with this financial garbage behind me (at least for a year), I finally finished The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. Not knowing much about the history of the Dominican Republic, I found the book to be depressing. There is an urban grittiness to it which may turn off more sensitive readers.

Next up: The Whale, in Search of the Giants of the Sea by Philip Hoare.

I am also listening to BBC radio dramatizations of Maigret mystery stories. My son enjoys these radio plays as well.

I finally finished The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. Not knowing much about the history of the Dominican Republic, I found the book to be depressing. There is an urban grittiness to it which may turn off more sensitive readers.

Thanks for posting this. I've been wondering what you thought of the book. Hmmmm....

Thanks for posting this. I've been wondering what you thought of the book. Hmmmm....

So the premise of an American nerdy kid who defines himself via comics, fantasy novels, role playing games is not new. But placing him within the Dominican diaspora and providing background of the homeland via family history moves Oscar into an allegorical role. I cringed when reading passages concerning former oppressive ruler Trujillo (shudder).

Edited by Jane in NC
missing consonant

I finished Under the Dome and gave my mini-review on my blog.

Waiting for me is The Book Thief...which I will begin tonight. I also promised dd I would read Lightning Thief....so that one is next n the list. I will probably do both this week. Then my plan is to read the Divine Comedy (Dante) as my classic for next month.

Faithe

I read The Power of Half by Salwen and Salwen this week. A families decision to sell their mansion and give 1/2 to charity. A great look into living a dream that's non-commercial/non-traditional.

And I read The Hunger Games. Existential look at a post-American world destroyed by war. Not as creepy as The Road, though it is nihilistic. Good character development.

A review of books read are up on my blog. List completed in 2010 on my left side-bar.

I managed a *bit* more on St Augustine :glare: Why aren't I giving up?Rosie

I applaud your persistence in reading it. I took one look and decided "later." I did give up on susan's WEM reading method. I just wasn't enjoying reading and don't have time to read things twice, nor take notes. Lost the train of thought of the story too many times. So decided instead to take the list and read for enjoyment and my edification. Sink myself into the books and not resurface unless necessary. Looking forward to hearing your satisfaction of "I finished it" and what you thought of it when you're done. Keep plugging away.

With the distractions of taxes, the FAFSA and numerous supplementary financial forms (as well as a 2009 financial wrap up of a non-profit where I serve as treasurer), I had a hard time focusing on reading anything heavier

I know, I'm supposed to be working on our taxes, getting everything organized and ready to plug into turbo tax. On our next off week that is what I'll be doing. I commiserate, I'll be reading lighter fare during that period of time as well.

I finished Under the Dome and gave my mini-review on my blog.

Waiting for me is The Book Thief...which I will begin tonight. I also promised dd I would read Lightning Thief....so that one is next n the list. I will probably do both this week. Then my plan is to read the Divine Comedy (Dante) as my classic for next month.

Faithe

I just finished "Under the Dome" too. Good vs evil - Kept me reading and reading and reading.

Ack! I forgot about my own challenge to you all to read a classic each month. Off to pick out which one to read next. :)

And I read The Hunger Games. Existential look at a post-American world destroyed by war. Not as creepy as The Road, though it is nihilistic. Good character development.

A review of books read are up on my blog. List completed in 2010 on my left side-bar.

Are you going to read the sequel, Catching Fire? There are a few surprises in it although some of it you would predict given that it's going to be a trilogy.

I just finished "Eat, Pray, Love" a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it. I have been watching for the library to get "Committment." Without giving away anything pertinent, what is it about this book that you just. don't. like? I am planning to read it anyway (if the library gets it), but am curious for more input if you feel like giving it.:)

Committed is more an historical and anthropogical look at marriage. There is the personal aspect as well but not to the extent that it was in Eat, Pray, Love. I think my problem was more when I read it, rather than the book itself. I read it after two fast reads and I think I was all 'read' out and just needed a break. The other thing was that Eat, Pray Love spoke to me on a very deep spiritual level and I was hoping for that same connection with Committed and I didn't get it.

I think I will try to read it again later in the year.

Committed is more an historical and anthropogical look at marriage. There is the personal aspect as well but not to the extent that it was in Eat, Pray, Love. I think my problem was more when I read it, rather than the book itself. I read it after two fast reads and I think I was all 'read' out and just needed a break. The other thing was that Eat, Pray Love spoke to me on a very deep spiritual level and I was hoping for that same connection with Committed and I didn't get it.

I think I will try to read it again later in the year.

Prairiegirl: Thank you for taking time to comment further on this book! I appreciate it! Our public library is a bit slow in getting some of the best sellers, then when they arrive, there is a long waiting list, so it may be some time before I get to read this. Your comments will definitely guide me in choosing WHEN I feel like reading a book like this, as I, too, thought her previous book spoke more from her heart rather than history.:001_smile:

I haven't even faced taxes yet -- I've been too consumed with adjusting to life with just one kid under the roof, worrying about the other one who had bronchitis on the other side of the country, and just juggling everything else in life.

But, I read a very enjoyable book this week, Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier. It is a work of historical fiction about the friendship of two women in the early 1800s, from very different classes, one of whom discovers the first ichthyosaur and plesiosaur fossils. It is an easy, pleasurable read, and gave me pause to consider the life of women during this period -- these are Jane Austen's contemporaries. I wonder how much different their lifes might look if an account of them had been written during their life times -- the license of an author of historical fiction can so easily color a period. I think Ms. Chevalier endeavors to be as honest to the time as possible, but it is a work of fiction. But a good read -- I think many of you would enjoy it.

My lunchtime reading has been Country Driving, about driving in mainland China, and I've just started listening to Asimov's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. I've got a driving trip coming up and I'm planning on listening to this.

I will try to get some mini-reviews and thoughts back on my blog. I still owe Nan an explanation of why I thought Mansfield Park was odd!! I've been thinking about my answer, but have yet to articulate it!

But, I read a very enjoyable book this week, Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier. It is a work of historical fiction about the friendship of two women in the early 1800s, from very different classes, one of whom discovers the first ichthyosaur and plesiosaur fossils. It is an easy, pleasurable read, and gave me pause to consider the life of women during this period -- these are Jane Austen's contemporaries. I wonder how much different their lifes might look if an account of them had been written during their life times -- the license of an author of historical fiction can so easily color a period. I think Ms. Chevalier endeavors to be as honest to the time as possible, but it is a work of fiction. But a good read -- I think many of you would enjoy it.

Oh Jenn--is this book about Mary Anning finding icthyosaurs near Lyme Regis? My son's favorite experience from our trip to England was walking the shore from Lyme Regis to Charmouth. My son collected fossils while I picked up pottery shards and pieces of broken antique glass from an eroding Victorian dump. As our homeschool experience comes to an end, I have more than my share of nostalgic moments. I suspect that Remarkable Creatures would be just the ticket for my frame of mind!

Thank you.

Jane

Are you going to read the sequel, Catching Fire? There are a few surprises in it although some of it you would predict given that it's going to be a trilogy.

I think I will. You know, I was really intrigued by the characters from the get-go. I started the book late at night and really considered not finishing it cause of the content. But I just kept wondering about Katniss and Gale...so I went back and finished it off the next day :001_smile: It is intriguing. And really, I hated The Road because it was so darn fatalistic and gross but this one just seems like there could be a surprise - and a good one, at the end of the suffering.

What did you think of HG or CF?

I think I will. You know, I was really intrigued by the characters from the get-go. I started the book late at night and really considered not finishing it cause of the content. But I just kept wondering about Katniss and Gale...so I went back and finished it off the next day :001_smile: It is intriguing.?

I had the opportunity to download Catching Fire as well as get the book. When I wasn't reading it, I was listening to it. One day, I took it with me via mp3 player to the grocery store. I was gasping out loud "No!" "Really?" "What?!". At one point, I leaned on my cart in the canned foods isle so I could really concentrate.

That is one way to get all the shoppers to give you a wide berth. :D I don't know how many could see the ear buds beneath my hair and the cord weaved into my coat.

I think you will enjoy it. But be warned - the third book doesn't come out til August. :( It is absolutely killing me to know what happened to one of my favorite characters.

I've been reading a hodge podge here.

Finished:

All Cakes Considered ... very drool-worthy.

What I Wish I Knew When I Was 20: A Crash Course on Making Your Place in the World by Tina Seelig. Those who are interested in (or who have children interested in) entrepreneurship might find it of particular value. It was a fairly quick read. I enjoyed some creativity exercises that the author had her students perform. Here is a review:

"Seelig, executive director of the entrepreneurship center at Stanford's School of Engineering, presents a thoughtful, concise set of observations for those making the unsteady transition to adulthood. While the majority of her advice is intended for would-be entrepreneurs, her accessible lessons should come in handy for those in any field, as well as those still trying to decide on a field. Culled from her personal experience as an entrepreneur and teacher, as well as the stories of entrepreneurs and students she knows, Seelig avoids (and at times dissects) cliché and provides informative discussion throughout, despite a narrower focus than readers might expect. A chapter on acknowledging, learning from, and even seeking out failure ("Fail fast and frequently") provides valuable advice and comfort for the fearful, including Seelig's own "failure resumé" (broken into professional, academic and personal failures). The chapter titled "Don't listen to career advice" helps readers avoid the pitfalls of oft-heard, wrong-headed maxims like "follow your passions" and "stick to the plan." Readers will either be relieved or frustrated that Seelig doesn't provide any numbered steps, bullet-pointed recaps or self-assessment quizzes, but she makes the most of her knowledge and authority with a friendly, efficient voice.

Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved."

Currently reading:

Book by Book: The Complete Guide to Creating Mother-Daughter Book Clubs by Cindy Hudson. It makes me regret that I've never been in a book group with my daughter though we certainly have discussed a great many books!

Smart Words: Vocabulary for the Erudite by Mim Harrison. I've encountered a few words that were totally unknown to me and have realized that a few words I thought I knew, I didn't.

Regards,

Kareni

Edited by Kareni

I think I will. You know, I was really intrigued by the characters from the get-go. I started the book late at night and really considered not finishing it cause of the content. But I just kept wondering about Katniss and Gale...so I went back and finished it off the next day :001_smile: It is intriguing. And really, I hated The Road because it was so darn fatalistic and gross but this one just seems like there could be a surprise - and a good one, at the end of the suffering.

What did you think of HG or CF?

I was just like you with the first one. I hated some of the content & found it disturbing, but was so involved in Katnis & Gale and the writing was good enough that it kept me going. The next book helped make that worthwhile, even though there are distrubing things in that one, too. And, like LauraGB I am not happy to have to wait until August to read the next one. Perhaps longer, since I get them via the library.

Laura, your post made me lol!

Oh man, I hate waiting on the next book in a series. We got really into the Raven King series by Lawhead and then he got really, really sick between the 2nd and 3rd book. Ack! My oldest dd was praying for his recovery ;). He did and she got the 3rd book this Christmas.

At least it's coming. Dd and I read the Kiki Strike books and there is no sign that the third one is coming out. In your avatar you remind me a lot of one of my favourite aunts when she was younger.

In your avatar you remind me a lot of one of my favourite aunts when she was younger.

That makes me happy:001_smile: I'd like to be someone's fav aunt at some point but I think I'm too opinionated and conservative for most of my wild and wooly neices and nephews. I think they think conservative means boring- LOL

That makes me happy:001_smile: I'd like to be someone's fav aunt at some point but I think I'm too opinionated and conservative for most of my wild and wooly neices and nephews. I think they think conservative means boring- LOL

It's your laughing look, face shape & hair style that remind me of my aunt. My aunt is far more liberal than I am, but growing up I was liberal, too.

This week I've read a bit more of The History of the Ancient World and read a kids book, Much Ado About Anne. I quite like this series for kids because it ties in good books with a modern story and I can see that it could lead kids into wanting to read them. This one ties into Anne of Green Gables & Anne of Avonlea. The girls in the stories so far can see themselves. In the first one, The Mother-Daughter Book Club they read Little Women and each of the girls fits with one of the 4 daughters, although there is a bit of overlap with Jo. In Anne of Green Gables you see part of Anne in each one of them and there is also a Josie Pye character in the story. But the plots are NOT the same, so it's not merely a modern retelling of a story.

I haven't quite finished this week's book, but I'm reading The Mysterious Benedict Society. Entertaining!

My list this year is:

1. The Promise

2. Going Rogue

3. A Simple Christmas

4. Mansfield Park

5. Three Cups of Tea (failed to finish)

6. The Lightning Thief

7. Dracula

8. The Mysterious Benedict Society

Indicates Classic - aiming for one a month

Finished Book 9...The Book Thief...I loved it! I think this one made my top 10 ever!

Now I am reading....ok...I admit, I am reading....Harry Potter. I never read it for myself, and I am tired of the Christian controversy...especially in light of reading the "Great Books." So far, it seems like a really tame Lemony Snickett with a pointy hat and broom...LOL.

~~Faithe

I know the new list is up but I wanted to keep up! I finished "Crossroads of Twilight" by Robert Jordan today. It took week 7 AND week 8. His books are massive. Probably my least favorite in the series so far, but I'm looking forward to getting to the new book that came out in October.

That brings my total to 10 books read. Yipee!