Menu

If you are a Sam's Club member what is always on your list?

I am about to go to Sam's for the first time since we got a card through dh's work! :)

My mom always tells me that you have to be careful b/c just their prices are not lower on all things. So what are the best buys that are always in your cart???

I should add that I am only going to spend $100 there each month (or at least that's the goal right now. I reserve the right to change my mind! :D

Produce

Canned goods

Paper towels

Toilet paper

Some meats (check price against local markets)

Frozen veggies (plain)

Butter

Milk (I'll buy 2 gallons. We go through one a week. One gets frozen as soon as we get home.)

Eggs

ETA: tall kitchen trash bags (I buy a box once ever 6 months), Members Mark dish liquid, MM dishwasher liquid, All laundry soap, Snuggle liquid fabric softener.

Edited by Parrothead

Milk

Sarah Lee Delightful Bread

A box of individual serving size Baked Lays, Cheetos, etc. (not a super deal but keeps my eating under control)

Nutragrain Bars

Kashi Cereal Pack

Whole Wheat Tortillas (they are the best I have ever eaten!)

Box of Mixed Greens

Lunch Meat

Printer Ink

Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches

Fruit that is in Season

A big bag of Brocoli, Cauliflower, Carrots (sometimes I heat them up or we just eat as a snack fresh)

Big bag of frozen mixed veggies

Laundry Detergent

Fabric Softener

which reminds me that I need to go!

There is this most amazing tomato salsa in the aisle by the cheeses. Yum-O!

I buy their Romaine lettuce pack. It's .28 more than buying one pack at the grocery. And even if some of it goes bad, it's still a better deal. I also buy water and Fiber One granola bars.

TP

paper towels

feminine products

laundry detergent

diapers and pullups (though we no longer need these)

we love their frozen breaded flounder filets (Simply Bake--Treasures from the Sea)

they always seem to have good quality fresh fruit at good prices

that's all I can think of right now!

Here are the things I ONLY buy from Sam's, but they are not on my list each time that I go:

organic spring salad mix, the frozen hamburgers and bags of fries, paper plates and plastic cups, spaghetti sauce and noodles, velveeta mac and cheese, detergent (dish and laundry), batteries, toilet paper, paper towels, pineapple spears, strawberries, onions, buttermilk flavored eggo waffles, hormel precooked bacon, blocks of cheese, beer, canola oil, bread flour, sugar, olive oil, maple syrup.

Things that I sometimes buy from Sam's:

books (I always browse their book section, I just saw Pioneer Woman's cookbook there this weekend), clothing (I check out what they have when I notice something different), movies (they don't always have the best price, especially for new releases- you can usually get those cheaper the day they are released at Target or Wal-Mart), baked goods, other snacks, meat.

I always get there big bottles of calcium citrate since they have the best price on that.

I buy Kleenex and Cascade there and ziplock bags, liquid hand soap.

Shredded cheese and the extra sharp block cheese,

spring green salad mix and the 6 pack of romaine lettuce.

Mushrooms, I sometimes buy tomatoes, and some of their seasonal fruits are great deals.

I buy my frozen mixed veggies there but the individual kinds I do better at the grocery store.

I use to buy their whole wheat tortillas and their breadsticks until I started making all my own bread products.

Their milk price is good but there are too far away for me to use it for my regular supply

I think they have good prices on their spices. I used to buy all of them there until I started buying from Country Life.

I buy my olive oil there.

Their brown sugar, sugar and flour prices are comparable with good sales (but not great sales) so I will pick it up if I'm there and getting low so I don't have to run around as much.

I use to buy more of their prepared frozen foods but as my family has grown a single package no longer feeds us and 2 packages gets pricey for a single meal. However they do have a good price on Stouffer's Lasagne.

I buy the huge cans of tomatoes. I used to buy spaghetti sauce there but now I make my own with the big cans of tomatoes because it's a bit cheaper and we like the flavor better. I bought a huge bag of garlic last time and I was planning to buy it again but then I noticed it was grown in China so I decided to skip it.

Lettuce

Eggs

Romano Cheese

American Cheese

Velveeta:001_huh:

Laughing Cow cheese

bread

Hershey Kisses

Hershey Brownie Mix

Water filters

Frozen veggies

Frozen chicken

Mac N' Cheese

Salsa

Cheese sauce

Nachos

Member Mark Paper Towels and Toilet Paper

Mucinex

Pepcid

Fish Oil

Other vitamins

Also occasionally you will see things priced unusually low, then I may the item:)

The thing to be careful with is not to buy all the extra goodies:D

My always-buy-at-Sam's items are fancy cheeses, potatotes, onions, bell peppers. . .

Unless I have a great coupon price, all cheeses are on my list. Especially fancy cheeses that you can't get coupons for. (goat, gouda, fontina, gruyere. . .)

Also, cream and milk.

Chocolate chips, cocoa, and spices we use in large quantity (chili powder, taco seasoning, rosemary, basil, etc.).

Plastic cups, plastic utensils. . .

Big bags of baby spinach, romaine hearts, bell peppers, potatoes, onions, berries in season. . .

Meats are usually a very-good-but-not-fantastic price. If I need a big load of pork chops or ribs or whatever and don't have time to wait for the best sale price, then I buy them at Sam's.

If you're a big couponer, then your savings are more variable on things like chocolate, spices, cheddar, etc. . .but the fancy cheeses are definitely great prices no matter, and the produce prices are very good on most items if you can use the quantity they sell.

HTH

little cups for the bathroom, toilet paper, honey, peanut butter, chocolate chips, nuts, meatballs, trashbags, paper towels, frozen chicken breasts (the price is better than Walmart, at least our Walmart), granola bars, yeast, and paper products we might need, such as paper plates, cups, plastic forks/spoons, etc...

That's all I can think of for now. I have priced everything at one point, and know that these are better deals for me.

Milk is about a dollar / gallon cheaper!!! We go through almost a gallon a day, so this pays for the membership for us!

Huge container of organic spinach (around $3)

Large container of blueberries (prices vary, but are generally very good)

Walnuts (you can freeze extra)

Large bags of frozen vegetables

Apples

Whole grain bread

It's always worth looking at books and clothes--there are sometimes great deals!

Milk

eggs

bacon

frozen fruit

frozen vegetables

fresh vegetables like salad, tomatoes, peppers

toilet paper

all my meats

chicken

fish frozen and fresh

whole wheat thins sandwich thingies (forgot the name)

shredded cheese

lunch meat

sliced cheese

mayo

some spices

nuts (raw nuts only, no oils added)

dried fruit (no added sugar)

zip lock bags

oxy clean

sometimes books or dvd's

Can't remember what else right now but I shop there frequently and buy most of my stuff there. The rest of the stuff is mosly bought at Aldi's.

These are my always buy at Sam's items:

Breaded Flounder - Treasures of Sea (a quick dinner meal or fish sandwiches in a hurry)

Unbreaded flounder - individually wrapped filets

Fresh chicken tenders - always $1.99 and more versatile than boneless skinless whole breasts at market - I divide into family sized servings and freeze when I get home

Eye of round roast feeds a large family or average family with leftovers for under $8 (a nice company or ministry no fail meat for under $10)

Steaks for special occasion meals in summer are always cheaper at Sam's and they are great

Beef stew (when it's cold) - weigh and divide into bags and freeze when I get home

Rotisserie chicken - larger than grocery store varieties and cheaper - I find it a "must have" versatile meat for wraps, chicken salad, green salad with chopped chicken, etc. for quick easy meals and sandwiches

Laundry detergent and dishwasher detergent

Double roll Member's Mark Tall Kitchen Bags last 6 months

Toilet Tissue - My fav. brand, not the MM

Fresh organic spinach

Fresh organic mixed greens for salad

Avacodas in the mesh bag

Russet Potatoes

Bananas

Seasonal fresh berries - strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, black berries

Navel oranges in season

Butter

Eggs

Tropicana OJ in gallon jug

Chili Powder (seasonally)

Cinnamon

Yeast for bread making

Diced tomatoes - case

Extra Virgin Olive Oil packaged in Italy (that's important)

Canned chicken - for chicken salad and quiche and more

Canned tuna - you know

Lunch meats in large plastic container

Sliced cheeses

Cabot individually wrapped cheese snacks

Goat cheese - Chevre - cheaper than anywhere and great for quiche, pizza, salad, spreads, etc.

Great Parmesean, Aged Gouda, Asiago and other hard cheeses - we keep the Parm on had to grate over pizza, pasta, salad, etc. all the time

Northland Pomegranate Cranberry Juice

Motts Apple Juice

Frozen stir fry vegetable, mixed vegetable (broc., carrots, caul.) and sometimes you find organic frozen vegies and fruit

Whole broiler chickens in a two pack are bigger and cheaper than grocery

Raw whole mixed nuts - no longer available at our store :(

Tortilla chips for a crowd and salsa mentioned above

Large container of sour cream when needed for holiday baking and taking

Bird Seed - 6 bags in a large box of premium bird seed that our birds and squirrels have loved for years

All our prescription meds and supplements

Eye exams and contacts and glasses (when needed)

Copy paper for printer

Tires (Michelin) for our automobiles as needed (will rotate and balance free for life of tire)

Take and bake fresh store made pizza with meat under $8 and some less than that.

Birthday or team party cakes are cheapest and best from Sam's. I am talking 1/2 or full sheet size not quarter sheet as in grocery stores - there're always cheaper and very good.

I shop at Sam's twice a month and all these items will be purchased at least once in the monthly cycle or as needed when I run out. I try new things all the time when they are demo'd and we think we would like them and the price is right. On the weeks I don't shop at Sam's, I fill in with items from grocery store. I watch the prices and if there is a bogo at a local store, I will drop it from my Sam's list for for the grocery store price but that rarely happens with the above list. I am shopping for 2 adults, 3 grown boy/men children and lunch for my gdd that I home school.

Edited by Georgia On My Mind

I belong to Costco, but here are the things I almost always get:

milk

half n half

Cascade

Coffee

frozen Chicken breasts

bread

tuna

oatmeal

soap

contact solution

toilet paper and tissues

cereal

It is important to know your prices, or make a price list to be sure it's worth it. But a few of this items I listed cannot be bought anywhere else as cheaply. The milk alone is a big savings.

This is my typical every 2 week Click N Pull Order:

eggs

butter

sliced cheese

shredded cheese

milk

sour cream

potatoes

broccoli

onions

bananas

spinach

celelry

carrots

oranges

apples

coffee

honey

# 10 cans tomatoes

peanutbutter

toiletpaper

When I run out I get:

yeast

spices

baking supplies

white flour

sugar

pancake syrup

frozen blueberries

white rice

trash bags

zip lock bags

Edited by Quiver0f10

Sam's is one of my favorite places to shop.

Gas (if there is a gas station)

Get film developed or digital photos printed

Paper towels

Toilet paper

Garbage bags

Vitamins

Generic Tylenol & IB

Generic Allergy Medication

Hydrocortizone cream

Bandaids

Floss

Sonic toothbrush refill heads

Hand Soap

Bath Soap

Dishwasher soap

Downy

Books

DVDs

Clothes for children

Mens Jeans

Computer ink refills

Pillows

Eggs

Cream Cheese

Milk

Cheese slices

Cheese, grated

Sharp cheese

Jack Cheese

Deli meats

Salami

Hot link sausages

Boneless skinless Chicken breasts

Fresh Meat on occasion

Water

Carrots

Mini bell peppers

Celery

Lettuce

Fruit

Canned vegetables

Canned fruit

Applesauce

Egg Noodles

Salsa

Lipton decaf tea bags

Spices

Sugar

Brown Sugar

Cheese dip

Occasionally

Chips

Cheese balls

Graham crackers

Garetto Mix (sp)

French bread

Muffins

Chocolate bundt cake (yum)

Pumpkin pie

Cinnamon Apple Pie

Their bakery cakes are wonderful! We buy all our birthday cakes from them. We really prefer the "whipped frosting" they offer.

Of course there are always "extra things" to look at and buy occasionally :).

They have a great return policy and really stand behind what the sell.

Happy Shopping!

This is my typical every 2 week Click N Pull Order:

eggs

butter

sliced cheese

shredded cheese

milk

sour cream

potatoes

broccoli

onions

bananas

spinach

celelry

carrots

oranges

apples

coffee

honey

# 10 cans tomatoes

peanutbutter

toiletpaper

When I run out I get:

yeast

spices

baking supplies

white flour

sugar

pancake syrup

frozen blueberries

white rice

trash bags

zip lock bags

Quiver, how much do you have to order in order to qualify for the Click and Pull? Last time when I was there just to check out prices the day we got our photos taken I saw all the pre-loaded carts ready to go. That would be niicccceee!

boneless, skinless chicken- family pack

dog food

TP

feminie products

RX

butter

cheese

Olive oil

milk

cottage cheese

fresh fruit and veggies

tea/ bulk coffee

office supplies

bulk yeast

bulk seasoning

bulk baking supplies

noodles

sour cream

cottage cheese

5# peanut butter & jelly

books/DVD's

bread

pretzals, chips, crackers

toothpaste/shampoo

dishsoap

auto dish soap

car supplies- oil and anti freeze solution. Tires- they have a 1 year warrenty that is terrific!

(we also replaced all of our bedding from the fire, sheets, pillows, feather down pad).

glasses and contact supplies

clothes and toys (they have great after holiday sales)

Trampoline (we'll replace ours that was burned from there again and hope to add a pool -they have great seasonal items).

Just got back from Sam's:

Fresh boneless, skinless chicken breast--$1.77 lb. I cut them into smaller pieces and freeze, or cook them and dice before freezing (for soups).

peanut butter

walnuts

craisins

vitamins and supplements

90% lean ground beef (usually around $2.49 lb.)

maple syrup

fresh baby spinach

microwave popcorn

I agree with your mom--only buy what you would regularly buy at the grocery, and have an idea of the price there. I have found Sam's to be less expensive on most of the regular food items I buy.

Quiver, how much do you have to order in order to qualify for the Click and Pull? Last time when I was there just to check out prices the day we got our photos taken I saw all the pre-loaded carts ready to go. That would be niicccceee!

I don't think there is a minimum amount. I have ordered under $100 and much larger orders :D I absolutely love click n pull! I order it and DH picks it up the next day on his way home from work. Can't beat that!

I *LOVE* getting cat litter from Sam's. That, meat, and fruit are on my short list every time I go. Oil and other baking products are sometimes items. I saw someone else with yeast on their list, and with all the baking I've been doing lately, boy, do I need to add that to the Sam's list!

I do buy Kleenex, paper towels, detergents, and toilet paper there. I know they're on par with grocery store prices, but it saves me the space in my cart and I can store it in my garage without losing a roll here or a box there, which makes it worth it.

I have shopped Sam's now for years.

Honey

Frozen green beans

Frozen Peas

Frozen broc/caul/carrot mix

package of romaine lettuse

Celery

Bananas

These are things that I get from there every month. I try to keep my visits down to once a month.

Paper towels

Toilet paper

pecans (raw)

These I purchase from there every 2-3 months.

I don't buy desserts or prepackaged foods there as we never use them any more. If my cheese doesn't come in with my food club order it is least expensive there. IF I run out of eggs from my farm sources I purchase them there.

You do really have to watch as you can get majorly sucked in to the convenience items in the freezer.

Things we buy/have bought that are always cheaper there:

DiGiorno pizzas

bulk shredded cheese

Kashi cereal

Planter's individual nut packets (in boxes)

frozen breakfast/lunch pockets

Huggies (but they don't take coupons)

nutritional supplements -Member's Mark brand

Also,

dry erase markers in quantity

packs of binders

pens

tires

Happy shopping!

Good luck staying in budget at Sam's! We had to quit going because we would always find so many "bargains" that "we just couldn't pass up" we ended up overspending every time. And when I say "we" here I mean....well, not me. If you have better impulse control your experience may vary.

Now that I know about click-n-pull, I'm tempted to try that, but just setting foot inside Sam's is dangerous for some members of my family.

We live about the same distance from Aldi and Sam's. I use Aldi more, but there are some things that are cheaper at Sam’s than Aldi:

Salsa

Pure Vanilla

Butter

Extra virgin olive oil

Fiber One bars

Cheese

Bacon – the already-cooked kind

Spices

Chicken breasts have been on sale a lot - $1.77/lb.

Pork roasts $1.68/lb

Ground beef 90/10 – If you have a Business membership, you can go in early before others and get the marked down meats.

Laundry detergent

Toilet paper (POM)

If you're having a big party:

paper plates, cups, plastic forks/spoons, etc

Where you can really save $$$:

Tires

Computer ink

Glasses/contacts

Gas (if you can go there often)

Trampoline

--

Some things just taste better than the Aldi brand:

Tuna

Frozen broccoli

Sugar

Brown Sugar

Vanilla

Honey

Chocolate Chips

Butter (if I haven't found a better sale)

tortilla chips

salsa (fresh)

tilamook cheese (sp)

salt (for water softner)

Bagel Bites

Tyson Chicken nuggets

frozen fruit for smoothies

pancake syrup

fresh berries

bananas

large can of crushed tomato

garlic (minced)

spices (as needed)

That is the main list. Extras get thrown in :) depending on who is shopping or how hungry we are

We went last night and I had a set amount of money to spend so I tried to be very selective it what I bought. I plan on going once a month and it will take me a few months to get a really good stock of things. I had some bigger ticket items but many of them will last for 2-3 months and they were at huge savings compared to my grocery store - and they were all items that rarely if ever have coupons. My very best buys I put * by.

I got:

*First cold pressed olive oil

*Pure maple syrup

Cliff Organic Kidz bars

*Raw Almonds

Pistachios

Cheerios

Juice boxes (rarely use these so they'll last me for months!)

Organic baby carrots

bag of onions (will chop in food processor and freeze into 1 cup servings)

*organic blueberries

blackberries

Fresh chicken breast that I divided up and froze for a few meals (good price but not amazing)

Frozen Tilapia

Frozen blueberries

Frozen strawberries

So many people mentioned that cheese was so low there but I guess my local store has great sales on cheese b/c I can get it lower there. I saw so many things I want to get next month and the month after and the months after that! :)

Thanks to everyone. It was so helpful to have an idea of what I was looking for before I ever went in!!!